Are the All Star Resorts THAT bad?

Originally posted by ducklite
The OP asked for an honest opinion, which I gave in a manner to manage his expectations. My second post was in response to another poster who posted inaccurate info. What is wrong with comparring the value resorts to two well known chains which they are quite comparable to?

"Inaccurate info" in your opinion. Dragging Mr. Webster and Mobile Travel Guide into it was (1) uncalled for and (2) didn't really prove your point. It just looked high handed.

In my opinion, the All Stars are not "quite comparable" to any well known 2* national chain. I just stayed at All Star Sports last week, so my memory is pretty fresh. The All Stars are cleaner, the furniture is nicer, the pools and grounds are much nicer, the food in the food court is actually good and you have all the perks of being a WDW resort guest. The only thing similarity between the All Stars and a Red Roof Inn {shudder} is the exterior hallways. To tell you the truth, I find the All Stars and their exterior hallways less noisy than the deluxe resorts' interior hallways.

Just so you don't think I am ignorant of deluxe accommodations, here's my list of WDW resorts: ASSp, ASMu, CBR, Contemporary, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Wilderness Lodge Villas, Old Key West, Swan. In addition, my husband is Hilton HHonors Diamond and SPG Platinum and we are always upgraded to the Executive (Concierge) Level when we stay at a Hilton or a Starwood property.

So based on the above definitions,the moderates would be considered a motel too, with a sit-down restaurant that is ??? Otherwise all of the other amenities are the same as the Values. I feel that Disney hotels are a breed all of their own, and comparing them to any Motel or Hotel, be it value/mod/deluxe level is like trying to compare coffee and tea. There is no comparison 'cause these other chains do not have the "magic". To me, a Motel is where you sleep at night with very little to do or see otherwise -- that is not Disney. I too have stayed at all levels, including home away from home villas and I would take the All Stars any day!

As far as space goes, my family of four, including 2 strollers, large cooler, clothes for all seasons, playpen, toys, Exersaucer etc have all nicely fit into a room at the All Stars. We actually found a lot less room at AKL, with the exception of the sink area.

To the OP: have a magical trip -- you will all love it!!!:D

Mary Liz

Our experience with All Stars Movies was great back in April. The kids loved it. We were not bothered with the noise as we were away from the center of it all (the pool and the food court). We were in a room on the ground level down where the giant Buzz and Woody are. The rooms were clean and the service was great! I agree that the rooms are a little small, but we spent so little time in them, that it hardly mattered. If you are looking to save some money, it's definately the way to go.

Well - I certainly started something didn't I?:rolleyes: To those who gave me constructive information, I thank you. To the others who chose to use my question as an excuse to air their gripes - one post would have been sufficient thank you. I got your message the first time.:mad:

I still haven't made up my mind, but I'm leaning towards the ASMo.

I never seem to see any posts from the Ft. Wilderness campers. I admit that camping is not for me, but some people spend perfectly terrific vacations in small travel trailers and tents that are MUCH smaller than the All Stars rooms. If they can have fun, I'm sure that grandparents and grandkids can have a great time in an All Stars room that not only has great theming, but indoor plumbing as well!

I think another reason I like to stay at the All Star's is that people are very down to earth. I don't want my kids acting like they're something that they are not in order to please the people around them. We're on Vacation and I'll be darned if I have to keep them locked up in some building that sells stuff that is ridiculously priced or having them wear their Sunday best everyday so they fit in. The All Star's are for anybody who wants to have fun and are people friendly.

Sorry if I offended anyone, didn't mean to but I couldn't keep my cool on this one. I tried to do it tactfully.:rolleyes:

AllStarfan,
I'm really hoping I have totally misunderstood your post. What I got from your post is that you feel anyone who doesn't stay at the All Stars is making their children act like something they are not. They also keep them locked up in a building where they must wear their Sunday best. And they are not friendly.
Why would you attack someone just because they do not like the All Stars? When you are in the parks can you tell who's not staying at All Stars because they are wearing their Sunday best?? WDW has many resorts because guests all have their own tastes and opinions of what they want from their vacation. That certainly doesn't make those that stay at value resorts any better or worse than someone staying at a deluxe. Open your mind its ok for people to have a different opinion than you do.

sue1013,

I think you did not understand me. My post was in response to another poster who felt the need to go out of her way and explain what a low class motel is. I felt compelled to write that post because I was amazed by how a person could go on and on about it and not have any respect for others. I don't think I attacked anyone, I defended my lifestyle.

You're right about WDW having many different resorts for the different lifestyles that people appreciate. I think she should have said "It's not for me" and left it alone. The fact that she had to bring in the webster dictionary and tell us what a motel was very insulting to say the least. It made her look like a snob.
THAT is a person who needs to appreciate people's different lifestyles. JMHO

Is our room ready yet? We check-in Movies on Saturday for a week. Never stayed here, but am TOTALLY sure our 4yo will enjoy this more than any other place we could of chosen.

Be sure you take lots of pictures. We have only stayed at the All Star Sports(3 times) but my kids (who are now 16 & 12) still love looking at the photos of themselves on the "x" and "o" on the football field. This is a great resort for the money. The bus service was great the last time we went. No complaints. Sometimes there were ALOT of kids..... but hey thats what Disney is all about. Have a great time.

To the OP, you can see that the Allstars has plenty of fans and is a fine place to stay under your terms. I think that it's a particularly fun place for small children. It's not our cup of tea (and I will definitely leave it at that!) but this is just a matter of my own preference. I'm personally just a moderate hotel fan even though DS keeps asking to stay at the Polynesian :eek: but I can see why the Allstars has its supporters. It's a cute place and usually a good bargain.

Originally posted by allstarfan707
I think another reason I like to stay at the All Star's is that people are very down to earth. I don't want my kids acting like they're something that they are not in order to please the people around them. We're on Vacation and I'll be darned if I have to keep them locked up in some building that sells stuff that is ridiculously priced or having them wear their Sunday best everyday so they fit in. The All Star's are for anybody who wants to have fun and are people friendly.

Sorry if I offended anyone, didn't mean to but I couldn't keep my cool on this one. I tried to do it tactfully.:rolleyes:

We've stayed at the All Stars and we've stayed at the GF, and we've worn the same clothes and acted the same way at both. The souveniers cost the same in the gift shops at both resorts. The food in Gasparillas is the same price as the food in the All Stars food courts.

People are as down to earth in one resort as they are in the next.

And keeping your kids "locked up in a building"?
As long as your clothes and body are clean and "presentable" you'll fit in as well in one WDW resort as you would in any other.

Do you think people stay at ANY WDW resort to not have fun? That's just absurd.

Speaking for myself, you didn't offend me, but you sure made me wonder just what the heck you are talking about?

Anne

Originally posted by allstarfan707
sue1013,

I think you did not understand me. My post was in response to another poster who felt the need to go out of her way and explain what a low class motel is. I felt compelled to write that post because I was amazed by how a person could go on and on about it and not have any respect for others. I don't think I attacked anyone, I defended my lifestyle.

You're right about WDW having many different resorts for the different lifestyles that people appreciate. I think she should have said "It's not for me" and left it alone. The fact that she had to bring in the webster dictionary and tell us what a motel was very insulting to say the least. It made her look like a snob.
THAT is a person who needs to appreciate people's different lifestyles. JMHO

I NEVER called the value resorts low class. In fact I told the OP that FOR HIS PURPOSES THE ALL STARS WOULD BE FINE! It's called MANAGING EXPECTATIONS.

If YOU have SUCH A COMPLEX that you read more into a post than is put there, that's YOUR problem.

And I also fine it interesting that you come on to these boards all of a sudden and do nothing but post negatively about me.

Anne

If YOU have SUCH A COMPLEX that you read more into a post than is put there, that's YOUR problem.

I guess I have that problem, too.
Yes, All Stars is a motel, thank you for the definition. :rolleyes:

I try to stay away from threads like this but it reminds me so much of another that I couldn't help myself...
I'm surprised that the moderators haven't stopped this thread yet. It seems that a simple question has turned into something that includes personal attacks and insults- from both sides of the spectrum.
There was a post a while ago called "How do you feel about the Value resorts..truthfully"(or something like that) where most of these sentiments were echoed...only in a much more civil and firendly way. I wish I could find this thread to show that even though some posters are seeming like they are being snobbish and others are seeming like they are being way too defensive-we all realy feel that no matter where you stay at WDW it is you who make or break the Magical Experience. Even one poster who people feel it is necessary to flame replied to that thread in a positive way. We are all very passionate about WDW or we wouldn't be here on the DIS. I think to insult and patronize are uncalled for (that isn't for one person) in any of these threads. This is a great forum to discuss, plan, help and opinionate-but I just don't understand why this can't be done tactfully. I respect every poster's view of the resorts of their choice, and find such views helpful in making choices.
I am an All Star Resort Fan. I always will be. I like the quality of service that you get. My DD has stayed in deluxe resorts and value resorts and assures me that the Level of Service is the same. Now she has never stayed Deluxe Concierge, which would be much more Guest Service Intensive-but that is what conceirge is. She says that the CM's are just as attentive no matter where you stay.
The amenities differ, the corridors are different, the rooms are slightly smaller, the atmosphere (why I go) is the same for her.
GrammaP. from one grandmother to another, I think that you will have a wonderful time at any of the value resorts. Your Grandchildren will absolutely without a doubt love staying at the ASR's.

an establishment which provides lodging and parking and in which the rooms are usually accessible from an outdoor parking area

If we're going to use Webster's as the defining source for what the All Stars are, then OKW is a motel too. I'd bet there's more than a few DVC'ers who would argue with that classification.

True, all motels are accessible from an outdoor parking area, but that doesn't mean that any place that is accessed from the parking area is a motel. The All Stars are resorts, not motels.

Since one rarely visits a Red Roof Inn, Days Inn, or Motel 6 for vacation, I don't think they're a proper comparison.

Ya know, when my famiy went on vacation when I was a kid, we stayed at cheap motels and cooked in the room. That is the only way we could afford to go anywhere. The criteria for a motel were: Cheap; clean; air conditioned [we didnt' have AC at home, so a real treat]; swimming pool. We always ended up staying at some place on the highway instead of right in the city because it cost less.

If we had stayed at someplace like an All Stars when I was a kid, I would have been thrilled and would have thought we were rich.

My bottom line is as long as I get equivalent value for what I pay I am satisfied. The AS hotels prvide a good value for their cost. I have stayed at Movies and Music and had no problems with their quality nor lack of services. I got whatI expected. Neither stay was at a peak time so I don't know how my reaction would be during an extremely busy time but I will assume WDW adds support to meet the demand.
As far as labeling a guest at a value, mod or deluxe- I can't see how you can strictly by amount paid for room? This seems to be hidden topic within the post. I could care less what you want to call the property- a motel or a luxury resort, I only look for fair service for a reasonable price.;)

Originally posted by peachgirl
Since one rarely visits a Red Roof Inn, Days Inn, or Motel 6 for vacation, I don't think they're a proper comparison.

I think a LOT of people who stay outside of WDW, particularly in parts of Kissimmee and on I-Drive might argue that statement. In fact is seems that there is an overabundance of Days Inns in the greater Orlando area.

And BTW--IMHO You really can't compare ANY WDW resort to a Days Inn or Motel 6, which have to be generally some of the the most vile places on the earth. (I'm sure that chainwide there are a few exceptions.)

Anne

Originally posted by ducklite
I NEVER called the value resorts low class. In fact I told the OP that FOR HIS PURPOSES THE ALL STARS WOULD BE FINE! It's called MANAGING EXPECTATIONS.

And I also fine it interesting that you come on to these boards all of a sudden and do nothing but post negatively about me.

Anne

:duck:

:bitelip:

Maybe this could be taken offline...

Just a thought...
:headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter