• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone use QSDP

stitchfriend

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of using the QSDP for our upcoming trip. ( if no fall F/D). Anyone tell me about their experiences? Did you have enough food? How about variety? Was it worth the cost? I don't want to eat at the same place all the time. We really enjoyed the regular DP, but trying to be on a budget this year. Can anyone help me out.

I'm just starting to look at it myself.

There's a thread underneath us called 'thumbs up QSDP' I think that's a good place to head.:thumbsup2

We tried the QSDP in September. There were four of us and we were staying at Bay Lake Tower. We tried it on this trip because usually when we go, we go with our extended family and eat a table service every night. Since they weren't going, this seemed like the time to try it. Here's my overall assessment:

Did we have enough food? Yes
Did we have too much food? Yes
Did we get our money's worth? Yes
Would we have spent that much money had we just paid OOP? No

I think I realized when we got back that while we definitely got more than what we paid for - we probably wouldn't have paid that much if we hadn't been on the plan.

I think the main problem our group had was that we got desserts with lunch. We just don't usually eat desserts at lunchtime. So we were either wasting them (only eating 1/2) or were sharing two between the four of us and saving them for later. But then towards the end of the week we had extra desserts and still had snack credits. It just seemed like too much.

My husband and I went back in December and decided to just pay OOP. We spent much less than it would have cost us on the QSDP and we got to eat whatever we wanted, whereever we wanted.

So if it works for your family, great. But I think we've decided it's not for us.

More than enough food....
and we didnt find one counter service place that we wanted to eat that was not on the plan.

I would recommend visiting the menu's page for restaurants to see what you would likely order than add it up. I would think that if you do not usually eat desserts or eat snacks then it wouldn't be worth it.
We use a snack credit for breakfast..

Our family tried the QSDP last May and I really liked it. We got our moneys worth, there was still too much food and I did not eat a hamburger all week. There are plenty of food options-don't let anyone tell you you will be eating burgers and pizza all week.

I had roasted chicken, pasta, ribs, pork sandwiches, ham & apple sandwiches, etc. Plus I love snacks and you get two each day. Plenty for breakfast and snack time.

Would we spend less money OOP. I don't think so but it may have been close. This is only because I'm cheap and would be skipping desserts and snacks if I had to pay OOP. It is nice for us to have all the food paid for. We don't worry about how much or what we are ordering. I made sure that I knew how the plan worked before I went and we tweaked it to work for our family.

I give a big :thumbsup2 to the QSDP also.
The regular dining plan is nice but since they took away the app. and tip, it doesn't seem like a great deal anymore. We are a family of young children so QS is better for us right now.

We, two adults and two kids, did the QSDP in January - we were there for 8 nights. We definitely had enough food. I thought we would have to supplement with more meals out of pocket, but we only did that once, by choice (Rainforest Cafe because the kids really wanted to go there). We were able to use snack credits to stock the fridge for breakfast in the morning. We got stuff like yogurt, fruit, pastries, even cereal & milk. I didn't go through the receipts to see if we came out ahead financially, but I suspect that we did. There were an awful lot of desserts, though, and I know we probably wouldn't have purchased that many out of pocket. (But heck, we were on vacation!) There was a lot of variety in the types of food available on the plan, but I did get a little tired of the 'fast food' experience by the end of the trip. That said, I would definitely do the same plan again.

How do you supplement for breakfast on the QSDP? I figure I want to get my full moneys worth out of the plan so I will only use it for lunch and dinner as far as the full CS meals go. I was figuring I would have to do breakfast OOP since I can't get through a day without a full breakfast. It seems though that some of you are finding ways to get your breakfast without having to go the OOP route.

Whats the trick?

How do you supplement for breakfast on the QSDP? I figure I want to get my full moneys worth out of the plan so I will only use it for lunch and dinner as far as the full CS meals go. I was figuring I would have to do breakfast OOP since I can't get through a day without a full breakfast. It seems though that some of you are finding ways to get your breakfast without having to go the OOP route.

Whats the trick?

You get 2 snack credits per night so you can use the snack credits for things like yogurt/parfaits, pastry, bagel w/ creamcheese, fruit cups, cereal, milk, etc. Plus when we are eating at the resorts food court and instead of getting a dessert (sometimes I'm desserted out) instead of getting cake/brownie I'll get a fruit cup and put it in our fridge to enjoy the next day.

A couple of times before leaving home I scooped cereal into snack size zip lock bags and brought a couple of paper bowls (just needed to get milk) along with bringing some granola bars and pretty much ended up not even eating it.

Whats the trick?

We used some of our snack credits to get things in our hotel (AKL) like yogurt, pastries, bagels, fruit, or cereal & milk. Since the meals came with a beverage, if we ate dinner at the hotel, we would get a bottle of juice for the morning in our room, and use our refillable mugs for a beverage for dinner. The meals also came with desserts, so we would take those to the room and have them for a snack later. I even had some carrot cake for breakfast one morning. :goodvibes

A couple of times we used CS meal credits for a big breakfast because it sounded good (who doesn't love Mickey waffles!?). On those days we usually weren't too hungry for lunch, so we'd just have a snack or two during the day, then use meal credits again for dinner. We didn't necessarily plan it out that way, if we wanted a full meal for lunch we would have gotten one, but we just weren't hungry for one, and the snacks satisfied us until dinner. It just worked out that way. :confused3

When we first booked the CS plan, I honestly thought we'd have to supplement a lot of our meals out of pocket. But there really was enough food, and we were able to make the credits last all week without really thinking about it too much.

When we first booked the CS plan, I honestly thought we'd have to supplement a lot of our meals out of pocket. But there really was enough food, and we were able to make the credits last all week without really thinking about it too much.

Yes, it is quite deceptive. The first time you use it the sheer volume of food is a bit of a shock to the system! You will not go hungry. If you do your research you will have plenty of variety too. Also remember that some of the snacks you can get are subtantial, to the point that they can be used to split between two people or even serve as a meal on their own, as some have already pointed out regarding breakfast. That one extra snack per day (compared with the regular DDP) makes a big difference. And remember, just because it is CS, does not mean smaller portions. :)

You get 2 snack credits per night so you can use the snack credits for things like yogurt/parfaits, pastry, bagel w/ creamcheese, fruit cups, cereal, milk, etc. Plus when we are eating at the resorts food court and instead of getting a dessert (sometimes I'm desserted out) instead of getting cake/brownie I'll get a fruit cup and put it in our fridge to enjoy the next day.

A couple of times before leaving home I scooped cereal into snack size zip lock bags and brought a couple of paper bowls (just needed to get milk) along with bringing some granola bars and pretty much ended up not even eating it.
Is it worth the extra $12.50 per day for the fridge though. I really didn't want to add that expense. I was unable to get on any fridge swaps.

Love the QSDP. Is it enough food? Yes and at times we split meals as they were so large.

Was there variety? Yes. You can have chicken and ribs (at Cosmic Rays), an Indian meal at Tangieriene Cafe, A killer sandwhich at Starring Rolls, a fantastic breakfast, lunch or dinner at WGPE, just to name a very few. My favorite item was the butternut squash soup at Mara. They let me get it in place of dessert, as I was burnt out on sweets after a couple of days. They also have hummus and chips, zebra domes, if you want sweets still.

Lots of good food for sure!

Is it worth the extra $12.50 per day for the fridge though. I really didn't want to add that expense. I was unable to get on any fridge swaps.

Sorry, didn't realize you did not have a fridge... we were either at Moderates or Deluxes.
If you wanted to keep things cold you could either fill the sink with ice, or put a new liner in the recycle plastic bucket and put ice in that to cook things cool.:confused3 or you could pack one of those nylon colapsible coolers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter