• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arrival Question

kimberwee

DIS Veteran
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but, the earliest we could get in to MCO would be 12:40 on the day of cruise departion...is this going to be enough time to get to the Dream using Disney Transportaion?

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but, the earliest we could get in to MCO would be 12:40 on the day of cruise departion...is this going to be enough time to get to the Dream using Disney Transportaion?

This question is better posed to DCL. If they say they can get you there on DCL transfers, then they will. I think it's a bit close, but who knows?

kimberwee said:

Is there no way you can fly in the day before? That late of an arrival time the day of sailing would have me on the brink of a panic attack for the entire length of travel... what if your non-DCL booked travel is delayed? Then the DCL transfers are no guarantee at all.

I am so paranoid about missing embarkation we are flying in two days before sailing because between limited flights and time zone shift we can't get to the port city before midnight. One delay could cause us to lose an entire travel day, which without the buffer day could cost us the cruise. Just too risky, IMHO.

Assuming no delays, you should be fine. According to DCL website, they recommend arrivals at MCO by 1:45pm as I believe all passengers must be onboard before 3:30pm (1 hour prior to ship's departure from port). However, as others pointed out, you might want to consider either an earlier flight or even the previous day to allow for any unexpected delays in travel.

Enjoy your cruise!

Can it work? Yes.

Is it good? No.
First, DCL recommends that you arrive before noon. The last scheduled bus is at 1:30 although they will run a later one for guests who have purchased DCL transfers and may be delayed....If they are running a later one and you are there, they'll allow you on it wit pre-purchased transfers.

BUT....what if.....flight delays happen all the time. Is it worth starting your brief vacation with this stress? We find flying in the day or evening before to be a wonderful thing and well worth the cost of the hotel. I can get a hotel off airport property WITH breakfast for $50 and still shuttle back to MCO for DCL transportation if desired. That's cheap insurance. If I'm in Orlando, then SOME WAY, I'm going to be on that ship. If I'm sitting at my home airport while they discuss an equipment failure on the plane, I have few choices if any. Even a late arrival in Orlando...like 10 pm...is better than day of the cruise.

You have to be on the ship by 4:00 p.m. Friends of ours were on the last bus from MCO for the Dream's MV with three other families. Their plane had been delayed due to serveral issues after it missed its initial early departure time. They were in contact with DCL the entire day. She didn't look at the speedometer. They were rushed into the terminal and onto the ship as the muster drill was happening.

Arrive the day before. For our last cruise, we were delayed in ATL and just made it to the ship DURING the safety drill. We were checked in at MCO at the ME desk, boarded the bus, got there as fast as possible and almost ran through the terminal to board the ship. No "Welcome so and so family" just "get to you safety drill check in spot". Never again will I arrive the day of. Ever.

It is quite remarkable though that our luggage made it onto the ship. I was convinced I'd be shopping on board for clothing for that cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter