• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

august 2013 codes for rental cars?

well, we leave in 2 days and my rental rates are up from the lowest I got. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone! I do not think there has ever been a monthly offical car rental thread that has EVER gotten this big! :)

Everyone who has not yet traveled, enjoy and stay safe. Until next time....

I used the Costco contract and visa 30 at Alamo and the the price beat those through costcotravel. :thumbsup2

I had to do it 3 times though!!! Every time I went to view/modify the reservation, the base rate went up! Same thing happen when I clicked on the online check in! The total rate increase by about $17.

But I still got the lower base and total rates when I booked a new reservation. :confused3

Anyone else experience this problem? Any problems if the confirmation shows a lower base rate from the computer when picking up the car?

So I booked a new reservation with the lower rate and DID not try to view it and went back and cancelled all the other previous ones. Lol. I will not do online check in and print my email confirmation and hope for the best!!

Is it just visa30? I can't get it to work. All the coupons are gone off the Costco site!!

We leave Friday and I am actually surprised how little movement there has been this week so far. Rates are up about $15 from the low I booked at, but still not a bad rate. There is usually a lot more volatility though this close.

That is not bad for two weeks. 136.+/- each week for a standard (if alamo or national you will be getting a full size car) is a lot better than some rates that are out there.

Yup it's Alamo. Pretty happy with the rate...currently it's about $3.00 higher than what I have. My final cost will be $250.82 as I get to keep the commission, so I don't think I'll do any better. But I will keep checking until I leave on Thursday:thumbsup2

I used the Costco contract and visa 30 at Alamo and the the price beat those through costcotravel. :thumbsup2

I had to do it 3 times though!!! Every time I went to view/modify the reservation, the base rate went up! Same thing happen when I clicked on the online check in! The total rate increase by about $17.

But I still got the lower base and total rates when I booked a new reservation. :confused3

Anyone else experience this problem? Any problems if the confirmation shows a lower base rate from the computer when picking up the car?

So I booked a new reservation with the lower rate and DID not try to view it and went back and cancelled all the other previous ones. Lol. I will not do online check in and print my email confirmation and hope for the best!!

This is exactly what happened to me. Mine went up about $15 and it was the base rate that went up.

Problem is, the same thing will happen to you if you either online checkin or view the reservation. And I imagine it will when you hit the kiosk or the rental counter too. What I did was bring the original confirmation on paper. If you don't have that, I imagine the original email confirmation would work too. I did online checkin the day before (which showed the higher rate), then kiosk (also the higher rate), then I took my rental contract and original paperwork with the lower rate and they adjusted it for me.

This seems to be another problem with their horrible website...

Pick up tomorrow. Prices identical for Full Size with second driver. Anyone have experiences with either company as they both let you choose your vehicle. Thoughts?

Also option for Budget at same price for premium. What cars are people being given at Budget in the Premium class?

I just did online check in with Alamo for my arrival tomorrow. Too easy! The only thing is that although the option came up for a second driver (no charge), it wouldn't take my information. :confused3

Since we did online checkin, we just go on to where the cars get picked up. Is there anywhere in the garage that we can add the second driver if we wanted to? or do we have to go to the desk to arrange that? I may just let it slide.....my DH does most of the driving anyway but I thought it might be nice to have the option.

I just re-booked my car on costcotravel.com and went from 240 to 205 for a rental from 8/24-9/4 full size car. Switched from Enterprise to Budget. Thats a ridiculous 18.60 a day including all fees.:dance3:

I just got my Alamo rate down from $144 to $127! :cool1:

I just did online check in with Alamo for my arrival tomorrow. Too easy! The only thing is that although the option came up for a second driver (no charge), it wouldn't take my information. :confused3

Since we did online checkin, we just go on to where the cars get picked up. Is there anywhere in the garage that we can add the second driver if we wanted to? or do we have to go to the desk to arrange that? I may just let it slide.....my DH does most of the driving anyway but I thought it might be nice to have the option.

Good question. I know we've added the second driver at the exit booth when renting with National, but I'm nor sure about Alamo. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along to answer your question.

Pick up tomorrow. Prices identical for Full Size with second driver. Anyone have experiences with either company as they both let you choose your vehicle. Thoughts?

Did you do your Alamo with Standard instead of Fullsize? It's usually a small amount less and you pick from the same aisle. Not sure if that's true with Enterprise or how their car selection works.

I just re-booked my car on costcotravel.com and went from 240 to 205 for a rental from 8/24-9/4 full size car. Switched from Enterprise to Budget. Thats a ridiculous 18.60 a day including all fees.:dance3:

I just went into the Budget site and used the same BCD and coupon from Costco but did pay now and knocked it down to 185 for the 8/24 through 9/4 fullsize rental. Now its 16.80 a day. Anyone ever get anything lower than this for a fullsize?

I just went into the Budget site and used the same BCD and coupon from Costco but did pay now and knocked it down to 185 for the 8/24 through 9/4 fullsize rental. Now its 16.80 a day. Anyone ever get anything lower than this for a fullsize?

I am currently at $16.29 base rate for a standard/full size with Alamo. I have many times gotten it well below $15 in the past. I am happy with the rate, but it is a bit high from what I have experienced on many trips before.

What are the actual numbers you used for the BCD and coupon code from Costco?

Just some notes on my Alamo rental experience, from about 11am on 8/3 to yesterday, 8/12 at about 5pm:

I booked a Standard with the Insider's discount and the Visa $30 code (AD2338FDF). I checked in online so I did not stop at the counter or a kiosk.

In the full size row, there were several Impalas, a couple of (dark colored) Altimas, and to my (almost) delight, a white Passat. But I opened the door of the Passat to a breath-taking smell of car deodorizer that would surely give me a headache. And I *didn't* know what the car would smell like if and when the deodorizer smell faded.

I went down the row looking for a lower mileage Impala. Most were in the high teens and dark colored. I found one that was around 10k but it made a funny noise when I started it. I went to the booth and asked if I had any other options and the nice manager took me to the National Executive Selection aisle where I opted for a 2014 Silver (2?)LT Impala with about 5500 miles on it. I was pretty happy with that!

At the gate, my $30 Visa code had mysteriously changed to a free day so I'm glad I looked at the paperwork and saw the total didn't match my printed confirmation. Without the code, the agent could do much (quickly) but luckily I was able to find it on my phone. She keyed it in and, voila!, the new total matched my expected number. (So write down that code just to be safe!)

Overall, it was a nice car. BUT the rear passenger window did not work (at least it was stuck closed!) and there were electrical clicking sounds coming from that door every so often. And a little past half way into our trip, the check engine light came on. And the remote start stopped working. (I assume related to the CE light.) Not cool when you're coming back to the car in those hot, hot theme park parking lots! It's nice to start it up when you get off the tram just to take the edge off the built-up heat. (I reseated the gas cap but the CE light was still lit when I returned the car after several starts and 70 or so more miles.) I told the agent about the issues when I returned the car. No extra discount was offered, but at $179.xx for a 10 day rental, I have no complaints.

As for the 2014 Impala, my experience is only one data point but I'd pay attention to reliability ratings before buying one - or wait for the 2015s. (But I'm still happier with my 2012 Hyundai Genesis - which didn't cost any more than a loaded V6 Impala - except for the remote start and the longer driver's seat bottom. The Impala won on those two points.)

I have two reservations with Alamo at the same price for a standard car for 13 days- 240.09 each. One is with the Visa coupon, and the other is with the United coupon, both for 30. If I use the United Mileage Plus coupon, will I need to show any kind of membership card or anything? I do have a Visa card but would prefer to have the option to use Discover if I want.

Overall, it was a nice car. BUT the rear passenger window did not work (at least it was stuck closed!) and there were electrical clicking sounds coming from that door every so often. And a little past half way into our trip, the check engine light came on. And the remote start stopped working. (I assume related to the CE light.) Not cool when you're coming back to the car in those hot, hot theme park parking lots! It's nice to start it up when you get off the tram just to take the edge off the built-up heat. (I reseated the gas cap but the CE light was still lit when I returned the car after several starts and 70 or so more miles.) I told the agent about the issues when I returned the car. No extra discount was offered, but at $179.xx for a 10 day rental, I have no complaints.

Yikes!!! Always makes me nervous when the check engine light comes on. Sorry to hear you had so many issues ... who'da thought, with such a low mileage vehicle??

I have two reservations with Alamo at the same price for a standard car for 13 days- 240.09 each. One is with the Visa coupon, and the other is with the United coupon, both for 30. If I use the United Mileage Plus coupon, will I need to show any kind of membership card or anything? I do have a Visa card but would prefer to have the option to use Discover if I want.

You might, and you might not. I am in the same situation as you.....I would prefer to use my MasterCard vs. my Visa, as my MC does not charge me a conversion fee from USD to CDN but the Visa does (2.5%). That said, I don't a have membership to the United program, so I decided to keep the Visa coupon over the United coupon just so I don't have any potential issues at the time I pick up the vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter