Are Disney prices too high?

In regards to the FP+ and Universal's System, they aren't the exact same, no. But I can't imagine Disney World with an unlimited system like other parks. Then you'd pretty much be required to purchase one if you wanted to ride any ride. Those "express" lines would then just become the regular lines. So, you'd be forced to pay more just to ride the attractions with normal wait times.

That may seem like an extreme example, but I can see it happening at Disney World.

Other than Theme Park tickets, if you are taking a family of 4 to a popular vacation destination for a week, you are still going to have most of these costs to vacation somewhere else.
In the past two years we opted to travel all over FL, instead of just the mouse.

In short, we stayed at some pretty nice hotels, ate some great food, and even went during some peak weeks, like Easter, for far less $ than WDW.

The JW Marriott in Orlando was very nice and cost us 1/2 of what AoA would have been. Our room was huge!

We ate at US for about $25pp a day - TOTAL.

We stayed in the Tampa area for 1/4 the cost of AKL. They offered concierge lounge access for $20 per day, and the food quality was excellent! Real EGGS!

I could say far more about how much less the rest of FL costs compared to current WDW.

In the past two years we opted to travel all over FL, instead of just the mouse.

In short, we stayed at some pretty nice hotels, ate some great food, and even went during some peak weeks, like Easter, for far less $ than WDW.

The JW Marriott in Orlando was very nice and cost us 1/2 of what AoA would have been. Our room was huge!

We ate at US for about $25pp a day - TOTAL.

We stayed in the Tampa area for 1/4 the cost of AKL. They offered concierge lounge access for $20 per day, and the food quality was excellent! Real EGGS!

I could say far more about how much less the rest of FL costs compared to current WDW.

At the end of the day, we all have a choice where to spend our vacation dollars. One of the most powerful tools you have as a consumer is your pocketbook. If you object to the price of something, don't buy it. If enough people agree with you and do the same, things will change. If the majority of people do not agree with your view, you still have a choice as to where to spend your money.

I choose to spend some of my discretionary income at Disneyword because it's my happy place. Until that changes, I'll continue to spend money there.

There was the same amount of disillusionment and negative posts (if not more) when FP+ was first introduced. Now there's barely a peep against it. I suspect the same will happen here in a few weeks when people get tired of venting. Then the next ruckus will be when tiered theme park pricing goes into effect.
Gotta disagree, there is almost always a fastpass plus dislike thread on here. The problem of fastpass is still there for many of theme park goers. The past 5 years on these boards have been a real 180 degree turn in my opinion. So many things disappearing so many more increases. I understand the disillusionment going on right now!

I'm not completely defending Disney, but honestly if you look at the other amusement parks, their prices are not out of line for your 'bang for your buck'. We have several amusement parks here in New England -- $50 to get in, and $10 - $15 to park. They are a quarter of the size of the Disney parks.

Yep. Busch Gardens: Williamsburg is my "local" (3+ hours away) theme park, and it is $77 for a one-day ticket. Now, it's a beautiful park, kind of a mini-World Showcase feel only with lots and lots of rides (6 big coasters now, I think), and there is a lot to do and see, but it's not a pimple on the Magic Kingdom's butt! LOL!

Disney can be as expensive or inexpensive as one wants it to be. Yes, the cost of getting there is going to by high for some, but Disney has nothing to do with that. Airfare is expensive no matter where you're heading. Park tickets are what they are too, and aren't all that outrageous for what one is getting. Everything else can be tweaked to fit the budget of the family, including where to stay (on property or off), how LONG to stay, and where to eat.

Is it MORE expensive to stay on property, eat on property, park-hop, and spend over a week there? Of course! Is it even MORE expensive for a family of 5+? Yes! That's one of the downsides of having a large family, it costs more to do stuff. Heck, it costs a small fortune to take a family out to eat at a local chain restaurant and then to a movie (talk about ridiculous prices!).

So large families who cannot afford to "do Disney" in the most luxurious style have to figure out if they still want to go and how to cut corners to make it happen. If that means staying off property, only getting base tickets, eating elsewhere/bringing snacks and such, and limiting the number of days to 5 or fewer, then that's what they have to do. If they'd rather spend money on another destination where they might get better food and nicer accommodations for the same cost as "roughing it" at WDW, then that's their option. But while a nice hotel and good food are important, the one thing missing from a non-Disney vacation is...DISNEY. LOL. And those who want to go for the love of Disney will make compromises and budget accordingly so they can afford it.

Apparently most folks (including me, and I'm a single-income public school teacher in a poverty-level rural NC district!) think the prices are okay.

For those seemingly "worried" about Disney's attendance taking a hit because of the price increases, perhaps that is what Disney is hoping for. The biggest issue with the parks, in my eyes, is they are too popular. Over crowded. If Disney increases the spend per guest and makes the same revenue with fewer guests and less overhead, that seems pretty smart from a business perspective. At least until new attractions are built to accommodate more bodies. That is when I think you will see Disney start to offer more incentives for guests to visit and get hooked on Star Wars land, Avatar, etc.

Disney is still a fairly affordable vacation for us compared to lots of other options. We own DVC so our room costs are less here than anywhere else we vacation. We buy annual passes, which come to around $1600 for the 3 of us, but we'll use the pass over 2 years and get around 6-8 weeks admission out of it, so the daily cost is pretty cheap. For food, we'll eat two meals in the room and then just counter service or the occasional table service the other meal, so that doesn't add up to that much either.

When you actually run the numbers and then compare how many days I'm in the park, I'm probably a bad customer for Disney.

Yep. Busch Gardens: Williamsburg is my "local" (3+ hours away) theme park, and it is $77 for a one-day ticket. Now, it's a beautiful park, kind of a mini-World Showcase feel only with lots and lots of rides (6 big coasters now, I think), and there is a lot to do and see, but it's not a pimple on the Magic Kingdom's butt! LOL!

Disney can be as expensive or inexpensive as one wants it to be. Yes, the cost of getting there is going to by high for some, but Disney has nothing to do with that. Airfare is expensive no matter where you're heading. Park tickets are what they are too, and aren't all that outrageous for what one is getting. Everything else can be tweaked to fit the budget of the family, including where to stay (on property or off), how LONG to stay, and where to eat.

Is it MORE expensive to stay on property, eat on property, park-hop, and spend over a week there? Of course! Is it even MORE expensive for a family of 5+? Yes! That's one of the downsides of having a large family, it costs more to do stuff. Heck, it costs a small fortune to take a family out to eat at a local chain restaurant and then to a movie (talk about ridiculous prices!).

So large families who cannot afford to "do Disney" in the most luxurious style have to figure out if they still want to go and how to cut corners to make it happen. If that means staying off property, only getting base tickets, eating elsewhere/bringing snacks and such, and limiting the number of days to 5 or fewer, then that's what they have to do. If they'd rather spend money on another destination where they might get better food and nicer accommodations for the same cost as "roughing it" at WDW, then that's their option. But while a nice hotel and good food are important, the one thing missing from a non-Disney vacation is...DISNEY. LOL. And those who want to go for the love of Disney will make compromises and budget accordingly so they can afford it.

Apparently most folks (including me, and I'm a single-income public school teacher in a poverty-level rural NC district!) think the prices are okay.

I agree absolutely. I am not sure why people seem to put Disney in a different category than any other vacation or luxury item. Some people seem to think they are owed at least one Disney trip a year and it is up to Disney to make that trip affordable for them. It's not. It's ok to be upset about a price increase, no one likes price increases. However, most of us have matured to a level to understand that we have a choice and that prices go up based on supply and demand. I think it's funny when people use terms like "price gouging" that are typically reserved for items more practical and relevant to our daily survival than a Disney trip.

I agree absolutely. I am not sure why people seem to put Disney in a different category than any other vacation or luxury item. Some people seem to think they are owed at least one Disney trip a year and it is up to Disney to make that trip affordable for them. It's not. It's ok to be upset about a price increase, no one likes price increases. However, most of us have matured to a level to understand that we have a choice and that prices go up based on supply and demand. I think it's funny when people use terms like "price gouging" that are typically reserved for items more practical and relevant to our daily survival than a Disney trip.
Absolutely. By-and-large, the cost of ENTERTAINMENT, which is what Disney is, doesn't drop after it has risen. Tickets to go to a concert, symphony, ballet, opera, play, musical, theme park, or movie are all higher now than they've ever been, and they're also the cheapest they'll ever be.

Heck, I went to tour the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC when I was a kid with my family. I know it couldn't have cost too much because we didn't have a lot of money and would not have done it (we were passing through on our way out to visit family in Missouri). Regular admission now is $60 per adult and $30 per child (under 16). To TOUR A HOUSE. (It was amazing to see though!).

I know it sucks when something you really love doing gets too expensive. I've spent 17 years away from Disney because there was no way I could afford it. Truthfully, I probably still shouldn't be shelling out the money for it, but I think I've waited long enough. And I won't blame Disney when I cannot afford to go back for another ten years. :)

In what aspect?

In what aspect?
Size of the park and diversity of types of attractions. I can "do" Busch Gardens in about 6 hours, and that includes multiple rides on the coasters, walking around looking at stuff (Clydesdales!), riding the water rides (Pompeii, Le Scoot, Roman Rapids), taking time eating lunch, and even stopping to enjoy a street performance or other show.
Planning my upcoming trip, even without: 7DMT, BTMRR, Splash, Space, and about a half-dozen or more other rides, I'm having a hard time fitting everything I want to do into the 13 hours (split into two different days) that we'll be in the MK.

As normal theme parks go, BG:W is lovely. But it isn't a Disney theme park.

Hi Joe-

A Disney vacation is cheap? I respectively beg to differ.

For a family of 4 here is an very average cost staying in a moderate preferred room.

AIR - $250 Round Trip = $1,000.00
RESORT - $250 a night x 7 = $1750
TICKETS (4) 7 days $1427.00
FOOD $50.00 (pp per day $200) x 7 days $1400.00
MISC. $500.00

Grand Total $6,077 for a 1 week vacation for a family of 4 people over the age of 10.

I guess if you compare that to a 5 night 5 day ski vacation at Vail, CO for 4 people -

Air - $450 pp x 5 - $2250
Condo - $750+- per nite x 5 - $3750
Ski rental - @250 x 4 - $1000
1/2 day lesson $200 x 4 - $800
Lift tickets $90 pp x 4 x 5 - $1800
Food/Snacks - $75 p p per day - $1500
Oh yea, suvineers - $250
--------
$11,350
Can be more, can be less. Just an average.

I guess if you compare that to a 5 night 5 day ski vacation at Vail, CO for 4 people -

Oh yea, suvineers - $250
--------
$11,350

Medical bills - Priceless

;)

Size of the park and diversity of types of attractions. I can "do" Busch Gardens in about 6 hours, and that includes multiple rides on the coasters, walking around looking at stuff (Clydesdales!), riding the water rides (Pompeii, Le Scoot, Roman Rapids), taking time eating lunch, and even stopping to enjoy a street performance or other show.
Planning my upcoming trip, even without: 7DMT, BTMRR, Splash, Space, and about a half-dozen or more other rides, I'm having a hard time fitting everything I want to do into the 13 hours (split into two different days) that we'll be in the MK.

As normal theme parks go, BG:W is lovely. But it isn't a Disney theme park.
I agree with you when it comes to MK. It's a huge park and it's hard to get it all done. Disneyland is like that too.

However I can easily do Epcot and AK in a half a day each and DHS doesn't even take that long. If you want to slow down and smell the roses for a while then it can take longer but that will be true at any par IMO.

BG:W is a very nice park...but I agree it is not MK. However at this point in the life of the Disney parks, BG:W is probably on par (if not better) than Epcot, HS, and AK. And when you can get annual passes for $180 to BG:W and Water Park USA (which really, you can get for about $99-$120 on sale, which they are always running at different points of the year) or a 7-day pass to BG:W and Colonial Williamsburg for $98...compared to the close to $350-$400 you'd drop for a Disney 7-day pass (with or without hopper), these parks provide more value on the dollar to many right now. Not to mention, if you can drive there, the savings you get by avoiding flights and rentals cars (and even hotels/condos, since it is much cheaper to stay in the Williamsburg area) can be substantial. If anyone were to visit, I'd encourage adding on a day-trip to VA Beach or Washington DC or Jamestown, depending on the season, to make a really awesome week-long trip.

Wanted to go to a college football game last month but it would have cost at least $500 for tickets, gas and a snack or drink for my family of 3. And thats just an afternoon's entertainment. Compared to that, WDW is still a bargain.

BG:W is a very nice park...but I agree it is not MK. However at this point in the life of the Disney parks, BG:W is probably on par (if not better) than Epcot, HS, and AK. And when you can get annual passes for $180 to BG:W and Water Park USA (which really, you can get for about $99-$120 on sale, which they are always running at different points of the year) or a 7-day pass to BG:W and Colonial Williamsburg for $98...compared to the close to $350-$400 you'd drop for a Disney 7-day pass (with or without hopper), these parks provide more value on the dollar to many right now. Not to mention, if you can drive there, the savings you get by avoiding flights and rentals cars (and even hotels/condos, since it is much cheaper to stay in the Williamsburg area) can be substantial. If anyone were to visit, I'd encourage adding on a day-trip to VA Beach or Washington DC or Jamestown, depending on the season, to make a really awesome week-long trip.
It depends on what you want/look for in a park. I don't think BG:W is on par or better than Epcot or AK (maybe HS, my least favorite WDW park). Epcot is unique to me in the world of theme parks, and I just cannot get that experience anywhere but Epcot. I've only been to AK once, and it was pretty new back then, but I thought it was beautiful (this was before Asia was added).
BG:W is great if you want to spend the day riding thrill rides in a pretty setting. And I do love Colonial Williamsburg too. Not a fan of Water Country USA (not a fan of water parks period).

But this is why I say, if all I wanted to do was ride rides over and over, I've got great rides not too far from home. Sure, I could save a lot of money doing a week long Williamsburg trip. I'm sure I could stay in a beautiful hotel, eat wonderful food, see lovely things at CW, and ride lots of fun rides at BG. But it's still not DISNEY WORLD. I don't know how to explain that any other way.

Oh yea, suvineers - $250
--------
$11,350

Hi there

Well again this is apples and oranges. You are comparing a very posh expensive resort for 5 adults in a condo. My price comparison was in a moderate for 4 people. Now if I wanted to use a villa such as the Grand Flordian villa then we are looking at approximately $1800.00 a night for 7 nights which would equate to $12,600.00 for the resort only plus air plus tickets plus food plus misc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter