Anyone who changes plans if rack rate is only option? Update

Check rates for the Disney Springs resorts. Mouse savers currently has a discount code for The Doubletree Suites. It's a great hotel and those hotels have continuous bus transportation to parks every 30 min.

I love the DoubleTree Suites and often recommend it on the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board. Checking the dates given, it's not a good option here. It's $141/night through the Disney Springs Hotels marketing website or $149/night through Mousesavers (which includes continental breakfast). There is also an additional charge of $17/night for self-parking.

The other Disney Springs hotel I'm fond of is the Holiday Inn. The cheapest refundable/cancelable rate there is $144/night plus $12/night for self-parking.

In my experience, the Disney Springs hotels don't offer great discounts until 3 or 4 months out. Chances are that the rates will fall. Although, this stay abuts Thanksgiving, so hotels won't be hurting for guests that week.

I prefer moderates over WL so I would definitely choose a mod. My favorite is Port Orleans Riverside (POR). The difference between travel time to MK is relatively small so that is not a factor for us. We like the pools and food court at POR, the resort layout, and our rooms have been much quieter at POR.

I prefer moderates over WL so I would definitely choose a mod. My favorite is Port Orleans Riverside (POR). The difference between travel time to MK is relatively small so that is not a factor for us. We like the pools and food court at POR, the resort layout, and our rooms have been much quieter at POR.

OP here...POR is our 1st choice for a moderate. I've stayed at POFQ and CBR on previous trips and I really liked POR when we walked over there while we staying at POFQ. Thanks for your feedback!

I love the DoubleTree Suites and often recommend it on the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board. Checking the dates given, it's not a good option here. It's $141/night through the Disney Springs Hotels marketing website or $149/night through Mousesavers (which includes continental breakfast). There is also an additional charge of $17/night for self-parking.

The other Disney Springs hotel I'm fond of is the Holiday Inn. The cheapest refundable/cancelable rate there is $144/night plus $12/night for self-parking.

In my experience, the Disney Springs hotels don't offer great discounts until 3 or 4 months out. Chances are that the rates will fall. Although, this stay abuts Thanksgiving, so hotels won't be hurting for guests that week.
I subscribe to Mousesavers web site so I get sent their Hot Deals. The latest Hot Deal doesn't give breakfast but does waive parking and Internet fees, plus a nice room discount. Can't remember rate, I didn't keep email.
Worth subscribing to their newsletter to get the extra deals. They don't publicize them on web site.

We stayed there once, and thought it was very nice, spacious 1 bedroom. And with mini kitchenette/wet bar with fridge & microwave you can put together a decent breakfast. My pref will always be onsite, but this is a great alternative. Especially for a family wanting more room.

OP here...We can't shorten our stay, flights have been booked and we're flying from CA. We booked knowing that we could 'afford it'...but, I was feeling a bit of buyers remorse, since it goes against my instinct to pay rack-rates for any hotel, even Disney! Thanks for your feedback!
Well, I didn't say anything about not being able to "afford" the price. If you re-read my PP, I said I would not book a rate that I wasn't willing to pay.

Since you cannot change your dates, I would agree with those who suggested going offsite, especially since you will have a car. An offsite vacation home would provide you with both privacy for all of the adults while giving you common areas to gather in during your down time. Even a condo in a resort community can be more affordable than the rack rate at onsite lower-level deluxe resort and will provide you with more space.

We've been hoping for a room discount but doesn't look like it will happen for us, either (Nov 30 - Dec 8). We booked while at Disney last year and our dates were excluded from the BB so we knew it was a possibility but my husband really wanted to go this week. We are staying at BC, paying rack rate :scared: with no plans to change resorts. I'm just trying not to think how much more we're paying this year for our room...

It looks like it will be a miracle if any discounts will be released for my travel dates (Nov. 17-24). Currently, we have rack rate reservations at AKL for 5 nights and at WL for 3 nights. We have 2 rooms booked (since we are 5 adults who want our space).

We will keep the AKL reservation. However, I'm considering switching to a moderate instead of WL -- which would save me around $1500. We will have a car, so we won't necessarily need to rely on the bus transportation.

Thoughts?
I'd stay offsite for that portion of the trip, as you can still do the 60+ FPs for the hardest-to-get FP rides (7DMT & FEA) via your AKL stay. Waldorf Astoria Orlando and Hilton Bonnet Creek are located within Walt Disney World, have great reviews for their rooms, have a complimentary shuttle (& you can always drive) and prices that will be much lower than rack rate deluxe during the holiday season. You would be so much more comfortable at one of those than at a Disney moderate.

We decide on the hotel we really want to stay at and then make sure we save enough to be able to afford it at rack rate if we have to. Then we stay there, discount or no discount. For us, the hotel is a big part of the vacation, so we only go when we can comfortably afford to stay where we want.

Well, I didn't say anything about not being able to "afford" the price. If you re-read my PP, I said I would not book a rate that I wasn't willing to pay.

Since you cannot change your dates, I would agree with those who suggested going offsite, especially since you will have a car. An offsite vacation home would provide you with both privacy for all of the adults while giving you common areas to gather in during your down time. Even a condo in a resort community can be more affordable than the rack rate at onsite lower-level deluxe resort and will provide you with more space.

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you meant by willing to pay. That's probably a more accurate way to describe why I posted to begin with.

I'm just second guessing - since we normally don't pay rack rate for any hotel. Usually we're able to book with an AAA or a loyality rate. We didn't even pay rack rate at Four Seasons in Maui! Once again, thank you for your feedback!

I'm booked a few nights at Pop in Nov which I am comfortable paying, though I'd rather not. I've never paid rack rates at WDW, and still have hope there will be a discount. Nov dates haven't been blacked out, as a PP said, the last promotion only went through Nov 5.

Last Oct or Nov I couldn't find any discounts for the trip we decided to take in early Dec. I also found the Swan and Dolphin to be expensive. I ended up renting DVC points at the BW. It was great. We didn't have flights to work around so we could be flexible, and we ended up with one of the deals where you buy a pre-booked stay. We used DVC Rental Store, and I was really happy with them. You could probably get rooms at OKW or SS without any problems, and there might be availability somewhere else. You'd just have to send in the request form. There's no fee for them to check availability for you.

Ditto!! Been going over 10 years and never paid rack. Sorry to us, Disney resorts are not close to being worth their rack price.

Ditto, Ditto! We've always been able to get some discount on our rooms at Disneyland and WDW. I guess because we have two rooms booked -- I'm just feeling even more how expensive this family trip has become! The hotel is such a big part of our vacation.

Ditto!! Been going over 10 years and never paid rack. Sorry to us, Disney resorts are not close to being worth their rack price.
This!! I've never paid rack rate and won't. Rack rates at WDW are ridiculous. Resorts are a big part of my trip so I go during a time that discounts are released.

I never book rack rate. I wait until discounts come out then I book.

Same here. I prefer not to change resorts once I'm booked, so I don't want to book a value because that's all I can afford now, when I can wait and get a mod or deluxe later. Plus, it gives Disney less incentive to discount if the rack rate rooms are booked. Yes, it's a waiting game and I don't always get my first resort choice, but I do get the best price and resort possible for each stay.

I only book a room at a price that I am willing to pay. Even if there is a discount, it might not apply to your room. If a discount came out, I might look at upgrading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter