• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone used Camelbacks?

donnsuz

Mouseketeer
We'll be going to DW in June with 6 adults. I just bought us all Camelback/Platapus (you know, 2 liter water bags with a sippy tube) back packs at Sams Club for $18. Has anyone ever traveled around DW with a Camelback and was it handy or a pain? These have wide mouth openings so they can be washed easily if water flavors (tea, kool aid, etc) are added and ice can be added also. I figured if all else they could be used as backpacks if the water part didn't work out. Any ideas?

We take a fanny pack size with us. Fill with ice and water in morning and your good to go. Plus our has extra pockets which comes in handy. We have always enjoyed ours, escially when standing in line and it get a bit warm out.

THey are excellent!! More people should use them. They were a life saver last June on our honeymoon! I think a lot of people don't even know what they are.

but I believe they're overkill for the parks. Water is heavy and it's not as if you need to CARRY water. I think the waistbelt version would be most practical.

I've used a Camelbak Lobo for cycling. Having a steady supply of water makes a big difference during long, hot rides, but that would be some serious commando touring at WDW.

I'd avoid putting anything in them except water. You have to keep them *very* clean to avoid problems.

My kids both have them (my sister is in the business - one of her friends reps them, so they came as a gift). They are really good for bike rides. If you have the bite tip (the kids do) you will need to bring extra tips - as they wear through quickly (at least when you have a three year old munching on them) - don't know about the other tips. The tips are $6 each at REI, not really a bargain.

Unless you drink a lot of water and its going to be really hot, I think they are overkill as well. I like to travel very light at Disney and leave everything I don't need back at the room - last trip we had two in diapers, so it wasn't very light - but my perferred style is room key, park ticket, id, credit card and $50 cash. Disney will give you a cup of ice water, so it isn't going to save you money. And I wouldn't put anything but water in them either. The tubing is especially difficult to keep clean.

We had such bad problems with the horrible sulfer taste of the water and ice at WDW,we had to buy offsite out of florida bottled water to survive.

So I'm not sure I would want to put florida water in the thing!!

I believe the water tastes better since Florida got some rain last year. It seemed like the taste was particularly bad when they were in a drought (remember the fires?).

Maybe the aquifer is fuller or more diluted, but during our trips over the last 18 months or so the water has tasted much, much better. Not good, better ; )

Ronda

I have no experience with these things, but they don't appeal to me. I think the water would get hot in a big hurry -- I mean, it's against your body, right? Warm water, yum-yum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter