As we approach 9/11....I remember:

I was in my senior year of college, sitting in a public relations class when the first tower was hit. After class, I went and grabbed breakfast at the student union building where I saw a bunch of people standing around the TVs watching what was unfolding. Until I walked back to my dorm, the second plane had hit. I remember calling my mom at work crying when the buildings feel because all I could think about was the children who lost their parents. That thought still bothers me to this day. I'll never forget my sister calling asking me what the heck was going on. She was crying and I was crying. I remember going to another class where my professor was in tears because she knew that she had lost friends in NYC. I remember the memorial service that night...

It was such a beautiful day. I still can't believe something like that happened here.

My dd#1 was still a baby when it happened. We lived in a VERY small apt. I was just getting up making breakfast (I am not a morning person) and didn't even turn on the TV yet when my grandmother called me and told me we were being invaded by the russians or something. I was like what in the hell are you talking about. Then she's telling me there are planes out there with bombs on them all I could think of was the movie Red Dawn. I finally turned on the TV and saw what was really happening.

I was feeding my first born and watched the horror live......i am completely pissed that Osama Bin Laden walks the earth, but no one seems to care as many have died in Iraq not finding and killing this creature!:confused3

We're on the West Coast and I've never been to NY.

I had just stepped out of the shower and DH says, they've attacked the World Trade Center. Deer in headlights moment, what the heck is he talking about? The ones in Long Beach...oh, NYC! What? Why is the TV on and why is that building coming down twice. Oh, not twice, two buildings...it was very confusing.

The phone rang and it was my best GF in Arkansas. She was crying because her news told her there was a plane headed to her town. She had her two babies on her person in a death grip. We said we loved each other and cried together. Turns out they were wrong.

I wonder how many times that happened across America that morning.

After catching up to the rest of the Americans with CNN and ABC and every channel we had, we decided to go to work. I remember how gorgeous the sky looked. I remember driving down the empty 405 and making eye contact with the other few drivers. No one sped. It was like we were saying, "I'm American, you're American, we're in this together." Strange.

The rest of the day at work was spent watching TV and trying to contact our NY office, which was so very, very close to the towers. No one we know was hurt or killed.

When planes started flying again, the first time I saw one I stopped and stared as did everyone else around me.

I am still so sorry for those in NY/NJ who lost family and friends. There is no way to know your grief but we will never forget. :grouphug:

I try not to remember- I lost the love of my life - it still hurts

The kindergarten bus had picked up my son and I took my 4 year old daughter to get an oil change.

We drove about 5 minutes to the car dealer, and I heard a little blurb on the car radio about "airline problems and possible accident in NYC". I pulled into the service bay thinking it was a pilot accident-- lost horizon, heart attack, malfunction, etc..

So I sat in the lobby of the car place and I think Good Morning America was on. Then I saw and heard about the second plane. I was busy distracting my daughter by giving her toys and reading books to her, while out of the corner of my eye watching.

I remember seeing the entire staff of the car place file past the lobby. It was the service techs, staff, receptionist were all sort of standing in the half wall watching the TV while I was trying to distract my daughter.

Then I heard about the Pentagon. And I got scared. Then the flight in PA.

I then thought of my DH. At the time he was working in the tallest building in Philadelphia. My thoughts went to --will they go to Philly next? I tried calling him and got a message.
His building was on alert but couldn't do anything just yet.

I mindlessley went to the grocery store. My daughter (still clueless) was wondering around the aisles singing "You are my Sunshine" in a sweet singsongy voice. It was awfully quiet in the store-- and people were panicking buying water, canned goods, etc.

People in the store had sad heavy eyes and it was unnaturally quiet. No musak, no store announcements or chattering of employees. Quiet-- except for my daughter singing away. Many people looked at me than at her giving me the "she has no idea" look.

My son's K class came home as scheduled and we sort of just went on the day.

DH finally got home but it was a HUGE mess. He left early (took a dock in pay) because his shift wasn't over and his company never closed officially. The trains in and out were closed, subways were closed and the busses were the only thing running. He normally took the SEPTA train so he had to take a convuluted way home which took over 2 hours.

I think he wound up taking a bus and a shuttle (instead of a train) to another thing. I wound up picking him up at an unfamiliar train station very glad to see him.

Now the anthrax thing at the post offices-- that scared me more. My dad was working at the one post office center where 2 people died. That was more scary to me -- that was personal.

I was in school in Pittsburgh at the time. I was headed into the last part of my quarter, getting ready for my first trip to New England to meet the dbf's family, and go to Salem, Mass. School was going great, new dbf, and a new adventure right around the corner.

I was finishing up a project when I heard a kid say "A plane went down." I thought it was just an accident. I went to the restroom, and when I was walking back to class, my cell phone went off. The dbf filled me in. He said the WTC towers were down. I thought that he meant they were demolished (controlled). "They just built those pretty recently, why would they do that?" Then he told me exactly what happened. Can't be true. No way it could happen. Hence the previous thoughts and no connecting the dots.

The president of our school came over the intercom. He stated that the city of Pittsburgh was being voluntarily evacuated. The school was being shut down. So, I was one of many in a mass exodus trying to get out of there. I meet up with my dbf on the Seventh street bridge and went back to my place. I spent the afternoon sitting there, numb, watching it over and over.

The dbf and I finally left the apartment. I remember roaming the streets of Downtown Pittsburgh with it like a ghost town. No sounds of people going about their lives, no planes overhead, nothing. Eerie. There was a bright, crystal clear sky, and all we could see was the rare military plane go by.

I remember my wife and I fighting over me driving to work rather than taking the train. I would have been waiting for the PATH train in the basement of the towers when the first plane hit.

I remember thinking my brother was dead (he worked on the 30th floor in Tower 2). Turns out he had a fight with his wife as well. She had made a doctors appointment and forgot to tell him he had to watch the kids that morning. He did not go to work that day.

I remember losing some good friends.

I remember seeing the second plane coming around the Statue of Liberty from the New Jersey side and someone say "Oh they must be going in for a closer look". I then remember hearing the engines of that plane roar like I had never heard before........it then smashed directly into the tower.

I remember watching people jump and seeing them fall (still have some nightmares to this day)

I remember crying and running as fast as I could.

I remember my friend frantically trying to find his wife.......he never did.

This just depressed me.

:hug: I pray that time eases the pain of your memories.

Wow. How can I ever forget that day? Our family was invited to Washington, D.C., to be part of a huge adoption celebration on Capitol Hill on Sept. 10. The day was hot but beautiful as I looked at my three beautiful adopted daughters sitting on the steps of the Capitol while so many people spoke of the need for more foster and adoptive parents. I knew we were leaving that night for home, so I just tried to soak in the many sights and sounds of this day.

We arrived at Ronald Reagan Airport and checked right through. I was so surprised it was so quick. I made the comment to my husband that we should have stayed longer in the city. We boarded our American Airlines flight on time but sat on the tarmac for four hours while we waited out a storm in Hartford, Conn.

Our flight was to Logan (in Boston) with a connection to Portland Maine, so we knew we had missed our Portland flight when we arrived in Boston five hours later. We thought about renting a car and just driving home, but the counter person for the airline said that we should just stay the night. They would put our family up in a hotel and we could leave at 8:10 a.m. on Sept. 11.

At 7:30 a.m. on Sept. 11, we were sitting in Logan at the American Airlines terminal with (passengers on) Flight 11. Of course, I didn't know until the whole country knew who (the hijackers) were or what an impact those people would have on my life or the life of this country.

(Later) I was grateful I was alive, but so sad for the 88 people I sat with for 30 minutes before they boarded that ill-fated flight.

Arriving home, my husband told me I should call my sister and let them know we were OK. As I tried to tell my SIL we were OK, she told me my 7-year-old niece had died that morning at home in her Daddys arms and we needed to go to my sister's home right away.

Shock like that day should never happen to anyone. Even though I did not know anyone on those planes or in the twin towers, I did have a very special little niece to grieve for that day and forevermore.

Later that night my 14 yr old DD told me point blank she knew who the person was who crashed the plan and needed to tell someone. We called the FBI and told them what our DD told us.

A few days later my DH called me and said "What ever you do dont let DD see the TV or a newspaper untill I get home" When DH got home he showed me a picture of the man who flew that plan into the towers. My DD described him to a T!

I was pregnant....I had my 1st sonogram scheduled that day.....

I was sooooo excited till I put on Regis and Kelly and saw the unthinkable....I thought there would be no world for my baby to be born in....Very depressed for a while after that.
Kerri

Wow. How can I ever forget that day? Our family was invited to Washington, D.C., to be part of a huge adoption celebration on Capitol Hill on Sept. 10. The day was hot but beautiful as I looked at my three beautiful adopted daughters sitting on the steps of the Capitol while so many people spoke of the need for more foster and adoptive parents. I knew we were leaving that night for home, so I just tried to soak in the many sights and sounds of this day.

We arrived at Ronald Reagan Airport and checked right through. I was so surprised it was so quick. I made the comment to my husband that we should have stayed longer in the city. We boarded our American Airlines flight on time but sat on the tarmac for four hours while we waited out a storm in Hartford, Conn.

Our flight was to Logan (in Boston) with a connection to Portland Maine, so we knew we had missed our Portland flight when we arrived in Boston five hours later. We thought about renting a car and just driving home, but the counter person for the airline said that we should just stay the night. They would put our family up in a hotel and we could leave at 8:10 a.m. on Sept. 11.

At 7:30 a.m. on Sept. 11, we were sitting in Logan at the American Airlines terminal with (passengers on) Flight 11. Of course, I didn't know until the whole country knew who (the hijackers) were or what an impact those people would have on my life or the life of this country.

(Later) I was grateful I was alive, but so sad for the 88 people I sat with for 30 minutes before they boarded that ill-fated flight.

Arriving home, my husband told me I should call my sister and let them know we were OK. As I tried to tell my SIL we were OK, she told me my 7-year-old niece had died that morning at home in her Daddys arms and we needed to go to my sister's home right away.

Shock like that day should never happen to anyone. Even though I did not know anyone on those planes or in the twin towers, I did have a very special little niece to grieve for that day and forevermore.

Later that night my 14 yr old DD told me point blank she knew who the person was who crashed the plan and needed to tell someone. We called the FBI and told them what our DD told us.

A few days later my DH called me and said "What ever you do dont let DD see the TV or a newspaper untill I get home" When DH got home he showed me a picture of the man who flew that plan into the towers. My DD described him to a T!

How did your daughter know?

I remember dropping my daughter off for her first day preschool-picking grandma up to take her out to breakfast and hearing the news on the car radio. We never got to breakfast, headed right home to watch the news. I remember my friend calling saying that her daughters father was at work there and thay hadn't heard from him (he died), I called my friend at work because his brother was a NYC firefighter and he hadn't been able to reach him (he died), when we got back to pick up my daughter at school the office staff was crying, one of the childrens father was missing in the WTC (he died). I remember another friend calling me when her husband could finally get through to her that he was out safely. And most of all- I remember all the funerals that went on over the next year as they identified people that they found, and for peoples whos familys held out hope but eventually had to accept the fact that their loved one was never coming home.
I remember the wall of my godsons room-he was 13 then but dreamed of becoming a firefighter. He had a memorial made up of pictures from newspapers and magazines of all the firefighters there and the firetrucks on the scene. He never reached that dream-he died 7 months after 9/11- so that whole period of time was not something I like to look back on (as I am sitting here crying typing this out).

I remember that we were in Disney World - and how terrified and confused we were by what was happening.. Being so far from home made it even worse..

I also remember sitting outside on the deck of the cottage we had rented that night (with my son-in-law) and how eerily quiet it was without a single plane in the air..

I also remember how empty the parks were the first day they opened back up.. It was the strangest feeling ever..

I remember standing in front of the t.v. with my mouth just hanging open.. It simply would not register that this was happening here..

There's so much I remember.. It would take me forever to list it all..:sad1:

I remember having a friend walk into a church womens group meeting and say "They just hit the Pentagon." (We are in the area.)

I remember going to DD's school to pick her up in case we had to evacuate.

I remember getting in the car and turning around to tell her what had happened and starting off with...
"You will always remember this day for the rest of your life."

I remember when my DH got a hold of me on my cell-phone his first words were "Where have you been?". He said that he felt the Earth move when the plane hit the Pentagon.

I remember getting the car fill-up with gas and wondering where we would evacuate to.

I remember that we had a hard time getting phone calls out and that people outside here couldn't get calls in. The cell-phone system crashed. Thank God for the Internet. I was able to get a message to my SIL in Oklahoma that we (us & my DSis' famiy) were alright.

I remember that people who lived where my mother does in Pennsylvania were asked not to make any outgoing calls. She lives maybe 20 or 30 minutes from Shanskville PA. She said it was mysteriously odd...that where that plane went down is a field. Surrounded by houses.

agnes!

I remember logging on to work and starting to get a ton of IMs telling me to turn on CNN that a small plane had hit the WTC. It made me think of when that small plane landed in Russia square.

Then I saw the damage.

Then I saw the second plane hit.

I remember wanting to help but not having any way to do it. I talked to my co-workers out east all day and they told me things like fighter jets flying over their houses.

I was so scared, confused, nauseous, I can't even imagine what it was like to be there and to lose friends and loved ones and my heart goes out to you.

Everyone talks about the blue blue sky. It was that way here in Montana too. I watched one of the specials on 9/11 and how the FAA handled landing all of the planes, and they said they could never had done it as fast as they did except that there was basically no weather across the whole US. Bright sunny exceptionally blue skies for everyone.

I remember I had gone into work early that day. My daughter was 8 months old. My MIL was taking care of her at their house and my husband was doing work there as well. At about 9:15 my husband called me at work. He very rarely call me so I was worried something was wrong with the baby. He told me a plane hit the WTC. I thought it was a freak accident. He called back a little while later and said a second plane hit the other tower and there was talks of terrorists. I thought that was crazy. Then when he called and said there was an explosion at the Pentagon, I was sick. By the time he called to tell me that there was a plane that had crashed I knew it was true. We were being attacked. I left my floor and went into our breakroom to watch the news. I remember our breakroom being crowded and silent. The only thing I heard was the TV and the sound of people crying. I remember leaving our building with my best friend to get a cup of coffee. When we were going back in I remember looking at the front of our building and thinking how very unimportant my job was. I work retail and I just kept thinking "None of this matters." I was a manager at the time. All of the managers gathered and we were told that we were closing for 2 reasons...out of respect for what just happened and that there was a rumor of a bomb threat in our area. The whole day was so surreal.

I left and went straight to my MIL's to be with my family. I cried the whole way. :sad1:

The following year I had my second child on September 9. I was in the hospital for the first anniversary of the worst day in our nations history. I remember watching the coverage, holding my new precious baby and crying.

I remember Joe called me, almost in hysterics, screaming, "A plane just hit the Trade Center!! There's people running!! Paper everywhere!!" He was at work downtown in the Flatiron Building and he could still see sheets of paper fluttering down even that far up.

He was clearly upset but I still thought it was a joke. He stayed on phone and I turned on the TV. I kept thinking it was just a Cesna and nothing more. I saw what happenend on the news and was stunned. Then the second plane hit and I heard Joe screaming, I heard the explosion in the background over the phone and I told him to get inside, to run, to get away. I did my best to stay calm, but he was so terrified by what he was seeing. The man that I swore my life to love forever was crying on the phone, running, out of breath.

He did go back inside and I saw on television that the tower fell and I started screaming, "Oh my GOD!" and swearing and told him what happend. He said they announced over the alarms that the building was shut down, that everyone was to go uptown and head home. He told me he loved me, that he'd be home soon.

I didn't know if the phone disconnected or if he hung up so I tried to call him back. Busy. Busy. Busy. Busy... all day long. Busy lines, recordings to everyone I called that "Due to high volume, this call could not be connected." Nothing.

I took my cel with me and ran down the street to the ATM and took out the max I was allowed. Went to the store to buy bottles of water and got as much as I could carry. Picked up some canned goods and carried everything back to the apartment. As I was walking, I saw people walking down Queens Blvd, all the way from Manhattan, with looks of shock. You could hear the breeze it was so quiet. No cars. Just people walking walking walking. I gave a few bottles of water and kept on my way home, terrified out of my mind that Joe was ok.

While walking, two screaming military jets flew low overhead, causing a huge BLAST of noise to break the silence. I and everyone around me fell to the ground, not knowing what the hell was going on.

I could see smoke over lower Manhattan blowing slowly into midtown from the footbridge into my neighborhood. Neighbors were standing on the bridge, most were dialing their cels, dialing, dialing, dialing, dialing and getting no where.

I walked into the apartment and turned on the news, and watched with the rest of the world. I was afraid for my friends. I was miserable not knowing what happened to Joe.

The phone rang and it was our friend Tom, who worked next to the towers. He sounded strained as if he'd been crying, told me he was trying every number in his phone book until he reached someone, anyone. He told me he couldn't get through to his parents and he just wanted his mom to know he was alive, he was ok. He told me he saw bodies falling in front of him. He cried the entire time on the phone.

I reached his Mom and she screamed to everyone else in her house that "Tommy was ok!"

I got through to our friend John. He couldn't leave his office because they had shut down the building but because of the debris from the towers that was piled in the street, they effectively locked everyone inside. He told me he'd been knocked off his chair in his office when the first tower fell and smacked his head, but that was the extent of it. All the windows had blown in on the entire office floor so he considered himself lucky. He asked me to help call his Mom in Connecticut to let her know he was ok. I tried but could never reach her. Phones were busy. Busy. Busy. Busy. Eventually John made it home later that day, covered in dust, coughing, but safe. He was a lawyer then. He's an episcopal priest now.

It was now going on late afternoon and I still hadn't heard from Joe. I had no idea whether he was dead or alive or hurt or scared. My heart was breaking. I just wanted him home.

The subways were shut down. The tunnels and bridges were closed to all traffic. Even if he could walk, he'd have been stopped.

Joe made it home later that night. They had turned on the subways that night with minimal service, bringing people home. The minute we saw each other, we hugged and didn't stop for what seemed like hours. I could feel him shaking. He probably felt me as well.

Over the weeks that followed, I remember that smell that came wafting into our neighborhood. To this day, when I smell smoke, I think of 9/11. I remember other smells too, from when I was down in ground zero at the respite centers. I remember how quiet the respite center areas were, day and night. I remember how the men and women were covered in black soot when they came in for a meal. I remember the one firefighter who just wanted a cup of coffee and a cookie. I remember an entire town in Texas that had sent us a massive box of cookies, each one individually wrapped and not a one had broken. I remember the letters that people from all over the world sent, thanking the men and women in ground zero. I hung them along the walls all over, just so everyone can see them and read them. I can tell you that whenever someone came in for a bottle of water, a sandwich or a meal, they would always walk along the walls and read those letters.

We all remember a lot from that day and the days that followed.

I got chills reading your story. I'm from Portland too. When it came out that the hijackers were in Portland the night before, a woman in our store came forward and told us that she saw them. Apparently she was on her break when two middle eastern men (we still don't know if it was them or not) walked into our breakroom. She apologized and said that it was for employees only. They said they were looking for a place to pray. The FBI was called and they came in and took our survailance tapes for that day and the day before. That was the last I heard of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter