As the Ticker Turns...the neverending saga of the Resort Changers

I'd never even considered changing resorts until I came across this thread. I totally blame (and thank) y'all for the idea. I usually stay at CBR - went with Port Orleans - Riverside and a Royal Room. It's just me and my husband traveling... so... after coming across this thread, I bit the bullet and upgraded to the Contemporary! I'm hoping the monorail/walk back from MNSSHP will be less crazy than waiting for a bus back to a resort. :hmghost:

Boring here too! Mime sticking to Poly this time!! Last year we jumped ship to GF, but so far sticking to Poly!! 28 days to go.
I've switched positions in June within same school, so now no January semester break :sad:. Some of you may know I usually go 2x a year, Jan & August. So now, I Can only get away in summer. When school is closed :rolleyes: ugh. This will be the first year I don't renew AP. don't think I'll survive!! Pout!

Hello RCers! Ironically, I'm stopping by for some help in NOT changing! My quick AKL stay with the kids is just two weeks away! It's a quick trip before our family beach vacation, so it's supposed to be a relatively budget stay (last year when we did this, we stayed at All Star Music.)

I promised not to stalk AP rate Poly availability, but I've been doing that anyway. Right now, there is availability, just not with a discount. And I definitely won't pay rack rate. But so many times in the past, the AP rate has become available at the last minute, so that might happen here. I really should stick with AKL for many reasons. Cost is one. So far this year, we've done two split stays at great resorts, including CLs at Poly, AKL, GF RPC, BC and WL. So no splits this time, and I should really keep costs down. Heat is another. Love that AKL is all is one air-conditioned building, and we'll be close to the pool in our pool view room. But we love Poly . . .

Hello RCers! Ironically, I'm stopping by for some help in NOT changing! My quick AKL stay with the kids is just two weeks away! It's a quick trip before our family beach vacation, so it's supposed to be a relatively budget stay (last year when we did this, we stayed at All Star Music.)

I promised not to stalk AP rate Poly availability, but I've been doing that anyway. Right now, there is availability, just not with a discount. And I definitely won't pay rack rate. But so many times in the past, the AP rate has become available at the last minute, so that might happen here. I really should stick with AKL for many reasons. Cost is one. So far this year, we've done two split stays at great resorts, including CLs at Poly, AKL, GF RPC, BC and WL. So no splits this time, and I should really keep costs down. Heat is another. Love that AKL is all is one air-conditioned building, and we'll be close to the pool in our pool view room. But we love Poly . . .
Hahaha! Well, we had a great pool view room on Zebra trail, 4th floor 2nd pod. We really did enjoy it. And Zebra trail is so convienent. AKL pool is huge. Granted, not a great slide, but the pool is so pretty, and relaxing. And you can go check Kidani pool too. I believe you are allowed to use either.

Hahaha! Well, we had a great pool view room on Zebra trail, 4th floor 2nd pod. We really did enjoy it. And Zebra trail is so convienent. AKL pool is huge. Granted, not a great slide, but the pool is so pretty, and relaxing. And you can go check Kidani pool too. I believe you are allowed to use either.

Yay, Sue! Yes, you are a great help! We stayed on Zebra trail for both our CL stay and our pool view stay - 2nd pod would be great! I do love the AKL pool, and think it's among the most relaxing. (Although they all have the loud afternoon games - our 16-year-old gets so crabby overhearing the trivia games and wants to scream "Nobody knows! They are five years old!" when there is a string of questions without answers!) It's almost worth the games to watch him react. :) Yes on Kidani pool! Two AKL stays ago we had time to use that one and it's fabulous. I keep thinking our youngest would love the new Poly play area, but I know he loves the Kidani splash area too.

Your trip is so close! And I'm with you on the APs - we won't renew this February. Tough with school schedules, and I can probably do my runDisney events with 2 or 3-day park hoppers.

Yay, Sue! Yes, you are a great help! We stayed on Zebra trail for both our CL stay and our pool view stay - 2nd pod would be great! I do love the AKL pool, and think it's among the most relaxing. (Although they all have the loud afternoon games - our 16-year-old gets so crabby overhearing the trivia games and wants to scream "Nobody knows! They are five years old!" when there is a string of questions without answers!) It's almost worth the games to watch him react. :) Yes on Kidani pool! Two AKL stays ago we had time to use that one and it's fabulous. I keep thinking our youngest would love the new Poly play area, but I know he loves the Kidani splash area too.

Your trip is so close! And I'm with you on the APs - we won't renew this February. Tough with school schedules, and I can probably do my runDisney events with 2 or 3-day park hoppers.
Glad to talk you off the ledge lol!
My trip is closer then you know!! Although my countdown is for 8/22, I leave for Ft Laudrrdale 8/12!! So soon!! Scary to think my summer is half over :scared:
It's going to be so strange not to have an AP. still thinking. I know next Aug trip will be 2 weeks also. So wait till the 60 day to either buy 10 day park ticket or another AP? But I'd be paying more for Ap with loosing AP renewal discount? Ugh.
It's going to be even stranger not going for my usual January trip.

Glad Sue talked you down, AKL is so amazing. My kids loved the pool! The comment from your teen made me LOL, he is wise beyond his years and makes me think of my DH...

Erika's live report and pics are the clincher!!

New room decor is awesome and the food in the lounge is better than ever! Do miss having a view from the lounge, but you already know about that going in so all should be well. Love that it's all in one gloriously air-conditioned building and the "secret entrance" near epcot is wonderful on a hot day. When we stay at BC in the summer, we're in that pool for hours. I'm a huge fan of the kiddie slide and pool at the base of the pirate ship. It's entirely uncrowded, has a view of the lake, and great with kids of varying ages. Our youngest used to swim around in there and go down the little slide, and from our spot in the water, we could still monitor the bigger kids going up the jib slide entrance. Just love it!

New room decor is awesome and the food in the lounge is better than ever! Do miss having a view from the lounge, but you already know about that going in so all should be well. Love that it's all in one gloriously air-conditioned building and the "secret entrance" near epcot is wonderful on a hot day. When we stay at BC in the summer, we're in that pool for hours. I'm a huge fan of the kiddie slide and pool at the base of the pirate ship. It's entirely uncrowded, has a view of the lake, and great with kids of varying ages. Our youngest used to swim around in there and go down the little slide, and from our spot in the water, we could still monitor the bigger kids going up the jib slide entrance. Just love it!
And of course than helps ;)

Uh oh. It's one week until our departure/AKL stay, and I have been occasionally checking availability for Poly. There has been some availability at values and mods for our dates, but not much in the deluxe category, so no temptation to change. Until today. Now, there is a TON of availability at WL, BC, BWI at prices relatively comparable to our AKL pool view. I just stayed at BWI for a conference, and we were at BC for Easter Weekend, so I'm considering WL. Courtyard view for $233!! Our oldest is the only one who knows about the trip, so I think I'll let him decide. :)

Uh oh. It's one week until our departure/AKL stay, and I have been occasionally checking availability for Poly. There has been some availability at values and mods for our dates, but not much in the deluxe category, so no temptation to change. Until today. Now, there is a TON of availability at WL, BC, BWI at prices relatively comparable to our AKL pool view. I just stayed at BWI for a conference, and we were at BC for Easter Weekend, so I'm considering WL. Courtyard view for $233!! Our oldest is the only one who knows about the trip, so I think I'll let him decide. :)
That's a great price. I think it is very sweet to let your oldest decide. :goodvibes
You'll be there before you know it! Enjoy! :beach:

Where or where will Pixar stay :) I will be at BC in 10 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And in 4 days we will be cruising down I-95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where or where will Pixar stay :) I will be at BC in 10 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And in 4 days we will be cruising down I-95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay Pas! Love that drive - especially South of the Border! I'm sure it's not as awesome and amazing as I remember it from my childhood Disney drives, but the thought of it makes me smile. We'll really look forward to your report, including your thoughts regarding Anna Maria Island!

So our oldest votes for the switch to WL and we made the change!!! With taxes, just $19 more per night to switch from AKL pool view to WL courtyard view!

Yay Pas! Love that drive - especially South of the Border! I'm sure it's not as awesome and amazing as I remember it from my childhood Disney drives, but the thought of it makes me smile. We'll really look forward to your report, including your thoughts regarding Anna Maria Island!

So our oldest votes for the switch to WL and we made the change!!! With taxes, just $19 more per night to switch from AKL pool view to WL courtyard view!
Sounds great, I love AKL....but WL is fabulous and the boat to MK is awesome!!! I can't wait to get to the beach, and then the BC!!!

OMG how did I not find this thread sooner!?!? HELP HELP HELP! I'm going insane with my indecisiveness. Two days ago I finally told myself, "no, we are staying put, quit toying around with the idea of making a switch." That lasted all of a few hours until I was back online researching what my options were... I feel like I'm losing my mind!

Long story short, we were originally booked at POR using a bounceback. I decided to make a switch to surprise DH (we are going to celebrate our first anniversary and have both acknowledged this will probably be our last trip before trying to start a family). I changed to Yacht Club CL GV--this will be our first time staying deluxe. I am SOOO excited, although a little nervous because I've heard rumors of construction and not knowing whether we could be displaced as a result thereof is terrifying, and I'm also not sure the room décor is really our cup of tea. For me the allure was being so close to Epcot, DHS, and the Boardwalk (DH specifically requested we make a trip over to the Boardwalk this trip to grab a bite to eat and explore), and SAB looks amazing (which is a bonus since our arrival day we planned to hang out at the resort pool).

Over the weekend I (stupidly) played the "if we won the lottery and money was no option and we could stay at any deluxe we wanted, where would you want to stay?" He just kept saying he thought he would rather stay at POR than any deluxe (ugh!! although, to be fair, he has only stayed on property once--at POR for our honeymoon). After showing him videos of some of the resorts, he said he really like the Poly because he likes the idea of staying at a themed hotel while in Disney because it feels a little more special than just staying at a nice hotel that is coincidentally on Disney property. I can see why he finds Poly appealing, and think he would like AKL as well. So now I'm making myself crazy toying with the idea of if I should switch to one of those... For approximately the same price (because currently there is no availability at either w/ our bb offer), I could switch to AKL Arusha view room OR Poly deluxe studio villa. PROS: those rooms are gorgeous and the décor seems to be much more our taste. CONS: we would lose the club level and, if at AKL, would lose the convenience factor in terms of transportation/location.

Thoughts? Should I stay or should I switch? Reassurance that I'm not entirely insane for flipping back and forth on this will also be greatly appreciated! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter