Are Disney prices too high?

You keep saying this, but I don't think you understand what price gouging is. I found several different definitions on economics sites, and what you describe doesn't fit any of them. One is "pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available, as during a civil emergency".

Disney has competition, not just in Orlando but world wide. So there are PLENTY of alternative retailers. They are not pricing above the market price, as many posters on this thread have pointed out.

Vacationing at Disney World, as vacationing ANYWHERE, is a choice, a choice that comes with a cost.

You would really rather they dropped their prices to what they were 20 years ago? Or any other reduction you choose? What then? Put up with even MORE crowds?

I really would love to hear what you would like Disney to do to solve the problem you think they have created.

I keep using the term gouging because it's correct. Definition is below:

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

I think for Disney has to go back to having "the Disney Difference". That really seemed to have diminished completely. Rides are not updated, Hollywood Studios has lost its luster many attractions have closed down. The food quality has gone way down hill while prices have skyrocketed. I still love Disney but in my opinion there are things there that needed to be corrected. Some of the attractions are antiquated. I think if they adjusted the cost of their food prices more people would buy food at the parks. Which means a win win situation. I believe this is true for merchandise too. I don't think the Disney Difference exists like it once did. They want to squeeze every last dime out of the consumer. Between the dessert party for $50 per person to the Micky Christmas Party, to the lack of decorations at Christmas. It just seems as if Disney is not what it once was. These are just a few things there are plenty others issues.

Last edited:
I keep using the term gouging because it's correct. Definition is below:

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

I think for Disney has to go back to having "the Disney Difference". That really seemed to have diminished completely. Rides are not updated, Hollywood Studios has lost its luster many attractions have closed down. The food quality has gone way down hill while prices have skyrocketed. I still love Disney but in my opinion there are things there that needed to be corrected. Some of the attractions are antiquated. I think if they adjusted the cost of their food prices more people would buy food at the parks. Which means a win win situation. I believe this is true for merchandise too. I don't think the Disney Difference exists like it once did. They want to squeeze every last dime out of the consumer. Between the dessert party for $50 per person to the Micky Christmas Party, to the lack of decorations at Christmas. It just seems as if Disney is not what it once was. These are just a few things there are plenty others issues.

To go along with this. I found it disgusting that the Disney management were giddy that spending goes up with the use of MagicBands because people don't realize how much they are spending. The fact that they brag about that makes me uncomfortable.

Another that gets me is the lack of AP discounts IN THE PARKS! They tell you that the discount is a reason to buy the AP, yet you can't use it for much.

I agree that it is gouging, but I also believe it is deception.

You keep saying this, but I don't think you understand what price gouging is. I found several different definitions on economics sites, and what you describe doesn't fit any of them. One is "pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available, as during a civil emergency".

Disney has competition, not just in Orlando but world wide. So there are PLENTY of alternative retailers. They are not pricing above the market price, as many posters on this thread have pointed out.

Vacationing at Disney World, as vacationing ANYWHERE, is a choice, a choice that comes with a cost.

You would really rather they dropped their prices to what they were 20 years ago? Or any other reduction you choose? What then? Put up with even MORE crowds?

I really would love to hear what you would like Disney to do to solve the problem you think they have created.

You can find whatever version of "price gouging" you desire. It doesn't change the implication of what it means. Simply, that an entity selling a product does so at a cost much greater than what would be considered usual profit margins due to a restriction in the market. This "competition" of which you speak isn't really competition in terms of pricing. Disney's prices have no bearing upon those of Universal, Six Flags or the confusing comparison (by some other posters) to a "sporting event" (I really don't get the comparison there...).

Let me put it to you in words you can comprehend.

If you and your DD, DS, DH or whatever acronym you choose are at the park and find that you are getting hungry, what options do you have? Stopping off at the nearest McDonald's? NOPE! You're going to head over to Pecos Bill's, or the Crystal Palace or Tony's etc. and pay $15 each for a dried out burger, fries and sugary beverage. A meal that would set you back about $7 at the nearest fast food place. Or you can drop $25 or more at a sit down place with marginal food and hope for the best. Either way, you're going to pay a heck of a lot more simply because you did so at a Disney Park. Not too many options once you're inside, eh?

I get a kick out of the turkey legs though. That's a hoot! Just under $10 dollars for what you can get at a food store for less than half. Have you ever been to a park when it rains? All of a sudden, out of the blue, come out the ponchos at literally every market. It's like the magic of Disney! And, for a paltry sum of $9.39, you can get a thin plastic wrap with the image of Mickey Mouse on the back! The very same poncho on sale at Walmart for about $2! For a family of four, that's about $37 and change! And you think thats a bargain??

I don't think it's Brunette8706 who doesn't understand what "price gouging" is......

Just sayin...

To go along with this. I found it disgusting that the Disney management were giddy that spending goes up with the use of MagicBands because people don't realize how much they are spending. The fact that they brag about that makes me uncomfortable.

Another that gets me is the lack of AP discounts IN THE PARKS! They tell you that the discount is a reason to buy the AP, yet you can't use it for much.

I agree that it is gouging, but I also believe it is deception.

ITA! :)

You can find whatever version of "price gouging" you desire. It doesn't change the implication of what it means. Simply, that an entity selling a product does so at a cost much greater than what would be considered usual profit margins due to a restriction in the market. This "competition" of which you speak isn't really competition in terms of pricing. Disney's prices have no bearing upon those of Universal, Six Flags or the confusing comparison (by some other posters) to a "sporting event" (I really don't get the comparison there...).

If you and your DD, DS, DH or whatever acronym you choose are at the park and find that you are getting hungry, what options do you have? Stopping off at the nearest McDonald's? NOPE! You're going to head over to Pecos Bill's, or the Crystal Palace or Tony's etc. and pay $15 each for a dried out burger, fries and sugary beverage. A meal that would set you back about $7 at the nearest fast food place. Or you can drop $25 or more at a sit down place with marginal food and hope for the best. Either way, you're going to pay a heck of a lot more simply because you did so at a Disney Park. Not too many options once you're inside, eh?

I get a kick out of the turkey legs though. That's a hoot! Just under $10 dollars for what you can get at a food store for less than half. Have you ever been to a park when it rains? All of a sudden, out of the blue, come out the ponchos at literally every market. It's like the magic of Disney! And, for a paltry sum of $9.39, you can get a thin plastic wrap with the image of Mickey Mouse on the back! The very same poncho on sale at Walmart for about $2! For a family of four, that's about $37 and change! And you think thats a bargain??

I don't think it's Brunette8706 who doesn't understand what "price gouging" is......

Just sayin...

Great post Pirate Jeff! I couldn't agree more. Well said!

Let me also add, that I never used to complain about the prices until the quality of the product began to wane. When a steak at Le Cellier was phenomenal. When BOMA served prime rib with their pricey buffet. When the napkins had Disney stamped all over them. The details. The details. Now, it's just a huge money grab and cutting corners at ever turn. It's not like they don't have record attendance and profits or anything! Now they simply rest on their laurels and take whatever they can from those who have no concern of how they spend their money..

Let me also add, that I never used to complain about the prices until the quality of the product began to wane. When a steak at Le Cellier was phenomenal. When BOMA served prime rib with their pricey buffet. When the napkins had Disney stamped all over them. The details. The details. Now, it's just a huge money grab and cutting corners at ever turn. It's not like they don't have record attendance and profits or anything! Now they simply rest on their laurels and take whatever they can from those who have no concern of how they spend their money..

I agree! The details the details that was "The Disney Difference".

Another thing that gets me that fits into the exploitive category: the lack of linking my discounts to the magic band. I have Tables in Wonderland, AP, DVC, and Chase Visa all linked to my accounts. But if I don't ask for my discount, no dice. There is no reason that is not automatic other than pure avarice.

This is one of the reasons I marked "Disney is Greedy" on my last AP survey.

Another thing that gets me that fits into the exploitive category: the lack of linking my discounts to the magic band. I have Tables in Wonderland, AP, DVC, and Chase Visa all linked to my accounts. But if I don't ask for my discount, no dice. There is no reason that is not automatic other than pure avarice.

This is one of the reasons I marked "Disney is Greedy" on my last AP survey.

I agree! You would think that would be linked. :(

an entity selling a product does so at a cost much greater than what would be considered usual profit margins due to a restriction in the market.

What is the restriction in the market in this case?

Disney's prices have no bearing upon those of Universal, Six Flags or the confusing comparison (by some other posters) to a "sporting event" (I really don't get the comparison there...).

And how is this different from Universal, Six Flags or a sporting event? Isn't it the exact same scenario? Food that is priced higher than outside the venue is standard practice at all these places. So Disney is doing nothing different than an "alternative retailer" would do.

Just sayin...

Is the disrespect really necessary to the discussion?

So how does this help people planning trips, exactly? LOL.

Seems the definition of theme park planning is getting stretched very thin these days..

What is the restriction in the market in this case?

Umm, you can't leave maybe? As I stated before.

And how is this different from Universal, Six Flags or a sporting event? Isn't it the exact same scenario? Food that is priced higher than outside the venue is standard practice at all these places. So Disney is doing nothing different than an "alternative retailer" would do.

So as long as they're doing it, it's not a problem? I never understood that logic. Then again, I guess the argument I make is not in the best interest of the stock holders. Profit above all else. Funny thing is, if this were an oil company I wonder how many of the gouging apologists would have the same opinion?

Is the disrespect really necessary to the discussion?

I responded with the exact same candor that was offered in your previous posts.

Last edited:
Price gouging happens because it is a factor of the market. When the market will no longer pay the prices, the prices go down. You can see this with Disney merchandise that is moved to outlets stores after not selling in the parks. You can see this in the numerous threads where members are "downsizing" their vacations, going less frequently, waiting for new attractions before booking etc.

I have been guilty of purchasing a "Pirates of the Caribbean" sweatshirt just because I was cold (not the girly one about Jack Sparrow but the guy one with "Dead Men Tell No Tales"). However, I don't buy the merchandise normally. I don't buy water or soda. I choose few snacks. I do most of my adult beverages using alcohol I bring with me and refillable mug mixers. I also chose to stay at a Value Resort instead of my favorite Beach Club when the price got out of reach.

The more people who economize, the lower the prices will get. However, due to crowds, there is now a huge market for the "upcharge" event or experience. Disney knows what it is doing. The general guest? Not so much.

Sites like this can do a great service for economy minded guests. We can help people find a spot to watch the parade without paying an upcharge. We can recommend fireworks watching areas. We can suggest good counter service restaurants. We can steer guests to less expensive options for Disney branded shirts (got the cutest Frozen tank from Hot Topic with free shipping...Anna liked it).

When the market changes from the novice Disney traveler to the informed Disney traveler because they feel they are being priced out, then prices will change. Unless WDW sees a decrease in guests, guest satisfaction, re-bookings etc...price increases will continue to exceed inflation.

I don't think I was disrespectful, but I apologize if you thought I was.

You had written, "Disney's prices have no bearing upon those of Universal, Six Flags or the confusing comparison (by some other posters) to a "sporting event"."

I just tried to point out that they DO have bearing because they all follow the same industry practice. Whether you think that industry practice is a problem is another discussion.

Price gouging happens because it is a factor of the market. When the market will no longer pay the prices, the prices go down. You can see this with Disney merchandise that is moved to outlets stores after not selling in the parks. You can see this in the numerous threads where members are "downsizing" their vacations, going less frequently, waiting for new attractions before booking etc.

I have been guilty of purchasing a "Pirates of the Caribbean" sweatshirt just because I was cold (not the girly one about Jack Sparrow but the guy one with "Dead Men Tell No Tales"). However, I don't buy the merchandise normally. I don't buy water or soda. I choose few snacks. I do most of my adult beverages using alcohol I bring with me and refillable mug mixers. I also chose to stay at a Value Resort instead of my favorite Beach Club when the price got out of reach.

The more people who economize, the lower the prices will get. However, due to crowds, there is now a huge market for the "upcharge" event or experience. Disney knows what it is doing. The general guest? Not so much.

Sites like this can do a great service for economy minded guests. We can help people find a spot to watch the parade without paying an upcharge. We can recommend fireworks watching areas. We can suggest good counter service restaurants. We can steer guests to less expensive options for Disney branded shirts (got the cutest Frozen tank from Hot Topic with free shipping...Anna liked it).

When the market changes from the novice Disney traveler to the informed Disney traveler because they feel they are being priced out, then prices will change. Unless WDW sees a decrease in guests, guest satisfaction, re-bookings etc...price increases will continue to exceed inflation.

Hi there!

Just curious but can you bring alcohol into the parks? I had no idea lol.

I don't think I was disrespectful, but I apologize if you thought I was.

You had written, "Disney's prices have no bearing upon those of Universal, Six Flags or the confusing comparison (by some other posters) to a "sporting event"."

I just tried to point out that they DO have bearing because they all follow the same industry practice. Whether you think that industry practice is a problem is another discussion.

I do not feel mine was disrespectful either. It was simply more on the snarky side.

You are correct, they do have a bearing but my point was contextually different than how it came out in my post. I do not feel that any other park is even remotely on par with Disney. The others ride on the coat tails of WDW and the overall experience is different. In other words, there is no comparison to be made.

Disney does their best to find the bottom of every pocket and purse that walks through the door. They're not alone but in the past, at least the quality of what you received for your money was something worth paying for.

That in my opinion is no longer the way it is.

Just sayin...

One problem with your example is Disney unlike many places actually allows you to bring in your own food, so with proper planning you can bring food in and you don't have to pay Disney prices. The reason people are willing to pay the prices at the park are due to the convenience factor.
Edit: And my local theme park doesn't allow me to bring in coolers, I have to go out to my car in the parking lot if I want more than a few snacks that I can bring in in my bag. Also their food makes Disney look super cheap. $16 for a burger, fries and a drink and they aren't too good either.

While these crowds everyone talks about sound unheard of, they are not. The numbers are close to attendance numbers in the 90's with current magic kingdom numbers slightly higher and quite frankly EPCOT hasn't reached the attendance numbers from 1991.

Maybe not, but the parks are sufficiently crowded. One might be able to argue that with price increases, Disney has been successful in managing the size of the crowds to a reasonable level.

Given the choice, everyone would love to pay less money. But do I really want to stand in elbow-to-elbow throngs of people and endure even longer wait times? Would the money I save really be worth the pain? How much do people want Disney to reduce their prices? Enough so that 10% more people will go? 30% more?

Maybe not, but the parks are sufficiently crowded. One might be able to argue that with price increases, Disney has been successful in managing the size of the crowds to a reasonable level.

Given the choice, everyone would love to pay less money. But do I really want to stand in elbow-to-elbow throngs of people and endure even longer wait times? Would the money I save really be worth the pain? How much do people want Disney to reduce their prices? Enough so that 10% more people will go? 30% more?

I don't want them to lower prices. I want them to take their profits and reinvest it back in the park so that the customer experience justifies the higher cost.

So how does this help people planning trips, exactly? LOL.

Seems the definition of theme park planning is getting stretched very thin these days..

You don't think a discussion of how expensive things are at a vacation destination is appropriate for planning? It is one of the most important topics when reviewing restaurants, hotels and attractions on sites like Tripadvisor. How much did it cost?, was the value there? Are there an appropriate amount of attractions for the ticket cost? How many rides can you get in per day? Is the buffet food worth the $50.00 charge? Turkey Legs are how much? $10.00 for a poncho?

and then there are theme park suggestions like this that can even help planning...

... Disney unlike many places actually allows you to bring in your own food, so with proper planning you can bring food in and you don't have to pay Disney prices...

I think this type of thread is most helpful!

Even though I travel to Disney more than most people, and I am overly sentimental about returning...the prices have really got to me this year. While I used to be among the biggest supporters of Disney, I no longer recommend it to my friends. Objectively, the product is no longer worth the cost. Too many of the profits from WDW have been siphoned away to fund other aspects of the Disney company (like Shanghai).

Brunette8706 has made a cogent argument.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter