Assateague Island Camping

Maligator

Tired of the snow!
I saw Assatague Island mentioned in another thread and looked into it. We had a few days to play with on the trip back from Fort Wilderness this August so I looked online and was able to score what looks to be the last site available on the days we'd be passing through. Unfortunately, I was only able to get a site on the Bay side rather than the Ocean side for two nights.

We've never been there before and wondering if anyone has any input on the difference from bay vs ocean sides and how far from the ocean beach it is for walking. Any and all comments and tips about camping there will be welcome. We are in the National park side, not the state park in a non-electric site. Since you can't run generator at night I am hoping the sea breeze and the Maxxair fan will keep us cool enough at night. We are staying the second week of August.

Best advice I can offer bring a decent screen house. We like another CG nearby and will be at them Aug 12 x 15 and last weekend showed us how important that screen house is. Citronella and Thermacells worked great on Skeeters but flies laughed at them and once food was present they came in waves. Fans helped some also bring plenty of bug spray.
Side note right we got home talked with a dear friend who related story of taking her nephews there (Assateague) for a backpacking trip The boys laughed at her for her beach Umbrella and Mosquito netting till around sundown then begged to be let in.

Best advice I can offer bring a decent screen house. We like another CG nearby and will be at them Aug 12 x 15 and last weekend showed us how important that screen house is. Citronella and Thermacells worked great on Skeeters but flies laughed at them and once food was present they came in waves. Fans helped some also bring plenty of bug spray.
Side note right we got home talked with a dear friend who related story of taking her nephews there (Assateague) for a backpacking trip The boys laughed at her for her beach Umbrella and Mosquito netting till around sundown then begged to be let in.

Thanks, Mike! Yeah bugs are definitely a major concern! Gonna have to plan well for this I think!

Is there a better time to camp there when the flies and skeeters won't be as big of a problem? We tend to avoid camping in the summer due to the bugs, as well as the heat.

we have been to other CG in the area not AI specific
In Mid April Skeeters not a problem flies nominal
Mid June skeeters nominal Flies moderate ( Use of a small fan worked best)
August Skeeters heavy ( Spraying daily by CG helped as did heavy use of Deep woods Off ) Flies surrounded once food present
September Early Skeeters and flies heavy Late both easily managed
Hope this helps. with the flies we have found our screen house and fans work best

following...b/c I want to know how awesome it is when you go. We are thinking of doing a mini trip there soon. I have also read that the mosquitoes are really bad, which is why we considered going in the fall when they tend to die off a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter