• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone who changes plans if rack rate is only option? Update

goofyfordisney

DIS Veteran
It looks like it will be a miracle if any discounts will be released for my travel dates (Nov. 17-24). Currently, we have rack rate reservations at AKL for 5 nights and at WL for 3 nights. We have 2 rooms booked (since we are 5 adults who want our space).

We will keep the AKL reservation. However, I'm considering switching to a moderate instead of WL -- which would save me around $1500. We will have a car, so we won't necessarily need to rely on the bus transportation.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
$1500 is a lot, but I would really want to keep the WL if those nights coordinated with MK days. If not going to MK those days, then I'd say go for the less expensive option.

I always book based on what I can comfortably afford at rack rate. Discounts for fall have been out for quite some time. Much of Nov is blacked out. I would not expect any new discounts for that month.

WL is undergoing a big construction project. I wouldn't want to stay there with that going on. With that kind of saving, I'd be going moderate, but that's me.

If there is nothing discounted through WDW, I often book Swan or Dolphin instead. I'd much rather stay in he Epcot resort area than spend the same amount at a moderate

It looks like it will be a miracle if any discounts will be released for my travel dates (Nov. 17-24). Currently, we have rack rate reservations at AKL for 5 nights and at WL for 3 nights. We have 2 rooms booked (since we are 5 adults who want our space).

We will keep the AKL reservation. However, I'm considering switching to a moderate instead of WL -- which would save me around $1500. We will have a car, so we won't necessarily need to rely on the bus transportation.

Thoughts?
To answer the question in the thread title: I don't book a rate that I'm not willing to pay. If enough people book at the rack rate, Disney has no incentive to offer discounts.

Personally, I would shorten my stay rather than go from WL (which will be decorated for Christmas) to any moderate resort (also decorated for the holidays, but not as impressively). But that's my preference. There are a lot of people who stay twice as long as I do because they don't mind staying in Value Resorts.

I vote for the Dolphin idea suggested above. Great location at great prices. Not to mention more food options and amenities than YC . We got $170 a night plus the $25 fee. I started at $196 but kept checking.
If mod., I love POR and wouldn't hesitate to go back there.

If there is nothing discounted through WDW, I often book Swan or Dolphin instead. I'd much rather stay in he Epcot resort area than spend the same amount at a moderate

You know I see this exact statement very often here on the DIS, but in my experience I have never been able to find a rate at the Swan or Dolphin for anything close to what we pay at a Moderate. And I have checked every single trip for the last 7 years. I mean even before adding in the nightly resort fee, Swan and Dolphin rooms have been at least $50 more per night than CBR. And then when you add in the cost of getting to/from MCO and the nightly resort fee, it's a much bigger difference.

It really bums me out because we love the Epcot area, have enjoyed touring the Swan and Dolphin and eating there. But if I'm going to spend that much more over a Moderate I'm going to do it at one of the WDW Deluxes in the Epcot area.

Don't forget to check other sites like Expedia, etc. This summer we got the best deal for WL through them.

You know I see this exact statement very often here on the DIS, but in my experience I have never been able to find a rate at the Swan or Dolphin for anything close to what we pay at a Moderate. And I have checked every single trip for the last 7 years. I mean even before adding in the nightly resort fee, Swan and Dolphin rooms have been at least $50 more per night than CBR. And then when you add in the cost of getting to/from MCO and the nightly resort fee, it's a much bigger difference.

It really bums me out because we love the Epcot area, have enjoyed touring the Swan and Dolphin and eating there. But if I'm going to spend that much more over a Moderate I'm going to do it at one of the WDW Deluxes in the Epcot area.

For the week we are going in august, POR right now is $209, but I have 169 plus 25 at dolphin. So actually 194, cheaper. I did keep checking rates and caught it low.
For Ops date, using AAA discount at Dolphin, is 235 plus the 25. So, 260. Plus that could go down. That date at POR is 229. So at that time, if dolphin rates don't go down, it is a little more.

Me, I just won't pay rack rate. I would move to a moderate for that much money. All I can think about is all the things I could with that money!
That is a great point. I just looked up the moderates on trivago for the dates we are going, and although POR was still 209, CSR was $147!!

OH I love CSR and would jump all over that price!! It's the deluxe of the moderates and a great adult resort.

Me, I just won't pay rack rate. I would move to a moderate for that much money. All I can think about is all the things I could with that money!

OH I love CSR and would jump all over that price!! It's the deluxe of the moderates and a great adult resort.

I'm having fun with this now. When OP goes, trivago shows swan down to 210 and POR to 219. Better than the above disney rates of 235 and 229 I said above. Those sites are definetly worth a try.
They made it look like they were pushing those CSRs, must not have booked them all and is in less than 2 weeks. So maybe the best deals on those sights can come close to date.

I'm having fun with this now. When OP goes, trivago shows swan down to 210 and POR to 219. Better than the above disney rates of 235 and 229 I said above. Those sites are definetly worth a try.
They made it look like they were pushing those CSRs, must not have booked them all and is in less than 2 weeks. So maybe the best deals on those sights can come close to date.

OP here...I would consider Swan for sure. We do have a car, so I'd need to pay extra for parking, correct?

We can't change our dates -- we've booked flights and are flying from CA.

To answer the question in the thread title: I don't book a rate that I'm not willing to pay. If enough people book at the rack rate, Disney has no incentive to offer discounts.

Personally, I would shorten my stay rather than go from WL (which will be decorated for Christmas) to any moderate resort (also decorated for the holidays, but not as impressively). But that's my preference. There are a lot of people who stay twice as long as I do because they don't mind staying in Value Resorts.

OP here...We can't shorten our stay, flights have been booked and we're flying from CA. We booked knowing that we could 'afford it'...but, I was feeling a bit of buyers remorse, since it goes against my instinct to pay rack-rates for any hotel, even Disney! Thanks for your feedback!

OP here...I would consider Swan for sure. We do have a car, so I'd need to pay extra for parking, correct?

We can't change our dates -- we've booked flights and are flying from CA.
Yes. That is true I think $18 a day plus the 25 fee. So your up to 253. If you do book, continue to check rates as you get closer.

For the week we are going in august, POR right now is $209, but I have 169 plus 25 at dolphin. So actually 194, cheaper. I did keep checking rates and caught it low.
For Ops date, using AAA discount at Dolphin, is 235 plus the 25. So, 260. Plus that could go down. That date at POR is 229. So at that time, if dolphin rates don't go down, it is a little more.
Did you also calculate airport transportation?

My thoughts: offsite condo/vacation home. 5 adults will appreciate the extra room, you have your own vehicle so transportation to/from parks isn't an issue, and you save big $$$ even over a moderate.

OP here...We can't shorten our stay, flights have been booked and we're flying from CA. We booked knowing that we could 'afford it'...but, I was feeling a bit of buyers remorse, since it goes against my instinct to pay rack-rates for any hotel, even Disney! Thanks for your feedback!
Check rates for the Disney Springs resorts. Mouse savers currently has a discount code for The Doubletree Suites. It's a great hotel and those hotels have continuous bus transportation to parks every 30 min.

No, why would i? I thought this discussion was about rooms. OP is set on flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter