Are Disney prices too high?

Maybe not, but the parks are sufficiently crowded. One might be able to argue that with price increases, Disney has been successful in managing the size of the crowds to a reasonable level.

Given the choice, everyone would love to pay less money. But do I really want to stand in elbow-to-elbow throngs of people and endure even longer wait times? Would the money I save really be worth the pain? How much do people want Disney to reduce their prices? Enough so that 10% more people will go? 30% more?

Gate prices could sufficiently take care of this problem without the subsequent $50.00 charge for a buffet or the $10.00 turkey leg, or shady goings on with the discounts, or the cc guarantee nonsense etc...

It's still flights that are the killer for us.

Currently the cheapest direct flight to MCO we can get is coming in just over $4K for 2 adults, in economy. That's more than the cost of accommodation at CSR for 14 nights with free QSDP, 14 day tickets, memory maker and a $200 gift card. Ridiculous.

It's still flights that are the killer for us.

Currently the cheapest direct flight to MCO we can get is coming in just over $4K for 2 adults, in economy. That's more than the cost of accommodation at CSR for 14 nights with free QSDP, 14 day tickets, memory maker and a $200 gift card. Ridiculous.

Flights would kill us too. We are a family of 7, we never fly anywhere, it's just not feasible. So instead we make sure we go places where we can drive. Our summer vacation this year took us all over the us. We logged 5,500 miles on our trip. It's unfortunate that airfare is so expensive because that means our trips are limited to the continental US. It would be nice if we could travel overseas with our children but that's not the reality. I'm not sure that's anyone's fault, no one is gouging, it is just what it is.

Flights would kill us too. We are a family of 7, we never fly anywhere, it's just not feasible. So instead we make sure we go places where we can drive. Our summer vacation this year took us all over the us. We logged 5,500 miles on our trip. It's unfortunate that airfare is so expensive because that means our trips are limited to the continental US. It would be nice if we could travel overseas with our children but that's not the reality. I'm not sure that's anyone's fault, no one is gouging, it is just what it is.

To be honest, I think British Airways and Virgin do gouge a bit. The same flight costs less than half during school term time.

I wish DLP was a better choice for us as travel would be much cheaper with flights/Eurostar/driving all being an option, but comparatively they don't seem to have much to offer compared to WDW.

To be honest, I think British Airways and Virgin do gouge a bit. The same flight costs less than half during school term time.

I wish DLP was a better choice for us as travel would be much cheaper with flights/Eurostar/driving all being an option, but comparatively they don't seem to have much to offer compared to WDW.

Yea I agree, DLP is awful.

Price gouging happens because it is a factor of the market. When the market will no longer pay the prices, the prices go down. You can see this with Disney merchandise that is moved to outlets stores after not selling in the parks. You can see this in the numerous threads where members are "downsizing" their vacations, going less frequently, waiting for new attractions before booking etc.

I have been guilty of purchasing a "Pirates of the Caribbean" sweatshirt just because I was cold (not the girly one about Jack Sparrow but the guy one with "Dead Men Tell No Tales"). However, I don't buy the merchandise normally. I don't buy water or soda. I choose few snacks. I do most of my adult beverages using alcohol I bring with me and refillable mug mixers. I also chose to stay at a Value Resort instead of my favorite Beach Club when the price got out of reach.

The more people who economize, the lower the prices will get. However, due to crowds, there is now a huge market for the "upcharge" event or experience. Disney knows what it is doing. The general guest? Not so much.

Sites like this can do a great service for economy minded guests. We can help people find a spot to watch the parade without paying an upcharge. We can recommend fireworks watching areas. We can suggest good counter service restaurants. We can steer guests to less expensive options for Disney branded shirts (got the cutest Frozen tank from Hot Topic with free shipping...Anna liked it).

When the market changes from the novice Disney traveler to the informed Disney traveler because they feel they are being priced out, then prices will change. Unless WDW sees a decrease in guests, guest satisfaction, re-bookings etc...price increases will continue to exceed inflation.
Well thought out post.
It seems to me the more Disney applies the heat on prices to find the breaking point, the more we should discuss it.

It seems counterproductive as consumers to just "take it" or even applaud the strategy.

Well thought out post.
It seems to me the more Disney applies the heat on prices to find the breaking point, the more we should discuss it.

It seems counterproductive as consumers to just "take it" or even applaud the strategy.

That is entirely my concern as well! What further disappoints me, is how so many take it with a smile and indifference, then take issue with those that speak out about it. As long as those people exist (and they always will..), Disney will continue to push the market limits and continue raising prices at several times the rate of inflation.

Oswalt the rabbit was by contract owned by the theater owner as soon as he showed them....a fancy contract legally stole Oswald from Walt which is why Disney is so protective of there character properties.

When Disney Inc started buying land they used 5 or 6 fake companies to keep the prices from soaring to $2500 a acre. Disney owned the fake companies.

Btw....Disney recently bought Oswald back.

AKK
Thank you, I knew there was something about this with the tour.

I do not feel mine was disrespectful either. It was simply more on the snarky side.

You are correct, they do have a bearing but my point was contextually different than how it came out in my post. I do not feel that any other park is even remotely on par with Disney. The others ride on the coat tails of WDW and the overall experience is different. In other words, there is no comparison to be made.

Disney does their best to find the bottom of every pocket and purse that walks through the door. They're not alone but in the past, at least the quality of what you received for your money was something worth paying for.

That in my opinion is no longer the way it is.

Now we're having a proper discussion. (Not that I mind a good snark, but intelligent discourse wins every time.) 8-)

I completely agree that WDW is on a level that no one else has reached (although Universal is getting there).

Just so you don't think I'm a Pollyanna Disney shill, there are many things that Disney has done the past few years that I find upsetting.

- The "extra" experiences (dessert parties, etc.), for which they charge outrageous prices. The newest one, the Ferrytale Dessert Party, wow. $100 to ride a FERRY and eat some desserts with 150 others?? $100!!??? One would have to drink enough of the mediocre wine to forget how much one paid...

- Closing attractions that could easily be moved (& even improved) elsewhere. I'm specifically thinking of Animation Academy, and fearing that the rumors are true that One Man's Dream will be added to this list. Osborne Lights would be tougher to relocate, and I don't think that will happen, but that's another.

- The biggest one, in my mind - the gutting of live entertainment. I remember on our first family trip, in 1997, enjoying the bellhops before Fantasmic!, Matt the Juggler before the Hunchback Show, Four for a Dollar before Beauty and the Beast, and other preshows that were almost as good as the main entertainment. Those are long gone, but more recently, firing MoRockin, Fife and Drum, World Showcase Players, and the men, the legends -- Off Kilter. To hear last week that Mulch, Sweat, and Shears are going, too? This breaks my heart. These people CONNECTED with guests, they didn't just perform.

Will I still keep coming to Disney in spite of these? Well, yes, but part of that is that I get paid to do so -- I'm a tour director for high school bands and choirs. Will I keep taking trips with my family? We have one planned for December, the first in 6 years. Who knows when the next would be. Last December we did three days at Universal and had a fantastic time. But we wanted to come back to Disney this year, to allow my DH and DD (or whatever other acronyms you would like me to use) to see some of the new things since their last visit.

Do I have hope for the future at Disney? Yes, somewhat guarded, but yes. To me, here are the things that Disney does better than anyone else:

- Night time shows - No one else comes close. Wishes, Fantasmic!, Celebrate the Magic, and Illuminations are such immersive experiences. If you are not familiar, check out YouTube for DLR's Paint the Night, World of Color, and Disneyland Forever, not to mention the superior Fantasmic! there.

- CMs - this is apparently a mixed bag, because I have seen many complaints lately about CMs going through the motions. I personally haven't experienced that, so to me this is still a positive. I find CMs to be engaged and dedicated to providing the best experience for park guests.

- Food -- okay, hear me out. I rarely do table service meals. When I am there with groups, we usually either have meal vouchers or dining cards worth about $15 per meal. So unless I want to pay out of pocket, table service is out. So I can't comment on others' observations that TS meal quality has gone down. Even if I did have the budget for it, I don't really want to take the time from park touring that TS meals demand. So my comment is about QS food. Is it all good? Oh, definitely not. I don't think there's a decent QS burger on property. But there ARE many choices, much more than any other theme park, and I've been often enough that I know where to find varied and tasty meals that don't break the bank. Flame Tree BBQ in AK, Sunshine Seasons in Epcot, CHH in MK, and more.

- Not everyone will relate to this one, but the Disney Performing Arts folks do an OUTSTANDING job with visiting student groups. Not just parades, there are other live performances, plus workshops for concert bands, dance groups, string orchestras, jazz bands, choirs, and others. Last spring I even brought a handbell choir and a musical theater group. I've brought groups to non-Disney parks, and no one even comes close to the experience DPA provides.

I am also anticipating many of the new adds over the next few (okay, maybe more than a "few") years.

- Even disregarding whether you think Avatarland is a good idea, AK is becoming a gem. The two best musical shows on property, beautiful design both overall and in the details, and another night time show to be added soon.

- Although I may be old and gray (okay, older and grayer) before they are finished, Star Wars and Toy Story areas at DHS hold a great deal of promise.

Thank you to the OP who started the thread. Even when we disagree on semantics or details, the discussion is fascinating.

Last edited:

While I haven't been to DLP it kind of reminds growing up in California with DLR prior to California Adventure, it was more of a day trip than a vacation. WDW is certainly a vacation destination, it's too bad about the airline pricing though.

yes,they are very high. But they tend to be on par with,say big City pricing for most things.....so for someone like me, it's cheaper to buy dinner at Disney than in NYC (average) but for someone from say,a small midwestern town, it can be a horrible shock. That said, I am cheap,and I find bargains whether in Disney or NYC... but it is pricey. There are a lot of things we DON'T buy at Disney just b/c of the price. my DH will NOT buy a beer on property on principle.:magnify: He will go off property if he wants one,it's just one of his things.

It's a tourist attraction with prices that reflect that.
Agreed. We have visited many tourist places over the years...and not one of them had great bargains on food or hotels...in fact we just came back from a tour of Utah Natl. Parks.....oh my the hotel prices near those are HIGH.(hurray for campgrounds,not Disney one tho:rotfl2:)

FWIW, Universal down the street is very similiar in pricing now...why? b/c they have watched the Disney model,and see that it works,and people pay it! (they actually have better hotel deals,to fill their rooms, but that too will change over time)

Applying a discount does not equal cutting prices.
Huh? A discount = a lower price = less profit than if they had sold the item at full price. so yes, it does equal lowering prices.

Yes, it equals a lower price. It doesn't matter what the discount is called.

Cutting hours lowers costs on Disney's side. What I was questioning was (different from point one above) the idea that Disney always offers guests the same product. The product Disney offers is variable.

You don't think a discussion of how expensive things are at a vacation destination is appropriate for planning? It is one of the most important topics when reviewing restaurants, hotels and attractions on sites like Tripadvisor. How much did it cost?, was the value there? Are there an appropriate amount of attractions for the ticket cost? How many rides can you get in per day? Is the buffet food worth the $50.00 charge? Turkey Legs are how much? $10.00 for a poncho.

Spot on.

Plus it has lead to many saving suggestions. A lot of folks don't know you can rent DVC points as brought up, and buying it. Saying Deluxes are $285 to $600 may be true, but renting DVC is closer to $150 at least for some. These can be time saving locations to some parks, not having to wait for a bus.

Same with 1/2 day parks. Why spend $100 there-when you can hop there and spread $50 over your stay. Or get the discounted longer stay passes so it's not that expensive to visit those parks.

WDW has 4 parks, but is often compared to US/IOA and DL/DCA.

But I prefer 4 parks even if they have fewer attractions. If MK had AK (Land) connected to it, and EPCOT had DHS (Land) connected to it becoming 2 parks like the others-that discussion would end. But I like how 4 can expand further and spread crowds further forcing guests to choose locations, and the entire change of theming/scenery. This also allows for 4 night shows, which really spreads the crowds out as well.

HP could have been its own park. But now we applaud US for adding so many attractions INSIDE the 2 existing parks. But if they had made a 3rd park (like WDW did with DHS) things would be looking a little thin over there as well. But I would still prefer 3 parks, because they would offer some sort of ticket that covers those parks at a discount.

Does FP+ help 1/2 day parks? I think it does because you can open another park without FP+ and get most headliners done, then do secondary rides/shows and still have FP+ for the evening park.

DVC AP is another one on here. For those going one week each year, just go one week earlier the next year and 2 trips are covered for $250 each including hopping. In affect, and AP is then $250 per year.

There is a fine line between a lot of us pointing out there are a lot of options WDW provides to save money, and saying WDW is not expensive. Counter arguments to ineffective touring styles, and some of the more expensive things (many just learning to say no) is actually just being informative to help folks with decisions.

yes,they are very high. But they tend to be on par with,say big City pricing for most things.....so for someone like me, it's cheaper to buy dinner at Disney than in NYC (average) but for someone from say,a small midwestern town, it can be a horrible shock. That said, I am cheap,and I find bargains whether in Disney or NYC... but it is pricey. There are a lot of things we DON'T buy at Disney just b/c of the price. my DH will NOT buy a beer on property on principle.:magnify: He will go off property if he wants one,it's just one of his things.

Interesting. I've seen this said before as well and I'm glad you brought it up! Yes, some of the food pricing is lower than in Manhattan. Yet the most expensive dish at Burrito Loco at 166 4th Street NYC is cheaper than the average serving at San Angel Inn at EPCOT. The made at your table guacamole at Burrito Loco itself is more delicious than anything on the menu at the Disney restaurant. How about the California Grill, their prices are very close to those of better steak houses in the city. I have no aversion to paying top dollar for any product but I have been to California Grill and it isn't remotely close to the quality of steak at Frankie and Johnnies on West 45th Street.

I am from the midwest but moved to the east coast a while ago. So I see both sides of the pricing paradigm. Again, I have no problem paying a premium for a premium product. Not only is Disney raising prices however, they are also cutting corners on quality and that is where I take most issue!

As for going "off property", we own a vacation home near the parks. We still stay on site however. In fact, we just stayed at the Polynesian two weeks ago! We got a great deal on the room but we too, will generally not pay the crazy high prices for food and drinks while on property.

So that being said, I wonder what is the better business model. The Walmart approach where profit margins are lower but they sell "way" more product or the Disney approach, where they sell less product with a higher profit per item. And for anyone who would take issue with my Walmart example, people of good means still seek bargains. Costco comes to mind immediately. Costco offers products in bulk for a cheaper price per unit than the average retailer. As they are a company on the rise it is clear they have "happy customers". Sure Disney can get away with charging what they do. But how many people walk away feeling they got a good value for their money?

hsmamato2: The second half of this response is speaking generally to the topic, not necessarily to your post specifically! I hope you don't mind!

So that being said, I wonder what is the better business model. The Walmart approach where profit margins are lower but they sell "way" more product or the Disney approach, where they sell less product with a higher profit per item. And for anyone who would take issue with my Walmart example, people of good means still seek bargains. Costco comes to mind immediately. Costco offers products in bulk for a cheaper price per unit than the average retailer. As they are a company on the rise it is clear they have "happy customers". Sure Disney can get away with charging what they do. But how many people walk away feeling they got a good value for their money?

Why does it have to be either or? Disney has premium products, like the parks, while also having low margin high volume products, which are often sold in Walmart.

Disney, as a company, has a wide range of businesses and business models. For the large number of people who will never make it to a Disney park there are plenty of low-cost alternatives to still consume Disney from television shows to movies (after they leave the theater) to toys you can get at the Dollar Store.

Diversification is a better business model then choosing one anyway unless you are positioning yourself as an aspirational brand. It can be argued that the Parks division of Disney is positioned aspirationally but that isn't true of the entire company.

But I prefer 4 parks even if they have fewer attractions.

HP could have been its own park. But now we applaud US for adding so many attractions INSIDE the 2 existing parks. But if they had made a 3rd park (like WDW did with DHS) things would be looking a little thin over there as well. But I would still prefer 3 parks, because they would offer some sort of ticket that covers those parks at a discount..
I agree HP could have had a whole park. I still could see HP expanding. I hope it does. but I disagree with the idea of spreading things out as much as WDW does. Spreading attractions overly far from each other is one of the things I dislike about WDW's approach. MK is about right, Epcot is spread way too thin. Currently, HS has tons of wasted space, and it makes the park seem a bit trashy/ugly to us.

DVC AP is another one on here. For those going one week each year, just go one week earlier the next year and 2 trips are covered for $250 each including hopping. In affect, and AP is then $250 per year.
Another great option if you only visit WDW a few times a year is to figure the monthly cost of owning an AP, and the value of renewing vs. letting it expire then buying a new one 4 months later.

If I renew today, my AP expires a year from today (a year and a day). If I buy a new one, 4mos from today, it is good for 12months from THAT day.

Still one more option that has worked for us in the past was to buy just 1 AP and TiW, and everyone else bought regular tickets.

Running the number has saved us quite a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter