At what price point can you no longer afford deluxe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackacex2

Mouseketeer
Where do you draw the line on what you will pay for a night at a Disney Resort?

Right now using Disney's 30% off spring room offer, a lagoon view at the poly on a weeknight goes for $539. Theme park view club level is $908.

A week at the poly with dining and park hopping for a family of 4 costs between 20 and 30 percent of the average american's gross annual income. (about 10k of 50k per year).

What percentage of your gross salary are you willing to put toward a Disney vacation? At what point is it too much?

A family making 50k a year is not going to be staying at the poly. But if they did, I hope they have a great vacation. Only persons money I care about is mine.

Rahjeir said:
A family making 50k a year is not going to be staying at the poly. But if they did, I hope they have a great vacation. Only persons money I care about is mine.

I am just surprised so many people have that kind of money. I am guessing tons of people who stay at these resorts do it by borrowing money and/or not saving any. Disney is taking its deluxe resorts into the millionaire category.

blackacex2 said:
I am just surprised so many people have that kind of money. I am guessing tons of people who stay at these resorts do it by borrowing money and/or not saving any. Disney is taking its deluxe resorts into the millionaire category.

It is called having a great career and yes people do and can go to wdw without borrowing and still have a substantial savings. You are judging again, thinking only irresponsible people stay deluxe. You come off in all your posts as jealous and condescending.

blackacex2 said:

The people staying there are a small percentage of the population and I'm sure they can afford it, just as I can. My WDW vacations, even staying club level, are cheaper than my international vacations.

I don't understand why this is important to you.

It is called having a great career and yes people do and can go to wdw without borrowing and still have a substantial savings. You are judging again, thinking only irresponsible people stay deluxe. You come off in all your posts as jealous and condescending.

Couldn't of said it any better.

blackacex2 said:

Funny that you are now bashing on people staying at deluxe resorts when you have a crazy number of threads all comparing what deluxe resort you plan to stay at.
So are you one of the " tons of people" borrowing money and/ or not saving any?

You seem to have a strange fixation on how others choose t spend money for vacations.

blackacex2 said:

Yes people really do have that kind of money. I worked as a travel agent for the last few years before I became a SAHM. In the world of cruising the most expensive/most desired rooms sell first- even in this economy. When given the option of paying $1000 more for a deluxe resort in Mexico (4 stars as opposed to three) 90% of my clients chose the more expensive.

People value their travel experiences and WILL pay a premium for location and service. Yes it is extravagant for some but if you can afford it, why not?

I personally stay deluxe because I enjoy them. We always pay cash and I never feel like we can't afford it. the wonderful thing about Disney is it appeals to so many with the multitude of choices to fit any budget.

We've never stayed (excluding our dvc resort stays on points) but we always check the price. Could we afford to stay deluxe? Yes. Would we stay in the most expensive club level room possible? No. But that's not important to us! When we priced out our upcoming August vacation, we priced WL, Poly and Caribbean Beach. When we made our decision to do CBR it was only because we could get another day there at CBR for roughly the same price. We made that choice because the park time is important to us.

We won't be borrowing any money for any stays. We paid cash for our dvc and we pay our resort reservation in full at booking. But that doesn't mean we don't keep looking for PIN code and deals! If one came out we would likely make the switch to WL or Poly or perhaps extend our stay again. It is all about balance and whats most important to the person booking.

Well I am staying at the Yacht Club at the end of August for like $190.00 a night. But I have also settled a good many of debts I had with my credit card companies and saved a lot of money that way. Many people here hate me for that, but they too are just jealous. :p

We don't go without a discount. We like free dining, but combine that with a hefty room discount and we are there! We got 45% off SSR and a free DDP, and overall saved over $5000 by using this deal.

Deluxe resorts are expensive, but many people put away money for travel. If you can afford it, why not do it? It's not irresponsible.

I do know what you mean though. When I go shopping and see people walking around with loads of bags, I just wonder how they can afford it! We are in recession, lol. We are having to be careful, very careful, about where we spend our money, and we earn a lot over the average salary, so I wonder how people who earn less than us can go out and spend money, and make ends meet. It's confusing. :)

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We're both teachers, and in Catholic schools no less. So we're certainly not on the high end of all wage earners out there. And, no, we don't put our vacations on credit cards.

We're saving now-- $200 a paycheck-- for next year's trip. At that time, if we can get a deal, we're hoping to stay at the Beach Club. If not, perhaps it will be the teacher's discount at the Dolphin. We'll see.

Not everyone who stays Deluxe does it without a thought to the bottom line. We're a family of 5, so our options are pretty limited. And if I'm going to save for over a year for a Disney vacation, my 3 water rats are going to have a fabulous pool-- it matters far more to me than the view or the room size.

It's all about each family's priorities, and about what steps you're willing to take to suit those priorities.

meggiebeth said:
We don't go without a discount. We like free dining, but combine that with a hefty room discount and we are there! We got 45% off SSR and a free DDP, and overall saved over $5000 by using this deal.

Deluxe resorts are expensive, but many people put away money for travel. If you can afford it, why not do it? It's not irresponsible.

I do know what you mean though. When I go shopping and see people walking around with loads of bags, I just wonder how they can afford it! We are in recession, lol. We are having to be careful, very careful, about where we spend our money, and we earn a lot over the average salary, so I wonder how people who earn less than us can go out and spend money, and make ends meet. It's confusing. :)

How did you get a room discount AND free dining??

I think the UK deals are different from those offered to people in the USA or Canada.

OP, based on all of your resort posts, I feel like you are trying to justify the cost of deluxes (or even CL) for yourself. But, you are doing it by making assumptions about people instead of asking questions.

DH and I are extremely financially responsible. Both of us have great salaries. Right on track with our retirement funds, our kids college funds, our regular savings, etc.... We have no credit card debt. We have been able to do this by living well within our means. Our mortgage is the amount some people pay to rent an apartment around here, and I love our house! Our cars are sufficient for our family and though I'd like a Range Rover, I drive a Honda Pilot. :rolleyes: Our priorities when it comes to our "entertainment/travel" always come down to take a nice lengthy trip to Disney once a year.

So, we book well in advance (9-12 months). We do stay deluxe CL, because we really enjoy it and for us, it's worth it. That being said, we have a 40% discount so the rates are not extremely high. We then budget the amount of monthly payments to Disney that it will take to get us paid off a couple of months before our trip (I.e, had our upcoming April trip paid off in January). :dance3:

So yes, we save and no, we don't use credit. We plan. And we live well within our means with a priority placed on family vacation every year. When we are at the store and our kids want an expensive toy, we say "would you rather have that toy or go to Disney?" Enough said, they chose Disney every time. :rotfl2:

Well, I've rambled long enough and if you are really trying to figure out "how people do it" rather than criticizing, than hopefully this helped. :goodvibes

DebbieB said:
They are from UK plus Disney has a hard time filling SSR without incentives.

Yes. We are from the UK and they offer often a discount on SSR and OKW. (Plus free dining.) They also often offer discounts on moderates and other deluxes plus free dining, usually 20% off or less. Better than the US discounts, but we do have to pay for the expensive flights too.

We also have better value tickets, IMO. The US only gives you the option to get up to 10 days. We can get a 21 day ticket, and the 14 day ticket can be bought for the price of a 7 day ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter