August 15, 2016: Wonder to Alaska!

55899911, member: 573890"]For Fish extender gifts, are there 'dates' to when we distribute them? Does everybody do it on the first day or throughout the cruise?[/QUOTE
On the ones I've done people delivered one different days so you got something in your FE most every day.

This will be our 3rd cruise with DCL (our last was in 2013), and my parents first (so happy they agreed to join us!) - all the excursions we did were through DCL - I know lots of people have opinions about booking on your own vs with DCL, but I like the peace of mind it gives me to have them take care of everything. We've done the following excursions:

All Aboard Steam Train in Skagway - this is one of the options to ride on the White Pass Railway, and I think the most expensive option for just rail tours. You ride on one of the only still operating authentic steam trains in the world up the mountain, then back down after a short pause at the top with champagne/apple cider and a little ornament gift for everyone. You don't get off the train at all, and no food is offered, so make sure you have a good meal before you go - I believe round trip it was 4-5 hours. The scenery was beautiful - if you are a shutter bug like me you can stand out on the platforms between cars for photographs. It was a bit chilly when we went, so I didn't have anyone fighting for the spot and I stayed outside most of the journey. Inside the car, they have a host that tells you stories about the trip and the local town & culture for most of the trip. Might be a bit boring for younger children, but a great experience for the adults. There are lots of other options for seeing the white pass that are cheaper - you go on the same tracks but the engine is a diesel one instead of steam - might be a better value for those with bigger groups.

Mountain Point Snorkelling Adventure in Ketchikan - yes, there is snorkelling in Alaska! What a unique experience! You put on very thick wetsuits which keep you quite warm, and your guides take you out into a nice protected bay to snorkel. They bring up wildlife from the bottom for you to see, like sea stars, scallops, and crabs, and if you want to go down yourself you can get a weight belt to help. You are pretty much free to snorkel on your own within the marked area, which was quite large, but it was more fun to stay with the guides and see all the fun stuff they could find. We spent about 1 hour in the water - at first I was very worried about the cold, but I didn't actually start to get chilly until the last 15 mins or so. When you get back to shore they pour hot water down your suit to help you warm up. Definitely a fun and interesting trip!

Alaska Whales and Glacier Photo Safari in Juneau - there are quite a few similar excursions on smaller boats with this tour operator - I believe they are this one, Alaska Whales & Rainforest Trails, and Alaska Whales and Science Adventure. They are all quite similar with a whale watching trip and a trip through the trails to view the Mendenhall Glacier. Since I love photography I picked this one - one of the guides was a photographer, and on the bus ride out to the dock they discussed some tips and tricks for taking photos of whales and the trails. Some folks without cameras were on the tour and still had a great time, but if you're not that into photography I'd probably go with one of the other tours - I've heard the science-y one is a favourite with kids. I plan to try to book one of these again when we go in August - we did have one booked for our first cruise but unfortunately all the excursions in Juneau were cancelled due to poor weather on that trip.

Neets Bay Bear Watch by Floatplane in Ketchikan - this was very amazing but very pricey. You take a float plane out to a salmon hatchery to view the bears. Beautiful scenery on the plane ride, and we were so lucky and got very close to the bears - they weren't interested in us at all due to the unbelievable # of salmon there to eat. I wish we could have spent more time at the hatchery - I think it was 60-90mins?? The only problem was that due to some rough weather, we had to wait for quite a long time to be picked back up by the plane, but weren't allowed to leave the waiting area to do more bear viewing as they didn't know when they'd be able to land. Also, the ride back was quite bumpy and a bit scary for me - but my husband said it was all normal and good and that that's just how float planes are sometimes. I definitely recommend it for anyone who loves wildlife and/or enjoys photography as I got some amazing close up shots.

I hope this helps! I'm really enjoying dreaming and planning for this cruise already. I'm looking over my old navigators and trying to remember how everything went! If anyone has any more questions I'd be happy to try to answer!

Aby

Ok, Time to finalize the Fish extender lists! Please let me know if you are still wanting to participate. I have sent messages to those I could but some do not have enough posts to receive them yet.

Could not contact:
Melissa Gates
Csel
DisneyLessy
Caloucon
Toy5tory
Out of curiosity, do fish extenders group meet? just to see who is who?

Thanks. And yeah, I'm in that facebook group, too. I can see how much more active it is than here. I joined here before I found that one, so I'm kind of late to game there, but have been reading past posts and leaning a lot. When it comes to vacations, DH and I like to book some things and play it by ear with others. That way we have options, but aren't completely committed to things if we want to change our plans. I know the FE group is smaller here and I know some of you have joined some on the facebook group. Still deciding if I might want to add more to my FE, pixie dusting and/or do recipe exchange as well.
This fb sounds interesting, will look into, thanks for the information though!

Thanks!! this will be our 1st Disney Cruise as a family of 4. Getting super excited as the cruise date is getting closer!

First time cruiser with my DH as well & very excited!

For Fish extender gifts, are there 'dates' to when we distribute them? Does everybody do it on the first day or throughout the cruise?

You can deliver anytime during the cruise. I hear it's best not to deliver on the last night because everyone is already packing to go home. Some people join more than one group as well, like on facebook. Being this is my first cruise, I decided to keep it simple and only FE with this smaller DIS group.

yes please!! working on more 'posts' to have messaging option!

I believe you have enough posts already!

Last edited:
I know some groups assign specific days for delivery, but I don't want to add to anyone's stress level, so I don't. You can deliver whenever you want :)

For Fish extender gifts, are there 'dates' to when we distribute them? Does everybody do it on the first day or throughout the cruise?

So I just found out you can pre-book (for free) a character breakfast and special Princess or Frozen meet and greets! Go to your reservation, on board fun, then look at each day to see what's offered. :tinker:

So I just found out you can pre-book (for free) a character breakfast and special Princess or Frozen meet and greets! Go to your reservation, on board fun, then look at each day to see what's offered. :tinker:
Thank you!! sooo going to do this!

Already booked a Disney VIP Character Breakfast for Tracy Arm day. Today I decided to add a Frozen Meet & Greet to our itinerary on Day 3. When I looked this morning, there were still openings for the Character Breakfast, Frozen M&G and Princess Gathering on Day 2 & 3, Frozen M&G on Day 4 and Frozen M&G and Princess Gathering on Day 7 if you haven't reserved yet.

Did anyone else book a GTY room? We got our room assignment today, so check if you did.
It looks like our cruise is fully booked. There are no cabins left

:tinker: LAST CALL FOR JOINING FE (Fish Extenders), see page one for more information if interested. Last date to join is June 30th...

Hello everyone,
I have lurked and learned for years but this is my first post... My husband, mother, and I will be coming on our first cruise. We would like to participate in the FE, can someone help me with how to sign up? Any other amazing things I should know of? For a first time cruiser I have so much to learn! We have excursions, character breakfast, and palo brunch/dinner booked.
Thank you for all the posts... I have learned from each of you!!

Let's use this thread to discuss our amazing trip of a lifetime, join FE groups if desired, and share our excitement as the date grows nearer...

:tigger:LAST DAY TO JOIN FE: JUNE 30!!!:tigger:

FE LIST

kuhltiffany
MarleneP (CONFIRMED)
Viviene Anthony (CONFIRMED)
micandkay (CONFIRMED)
time for travel (CONFIRMED)
DisneyLessy x 2 cabins (CONFIRMED)
Csel (CONFIRMED)
Toy5tory (CONFIRMED)

???
The Notorious RIC
Melissa Gates x 3 cabins
Caloucon
Raya

FE participants will be put into groups of 11 (so you give to 10 cabins) after the PIF (pay in full) date. Room numbers will be provided to group members only when finalized. You are welcome to join more than one group if you like!

If you want to join the FE, just PM me your names, ages of kids and room number and I'll start a list. I'll be separating/organizing them in groups of 11 (so you have 10 cabins to exchange with) closer the sailing date.

How do I private message? I just joined the board and I can't figure out how to message. I would like to join the FE group for myself, husband, and mother.

:tinker: LAST CALL FOR JOINING FE (Fish Extenders), see page one for more information if interested. Last date to join is June 30th...
Super hoping to get added to the FE group... Been looking at websites for ideas for gifts and have tons of ideas. What a fun cruise experience. Thanks to all that have created such fun treasures! Kuhltiffany, I think I figured out how to message you... Hope I did it correct!

Hello everyone,
I have lurked and learned for years but this is my first post... My husband, mother, and I will be coming on our first cruise. We would like to participate in the FE, can someone help me with how to sign up? Any other amazing things I should know of? For a first time cruiser I have so much to learn! We have excursions, character breakfast, and palo brunch/dinner booked.
Thank you for all the posts... I have learned from each of you!!

Ahoy and welcome aboard! :wave: Being a first time cruiser myself, I did a lot of lurking and learning also. Looks like you are on the right course having all you wanted booked. Lucky you for booking a Palo Brunch. That is the only thing I couldn't book at check-in, so I can't wait to get on the ship to hopefully make a reservation.

How do I private message? I just joined the board and I can't figure out how to message. I would like to join the FE group for myself, husband, and mother.

Looks like you have more than the 10 posts needed to private message and just in time! Hopefully Tiffany got your message, but I have added you to our FE conversation, so you can add your information yourself and join in on the fun. :thumbsup2

If you want to join the FE, just PM me your names, ages of kids and room number and I'll start a list. I'll be separating/organizing them in groups of 11 (so you have 10 cabins to exchange with) closer the sailing date.
Hi, I noticed at the top of this thread the FE says closed.... But my user name isn't on it now. Did I miss it? I'm not very good at using the Internet. We have three rooms six people between us. Is it to late now?

Sorry, we messaged you a few times in the last few months and got no response, we needed your personal information to add you to the group. The main group is closed now, if we get more people there is always the possibility of starting a "pixie dust" group...

Hi, I noticed at the top of this thread the FE says closed.... But my user name isn't on it now. Did I miss it? I'm not very good at using the Internet. We have three rooms six people between us. Is it to late now?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter