• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Article on WDW considering a "demand pricing plan"

I think you're right except for thinking (hoping?) it would make for fewer visitors. The un-customer friendly changes of the past few years certainly haven't affected crowd levels. Customer satisfaction? Perhaps. Return visits? Perhaps. Length of stay or on-site vs. off-site? Perhaps. But those parks are still gosh darn full day in and day out.

When planning this recent trip, I dug out a folder of Disney memorabilia from our many trips when we lived in Florida (2006-2012). It made me remember how many awesome promotions there were! Remember when Florida residents got 15-month passes for the price of a 12-month annual pass? Remember buy three days, get two free? Remember free admission on your birthday in 2009? (I had totally forgotten that until I found our specially printed birthday tickets in the folder!) And the Florida resident annual pass was SO affordable. I maybe paid $350 or $400 most years? They charge twice that now. I'm kind of glad we moved back up north!

Disney didn't offer these discounts out of the goodness of their hearts. They needed to due to the tourism declines after 9/11 & the stock market decline & economic crisis. The economy is better, that's why parks are full & discounts are declining.

Universal hotels are operated by the Loews chain, not by Universal itself. Kind of like the difference between the Disney resorts and the Swan/Dolphin, which are operated by a chain. Chain hotels usually operate at a higher standard of service than WDW does - because you can always decide to go to another chain if you like them better. With Disney, it's onsite if you want to be near, or offsite if you would rather spend less (you can go to the Swan/Dolphin if you want but it's the only non-Disney resort that uses Disney transportation and/or is in walking distance of any WDW theme parks.)
I'm not sure if this matters in the case of Universal. You also decide there whether you want to be onsite or not and I know that when I stay anywhere I care about service whether the resort is part of a chain or not.

Well, yes, there will be some. Backlash will happen with any change.

If you want to travel at the most popular times you should probably expect that you'll be paying more someday.

If you are intending to go to Universal because you don't like this idea...Universal is apparently on track to start it first (at their park in California, but if they like it, it will spread).

Many people don't WANT to travel during the most popular times. They have to. And they shouldn't be penalized for that. Disney is expensive enough as it is. And Universal's method of doing it, and what Disney proposed are two VERY different schemes.

Not hoping anything, I just think most people haven't reached the point to give up on going to Disney yet but tiered pricing definitely could be the shove to a lot of people that would make them stop going. I remember some of those things, we were in Georgia for part of that time though

I can 100% say that if they go to tiered pricing, such as they proposed in that survey, we will never step foot in WDW again. Which is sad. But they will have completely priced us out.

"...I like to think that Disney prefers to differentiate itself from other theme parks and set a higher standard for service."

This is becoming less evident. You just have to stay at one of the Universal hotels to realize Disney does not have a monopoly on service.

Just curious... do people feel there is better service at DL than WDW?

When planning this recent trip, I dug out a folder of Disney memorabilia from our many trips when we lived in Florida (2006-2012). It made me remember how many awesome promotions there were! Remember when Florida residents got 15-month passes for the price of a 12-month annual pass? Remember buy three days, get two free? Remember free admission on your birthday in 2009? (I had totally forgotten that until I found our specially printed birthday tickets in the folder!) And the Florida resident annual pass was SO affordable. I maybe paid $350 or $400 most years? They charge twice that now. I'm kind of glad we moved back up north!

Yeah! I remember getting ultimate fast passes for our entire group for the day at epcot on my birthday!

Just curious... do people feel there is better service at DL than WDW?

I was at both last year and don't think there's a big difference. I stayed at VGC, I think it's a beautiful hotel, on par with GF. DL has really increased ticket prices, even more than WDW. A full year annual pass is over $1,000.

Universal hotels are operated by the Loews chain, not by Universal itself. Kind of like the difference between the Disney resorts and the Swan/Dolphin, which are operated by a chain. Chain hotels usually operate at a higher standard of service than WDW does - because you can always decide to go to another chain if you like them better. With Disney, it's onsite if you want to be near, or offsite if you would rather spend less (you can go to the Swan/Dolphin if you want but it's the only non-Disney resort that uses Disney transportation and/or is in walking distance of any WDW theme parks.)
Yes, but unlike the Swan/Dolphin, The Leows hotels get all the Universal perks.

Many people don't WANT to travel during the most popular times. They have to. And they shouldn't be penalized for that. Disney is expensive enough as it is. And Universal's method of doing it, and what Disney proposed are two VERY different schemes.
Well they aren't really penalized it just costs more. This already exists for hotels and airlines. Disney hotels are cheaper in September than say July or Christmas time. It's just how it goes.

I wouldn't be happy about this either. But that being said...

It seems that with us Disney fans and frequent park visitors, Disney can't win. "The parks are too crowded." So, how do you minimize them? Maybe you suggest they should add more capacity. But oh the construction woes - they've got walls up everywhere! They've closed rides. Construction isn't fast enough. AND the new rides had better be earth-shattering and the lands must be stunning. And let's not forget that current rides are really looking like they need some love and attention - Disney is just neglecting this or that attraction. But, God forbid they raise prices in order to do any of this. And, when Disney adds new lands and/or rides, MORE crowds will come, and despite added "capacity," it will "feel" crowded again. It's kind of a vicious cycle.

Granted, you *could* throw money at the problem - maybe hire more construction crews? But, that doesn't solve all the issues. So, I ask you - what do YOU suggest? If you were Iger, how would you deal with these problems - and complaints? How can he win you over? Or better yet, how can Disney Parks win you over because in reality, Iger has his attention divided over multiple businesses.

Relative to other forms of entertainment - let's say an NFL game - Disney is a really great deal! And maybe even compared to college football games. It's just that it's a big chunk all at once. Not one or two season tickets, but your entire family's season tickets - plus food and hotel rooms.

I know people come here to vent, but I guess this is my vent on the venting. :duck:

Maybe the better thing to do would've been to open a 5th park with all the new attractions and lands (somehow connecting it all into a theme) and for the time being leave the others alone, that probably wouldn't have cost too much more to do and would've helped with crowding. No new Disney theme parks in Orlando for such a long time, no wonder they feel the strain of crowding now. I read somewhere on the boards that about as many people went to WDW in '91 as last year (or possibly the year before). That was with 3 parks and there was no talk of tiered ticket pricing then (and of course ticket prices were a lot more in line with inflation then)

Last edited:
Right, they've ceased to care about people except how much they can monetize them. They've also ceased to care about having more affordable options like No expiration, or the better FL resident tickets that used to exist (not just discover disney, the usual ones used to have the no expiration option, no blockout dates, go up to 10 days and have a discount on 1 day). All the management up through the Eisner years was not like that but Iger's management has eroded through all that. If they go for tiered pricing they will truly be publicly saying that the only thing they care about is the bottom line. And I'd say it's very likely a lot less people would go

To be fair...they never cared about people nor "affordability"...it was always about as much capital/profit as possible.

What ironic is that the guy who cared the most about "people"...because he cared most about developing frequent, loyal visitors...was Michael Eisner.

The guy who "ruined the parks"

I'm just gonna throw it out here (before I get back to the towel animal thread)...

That increasing prices has NOTHING to do with crowds...not one bit. That's maybe the most obvious lie they've ever told...

It's about accounting...as in Shanghai, Paris, and ESPN...amongst other smaller fish.

I'm just gonna throw it out here (before I get back to the towel animal thread)...

That increasing prices has NOTHING to do with crowds...not one bit. That's maybe the most obvious lie they've ever told...

It's about accounting...as in Shanghai, Paris, and ESPN...amongst other smaller fish.
And don't forget about the WDW mentality of if you leave there is someone else to take your spot. Disney loves the first time guests and that's who they cater towards a lot of the time.

The thing is, if they did go for tiering and a lot of people left because of that, would the new people be enough or as loyal as those who left always used to be? I'd say it'd be doubtful

I like the way Universal is structuring theirs - as a full price ticket, with discounts for less busy days. Yes, I know it's all the same and just depends on your outlook and you can still consider it a premium/penalty for busier days. But the marketing works on me and they did not raise the day price, just said there will be discounts for online bookings and slower days.

Some venues already do this. One I can think of is LEGOLAND near Chicago. You can purchase a walk-up ticket, but you get a better price and a better choice of entry times if you book online. I suppose not so different from Disney's "reservation riding" but without the capability of all the consumer tracking of the bands.

Considering all that people have been posting on the DIS about "no more slow times"; the dwindling of discounts like free dining; off-season draws like food and wine, flower and garden, marathons; and already-occurred price hikes, I don't think Disney will discount low season tickets, but instead hike high season prices. This, to me, makes it much less palatable. As I said, I realize it really comes down to the same thing, but somehow Uni makes it feel like a discount to draw you in at slower times vs a price gouge to stick you just because they can when it's busy.

So Universal has now proven the path.

One year ago today, an annual pass to Universal was $92. 3 months ago it jumped to $139-$299 depending on blackout dates AND dropped free parking.

And now ... They seem like they are doing everyone a favor by giving a discount on pre-purchased tickets for dates that are likely blacked out on AP, still require parking, and are still $75/day.

Wooohooo! What's next - Disney raising the price $10 then throwing in free park hopper if you buy online in advance 3 day or more tickets? Except of course on weekends, and holidays, and summer, and spring break...

It's all slight of hand.

I think you're right except for thinking (hoping?) it would make for fewer visitors. The un-customer friendly changes of the past few years certainly haven't affected crowd levels. Customer satisfaction? Perhaps. Return visits? Perhaps. Length of stay or on-site vs. off-site? Perhaps. But those parks are still gosh darn full day in and day out.

Yes, I also remember that along with buy three days, get two free we got a 200 dollar Disney Gift Card with each room!

Looks like they have decided instead of free dining to fill the parks during slow times they will instead jack up the price during busy times. typical Disney

To be fair...they never cared about people nor "affordability"...it was always about as much capital/profit as possible.

What ironic is that the guy who cared the most about "people"...because he cared most about developing frequent, loyal visitors...was Michael Eisner.

The guy who "ruined the parks"

Walt - the one who developed the place, cared about affordability. And I think that it's his dream that most guests have kept with them, that kind of keeps that magic alive for them, and it's his dream that is being killed by the people in charge now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter