• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AT&T budget busting

When talked to AT&T yesterday we realized that our $260 a month includes not only 1 dumb phone, 3 androids and 1 iphone, but also my daughter's DSL, so the cell phone bill was $220.

I think our biggest issue is paying for data. 3 of us are home or work and use wifi 90% of the time. I would be happy with a smart phone that only had wifi.

Oh how I WISH they would release a smart phone plan that was Wi-Fi only, perhaps with a pay per purchase data use if you used it off a WiFi network. I'm like you; 99.9% of the time I'm around WiFi. It's *almost* enough to make me go back to using a dumb phone + iPod touch, but I will admit that I like being able to use the data if needed, all on one device.

We're only dealing with 2 phones as well, so the cost isn't as great.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but the likely hood of AT&T/Verizon ect releasing a contracted Smartphone with NO data requirement is almost none. (However if you have an AT&T Gophone Plan (prepaid) you can operate ANY AT&T smartphone on it without having data).

The reason you see so many unlimited calling/texting plans while data costs are still almost as much if not more is because we are moving to a data centered market. Most people in modern society at least have a basic cell phone for calling. The cellphone companies however still need to find a way to gain new activations and features since they make little to nothing on the actual cellphones. This is in part why we see tablets, wireless homephone, and smartphones being so largely promoted by cellphone companies.

So if your looking to lower your monthly cost, dont need data, 4G speeds, and your out of contract moving to a goPhone plan (on AT&T) paying $25 a month for unlimited text, 250 minutes, and using Data only on wifi may save you some money and you can keep your phone number and existing device.

Oh how I WISH they would release a smart phone plan that was Wi-Fi only, perhaps with a pay per purchase data use if you used it off a WiFi network. I'm like you; 99.9% of the time I'm around WiFi. It's *almost* enough to make me go back to using a dumb phone + iPod touch, but I will admit that I like being able to use the data if needed, all on one device.

You can essentially do this already...just buy the plan with the smallest data allowance.

...basically the same networks you're using, right now.

But, here's the golden nugget -- they now offer a "Family Plan" -- 4 lines of unlimited talk/text/data for $165.

Sounds much less than what OP is paying for practically, the same thing.

Details are right here...

I have a couple of suggestions....you can take or leave them as you wish:thumbsup2 1ST,if they're young adults,why aren't they contributing to your large bill? If it's their data use that's getting you,they should contribute.
2nd, why not get your last phone thru tracfone or similar? It's like 10.00 for a phone,and 12 bucks every few months to maintain minimum minutes ,like 80 per month last I checked (average)
that's your cheapest option.
I also don't agree with contracts and 'family plans' that usually cost WAY more than individual pay as you go plans, with data,etc.
Like I've posted a million times here, I use pageplus b/c for 30.00 per month I get 1200 talk minutes(I usually use them up lol) plus 250mb data which I don't use up. plus 3000 texts per month which I never get close to:cool1:
My ds primarily uses text and data, bought his phone upfront,but for 35.00 per month gets all that he wants too

I might have soulaution that problem:

1. You can go with republic wireless that use the sprint network for 19 for web,text,data on Wifi only

2. You can buy andriod phone put groovelite on and use your google voice number and instant wi-fi only phone with without data charges. That what I do with my Samsung Admire and works like a charm.

if you go with a limited data plan, you can shut off the 'data' on your phone,and turn it on when you want to use it....at least that's what I do to keep data usage down..... I turn it on for navigation,or something,once in a while...

My son has this.

He has Spot Mobile's talk and text plan with pay as you go and an iPhone 4. He doesn't use the phone much so he gets $5-$10 top offs every 3 months or so.

Talk is .10 per min. and texting is .05 per min.

Internet on his iphone is wifi only. He has no data plan.

Many of the Pay as you Go offer very tiny data packages, Straight Talk's All You Need plan is $30/mo and includes a very small amount of data, which would be all I would need but it only has 1,000 min. of talk and I talk WAY more than that. ;)

Dawn

Some good options, should I be worried about coverage if I leave AT&T? Of course we have contracts that we will have to let expire before we can jump ship.

My older kids do help with their bills, I still think its a lot even if they are helping to pay for them.

where you live depends on coverage...in my area no one beats verizon:thumbsup2 which is why I use the pageplus service,it runs on verizon network:cool1:
I gave up tracfone b/c the network they use isn't reliable around here....
keep in mind that buuying a phone upfront will save you money over the next year or two!:thumbsup2
also keep in mind that a 'young adult' who is capable of deciding what type of phone they want,is usually capable of paying upfront for their own phone and service....;)
figure out which coverage is best in your area, and find a carrier that uses that network....

We are paying Verizon $242 per month. We have 700 minutes to share (never go over 200 as Verizon to Verizon is free and so are nights and weekends) and unlimited texting. All 4 are iphones. Three have unlimited data that we will do everything in our power to keep. One has 2 gb that is fine. We have great coverage, use them all the time, and as long as it is not a financial harship we will keep them.

We are frugal in other areas so we can afford this splurge.

I would at least look into Tracfone for the youngest. My girls and I have Tracfones. The coverage can depend on the area. In our zip code, they offer the "G" model phones which run on AT&T I think. Fine for a lot of places, but the nearby town where I work has holes as well as a huge hole over my in-laws neck of the woods. So I changed to a "C" model that runs on Verizon (much better coverage) and bought it on Amazon. Just have to check their maps! With a triple minutes phone, I can get along pretty cheap. I get the year service cards so I don't have to add minutes all the time. If I don't need many minutes, I get the $99 card, so less than $10/month.

I wish you could still "add a line for $10" like the old days! DD14 would like to get on DH's Verizon plan with a cooler phone, but for her level of usage, $40/month is not reasonable. DH has the absolute smallest data you can get as he never uses it. But anymore, you can't add a line with a cool phone for less than $40.

We are ATT customers as well and pay about 217/month. Just be careful when switching plans as in our area the coverage area (signal) is not very good and many calls on other carriers are dropped. We have friends who have this problem constantly with T mobile. Also be careful with ATT sharing as they recommended it to us but it was actually more expensive than what we were already paying. My husband does get a company discount which actually is no big deal because it only covers the main phone line and not the entire plan (we have 5 lines 4 with data and all with unlimited texting). Good luck hope it works out for you.

But, here's the golden nugget -- they now offer a "Family Plan" -- 4 lines of unlimited talk/text/data for $165.

Interesting, I see the family plan for 4 but we have a family of 5. Did you see an option for this?

We also have At&t and we have 3 iPhones with unlimited texting, 700 minutes to share for calls and we share 10G of data. I get a discount of about 23% through my employer and we pay right around $200. It could be worse I guess.

We have AT&T: 2 iPhones (one on the grandfathered unlimited data bc I only have an iPhone 4 & one on the 2gb data plan that he was constantly going over until I set up his phone to catch the wifi at home) and a regular phone with talk and text. We are on a family plan with 700 min, mobile to any mobile free, rollover, and unlimited texting. We pay $175 a month and that's with a corporate discount of 15% on the "main" line.

I've tried to get it down but we really pay the smallest amount possible for what we have. We have the smallest amount of minutes possible while still meeting the critera for mobile to any mobile free. we like our smart phones way too much to change.

coastiewifern said:
Interesting, I see the family plan for 4 but we have a family of 5. Did you see an option for this?

TMobile allows 5, as does Verizon I believe. I am in need of 6 and that is when they all run into 2 contracts & big bucks.

We only get service thru Verizon where we live. Does this company use Verizon networks?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter