Anyone want to read about our super quick whirlwind road trip to the world?

I left off just as we were about to use our first FP+. After much agonizing and planning and switching everything around and back again, I decided on our FP+ choices for our day at MK. My picks were Peter Pan, Enchanted Tales with Belle, and Buzz. Much of that had to do with research on crowds and lineups and peoples' recos here among other things. By the time we had booked our trip - only about 45 days out, there was no hope in heck to get a FP+ for Anna and Elsa - but even if I could have, I wasn't sure that DD would be into it. She had fun meeting any characters that happened to be around without much of a line, but she wouldn't have wanted to use a precious FP+ on it. To be honest - I didn't even tell DD we were going to Disney until a few days before!! And I didn't give her much say in our FP+ choices lol. I hoped she would go with me on it after all my research and thankfully for the most part she did lol.

Anyway...we got on Peter Pan...and were very glad of the FP+ we had for it. Would have liked to ride again but...with the size of the line...uh no. So did that, then it was time for lunch!!!

Eventually it was time to go in. We got an adorable little table for 2 right near the piano and fiddle players off to the right of the stage. As soon as we sat down they took our drink orders and the food started coming. I had some sangria and DD had some pink lemonade in a fancy cup. First was the salad and corn bread. DD didn't think much of the cornbread...so I practically ate the whole loaf myself. There's a lot of food when you go with just two people. We got a big bowl of salad...I picked out all the veggies DD liked for her and I ate the rest myself. The salad was really good too.

Next came ribs, fried chicken, corn, mashed potatoes...I thought all of it was delish but my fave was the chicken and corn and salad. I would have been happy with just that. DD liked the mashed potatos best. Meanwhile the show started sort of in between courses. It was a fun, albeit hokey, show. They got the audience involved a bit with birthdays and special celebrations and songs about where certain people were from etc. They had some audience members get up on stage and dress up and be part of the show. After the main course they brought out the dessert - Strawberry shortcake. This was delish - although also way too big for the two of us. DD loved the strawberries. After dessert came what I think was DD's fave part - they gave her a washbord to play along to the music with a spoon. She really enjoyed that. And then they made sort of a conga line with all the kids and marched around the auditorium. DD liked that too. After that, she ate a few more bites of dessert and it was time to go.

Glad to hear that she liked HDDR. We'll be staying at WL and I definitely want to go to FW as well.

I understand about no one commenting on your TR. I feel like I'm back in high school! No one wants to read my PTR! No one likes me! Aaaahhh! ;)

Following along!! Taking mental notes for our FIRST family trip!

Glad to hear that she liked HDDR. We'll be staying at WL and I definitely want to go to FW as well.

I understand about no one commenting on your TR. I feel like I'm back in high school! No one wants to read my PTR! No one likes me! Aaaahhh! ;)

Thanks for following!! Where is your TR? I don't see a link to it...but maybe because I'm kinda just learning the ropes around here. Yes, the WL was so nice...I really liked the location and the quick and easy access to MK...although...if we had gotten to stay longer I'm not sure I could justify the price. It was ok since we only stayed a couple of days. But so convenient and beautiful!!

Following along!! Taking mental notes for our FIRST family trip!

Wow, first trip?? So excited for you!! I want to go back already so bad!! Thanks for following along!!

Even a 1 day trip to MK sounds so wonderful!

It absolutely was!! Sigh...want to go back now...no idea when I will though! Thanks for following along!

On to...LUNCH!! Since I had only booked our trip about 45 days out...I had pretty much given up all hope of getting to eat at Be Our Guest. Even if I had wanted to use a FP+ for it, we would have had to eat at some really obscure time and I didn't want to do that. So I was going to just go somewhere QS for lunch...until....DIS saved the day!! I can't remember exactly when...but a few weeks before our trip, I see on the DIS that they were changing BOG lunch from a FP+ to a ADR and that it had just opened up!!! I couldn't believe my luck!! Luckily I was at my computer at the the time and got on MDE as quickly as I could to try to secure a coveted lunch ADR!! The system crashed a couple times mid-reservation...but eventually I was able to get an ADR for 12:15PM!!! I was so happy.....until I realized that we had our Enchanted Tales with Belle FP+ for 12:30-1:30pm. Sigh.....this was one of the few times that I was cursing the whole FP+ business.

I had a dilemma....I tried to move the Enchanted Tales FP+ to later....but there were no times until MUCH later...and I had no idea if we'd be going back to the WL for a break or what we would feel like doing in the evening. Plus it would also mess up our FP+ for Buzz. So I opted to leave it alone and hope that with a 12:15 ADR for lunch that we could be out of there before 1:30pm and get to Enchanted Tales. I know that really just over an hour should be enough time for a QS lunch...but I had heard of people having to wait longer than their assigned time even with a ADR and so I was a bit stressed about that. Yeah I'm the type to stress about everything, so there you have it.

Anyway, we decided at about 12:05 to go up to the check in and see if they would take us. I scanned my magic band on their little machine...and....nothing!! What??? I was worried. Luckily...because of someone on the DIS' reco...thankfully, I had brought a printout of my confirmation on MDE. They fiddled with their machines and ipad type things some more....and eventually just let us in....but then I was worried that they would mark us as no shows....but they assured me that this would not happen.

So as we were waiting in line to get to the kiosks where you order your food...we looked at the menus. Uh oh. I hadn't shown DD the menu before....and she was not happy with the choices. Luckily..once it was established that you could make substitutions on the side dishes all was right in the world. DD got the kids meal with grilled cheese sandwich and subbed the sweet potato fries for regular fries and got a cookie instead of the soup. I also decided to get a kids meal - the turkey sandwich. All was really good and even though we had really wanted to try the cupcake with the grey stuff....we were way too full after lunch. We did however, get to see it because there was someone else at the large table that we were sharing who had it. We sat in the West Wing which was really cool and detailed. After lunch, we took a look around the rest of the castle and just loved all the decor. I would definitely like to try this place again for lunch or dinner someday. Maybe after the hype has worn off a bit it will be more feasible to get an ADR.

After lunch and looking around...I looked at my watch...1:15...yikes!! We hit the ladies' room and then ran out to get to our FP+ for Enchanted Tales.

That is one of the pieces of advice I give anyone who will listen....get there at rope drop. You can get so much done in that time between RD and noon...it is amazing! You can always go back to the hotel for a nap! But most people don't like getting up early on vacations, so that leaves the parks kinda empty at rope drop. (ok that may be a bit of a stretch, but it is certainly les crowded!)

I'm along for the ride!

Lynn

I actually understand doing only one park day.

I know this is not the same, but I'm from CA. We went to visit family in 2010. It was just me and my then 4-year old son (DH had a schedule conflict, and our other kids weren't born yet). Anyhow, my uncle books hotels for a living, so he got us a great discount at a hotel across the street from Disneyland. He also got us a free night at a hotel in San Diego. My uncle sometimes also gets free tickets to attractions, so we had Sea World tickets and one-day Disneyland hopper tickets for me, but not for my son. We were only there 5 nights (and, like I said, one night would be in a suite in San Diego to go to Sea World, a few hours of driving). The cheapest option was for me to buy a one day ticket for my son just to Disneyland Park. We hit the park in the morning, took a little break for nap/dinner (easy to take breaks at DLR), and then stayed out as late as we could. It was great, and I don't think we could have fit in more quality park time.

That is one of the pieces of advice I give anyone who will listen....get there at rope drop. You can get so much done in that time between RD and noon...it is amazing! You can always go back to the hotel for a nap! But most people don't like getting up early on vacations, so that leaves the parks kinda empty at rope drop. (ok that may be a bit of a stretch, but it is certainly les crowded!)

I'm along for the ride!

Lynn

Welcome! So nice to have you!! Yes it is indeed hard to get people who don't "get" the whole Rope Drop thing up early and out the door...so worth it though. I think maybe the only time it wouldn't be a must is if you have a lot of days to spend in the parks as well as an AP!! But even then...I'm such a morning type anyway lol

I actually understand doing only one park day.

I know this is not the same, but I'm from CA. We went to visit family in 2010. It was just me and my then 4-year old son (DH had a schedule conflict, and our other kids weren't born yet). Anyhow, my uncle books hotels for a living, so he got us a great discount at a hotel across the street from Disneyland. He also got us a free night at a hotel in San Diego. My uncle sometimes also gets free tickets to attractions, so we had Sea World tickets and one-day Disneyland hopper tickets for me, but not for my son. We were only there 5 nights (and, like I said, one night would be in a suite in San Diego to go to Sea World, a few hours of driving). The cheapest option was for me to buy a one day ticket for my son just to Disneyland Park. We hit the park in the morning, took a little break for nap/dinner (easy to take breaks at DLR), and then stayed out as late as we could. It was great, and I don't think we could have fit in more quality park time.

Welcome!! And I'm glad someone understands my "only doing one park day" strategy. The thing I had to keep telling myself is that my DD didn't really know what she was missing by not going to other parks because she was so little last time we went. But I think next time we go we will have to do at least two parks because now she knows about the others and will remember next time...But it worked out really well for us on this trip just doing the one day.

Wow, this TR is getting long especially for someone who only spend one day at a park lol!! But all the better to remember everything for next time, right?

Anyway...we rushed out of lunch and over to Enchanted Tales with Belle. I was a bit hesitant in booking this FP+, but all the websites and on here said that was a good choice because lines can be very long. We got there just in time as they were letting people in. Perfect. Anyway...Alexis was a little shy when they were asking people for volunteers which was too bad because after she regretted not having a bigger "part" in the show. She ended up being a dinner plate...so she was still involved...but not as much as she would have liked. I think she enjoyed the overall experience though. It was kind of dark in there so I didn't get great pictures sigh....Oh well. And no for one day we decided it wasn't worth Memory Maker etc...and I didn't even look at any of the pictures that the PP's took because they are so ridiculously expensive. Maybe next time.

After ETWB, we still had a bit of time before our Buzz FP+ so we went on the Peoplemover (again). I know some people think it's lame but I love that ride. Although, maybe it's just me, but I seem to remember being on the PM and being able to see more of inside Space Mountain? I used to really like that because, as I may have mentioned, I'm a real wuss for rides and even though I know it's supposed to be really cool...you wouldn't be able to pay me to go on Space Mountain (or Splash, or any of the bigger scarier rides. I just hate "the drop". I can barely handle Pirates lol)

When we got off Peoplemover it was time for Buzz. Even with our FP+ it still took a bit of time to get in, but at least in line there are things to look at. Our first time on Buzz I had a decent enough (for me lol) score and DD wasn't that happy with hers...so we decided we'd do our best to try to ride again if lines weren't too bad later.

After that, we were pretty tired and hot. Yeah we are lightweights. It was about 3pm. So we decided to make our way out of the park and back to our hotel for some pool and rest time. Yes, part of me was tempted to try to push on since we did only have the one day...but...common sense prevailed - what good would it be to force DD to walk around more if she was tired and cranky and wouldn't enjoy it?? So..on our way out I insisted we make one stop - Main Street Bakery (Starbucks) so that I could get the coveted MK "you are here" mug. I was really crossing my fingers that they would be in stock because i had heard of them selling out early in the day and not getting replenished right away. It was our lucky day though - they had lots - only...the line was OUT THE DOOR!! Crazy. Luckily - I was able to find DD a seat by the window and she hung out there while I waited in line. I also discovered that you can use your Starbucks card (even from Canada) at the MK Starbucks. I had a card with a fair bit of money on it because a bunch of people had given me that as a gift for my birthday. That was awesome - I got two mugs and some snacks - apple slices and a cake pop and some water all with my Starbucks card which didn't really feel like spending money lol. We looked in one or two shops, but I promised DD that if she waited we would go to Downtown Disney the next day and she could do some shopping there...because I was really in need of putting my feet up!!

We got out of the park...and had to wait about 10 mins for a bus back to WL. For some reason all throughout this trip DD had this thing against boats. I have no idea why!!

A few weeks ago I took my daughter on a sort of not really last minute quick road trip to Disney. We already had a 2 week trip planned to see my parents in South Florida...but I surprised her with 2 nights at Wilderness Lodge and as much Disney magic as we could cram in. It sure made me dream of a longer stay...but at least I got a bit of a Disney fix on and got to try some of the places I'd heard so much about.

Coming back to add some intros in case anyone is interested. Going on this little trip is just DD, Alexis, age 9 and myself, Kathy. I do have a hubby and a 12 year old boy, Carter...however...hubby was still back at home working in the cold (Toronto) and Carter was with my parents in South Florida. He doesn't do well with crowds at all...and also, my DD and he fight like cats and dogs constantly. I find we all get along so much better if we divide them up once in a while. So my parents took DS on a little trip to Ft. Lauderdale while we were at Disney. I know...kinda sad that DS didn't get to do Disney...but I will make it up to him some other time...and really...this way was a whole lot better for everyone's sanity!!
Yayyy a little Disney is better than no Disney at all!!! Quality mother daughter time too!! Fun :))

Yayyy a little Disney is better than no Disney at all!!! Quality mother daughter time too!! Fun :))

Thanks Holly and welcome!! It was indeed some quality mother and daughter time. We really needed it...my son is...a bit of a challenge and tends to monopolize my attention while at home...so I hope in some small way I can make it up to my DD by giving her some extra special time once in a while!

Joining in on the fun! Seems like you had a great little trip so far! Can't wait to hear about the rest!

Joining in on the fun! Seems like you had a great little trip so far! Can't wait to hear about the rest!

Welcome!! So nice to see some Dis-friends here!! We did have a great little trip...and it's thinking about it that is getting me through these dreary days back home!!

You sure got a lot done at MK! Sounds like a fabulous day :)

Thanks and nice to see you!! We did get a lot done...but...it's never enough. I wish just once I had loads of time to really take in all the details without having to rush around...sigh...maybe after I retire lol

What a great day so far! Sounds like a trip your daughter will never forget!:flower:

Thanks!! Glad to have you following along!! It was indeed a wonderful day...too bad there can't be more just like it...sigh. I do hope she does remember it for a long time.

After waiting a bit for the bus back to WL, it finally came and we got on. Soon we were back at our room and quickly getting ready for some pool time. We got out there and had a little swim to cool off. Then I pretty much crashed out on a pool chair and DD had some fun doing some of the pool deck games that were going on. Now at this point...I was wiped and could have pretty much fallen asleep anywhere...and I may have...but a word of caution...this pool....is rather noisy. Lots of people running around and kids, which I totally don't mind and expect at Disney...but there was also loud music and bingo and other games going on and just...not really chill. I'm not sure if that's representative of all Disney resort pools...or maybe some are quieter...but it is what it is. I didn't mind really because we hardly spent any time there but...I think if we had a longer stay that might have annoyed me a bit more.

Anyway....after about an hour or so by the pool I felt a bit more refreshed and I think so did Alexis. We went back to the room, had showers and chilled for a few minutes before it was time to head out for dinner!! We had booked an ADR at the Kona Cafe!! I picked this place because of a lot of reasons...we'd get to ride the monorail being one of them. Also, the menu looked yummy and I wanted to check out the Poly because I hadn't been there in forever. I also didn't want a long drawn out meal though because we did plan to head back to MK for some more night time rides etc. So that was my decision strategy there...

I went up to reception to ask the CM what was the best way to get to the Poly from WL via Disney transportation. I had vowed earlier not to remove my car from the WL parking lot until it was time to leave Disney altogether...driving in that area freaks me the heck out. So the CM said we should take the bus to MK and then the monorail to the Poly. Perfect - as I said, I knew we wanted to ride the monorail at least once on this trip. We hopped on a bus to MK. When we got to MK, there were all these security type CM's around the entrance to the Monorail and I had a bad feeling as we walked that way....sigh. The Monorail was closed for some kind of issue and they weren't sure when it would be back up! Gah!! I asked if they knew if it would be back up that night and they said "we hope so" but they didn't sound too convincing. Ugh...our one day at the parks and I was worried we would miss out and DD was getting that upset look on her face. You know that look? Where you know as a mom that you better say something quick or it could turn into an actual meltdown? So I fumbled and promised her that if in fact the monorail didn't come back on that night...that we'd try to ride it the next morning. I was reallly hoping that would not happen though because we had other plans for the morning and that would put a bit of a wrench in them!!

Anyway...with the monorail down, the option to get to the Poly was to take the boat. So we...and a bunch of people...got in line and started waiting for the boat to the Poly. Luckily we had left enough time to get to our dinner or I would have been worried at this point. As we were waiting for the boat...it occurred to me that while it would be totally awesome to stay at the Poly and be on the monorail...in a situation like this if it was down...it would really suck to have the boat be your only option...especially if you were counting on being able to get back to your hotel room quickly...which would be one real benefit to staying at the Poly....hmmmm deep thoughts. But...alas!!! all of a sudden after we had waited about 10 minutes for the boat...people in the boat line started turning around and walking back to the monorail...it was back up!!! yahooo!!!

IMG_1431_zpsijuk3gle.jpg

So we followed all of them back up the ramp and onto a waiting monorail pretty quickly!! Yay...a ride on a (totally jam packed) monorail!! But it was a good ride and DD was happy and all was right with the world. We rode around through the CR and got to the Poly!!

I am so happy that she got to ride the monorail! My kids were 6 & 8 years old when we stayed at WL & we all LOVED our water taxi trips to MK... so much more relaxing than the bus. It's all good. You are still at the happiest place on earth:-)

After some rides, we decided it was time for our first Disney snack of the day!! I had a list going of my "must try" snacks...of course it was way too long to actually accomplish in our one day at MK...but I was willing to give it my best shot lol. Since it was nearby, I decided I would go to Cheshire Cafe and have the cupcake cup!

IMG_1412_zpsngxp2afg.jpg

This thing was delish. But warning - it is only good if you, like me, think that the best part of cake is the icing, because there was a LOT of it and it was really sweet. But I "do" think that icing is the best. And it had some yummy little chocolate ears and crispy candies on the top, all of which were tasty as well. Alexis actually went for the popcorn instead of this...but she was happy with her choice as well! And we had some water (from our water bottles) as well.

Feeling a little refreshed, we went for a quick ride on astro orbiter - the lines were still pretty short at this point which was great. Then we walked over to Jungle Cruise and rode that with a 5 min wait. Finally we got to my all time fave ride, Haunted Mansion. The wait was about 5 minutes as well which was ok because we got to see the new interactive queue. Alexis loved that.

IMG_1416_zpsy4regfli.jpg

After HM, we still had a little time before our first FP - since we had gotten to MK for an 8am RD, and our first FP+ was at 10:30am....so we rode IASW. I couldn't believe how much we got done between RD and 11:00am. As much as it was hard to get up and drag our butts out of bed at 6:00am...it was WELL worth it. You feel pretty awesome about the whole thing when you have accomplished all your favourite rides by 11:00am.

I need more details on this cupcake, such as are there other flavors or just this one?! I feel like I need it! I'm puttinh it on my list of snacks for my trip, I totally think the icing is the best part of cakes/cupcakes and I feel like this is a must eat for me! At the cupcake place by my office you can get a shot of frosting I haven't tried it yet but that's in my list too!

Now I'm hungry!!!

I need more details on this cupcake, such as are there other flavors or just this one?! I feel like I need it! I'm puttinh it on my list of snacks for my trip, I totally think the icing is the best part of cakes/cupcakes and I feel like this is a must eat for me! At the cupcake place by my office you can get a shot of frosting I haven't tried it yet but that's in my list too!

Now I'm hungry!!!

It was indeed really good!! The weird thing was - it wasn't actually on the menu at Cheshire but I had heard about it here. I walked up and was all said because maybe it had been a special item or something...and was going to console myself with a frozen lemonade...sigh..but THEN I saw the little poster for them up front!! Yay!! The one I had was vanilla with some white chocolate. It had white cake and the ears were white chocolate and it had these little sparkly crispies on it...sooooo good. But pretty rich...I ate most of it with DD's help...but it was a struggle! They also had a chocolate one as well - can't really describe it because...don't flame me....I'm not really a chocoholic lol and couldn't handle that much chocolate so it turned me off...but I'm sure many would think it was a dream!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter