Are Party Favors Necessary?

MouseEarsJenny

DIS Veteran
Not in general, but in specific - my daughter's sweet sixteen is in two weeks. She was given the option of the big party with everyone she knows invited, or a smaller party of just friends at a cooler location. She opted to invite six friends to go with her to Great Wolf Lodge for a slumber party and to use the indoor waterpark.

We are planning to decorate the suite, although the decorations will be necessarily low-key due to the fact that it's a hotel room. We are setting up a small candy buffet, but with 7 teenaged girls staying overnight, we're not expecting that any of the candy will make it home in favor bags or boxes - it's intended to be eaten as they watch movies or whatever once the waterpark closes.

We are covering the cost of the suite, all their meals for a nearly 24 hour period, and in some cases the trip to the lodge (including renting a car to have room for all of them). Do you think guests or their parents will be annoyed at the lack of favors? If we provide favors, what should we give? If your child were invited to this party, would you find it weird if no favors were given?

Thanks!

I have a ds17 and dd14. By this age, they wouldn't expect party favors. They might event think it was weird if they got them.

IMO at that age favors are not necessary. They are getting a great day out with loads of fun that is enough. Did the same for DD when she turned 18 and I didn't have any favors.

I always thuoght of favors as more of a little kid thing. We didn't do them past age 10 or so. So no, I wouldn't think twice about no favors. What would you even give?

Thanks! I can't believe it didn't occur to me until I read these replies that Kai hasn't GOTTEN a favor from a party in years. We only give her parties every two years, and her 14 party was cancelled due to a major snowstorm, so we haven't thrown her a birthday party in four years - at twelve, we still did favors. But that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reassurance! Back to finding purple candy...

The trip to the lodge, meals, and stuff is plenty. Is there a teen room? I know at the Grand Mound GWL there is a Gr8Space teen room. Last time I took my boys (DS and 2 of my "kids from anotha motha") they had a blast in the teen room. It is not inexpensive though - especially when you add up the amount of kids you are taking.

My boys hung out in the Gr8Space until it closed and then hung out in the lobby with people they met in Gr8Space (other teens) until the wee morning hours. I want to say they made it back to the room around 3am or so. Just talking and hanging out.

Goodie bags are not necessary. Maybe $5/girl extra if you want to make sure they can play in the arcade. We did a $10/day limit on our boys for the arcade.

Party favors are not necessary - but if you bring your camera, you might want to take some pictures of her with her friends, and then give each girl a print after the party :) Edited: you could even put the photo in a cheap frame (Christmas Tree Shop or something) to give after the party.

Great idea for a party, by the way! Sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun!!

We reserved a section of Cali Grill for the dinning part of our daughters. We handed out these crystal slippers to all involved.
IMG_1592.jpg

Sounds like a wonderful BD celebration for your lucky DD.....:bday: Sweet 16th to her!! :cake:

Honestly, with such a special week-end celebration planned w/friends at lodge, don't think teens that age (nor parents) are going to care about a goodie bag ;)! I agree, they'll have plenty of cool souvie pics amongst them :). We've done a family wkend at GWL w/grands (ages 2-20) and it was totally awesome!!:goodvibes

Art, that slipper is so sweet!! :thumbsup2
Had BD luncheon at CRT and had Cindy's cake slippers made for our 3 adult DD's on our family trip...they were a big hit!! :lovestruc

Heavens no. Especially not at that age.

And I'm going to go further and suggest we stop it with the favors for ALL ages. My kids don't care about them and as a parent I'm going to throw them away as soon as my kid isn't looking. The last thing I need is more dollar store junk at my house. Neither of my kids have ever commented about not recieving a party favor. Save your money.

Dd16 only gets favors from the formal sweet 16 parties (held at wedding venues). My favorite was a shot glass. :scared:

We did goody bags for DD's Sweet 16. We were going to Awesome 80's Prom in NYC so I did neon tshirts and bracelets, 80's type candy, glow sticks.... the girls loved it. Would they have been disappointed without it? No, but I had a good time putting everything together and they did enjoy them.

It's probably a regional thing.

Around here, there are favors at most parties, and at just about all the Sweet 16s.

Does Great Wolf Lodge sell Beach Towels? They might be a fun way of remembering the trip. Or pick up some frames, and get a picture of each of the girls to include.

At 16? No way. Especially considering the cost of the water park.

Dd just turned 11 and I felt goodie bags (full of junk) were not necessary. DD did end up making each girl (11 of them) a sled made from candy canes and chocolates. It was an idea I saw on Pinterest. The girls loved them.

About th eonly thing I might have is bags in case the girl wanted to try and take some candy home. ;)

done goodie bags as I hate all the junk. We always just do one small item. I would probably do an inexpensive beach towel, or cute mugs.. they can have hot chocolate with their candy. :)

They might have fun with plain pillowcases and fabric markers too that they can decorate at night.

I don't think goody bags are necessary at all! You are providing them with an awesome experience!

My kids stopped getting party favors when they hit middle school. And by that age they didn't care. I would actually be SURPRISED if my DD was a guest and DID receive a party favor.

So heck no! The party is way more than enough.

I hate hate hate "goody bags" Nothing but junk. If you feel you need to do something. At this age it might be cool to buy cheap T-shirt ($4 at Michaels I think) and fabric paints and let them make a T-shirt that is also their party favor.

Another option, although I don't think the favors are necessary, would be to take a lot of photos and do inexpensive photobooks. Or a group photo in an inexpensive frame. But really I don't think they are needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter