Are Resort CMs Getting Lazy? I felt like I was a freaking ghost for half of my trip!

We are here now...been here for 10 days and leaving tomorrow. We stayed one night at POR and the remainder at BC, club level. I have noticed most all of the castmembers we have encountered-at the resorts, parks, or restaurants-to be friendly and helpful.
I have also noticed a ridiculous amount of unsupervised, loud, badly behaved children everywhere. I have noticed guests YELLING at lifeguards at the pool. I have noticed a woman belittling a club castmember for not having sugar-free cookies at her disposal at 10:00pm. In short, I have noticed an abundance of rude, snarky guests with an extreme sense of entitlement and no sense of ownership for their own vacation enjoyment.
These castmembers come from all over the world, and deal with people from all over the world. I think they do their best to help each guest have a magical vacation.
So sorry your experience wasn't what you had hoped for. Maybe your next trip will be better :blush:

Thank you!!!! DH and I discuss this ALL the time - our neighbours at home have some sort of entitlement issue adn at WDW we notice the guests like them: "This is my vacation, and I"m going to have a good time, no matter who's vacation I ruin in the meantime"

This is one of the reasons we prefer to travel a few weeks after value season starts - the summer crowds wear out the CMs and in turn some are less than magical.

We stayed at AKL in April and I cannot express enough how amazing every single CM was while we were there. ONe saw us looking around and asked if we were lost, when we explained we'd just arrived and were just exploring, he gave us a grand tour - he showed us where to bring the kiddos if we wanted some craft time for them, or the trails, or food, pool etc. He didn't have to, but he did - he even made a point of stopping to chat while our children decided they HAD to stop and colour for 15 min.

Certainly there were CMs int he hallways who didn't greet us - but (to me) it seemed they were busy, but not 'on the job' so to speak. House-keeping was super friendly the one time we ran into one. And everyone else bent over backwards to be amazing.

Personally we can't see the over all value of DVC, but after that trip we certainly double checked the numbers a few times and our children declared they'll never stay anywhere else.

CM acknowledgement DOES make or break my vacation! If I receive poor acknowledgement from a CM at any hotel, it upsets me greatly.

Really? I must confess, unless a CM was downright rude, I wouldn't even notice if I got "poor acknowledgement". It would not "break" my vacation.

I wish there was more "slack" given to the original poster on these boards.
It was an observation being thought out through writing to get some feedback and closure at the same time. The continued coarseness of sociey has given people the right to respond in such a snarky way if that person didn't experience that same treatment. Chill out. Everyone has an opinion, and if that OPINION is expressed, it shouldn't be belittled. I'll give an example of snarky....."Anyone who has been going to Disney for more than the past seven years would have to have their head in the clouds if they did not see a decline in the overall treatment of guests by CM's." See? My reference to "head in the clouds" was not necessary....the other part was just MY observation and I did not need to add that insult to make my point.
Our last trip was filled with many examples of CM mediocrity which we had never experienced prior to this trip.
I agree with you and I have definitely noticed many bland CMs at the resorts lately. Sad:confused3.

If you look at the OP's trip, it comes out to just over 2 CMs a day didn't great them in the manner they would like. Two a day out of how many they must encounter on any given day? Twenty? Forty? That is a pretty low number not greeting the OP in the manner they expect. And while they may find it complaint worthy and taking note of, many of us don't.

Any time you fixate on the negative, then you will find it, and it will take over your vacation. Kind of sad that the OP had so many good CMs during their trip, and yet chose instead to focus on those they felt slighted them somehow by not saying Hi.

I agree with this. I'm sorry it bothered the OP so much she started a thread about it. But I'm really bothered at the thread title, asking if Disney CMs are lazy. Because a few of them didn't smile when she thought they should have.

Any time you fixate on the negative, then you will find it, and it will take over your vacation. Kind of sad that the OP had so many good CMs during their trip, and yet chose instead to focus on those they felt slighted them somehow by not saying Hi.

WE've had a trip or two where the negative/bad CMs far out weighed the good. And those CMs weren't even necessarily mean/rude to US, but just in general. It did sour the entire vacation. Part of it was b/c there was no exceptional CM who stood out that trip. There we're "Hellos" and smiles, there were "have a magical day's", but those are the givens that we should be getting from Disney. So when there were no special CMs during the stay but we kept seeing the negative it's easy to see the negative. THe thing is, we TRY to engage the CMs on trips. We try to start conversations where ever we go, at a gift shop, a snack cart, in line at a ride, at dinner. But that trip it just seemed no one was willing. We saw CMs flipping the bird to other CMs :scared1:, CMs who never smiled, CMs who brushed us off, CMs who were rude to others. BUt with all of that we saw CMs who we treated appallingly by guests. We saw 100x more guests being rude and mean to other guests and CMs than we saw CMs being mean or rude. Yes, in an ideal world being yelled at time and time again would not change how a CM treats the next person - but it does.

We saw a lot of negative that trip. We weren't looking for it, we were looking for magic, we were looking for happy. The problem was, we didn't find what we were looking for. All that was left was what we didn't want to see.

I must be crazy too because I can't believe someone is actually upset because they passed CM's in the halls and smiled and the CM didn't respond audibly. This is nuts. DH and I go to wdw at least once a year if not more and have stayed at lots of different resorts. We say hi to pretty much all CM's we pass. We're friendly. We've never had one be rude back or ignore us. If we did though, we would probably think "gee this person must be having a rough day". Not "wow this CM stinks at their job and is lazy". If you want a greeting give a greeting! Say HI! Geez! I must be off my rocker.

WE've had a trip or two where the negative/bad CMs far out weighed the good. And those CMs weren't even necessarily mean/rude to US, but just in general. It did sour the entire vacation. Part of it was b/c there was no exceptional CM who stood out that trip. There we're "Hellos" and smiles, there were "have a magical day's", but those are the givens that we should be getting from Disney. So when there were no special CMs during the stay but we kept seeing the negative it's easy to see the negative.

I think this adds to the problem. When guests are not even satisfied with someone doing a good job, but expect exceptional day in and day out, and are dissatisfied when they don't get it. Now doing your job is not good enough, you have to bend over backwards or someone thinks you are not up to snuff.:( I can't think of a single person who could be exceptional at their job all of the time.

Maybe people need to realize their expectations have gotten a bit out of hand. We all pay a lot of money to go to WDW and should get good service. But expecting exceptional service is a bit much. And don't forget is always when you run around looking for something like that that you don't find it. It is just like people who go around looking for Disney magic don't find it. If you run around judging the service you receive and are looking for exceptional service all of the time, you won't see it.

nadira36 said:
WE've had a trip or two where the negative/bad CMs far out weighed the good. And those CMs weren't even necessarily mean/rude to US, but just in general. It did sour the entire vacation. Part of it was b/c there was no exceptional CM who stood out that trip. There we're "Hellos" and smiles, there were "have a magical day's", but those are the givens that we should be getting from Disney. So when there were no special CMs during the stay but we kept seeing the negative it's easy to see the negative. THe thing is, we TRY to engage the CMs on trips. We try to start conversations where ever we go, at a gift shop, a snack cart, in line at a ride, at dinner. But that trip it just seemed no one was willing. We saw CMs flipping the bird to other CMs :scared1:, CMs who never smiled, CMs who brushed us off, CMs who were rude to others. BUt with all of that we saw CMs who we treated appallingly by guests. We saw 100x more guests being rude and mean to other guests and CMs than we saw CMs being mean or rude. Yes, in an ideal world being yelled at time and time again would not change how a CM treats the next person - but it does.

We saw a lot of negative that trip. We weren't looking for it, we were looking for magic, we were looking for happy. The problem was, we didn't find what we were looking for. All that was left was what we didn't want to see.

All tnat you have mentioned is mostly perception....not reality.

CM acknowledgement DOES make or break my vacation! If I receive poor acknowledgement from a CM at any hotel, it upsets me greatly. I feel "unwelcome" and not valued as a customer. I rate a hotel based on the respect of ALL staff.....whether I am at a Comfort Inn or a Disney Resort. 90% of our hotel stays are upscale, with high end rooms, always club level if available/offered. We do stay at Hampton Inns, Comfort Inns when that is really all that is available in the area, and the customer service matters to us. I will overlook many issues, IF I am acknowledged by staff with a simple "hello, good morning or smile" when passed in the hall, or entering/leaving the lobby. I think THAT says a lot about the overall happiness/morale of the organization. So I completely agree with the OP.

too many WDW trips to mention, 2007 Wonder Concierge, January 2013 Wonder Concierge, WDW AKL Concierge Nov 2013, March 2014 Walter E. Disney Suite (finally!!!!)

As do I. And I have given up on certain hotels where the employees are less than friendly. However, I wouldn't say those people were lazy. Just not what I wanted/needed. But - those employees were just that - employees. Not Cast Members. From my experience (which is staying at a hotel at least once a month), if one employee is not friendly, the rest will follow. With Disney World, I might get a grumpy Cast Member but everyone else is fine.

So I think the point here is not every single Cast Member the OP encountered was a grumpy old soul. Just a few didn't smile at the OP. I can honestly tell you when I get back to my Disney resort after a long day at a park, I certainly don't want to smile and be friendly to a Cast Member - I want to get the heck to my room, take off my shoes and have a glass of wine.

I wonder how many Cast Members go home and tell their partners, "I smiled at this guest and she didn't smile back so that ruined my day".

Not to add fuel to the fire..but I simply don't understand society's ever growing entitlement. Unfortunately I work in an industry where the more money people spend the more they think they are more "special".

Truth is , you aren't. What you are entitled to like everyone is a professional environment and courtesy of respect. Anything more is a bonus. Some people are more naturally outgoing than others. All types of individuals make up job positions. Some are extroverts. Some are introverts. Some have anxiety concerns. We all in the end have to make a living and just because someone isn't fawning all over you in no way dictates being "lazy".

I worked in a large chain hotel for some time and admittedly I was VERY naive about how easy things are working for this industry. It was an eye opening experience and I have no doubt Disney properties are no exception..if anything I can see it being even MORE stressful because people have come to expect perfection in the "bubble".

I just ask of you..and all of us..we are ALL human. Not one of us can say we have always been perfect , always had a smile on our face or never had a bad day. I'm sorry that something so miniscule has caused anyone such displeasure..when they are there trying to perform their job so that you can continue to enjoy your vacation.

I think if we all could be a little more understanding and a little less about "me me me" we could learn alot about those around us and find less to complain about.

I think this adds to the problem. When guests are not even satisfied with someone doing a good job, but expect exceptional day in and day out, and are dissatisfied when they don't get it. Now doing your job is not good enough, you have to bend over backwards or someone thinks you are not up to snuff.:( I can't think of a single person who could be exceptional at their job all of the time.

Maybe people need to realize their expectations have gotten a bit out of hand. We all pay a lot of money to go to WDW and should get good service. But expecting exceptional service is a bit much. And don't forget is always when you run around looking for something like that that you don't find it. It is just like people who go around looking for Disney magic don't find it. If you run around judging the service you receive and are looking for exceptional service all of the time, you won't see it.

A CM who does not take the time to talk to a guest when the guest is talking to them, is not doing their job. And certainly not a good job. Sure they may be selling toys, ringing up the cash register, but that is not the full scope of their job.

What I'm saying is a person doesn't notice little things like that at Disney when there ARE so many exceptional CMs who fully play the part - no need for any 1 to be awesome all the time. The point is that there IS someone being exceptional most of the time. BUt when you don't even get 'par' service then the 'bad' service sticks out. When you get exceptional service, the bad isn't even a blip. KWIM?

In my previous example I mentioned a CM flipping the bird - that is a problem - but it's a problem that disappears quickly when someone else picks up the slack. When no one else picks up the slack, then all those little things add up.

Others in this thread have asked the OP "did you try talking to the CMs, or just expect them to talk to you?" - WE talk to the CMs - we ask about them, we talk about DIsney, we aren't looking for exceptional, but we do enjoy chatting and from that we usually come across exceptional - or at least memorable in a very positive way. BUt when you notice a CMs hometown (or something else) and try to strike up a conversation and they don't respond, that's not doing their job. But it's easy to shrug off when the majority of CMs the majority of the time DO do their job and excel at it.

When you get the bare bones minimum that a CM is required to do in order to keep their job AND also get several negative encounters - it is easy for things to be more negative than they actually are. It IS perception - and that is my point.

Having been to Disney on roughly 14 family trips with my FOO and now MY family, as well as enough single day trips to make it well over 100 visits, and having worked at MK for a summer, I can safely say I love Disney. But I expect the CMs to play the part, and if in an entire (week+) trip there isn't even 1 CM who really plays the part, there is a problem. Part of the job description is going out of your way to create magic.

I think if we all could be a little more understanding and a little less about "me me me" we could learn alot about those around us and find less to complain about.

This is so true. I flew out of SFO Saturday night on one of the few flights that wasn't cancelled. To say the airport was chaotic is a gross understatement. I'm not going to bother with details, because this is off-topic enough as it is. But the facts that a plane crashed and people died at the airport not eight hours earlier completely escaped a good number of folks.

nadira36, I understand what you're getting at. And I'd be appalled if I saw a CM flip someone the bird.

For what it's worth, I was a resort CM from 08-10. We were trained to acknowledge every single guest we passed in the hallway, by the pool, or in any common area. I highly doubt that training has changed, so you may have run into some grumpy CMs :(

How does expecting a CM to acknowledge you leap to entitlement? I posted earlier that the CMs sitting at the entry to the Hawaii bldg. not acknowledging me upon entering and leaving did sour the overall impression of Poly club level. Ruin? No. But, it was noticeable.

Disney does market friendliness and they have built an empire around this premise. So, when an individual encounters it on a consistent (daily) level the OP wanted to comment on it.

To the pp who mentioned that this problem is miniscule, I agree. So, it should not take too much effort on the employees part to do it.

It has been mentioned before that Traditions training has been scaled back

To the pp who mentioned that this problem is miniscule, I agree. So, it should not take too much effort on the employees part to do it.

Agreed. But it also shouldn't be a huge deal if 2 CMs a day out of the many you encounter don't verbally acknowledge you.

Agreed. But it also shouldn't be a huge deal if 2 CMs a day out of the many you encounter don't verbally acknowledge you.

Shouldn't the "Happiest Place on Earth" have Happy CM's? LoL Apparently OP and millions of others buy into this notion and when it is less than expected I think its natural to be disappointed.

Believe me I get that in everyday life there are stressors and especially in the workplace. But, when your job is dealing with thousands of guests a day at the "Happiest Place on Earth", I think it is important for CMs to acknowledge guests. It is such a small gesture that would make a guest feel welcome that I can't believe a bad day would prevent them from doing it.

I'm more apt to belive that they just are not that friendly or outgoing in the first place. I'm not saying every single CM you come in contact with but if the OP was referring to crossing paths with a CM in a hallway and eye contact is made, then yes the CM should acknowledge that person.

I haven't read the original post for a while, but I don't remember this issue ruining the OP's vacation. This is a person's personal experience and I'm always interested in reading the good, bad and the ugly.

I'm more apt to belive that they just are not that friendly or outgoing in the first place. I'm not saying every single CM you come in contact with but if the OP was referring to crossing paths with a CM in a hallway and eye contact is made, then yes the CM should acknowledge that person.

I haven't read the original post for a while, but I don't remember this issue ruining the OP's vacation. This is a person's personal experience and I'm always interested in reading the good, bad and the ugly.

I bet Disney is smart enough not to hire a bunch of Gloomy
Guses. However people can have a bad day, and out of the bunch of CMs we run into on a daily basis it isn't that hard to believe that 2 are having bad days. And while most people can usually hide it, some days they don't.

And if you (in general) let that upset you to the point that you consider them lazy and then decide to count how many people ignore you, then I'm not surprised it has a negative impact on your vacation. Deciding to count is deciding to focus on the bad instead of the good. So while the CMs were not doing the best job, deciding to focus on that fact, instead of trying to enjoy the vacation, is what made the OP feel like a ghost. I don't know how anyone could have a great vacation if they run counting the times they feel ignored.

Make a conscience decision to find the bad in your vacation, and you will. That is not a surprise.

maxiesmom said:
I bet Disney is smart enough not to hire a bunch of Gloomy
Guses. However people can have a bad day, and out of the bunch of CMs we run into on a daily basis it isn't that hard to believe that 2 are having bad days. And while most people can usually hide it, some days they don't.

And if you (in general) let that upset you to the point that you consider them lazy and then decide to count how many people ignore you, then I'm not surprised it has a negative impact on your vacation. Deciding to count is deciding to focus on the bad instead of the good. So while the CMs were not doing the best job, deciding to focus on that fact, instead of trying to enjoy the vacation, is what made the OP feel like a ghost. I don't know how anyone could have a great vacation if they run counting the times they feel ignored.

Make a conscience decision to find the bad in your vacation, and you will. That is not a surprise.

I have the same response to the post above yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter