Asked to Prove you are ASD or turned away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a complaint or concern, I think it is important for people to let Disney know what your complaint is directly.
There are also sometimes changes made with unintended consequences and WDW won’t know the changes caused problems unless people let them know.

Here is a link to the email page for WDW:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/contact/

For those who want to send a letter or phone call:
Disney Complaints and Comments:
Walt Disney World Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10,040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Disney Guest Relations - 407-824-4321

Put something in the Subject line about disabilities so it gets routed to the correct people to answer your question.
Be as specific as you can regarding:
when it happened? (date and time -or at least general time of day)
where it happened? (at what park and what location at that park. If an attraction, what part of the attraction).
who was there?
what happened?
what the problem was?
what you need?
what was changed, if anything compared to previous times?
what is helpful?
what is not helpful?

I'm a regular visitor to this board, though I never post. I'm also a CM and the mother of a daughter "on the spectrum." So, this particular topic is very personal to me, but I also have to make sure my comments are viewed as "my thoughts only" and nothing really official.

GAC Abuse is rampant these days. Sue's post with those few examples are just a sprinkling of what we see day in and day out. The CMs I work with all agree that when presented with GACs, they feel they are going to be in for a battle. And, we all say that the people who LEGITIMATELY need them will be the people who WON'T argue with you when you can't deliver immediate access or give them a slip to come back in a bit.

Case and point: I was working an attraction when a woman and her child came up with an AE GAC. The AE was currently unavailable due to another guest having a seizure back there and this attraction does not have FP. I did not tell the woman this as it was not part of her business nor ethical for me to divulge the issue of another guest. I told her she could use stand by (20 min wait) or come back in 15 minutes and I would see if the AE was available. She went off on me telling me how her son was autistic and that I was a heartless and soulless person for not allowing them back there RIGHT NOW. All this as she waved the GAC in my face and told me she'd "have my job." Karma got her--a CM at another attraction closely inspected the GAC when she demanded FOTL instead of FP entrance and realized it was fake.

Conversely, after she was done cussing me out, another GAC holder approached. I told her the same thing. She thanked me and said they would be back.

Let me tell you about some other problems that have arisen that are causing more scrutiny of the GAC:

1. The Tour Guide.
There has been at least one case of a person advertising his/her "services" on Craig's List as a "tour guide" for WDW. This person was promising "15 minute or less wait for any group, five people and under." See, the person was an AP holder and had a GAC. The AP Holder was charging people $200 a day ($40 each) to "tour" them through WDW.

2. The Fake GAC.
Since some people have been scanning/photographing these things, and posting them to websites/trip reports/etc, others have been trying to "make" them with photoshop. One thing they forget is how the GAC "feels." Anyone who has had one knows the material is not cheap computer paper. We catch these by asking to "see" the GAC. When I have a guest that doesn't want to hand it over, I become incredibly skeptical.

3. Throw Grannie from the Ride.
Grannie will have a GAC. She and her whole party will be sent through AE for an attraction Grannie would NEVER want to be on. Grannie will be left at the "chicken" exit while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. I have personally had to watch an elderly man who was so confused and scared because he was abandoned by his party! This is why you may be asked, "Are you going to ride this?" when presenting the GAC.

4. Swapperoo.
Family will have more than one child. The child who has the GAC is not tall enough/doesn't want to ride a certain attraction. The parent will give the card to the child/children that do want to ride. This is one reason the GAC holder may be asked their name. The GAC is intended ONLY for the person it is issued to, not the party.

There are other issues, too. I know WDW wants to be fair and I know that the GAC can be a live saver. I like the thought posted in the FAQ that it is "insurance." I wish more people would view it that way instead of the "Golden Ticket" some unscrupulous blogs on the internet bill it as. I also think responsibility falls on the parent to use it with proper manners and not "flaunt" it or make an issue of it. Meaning, when the stand by for Soarin' is 120min, and you're sent through FP, don't yell at the CM when FP is a 15-20 minute wait. The ride has a very slow load--that can't be helped.

I used Soarin' as an example because my child LOVES it. She would ride it all day if she could. But, I give her a two-ride in a row maximum. Other things I do with her to help her trips to the park:

1. I use the Disney Touring Plan App. Sometimes this works better than a FP because it lets her "plan." She's 9 now and she loves to look and see what the waits are and devise a little "plan" of her own.

2. I never take her during Turismo season because of the noise and the fact that most of those kids don't understand personal space. Both of these are big triggers for my DD.

3. I take her BEFORE Christmas week, but not during. Again, too much stimulation.

4. I use the GAC when we need it. I've been teaching her to how show it and say "thank you."

And now back to my regularly scheduled lurking...
:laundy:

Just MHO..........but it seems here the problem is not Disney trying to deny anyone that rightfully needs a GAC (the way may be in question).

The prolbem is people that don't need a GAC and causing the problems for everyone.

If this problem continues the law is going to be changed making it harder for the folks that really need a GAC.

We need to address the cheaters to solve the problem

AKK

Just MHO..........but it seems here the problem is not Disney trying to deny anyone that rightfully needs a GAC (the way may be in question).

The prolbem is people that don't need a GAC and causing the problems for everyone.

If this problem continues the law is going to be changed making it harder for the folks that really need a GAC.

We need to address the cheaters to solve the problem

AKK

But, once again, who determines who is cheating and who isn't? Other people's perceptions are hardly the most valid indicator of who does and does not need accommodations, in my experience. You would call people out on being cheaters, but what if they aren't? What if their problems are invisible? What if they don't have a diagnosis? You cannot possibly know if the people who you consider cheaters are actually doing so.

Perhaps I'm over sensitive about this, but I have disabilities that make me the kind of person that gets called out for "faking" on a regular basis, because people think they know everything about disabilities (even people with disabilities do this). I don't often have meltdowns for over stimulation, and for the most part there is nothing visible about me that says I have an autism spectrum disorder, but say that I did get a GAC for an alternate entrance that might be a little quieter. People would consider me a "faker" because they would have seen me in other lines, or because I don't look disabled, or for a hundred other reasons. You might even hear me make a comment to my fiancee about it "working", because that's my sense of humour and I refuse to stop making jokes that strangers shouldn't be listening to anyways. I'm not saying that people don't cheat, because it's clear that they do, but I am saying that calling people out because you perceive them to be cheating is really problematic.

GAC's are supposed to be based on needs and not diagnosis. My DD has a mood disorder and sensory issues but isn't on the spectrum. I've never used a GAC for her but it's always been comforting to know that they are there if I decide we need one. Your experience is bothersome to me because I'd hate to decide that we need a GAC and have a CM refuse because she thinks we're making up our needs or because it doesn't fit a pre-conceived notion of what diagnoses should receive a GAC.

I have a feeling that we have no idea just how much abuse there is. Guest Services monitors how many GAC's are given out, what accommodations were given, etc. This became a HUGE problem at Disneyland. I remember when Matt Ouimet was the president there- he spent several days sitting behind the counter at GS and monitoring the GAC's being issued. In the end, he said that "this has GOT to change" and it did. There are many people who would lie if they thought it meant their family would get special treatment. I know someone local here in Florida who says her dd is autistic when she is not, and brags about "flashing her card" to get special accommodations. For those of us who NEED those accommodations its very sad to see them abused. While it's true that they can't ask for proof of disability, something has to give when a high percentage per day of park guests are using GAC's. I think there are a certain amount of GAC's issued that would be deemed within normal range and that lately, that normal range has been greatly exceeded.

But, once again, who determines who is cheating and who isn't? Other people's perceptions are hardly the most valid indicator of who does and does not need accommodations, in my experience. You would call people out on being cheaters, but what if they aren't? What if their problems are invisible? What if they don't have a diagnosis? You cannot possibly know if the people who you consider cheaters are actually doing so.

While this in itself is a proper sentiment, it can not be used as an excuse to let abuse be. As long as I can see (and hear them discuss it afterwards) CM's not refusing a guest that at least does not follow the rules on a GAC out of pure fear of what happens if they speak up? Yeah, there ARE ways of knowing there is abuse.

Tonka; I would even go further than what you said. Not only should we as a society look to others and hold them accountable, we should also as individuals look at ourselves and keep ourselves accountable. Let's take for instance those of us that need a GAC at certain moments and/or rides. There will be many situations where a GAC is a must at one ride but a non issue at another ride. Or like ITS has pointed out; not use a GAC to keep riding over and over again. These are things that also add up and can easily negatively influence the experience of others that do need the GAC for that specific ride and/or haven't gotten the chance to ride once. I'm putting it mildly if I say I've had all kinds of disturbing things wished my way whenever even touching the subject. :rolleyes: Peachy and all, but how would one see things when they are on the other end of the "recieving" part and find they're not able to ride or help is not available because demands are too rampant when that demand isn't made up of just guests actually needing it at said moment/ride or those that are riding the 6th time that day while you are aiming your first ever? A bit of common logic, sense and curtousy goes a long way.

This issue is very close to my heart. DD is autistic and would definitely need a GAC for some rides. We have proof so that's no problem but my concern is that just because autism is becoming more and more common it is almost being treated as less of a disability, which is just deplorable. We were thinking that Disney might be one place we can all enjoy as a family. If we can bring ourselves to take her on a plane again but now I feel that we would be viewed as misusing the much needed system just because her disability is less physically obvious ( unless she is mid meltdown). This would undoubtedly change our experience and for the hassle of the flight and all the rest of it, it hardly seems worth it if we were either unable to enjoy it because she gets denied GAC or because we are made to feel unreasonable because we are using something that makes the ride possible for us. No thanks I think we will just stay home.

While this in itself is a proper sentiment, it can not be used as an excuse to let abuse be. As long as I can see (and hear them discuss it afterwards) CM's not refusing a guest that at least does not follow the rules on a GAC out of pure fear of what happens if they speak up? Yeah, there ARE ways of knowing there is abuse.

Tonka; I would even go further than what you said. Not only should we as a society look to others and hold them accountable, we should also as individuals look at ourselves and keep ourselves accountable. Let's take for instance those of us that need a GAC at certain moments and/or rides. There will be many situations where a GAC is a must at one ride but a non issue at another ride. Or like ITS has pointed out; not use a GAC to keep riding over and over again. These are things that also add up and can easily negatively influence the experience of others that do need the GAC for that specific ride and/or haven't gotten the chance to ride once. I'm putting it mildly if I say I've had all kinds of disturbing things wished my way whenever even touching the subject. :rolleyes: Peachy and all, but how would one see things when they are on the other end of the "recieving" part and find they're not able to ride or help is not available because demands are too rampant when that demand isn't made up of just guests actually needing it at said moment/ride or those that are riding the 6th time that day while you are aiming your first ever? A bit of common logic, sense and curtousy goes a long way.

It's completely valid to hold yourself accountable, but it is completely invalid to assume that someone is cheating and call them out on it. Maybe you wouldn't mind having it happen once, but if it happened constantly, day in and day out, would you not get frustrated?

Sue, first thank you for taking the time to explain this so thoroughly. Second, thank you as well for the address. I honestly think more information needs to be out there to let Guests who would try something like this know this really isn't a time saver, it's an accommodation for people with needs and can actually extend your wait time in certain circumstances. For example our experience at Haunted Mansion was twice as long as if we simply went in the stand by line.

We never just present ourselves to the Fast Pass entrance, but we go to the CM standing outside the Standby line and ask where we should go and wait to hear instructions. But, if we were directed with a hand written fast pass for say 20 mins later, etc. we would wait elsewhere. I think the perception is out there that this is a "Golden" FOTL pass, which they could change quickly with this XFP system they are testing this week. Imagine if you could line up attractions (my youngest would be in Heaven knowing exactly what came next) and simply present the GAC have it scanned and they tell you either come back at such and such time or to proceed into the attraction like a reservation system? I can see this technology working very well for folks on the Spectrum and their families.

It's completely valid to hold yourself accountable, but it is completely invalid to assume that someone is cheating and call them out on it. Maybe you wouldn't mind having it happen once, but if it happened constantly, day in and day out, would you not get frustrated?

It happens all to often with discussions like this; but where exactly did I say that the guest should speak up? Unless my brain is failing me again, haven't said it anywhere. That is up to WDW at both the GS offices and at the rides at the many checkpoints one goes through. And yes; it is time to speak up and act more. While I can totally get the position of a CM in such a job with nowadays people behaving like animals and CM's getting their portion of daily verbal and emotional abuse, if not physical at some moments, this can not continue. Not for those when needing it, not for the CM's in those positions, for nobody.

And honestly? I got so annoyed with CM's constantly NOT checking my GAC when they should be, that I actually filed a complaint about it at both GS and through snail-mail. (and thanked and praised the 2 CM's that DID) So yeah; check me. Nothing wrong with checking. It will make sure those needing it can keep getting it and it's the only way to weed out as much abuse as possible.

What I do think should happen a lot more; is folks speaking up. It is easy to go onto the internet, but very little times time is taken out to go to GS or write in about things. For me that goes beyond "I was treated right in this way/I was treated wrong in that way". For me that includes informing about things you see as a guest that don't seem right. As long as one does not use specific words and grammar it does not have to be judging a book on it's cover. It can be kept down to something as simple as communicating what you noticed, that it is not up to you to judge but that it might be some workable info. The more signals a company like for instance WDW gets, the better their picture can be. The clearer it can be there might be forms of problems they aren't aware of yet, whether it being abuse or for instance WDW not communicating enough to guests about certain subjects.

Keeping mouths closed, looking away, it only goes so far in a uplifting way. Going to far can become very negative. There is nothing wrong with speaking up in and of itself. The message sometimes isn't the place, time or even valid but that does not mean that speaking up in and of itself will always be negative, judgemental or any of the alike.

cmwade77 said:
  • san diego safari park
    • they provide a companion with a free ticket.this just seems rife for abuse. Seaworld does it too - or at least offers discounted companion rates. Call me a cynic, but...
  • universal studios
    • they provide shuttles to their lower lot for the disabled. just so there's no confusion - these aren't regularly-operating shuttles. They need to be requested; the visitor needs to take an elevator down to the pickup point; and you need to schedule a return time with your driver (not the easiest or most enjoyable touring if you've never been before, or if it's been many years between visits)
    • they provide accomodations at all rides, shows, shops and restaurants for all forms of diabilities. there are so few actual rides at ush with individual seating that might require special accommodations - especially in comparison to disneyland resort. There may be none, or a couple. Nothing where a ride that normally operates continuously needs to actually stop so someone can get on or off. Disney has a number of these rides.
    • i think their system is probably the most fair, in general, if the line is under 20 minutes, they simply allow you to use the gate a (aka fotl) access; while the part of this i didn't copy seems fair - akin to disney's standard fastpass - this seems unfair to the people waiting in the regular, less than 20 minute line - in that the visitors needing assistance can get up to a fifteen minute advantage.
  • the disneyland resort has several issues with accessibility still:
    • the wait times for those that need assistance (especially that cannot do stairs or need a wheelchair vehicle) often wait longer than everyone else. Darned if they do, darned if they don't. If Disney adds more accessible cars, people will complain because it's taking longer to board - especially the continuous movers. I've been seated at various points in different theaters. Given that I'm using an ECV, its only reasonable that I be considerate of persons seated behind me whose view I'm now blocking - right? And Disneyland has the rocket they can pull off-line - so the guest who can't transfer quickly still gets to ride!
    • the accesible parking spaces are not within the appropriate distance to the entrance of the parks. Without a complete redesign of the plaza, this is unlikely to change. But Disney provides transportation to as close to the parks as possible. <snip> nor are there enough spaces that do not require the use of the elevator at the parking structure. Some will say that the use of the elevator is accomodation enough; however, since the escalators are often broken to one or more levels, this puts an extra strain on the elevators and prevents the disabled from using them, which then violates sections of the ada. this is a manitenance issue with the escalators and an issue with not enough elevators, let alone fast enough elevators. It's possibly also a vandalism issue or overuse issue. Quick idea - the best way to provide elevator service (at least to the parks) for guests on wheels would be to put all the HP parking on the top level of the garage - so these guests would be the first ones on the elevators. But people will be yelling "discrimination!" Ditto if all the spaces were on level one.
    • there is no accessible parking for the grand california hotel that i have been able to find and since valet parking costs extra, that is not an alternative [and]
    • the parking structure at the paradise pier hotel does not have an elevator and there are not enough accessible spaces in their lot. In both cases, I would suggest - ASK. I consider it inconceivable that a hotel built in California in this century doesn't provide handicap parking.
  • please note that i use southern california as my example, as i do not know how florida's other parks compare to disney.
m

I am shocked and saddened to read of all the examples of GAC abuse. I actually wish they could ask for proof of disability, like a doctor's note. My sons both have ASD, OCD and high anxiety. Neither of them look at all disabled or "autistic" to the casual observer, and both work very hard to act "normal" when in public. One stims by chewing, but we've been able to channel that into socially acceptable things like gum & straws. The other chews and also paces, so at a place like WDW when you are on your feet most of the day, the pacing can go largely unnoticed. The only thing you might notice is that they both look very serious most of the time, are talking and interacting with their families less than most other kids, and in a prolonged conversation you would likely notice issues with eye contact, reciprocity etc., if you knew what you were looking for, or maybe you would just think they were surly, shy or being evasive. So how is a CM supposed to just look at my sons and judge their needs?

When we got them a GAC on our last trip, I felt like I had to "sell" the CM on their needs. The whole thing felt really uncomfortable, and I was very self conscious worrying if the CM thought I was scamming her. Awful. :sick: I really hate that the liars out there are making things difficult for the people who need help.

We did end up receiving a GAC, but because of how we toured (cooler, quieter time of year, least busy park of the day, rope drop each morning, lots of breaks, avoiding parades and other high density crowd areas and times), we used it very seldom. It was, as the PP said, an insurance policy. I felt better having it in case things started to rapidly go downhill (at which point no one would be questioning their needs or diagnoses, but so much better to avoid getting to that point if at all possible!), and the few times we did use it we needed it, but it felt good to use it as little as possible.

I am just gobsmacked that people would choose to pretend their healthy child was non verbal autistic, or to use and abandon an elderly family member. :sad1: And I really feel for the CM's who are put in the position of having to make what must often be very difficult judgement calls.

when people have friends who actually report cheating the system or report on trying to get something they really don't need ("because sweet suzy endures enough and she should get a perk now and then") then you KNOW abuse happens. I'm sorry utterrandomness if you don't agree, but abuse happens.

I could send you to thread after thread on diabetes message boards where people INSIST that kids with diabetes get GAC for no other reason than their parents think their life is JUST SO HARD that they need it for no other reason than that. I could point you to some very vocal diabetes advocates who insist that they get FP access on their GAC every single time, for no other reason than diabetes. Yet in other posts and blogs they exclaim now diabetes doesn't get the better of them, how their fully capable teens live life to the fullest, how they travel all over the world, yet somehow they are entitled to a FP GAC. Heck, one time someone posted that they were trying to get handicap parking for their child with diabetes and they wanted to know if that could be used in Disney. ***? THAT is abuse of the system.

And that is just one disease among hundreds. You'll find the same sort of entitlement mentality on other message boards for other diseases.

Abuse happens. People with legitimate needs are accused of faking - just look at the brooha over people with vision needs being allowed to sit in the roped off sections at parade. So yes, I get your point that you never know who has what need yet that by itself leaves the system open for abuse.

But abuse happens. There is no use saying it doesn't. But like a PP said, it's up to all of us to discourage abuse when we hear about it, speak openly about our needs and to try to work to change the system in a way that we (and our children) are able to have their needs met.

I am shocked and saddened to read of all the examples of GAC abuse. I actually wish they could ask for proof of disability, like a doctor's note.

Downside of this also is; a diagnosis says little if anything about actual needs. And even when it comes to needs, we see enough topics on here already about docs that are....... thinking they know it all and/or have all the power (including my GP :sad2: ) and hand out notes for "fotl access". For the most weird reasons where many times even the individual themselves say they're not looking for it as there is no need. So even without looking to abuse, it is offered already in notes. :rolleyes:

My sons both have ASD, OCD and high anxiety. Neither of them look at all disabled or "autistic" to the casual observer, and both work very hard to act "normal" when in public. One stims by chewing, but we've been able to channel that into socially acceptable things like gum & straws. The other chews and also paces, so at a place like WDW when you are on your feet most of the day, the pacing can go largely unnoticed. The only thing you might notice is that they both look very serious most of the time, are talking and interacting with their families less than most other kids, and in a prolonged conversation you would likely notice issues with eye contact, reciprocity etc., if you knew what you were looking for, or maybe you would just think they were surly, shy or being evasive. So how is a CM supposed to just look at my sons and judge their needs?

When we got them a GAC on our last trip, I felt like I had to "sell" the CM on their needs. The whole thing felt really uncomfortable, and I was very self conscious worrying if the CM thought I was scamming her. Awful. :sick: I really hate that the liars out there are making things difficult for the people who need help.

Don't hit me over the head until you hear me out. Not playing the "it's all in your head" game, but would you think that your own sentiment might be of influence? It can easily influence communication on both how you communicate to the CM and how you interprete the CM's words. When worrying about something, it's easier to hear something that can come across a negative way more easily. A human thing, but can be a real pain in the you-know-what.

Next time perhaps it helps to look at it in another way? They are not trying to deny you anything. They are looking to find out as much as possible about each boys needs. On the one hand this can result in helping them in the best way possible on the other hand it reduces abuse where possible. Which of itself is another great help to both your boys. No need to fear when needs are there. Even more so since you have done the parks before. Explain their needs, use an example of how in the past something turned into a problem and how the GAC made a difference on situation such-and-so on another trip. Ask questions you have got, as even after many trips sometimes they are there. Actually your genuinity is gold. Abuse and fake is mostly about learning something and repeat it. There lies the difference for you also. Heck, go crazy, why NOT mention your worry? DO! By all means. It just shows what is in your mind and emotion anyway. Paints a picture of how the guests and families are and what is important for them. And not in the least bit; only when the CM knows about your worry can they address them.

Let's go out on a huge limb here and say you find things are changed. Different stamps. Oops; stress!!!!!!!! When communicatin your worry, this gives the CM room to go into it. Explain why different stamps. Turns out in this example they have gotten different stamps, word it differently, are strickter but for your boys it doesn't change things that the bottomline experience is negatively impacted. Or you still have some questions; they can go into it some more.

After having spent quite some time in GS and talking to quite a few CM's about this, I have found many of them have a great sense of knowledge what to look for. Esp. when it comes to something as common (to them) like ASD, anxiety etc. But also when it comes to signs of abuse. My syndrome is very rare, it's hard to find a doc who knows anything about it. Let alone explain it to any CM. And you know what? They know what to look for because their training is proper enough for that.

I can understand the sentiment but the biggest help for yourself I think would be in drawing strength from the fact that you know the needs, know they are there and that asking questions is not done to deny them but to optimize something that hopefully benefits the boys for centuries to come. :hug:

most of the difficulties I have seen/heard about have had to do with people self declaring a condition, not their disability or difficulty with how the disability affects access.
If the accommodation asked for is superior access, not equivalent, guests can be asked for proof.
Yes it is not that you have a disability, but the impact it has on your ability for equal access that is the "gate keeping" trigger for accommodations.

If a guest ask for superior access then yes they can be asked and in whole the accommodation is not typically covered under ADA except in a few specific situations. If the business chooses to supply superior access for the business's convenience, then no they cannot ask since the person had only requested equal accommodations.

A good example of this is the way universal handles their disability pass. Even though it is preferential, since they decided to use a preexisting convenient structure, and offer no other they are still not allowed to ask for "proof"

There will always be cheats as long as the system is in any way perceived as preferential at any time, but it has also been ruled that this does not give any right to require proof no matter how rampant it is. I keep hoping they will go to "slow pass" system that just gives you a pass to reenter the line near the entrance or enter through the FP entrance at the time shown on the current regular line wait time. There is still some potential for abuse, but much less than what is perceived now. With the changes during the past year, I can nto think of any line that has not been changed significantly since 1993, so all lines should now offer some type of alternate waiting and entry accommodation.

bookwormde

It's better to have a dozen people get GAC's when they don;t need them, than to have one person not get one when he really does. There's no such thing as an abuse-proof system. All a crackdown does is make a few self-righteous people feel better.

Last year when we traveled to WDW the CM at guest services simply did not understand what I was asking for when I went to City Hall and requested a GAC for my husband. He cannot climb stairs due to a knee condition. Pretty straightforward. She proceeded to explain that there was only one attraction at Magic Kingdom that had stairs (Swiss Family Robinson) which is not true. That is the only attraction that has UNAVOIDABLE stairs. There are plenty of attractions that have flights of stairs in the regular and/or Fastpass queues. It took a manager for her to really understand what I was asking for. Even then it seemed they only gave it to us since we stated we had been given one previously.

What really bugs me is how VAGUE the passes are.

The first time we used GAC was at Disneyland and the stamp was VERY simple, a set of stairs with a circle and cross around it. Plainly explains NO STAIRS. Sometimes we would be sent through the FP queue, other times there was a separate W/C entrance. I was shocked that at WDW that was interpreted as Alternate Entrance which does not always meet the need. There's simply no reason for that. I think if they made the GAC more specific they would reduce the abuse. The no stairs designation is simply one idea, as I''m sure there are plenty others.

We are traveling back to WDW in 4 weeks and I certainly hope that they don't deny us because of my husband's very invisible disorder. I will make sure to bring the previous GAC just in case.

Perhaps I'm over sensitive about this, but I have disabilities that make me the kind of person that gets called out for "faking" on a regular basis, because people think they know everything about disabilities (even people with disabilities do this). I don't often have meltdowns for over stimulation, and for the most part there is nothing visible about me that says I have an autism spectrum disorder, but say that I did get a GAC for an alternate entrance that might be a little quieter. People would consider me a "faker" because they would have seen me in other lines, or because I don't look disabled, or for a hundred other reasons. You might even hear me make a comment to my fiancee about it "working", because that's my sense of humour and I refuse to stop making jokes that strangers shouldn't be listening to anyways. I'm not saying that people don't cheat, because it's clear that they do, but I am saying that calling people out because you perceive them to be cheating is really problematic.

That is my point.we need to find a way to stop the cheaters..........My question was how to address will this be done?

Having people carry some type of proof from a goverment office?.doctor?.etc?. Is that what is needed?

To me and my family issues ........that is not a problem......we have no problem with it.

Should this be the way the law should be changed???

I am asking here.........if the problem gets to out of hand things could be changed for the worse!

AKK

You can't. And being so focused on it isn't productive.

And they can't possibly be as large a percentage of the GAC population as they're being made out to be.

I beg to differ.......it can be handled and changed......Do you have a link to show that is not such a large part of the GAC population?...just say it is or is not doesnt prove anything.

I see folk here that are very senitive to other folks doing the nasty looks and comment thing. This is mostly due to the cheaters..........stop the cheating and it will reduce the nasty looks and comments. Thus making the senitive folks feel better!

Why not......

The system now says....you go to get a GAC and you do not need to say what your health or mobility issues are.....great........You only have to say you need the following accomodations......A.B.C.....

Why not have a card from a proper authority........goverment..doctor etc.

The card say something like:

This person has a health or modility issue that reqiures the following accommadation..A......B..........C......

This seems a simple solution

any other ideas?

AKK

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter