Are DVC folks still using the TIW cards? I see they are 150 now..

The quick service discount on our hotel qs is huge though! Will save us a ton.
They waited for us to return from a week at BCV keeping the marketplace in business before throwing that discount in there. Yet another [censored] from Disney to me.

Can anyone clarify how the length of the TiW is determined? Every time I have purchased in the past they were typically good for about another month, yielding 13 months. I now see some in this thread saying they received an expiration date exactly one year from their purchase date. We typically are at WDW once/year (using more points at Aulani these days) and go the weekend before Thanksgiving to the weekend after Thanksgiving. The 13 months length allows us to use the TiW card for two trips. If issued for exactly 365 days, that would limit to ONE trip--a big difference in how the math on the purchase works out.

Any clarification? If the CM issues the card at 365, can I whine and complain, or just plain sulk, to get them to extend?

My last TiW expired 9/30. I waited until 10/1 to renew hoping for the extra month. Indeed my expiration is 11/30.
I renewed at Epcot GS.

MG

I'm still debating whether to buy TIW for our trip in May. It will be me, DH and another couple for 7 nights. We will do TS every night, and probably QS for breakfast/lunches. I'm not opposed to eating in our villa & cooking, but my DH and this other couple really like dining out (it IS vacation, after all). With that said, we usually get appetizers, not necessarily dessert (although occasionally). But we also always order drinks. Sometimes more than one each(or more, hehe). So, am I calculating correctly that in a week's time the break-even point would be if we spent $750? I figured $150/20%=$750. I know that's a simplified calculation, but I think that even for one trip it would definitely be worth it for us. Plus, my DH and friend drink throughout the day here and there, so adding in the alcohol consumption I'm thinking it would pay off, right? There are many restaurants included, as well as QS. Am I missing something?

We have used this card for the last 10 years, especially for the valet. I still don't see how $750 breaks even.
$750x20%= $150 alright, but you pay 18% when you pay $750. Or $750x18% = $135, for a savings of $15.
So where is this pay off at $750?

Moe

We have used this card for the last 10 years, especially for the valet. I still don't see how $750 breaks even.
$750x20%= $150 alright, but you pay 18% when you pay $750. Or $750x18% = $135, for a savings of $15.

Moe
Huh?
Figure the $750 before tip.

MG

Can anyone clarify how the length of the TiW is determined? Every time I have purchased in the past they were typically good for about another month, yielding 13 months. I now see some in this thread saying they received an expiration date exactly one year from their purchase date. We typically are at WDW once/year (using more points at Aulani these days) and go the weekend before Thanksgiving to the weekend after Thanksgiving. The 13 months length allows us to use the TiW card for two trips. If issued for exactly 365 days, that would limit to ONE trip--a big difference in how the math on the purchase works out.

Any clarification? If the CM issues the card at 365, can I whine and complain, or just plain sulk, to get them to extend?

That is a VERY FUNDAMENTAL QUESTION. THANK you for asking it :).

Most of us buy TIW due to timed, repeated trips. With CARE - you can get three trips out of one card. Or more.

Rule #1 - NEVER buy a TIW in the TAIL END of a month.
Rule #2 - DO buy a TIW about the 3rd day of the month PRIOR to the month you plan to visit.

Those two rules will allow you to extend TIW to three trips, assuming you visit twice per year, generally in the same months. That pattern is VERY common with DVC folks, and AP folks.

Example: You visit twice per year, April and November.....

Buy TIW MARCH 3, or OCT 3. Card will be valid through APRIL NEXT YEAR, or NOVEMBER NEXT YEAR. With timed visits, your cost will be $50 per trip.

For reference: TIW is MORE than willing to TELL you all of this. Hit their website at:
http://tablesinwonderland.com/

They are VERY good at explaining the timing of a TIW purchase to fit YOUR needs.

Between my wife and I, we spend thousands every year on booze at WDW.

It's a clear win for us.

MG

Haha...Laffin @ Thousands...----> LIGHTWEIGHT...:rotfl2::drinking1

J/K of course.....It seems you'll make your money back on 1 day @ EPCOT..LoL

I'm not including the tip. If we had the DDP, we would add at least a 20% tip. If they add 18% automatically before discount, they' re saving me from having to do the math (not that it's difficult). So, I'm figuring food & drinks we'll break even @ $750 before tips, which we would definitely exceed.

I'm not including the tip. If we had the DDP, we would add at least a 20% tip. If they add 18% automatically before discount, they' re saving me from having to do the math (not that it's difficult). So, I'm figuring food & drinks we'll break even @ $750 before tips, which we would definitely exceed.

Ah so because you will be paying 18-20% anyway, its break even at the $750. I get that, thanks all.

M

Your reasoning is 100% correct.

MG

We use it. We like to eat table service. Even just the two of us, with about four visits a year it still has value to us.

That is a VERY FUNDAMENTAL QUESTION. THANK you for asking it :).

Most of us buy TIW due to timed, repeated trips. With CARE - you can get three trips out of one card. Or more.

Rule #1 - NEVER buy a TIW in the TAIL END of a month.
Rule #2 - DO buy a TIW about the 3rd day of the month PRIOR to the month you plan to visit.

Those two rules will allow you to extend TIW to three trips, assuming you visit twice per year, generally in the same months. That pattern is VERY common with DVC folks, and AP folks.

Example: You visit twice per year, April and November.....

Buy TIW MARCH 3, or OCT 3. Card will be valid through APRIL NEXT YEAR, or NOVEMBER NEXT YEAR. With timed visits, your cost will be $50 per trip.

For reference: TIW is MORE than willing to TELL you all of this. Hit their website at:
http://tablesinwonderland.com/

They are VERY good at explaining the timing of a TIW purchase to fit YOUR needs.

From the TiW website:
  • Tables in Wonderland is valid for one year from date of purchase.
My questions still stands: why have some members had the card issued for exactly one year from date of purchase, while other get the "13 month" extension?...and is there any trick to insuring that you get the longer expiration date?

In all fairness, we live 20 minutes away so at times we just hit WDW for the bars.

MG

Agh..This definetely comes in Handy....

It's not as handy as you think because you are forced to tip 18% on a bar tab which cuts into your savings. For instance, two beer at Rose and Crown cost $18. I would normally leave a $1-$2 tip for someone to pull me a couple beers while if you use the TIW card you'll pay $3.24 in a tip for your 2 beers. I would pay $20 for two beers including tip and you would pay $17.64 including tip. Yes, you still get a discount but it's more like 12% than 20% once you add the 18% tip into the calculation. When we had the TIW card we considered the bar savings to be gravy.

It's not as handy as you think because you are forced to tip 18% on a bar tab which cuts into your savings. For instance, two beer at Rose and Crown cost $18. I would normally leave a $1-$2 tip for someone to pull me a couple beers while if you use the TIW card you'll pay $3.24 in a tip for your 2 beers. I would pay $20 for two beers including tip and you would pay $17.64 including tip. Yes, you still get a discount but it's more like 12% than 20% once you add the 18% tip into the calculation. When we had the TIW card we considered the bar savings to be gravy.
I generally tip 20+ %. I like to keep my bartenders happy!!

BTW, we often hit House of Blues for drinks, and the do not add the 18%.

MG

My questions still stands: why have some members had the card issued for exactly one year from date of purchase, while other get the "13 month" extension?...and is there any trick to insuring that you get the longer expiration date?
Because one rogue CM is taking matters into their own hands and changing the system-produced expiration date.

Either way It's a savings....No matter how you slice it...:confused3 When down in Disney, It's amazing what people will & won't do...I'm not saying you in general but, all in all after spending thousands of dollars on your vacation, we all come down to trying to cut corners or pinch and save for a few measley bucks... It is actually a lil comical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter