Are You A Recliner??

When you only have about 10 inches, 2 inches means the world of difference....
There's a joke in there somewhere. :rotfl2:

Back on topic:
You know, I'd like to see pictures of these close quarters. I just measured. From my knees to my stomach is 12" All the flights I've been on (granted, mainly Delta), if you recline, the bottom of your seat slides forward slightly while the top of the seat goes back a couple inches (see the picture I posted on page 1). I'm estimating the space between the top of the seat in front of me and my face is ~24-30". Claims that you only have 10" to start with doesn't help your argument.

The biggest problem I've had when someone reclines the seat in front of me is if I have my laptop on the table, it changes the angle of the lid slightly. If you are so crowded on a flight that you only have 10" between you and the seat in front of you, why do you continue to fly that airline? People are complaining about how uncomfortable they are and want others to make them more comfortable (by not reclining a reclining seat), but aren't willing to fork out extra money to either:
A) Go to "Economy Comfort" (whatever the airline calls it).
B) Go to First Class.
C) Fly a different airline that doesn't cram you in like sardines.

You should know what you're getting into when you purchase your ticket. It's like buying tickets to WDW for Christmas week then complaining it's too crowded.

There's a joke in there somewhere. :rotfl2:

Back on topic:
You know, I'd like to see pictures of these close quarters. I just measured. From my knees to my stomach is 12" All the flights I've been on (granted, mainly Delta), if you recline, the bottom of your seat slides forward slightly while the top of the seat goes back a couple inches (see the picture I posted on page 1). I'm estimating the space between the top of the seat in front of me and my face is ~24-30". Claims that you only have 10" to start with doesn't help your argument.

The biggest problem I've had when someone reclines the seat in front of me is if I have my laptop on the table, it changes the angle of the lid slightly. If you are so crowded on a flight that you only have 10" between you and the seat in front of you, why do you continue to fly that airline? People are complaining about how uncomfortable they are and want others to make them more comfortable (by not reclining a reclining seat), but aren't willing to fork out extra money to either:
A) Go to "Economy Comfort" (whatever the airline calls it).
B) Go to First Class.
C) Fly a different airline that doesn't cram you in like sardines.

You should know what you're getting into when you purchase your ticket. It's like buying tickets to WDW for Christmas week then complaining it's too crowded.

Here's a photo for you...I'm sure it's 100% accurate:rotfl:

Reclining-Seats-1.jpg

On a side note...I have to say that I completely love that you just measured the distance from your knees to your stomach. That is thread-dedication, my friend!

people keep mentioning how it's ok to recline on a red-eye, but not during the day. sorry, I work nights.usually our flights are during my prime sleep time. also, it does hurt my back to sit totally upright at attention. so I do recline.. slowly, of course. and I still find it extremely difficult to sleep as I don't sleep on my back. so I'll try for a while, sit up and work at a crossword for a while,, try again. etc. one trip the person in front of me complained because my writing on the crossword was jiggling my tray table, hence, her seat. and then when I tried to sleep again, the guy behind me was mad cause he was using his LAPtop on the tray table.. sorry but I warned you I would be slowly moving back. I'm going on 2 hours sleep here.. tops... and it's a LAPtop, not a TRAYtop.

I definitely recline. Sorry to people behind me! They need to add lumbar support to the seats and then maybe I would stay upright more.

The reason the recline has become such a big deal is because the airlines are squeezing as much room as they can out of the plane now. We fly often and have been on a lot of flights where the seat barely reclines, to flights with like 3 inches of recline. I was hit by a drunk driver in my teens, and have regular back pain if I don't sit a certain way. I can slouch for awhile, but at some point I need to recline a little bit. Ive never had someone complain, so I hope I haven't made someone upset.

I think it depends on the length of the flight.

Its a 8 - 9 hr flight to MCO so at some point i will recline. However if i'm awake and its meal time, out of courtesy, I'll raise my chair up so the person behind me can eat.

If its a flight that is less than 2 hours I won't recline. Usually those flights are really cramped so I'll just sleep upright if i need to.

Agree with the person about the laptop. I also use my laptop on a tray and nothing worse than getting comfy and finding the perfect viewing angle on my laptop and someone reclining back, moving my laptop 2 inches closer to me and having to find a new viewing angle.

I always recline, usually for the whole trip, because I find it more comfortable. I have absolutely no problem at all if the person in front of me reclines. I don't really notice much of a difference in my space whether they are reclined or not. I have plenty of room either way.

It is just one of those situation where I don't really care what other people are doing, I just worry about myself.

Hahahaha! This was an enjoyable thread to read.

I guess I would be considered one of the annoying ones as I like to recline my seat but I am always conscious of the person behind be as not to recline too far or too fast. However on the flip side, sometimes the person sitting behind me has leg issues or just cannot sit still and kicks the back of my seat constantly....I find that to be incredibly annoying. Or how about when the person behind you, regardless if I recline my seat or not, uses the back of my seat to pull them selves up out of their seat. By doing this it cause my seat to move back in a quick jerking motion, if I was sleeping they would wake me.

I guess that when flying you should always hope for the best but expect the worst when it comes to passangers around you. :upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter