• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are we the only ones that don't make rope drop?

We planned on, but didn't quite make RD during our vacation. We're certainly never going to be the people who get there 30-45 minutes before RD, I can guarantee that (our kids just aren't early risers). We did get there right at or right after park opening (usually by 9:15 for a 9:00 opening) and that worked well for us.

No, we do not do rope drop. Way back in the day when my kids were little we got up early a few times, but haven't done that in years. We don't care to ride a ride 5-6 times. We go with the flow. We usually always stay in a DVC villa and I love just hanging out in the morning with my family having breakfast, and then making it to the parks when we get there. I will say that we go very often, multiple times a year so we don't feel the need to do everything. On the other end, we are usually one of the last families to leave a park at night. I guess we are just night owls!! To each their own I always say. Enjoy Disney any way you like!!!

Enjoy The Magic!!

DD (22) and I were there for 5 days last week. I got up early every day (by 7:00), showered and got ready and then I woke her up. She works the 4-midnight shift at home, so is a night owl, and I teach HS so I am up by 5:30 every day. Sleeping until 7:00 was a luxury!:rotfl: She is also a "night shower" person, so it worked out well.

We were at every park by 9:15 each day and actually made RD at MK and got to see the show one day. We literally walked on to most of the popular rides every morning. The only one we didn't get to do was Splash Mountain, as it was down almost the entire day that we were there. The other two times we were at MK, it was after dark and we didn't want to take the chance of getting wet and walking around in wet clothes for the rest of the night.

On our first trip our kids were 4 and 2. Every day we were up early with our kids who refused to sleep past 6 am LOL ... we did rope drop every single day and I LOVED IT!!!! It was great to see the park that early, get things done, head home for naps, etc. Not to mention the quick service at our hotels were so empty!

Now my kids were 7, 5 and 3 on the last trip and woke up later. But I refuse to set an alarm on vacation! So we end up getting to the parks at 9:30-10 and staying most of the day instead of heading back. Somedays we did, but most we did not. By the time, we got to breakfast though, it was packed solid.

Both have their advantages. But just from reading posts on this board, it seems not making rope drop is not the norm.....

I started going to WDW in 1992 and my trip in a 2 weeks time will be my 11th. I have NEVER been to rope drop! This will be the first time in all my trips (including with my kids getting me up at the crack of dawn in 2008) that I will go for RD! I didn't know that it was such a big deal until this year!

I've only done rope drops once in my entire life. When I was on a solo trip a few years ago. I'm an early riser and really enjoyed it. But I usually go with a group and we get a much, much later start. ;)

A big "Thank you" to all who sleep in.

You're welcome!

You beat me to it. :lmao: Ditto.

We have yet to make it to rope drop. I can get everyone up at 6 and we still won't make it. Especially if we go with my D'Sis. She takes 2 hours to get ready. Then by the time we eat breakfast we're not getting to the parks until 10. I was lucky enough to get everyone to an 8 am ADR for breakfast at CP last trip. Hopefully this next trip we make it to a couple of RD's.

We nearly always go at an "off" time. I don't see any reason to make rope-drop when we hardly ever wait more than 15 minutes for anything (thanks FP) even at 3 in the afternoon.

The only park we get up early for is DHS and that's because I like TSM, but don't love it and if I can't get FPs for it, we surely won't do it.

I hope to *someday* make it to a rope drop but it's not realistic for our family. :laughing:

We've never made RD, but we're generally there shortly thereafter (except on arrival day). We're usually at the park about 30 minutes past opening and, having eaten breakfast already, we're ready to hit the rides. Crowds don't usually start getting heavy until 11:30 or later, so we're able to get a LOT done in those first few hours and can take it easy the rest of the day.

Like a PP said -- a big thank you to those who sleep in. ;)

If we are going to a park, we hit rope drop. End of story. We do it because it's not the norm though, and we find it makes our touring so much easier.

This is us too. I'm not a morning person; on weekends at home, I sleep in til 11! But if I'm at Disney, I'm taking advantage of rope drop and rides with no wait.

If I want a relaxing, sleeping-in kind of vacation, I head to the beach.

Then again, I don't really enjoy sleeping late on any kind of vacation because I feel like I'm wasting my time there if I'm just spending it asleep.

In all my trips, I've never seen a rope drop. :)

I'm on vacation and I want to stay relaxed. We wake up when we wake up...but we also stay out late (always go to evening EMH), so we get plenty of park time with little to no wait. :wizard:

Are we the only ones that don't make rope drop?

No. In fact, the vast majority of visitors to WDW do not make rope drop. That is why making rope drop is so good. A plurality (if not a majority) don't make it until at least 11 am.

We are going to try and make it to rope drop on each of our park days this upcoming trip. On our last two trips we traveled with family, so had to have at least 6 other people up and ready and never did make rope drop.

I'm determined to do it this time and then compare and contrast to see what we like better!

I have never seen a rope drop. Not when I was a kid, and not now that I'm an adult. My children will never see a rope drop. They will, in fact, remain blissfully ignorant of the fact that there is even such a thing as a "rope drop." If ever some day, when they are old enough to find out about such things on their own, they say, "Mom, let's get up early and go to this rope drop thingy!" I will say, "Go yourselves, children, for though I am reasonably certain you came from my womb, I am now severely questioning the identity of your father."

I've never (or even tried!) to make it to rope drop. Getting there super early is never a priority. We'd much rather stay late with EMH's.

That being said... it seems we will have to do rope drop for our upcoming trip in May for SWW. We've never attempted it and are dreading waking up early. This trip is one for the "bucket list" and we likely won't attempt SWW again, so we'll set our alarms!

I have never seen a rope drop. Not when I was a kid, and not now that I'm an adult. My children will never see a rope drop. They will, in fact, remain blissfully ignorant of the fact that there is even such a thing as a "rope drop." If ever some day, when they are old enough to find out about such things on their own, they say, "Mom, let's get up early and go to this rope drop thingy!" I will say, "Go yourselves, children, for though I am reasonably certain you came from my womb, I am now severely questioning the identity of your father."

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Been there, done that. No desire to do it again

If I want to get up at 6 am I'd stay home and go to work. If I wanted to make my kids crabby and whiny I'd stay home and make them go to school.

I actually had one of my sons say that to me. After the 3rd day of forcing them to get up he said he wished he stayed home with Grandma.

Riding dumbo 4 times is not an "priority"

I've been going to WDW for 25 years and have only seen one rope drop... and it was because I went out of my way to see MK's, finally. It really depends on the time of year you go. If you go during a non-peak time like we normally do, I just don't feel compelled to get up on vacation when I don't have to!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter