• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone use DCL transfers from WDW resort

NAB

<font color=green>That first page just got too hea
I read somewhere that you get to the ship late.

What is the earliest or lastest someone got to the ship.

We are leaving from POR to the port.

They get there in the afternoon - pickups start around 11:30am, go to a couple of resorts and then to the port after. We've gotten there around 1:30pm both times. Our pickup was at AKL followed by POP and All Stars Music.

We left from akl at 11am, went to ssr, cbr and AoA and were held on the bus bc of long lines at the port check in, but We were still on the boat by 1pm.

You will not get there prior to 1 PM. It will be only shortly before if you get there before.

we arrived very late, around 2pm. Lunch was winding down when we got to Cabanas. I personally would never do it again especially for a short cruise. We were doing a 4 night dream, I felt like we missed a whole day

I agree with the above, we left around 1:00 or 1:30 and missed lunch completely by the time we boarded.

Around 1:00 I could handle but not sure if it got late and we couldn't have lunch. I know there are plenty of places we could get something but not the same.

Plus our Dis meet is 2:30 so I don't want to miss that either.

Just thought it would be simple just to jump on the bus and get there. We usually rent a town car but that is getting expensive too. I know it is an easy drive and could rent a car that would be the cheapest but all the hassle of getting the car, driving there get rid of the car doesn't appeal to us.

Would be nice to just go to your room and get rid of the carry ons right away.

Around 1:00 I could handle but not sure if it got late and we couldn't have lunch. I know there are plenty of places we could get something but not the same.

FWIW when we were picked up from POR we knew it was on the later side, so we had a nice later breakfast that kept us going. But we don't find Cabanas to be that fabulous or enticing, and eating just when we get on a cruiseship hasn't yet been a positive experience for us (not with our second Disney or our second RCCL), so it's not something that really draws me.

Though I do like getting ON the ship as early as possible. So when we take DCL transportation in the future we'll take it from the airport. There, the buses start leaving around 9am. That means turning in our rental car that morning, or staying at the Hyatt in the airport or right near by and shuttling in, etc.

We just did this last week and got to the port around 1 pm. I actually really liked it! Security and check-in was empty, so we walked right in. Our room was ready and we grabbed some food on the pool deck and watched the sail away show. Worked very well for us!

we arrived very late, around 2pm. Lunch was winding down when we got to Cabanas. I personally would never do it again especially for a short cruise. We were doing a 4 night dream, I felt like we missed a whole day

Only 2pm? I wished that had been us. We arrived about 220pm. I thought Cabanas closed at 3pm, but one of the servers said they close at 230pm. We felt rushed as I didn't want to prolong the CMs (I know how hard they work already.)

This was the first time we ever took did a pre-cruise stay at WDW (out of 12 DCL cruises.) I agree it felt like a wasted day (too short a day to go to park first, and we didn't want to spend what it costs to do a character breakfast, as we're not big breakfast people.)

I know it was probably a rare situation to arrive as late as we did, but DH and I decided we won't do another pre-cruise WDW stay. We usually stay at the Hyatt and take an early DCL bus, and that's what we'll do again (from now on.)

I looked at my photo and video times. We boarded, they announced our name at 12:53 :) We left the Poly at 11am, stopped at the Contemporary, and we were on our way.

FWIW when we were picked up from POR we knew it was on the later side, so we had a nice later breakfast that kept us going. But we don't find Cabanas to be that fabulous or enticing, and eating just when we get on a cruiseship hasn't yet been a positive experience for us (not with our second Disney or our second RCCL), so it's not something that really draws me.

Though I do like getting ON the ship as early as possible. So when we take DCL transportation in the future we'll take it from the airport. There, the buses start leaving around 9am. That means turning in our rental car that morning, or staying at the Hyatt in the airport or right near by and shuttling in, etc.

Which other resorts did you have to stop at before you left POR?

Another thing is that it is Spring Break in Canada and Texas. Wonder how busy it will be.

I wrote this in th beginning of the month. I hope it provides information you need:

"Just back the the Fantasy 2/1 cruise. My wife and I stayed the BLT and were the 2 pickup of the morning. The bus came at 11:30 from GF and had eight seats left. A second bus pulled up and picked up the rest of the ground. In talking with their rep she stated that POP and AoA are always the last to be picked up. This normally occurred at 12:30 to 1:00. We arrived at the port at 12:35.

At the port, talking with DCL rep about busses, he stated that the AoA bus had picked a full load and a second bus was being that one about 15 minutes from POP to pick up the rest of the people. My understanding they arrive about 2:30"

I don't remember what time it was when we got to the port, but it was after 2:00 when we boarded. We were staying at Boardwalk. There was a lot of time waiting around. We won't do that again.

Logged that one under "live and learn".

"Just back the the Fantasy 2/1 cruise. My wife and I stayed the BLT and were the 2 pickup of the morning.

In talking with their rep she stated that POP and AoA are always the last to be picked up. This normally occurred at 12:30 to 1:00. We arrived at the port at 12:35.

At the port, talking with DCL rep about busses, he stated that the AoA bus had picked a full load and a second bus was being that one about 15 minutes from POP to pick up the rest of the people. My understanding they arrive about 2:30"

Yep! That was US. We were on the 2/1 Fantasy and we stayed at Beach Club, and did one stop at POP and then AoA. Arrived 2:30ish.

Oh well. It was a 'live and learn.' At least we didn't have to wait as long for the sailaway party.:)

So do you think it's possible to take a bus from the resort to the airport, and take the bus to the ship from there to get in early?

Which other resorts did you have to stop at before you left POR?

Sadly I don't remember. The minute we got on the bus we were watching the video and chatting with others and just not paying attention to what was outside the windows until we were crossing the bridge and could see first Freedom of the Seas and then Dream. :)

We were staying concierge and could have boarded first...that made it SO much more frustrating to get on so late. Also our extended family that lives on the coast had been there for about 1.5 hours and they were texting me...didn't help. :3dglasses

So do you think it's possible to take a bus from the resort to the airport, and take the bus to the ship from there to get in early?

It's totally possible. When you stay at a WDW resort you are entitled to a DME bus from the airport and to the airport. You don't have to be arriving or leaving on a plane.

The part that I feel is complicated is the arrangements. SOME CMs that answer the phone for DME feel that it's naughty to take the bus when you don't have a flight, so they want a flight to put down. So then you're catching the bus 3+ hours before that flight.

And it's there that my brain stops working, when thinking of how to work that out. There are some things I'm good at that are complicated, and there are some simple things that fry my brain. That one's the latter. :) If it doesn't sound complicated to you, I am fabulously happy for you! :) And jealous. :goodvibes

You certainly could do that. I've read quite a few reports from others who have done the same thing. You might need to find a flight (to anywhere really, doesn't need to be to your hometown) at the appropriate time. The DME bus will pick you up approximately three hours prior to your flight time, and get you to the airport approximately two hours prior to your flight time, give or take a few minutes.

Decide what time you want to be at the airport and choose a flight two hours prior to that. My understanding is that you will need to take your luggage with you onto the DME bus to the airport though, rather than having it picked up in your room at 8:00 am as you would if taking the DCL bus from your resort to port. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't actually done this myself. I considered it, but in the end decided to go with the ease of just taking the DCL bus from our resort to port. It worked out fine for us. We were getting on the ship around 1:00, no lines at all, and we had plenty of time for lunch.

Thanks for all the responses.

We were considering this for the ease of it so all that running around chasing buses seems a bit to much for me. Not that it didn't cross my mind as well. :rotfl:

This is our 8th cruise so really there isn't a rush to check out the ship but really don't want to have to buy a late breakfast when I know I can get a free lunch on the ship. I posted this thread because I read somewhere that someone got there at 4:00 and that really scared me.

Thanks for all the responses.

We were considering this for the ease of it so all that running around chasing buses seems a bit to much for me. Not that it didn't cross my mind as well. :rotfl:

This is our 8th cruise so really there isn't a rush to check out the ship but really don't want to have to buy a late breakfast when I know I can get a free lunch on the ship. I posted this thread because I read somewhere that someone got there at 4:00 and that really scared me.

Hi! We've "met" over on our cruise's FB page. We're taking DCL ground transfers for the first time, doing it this trip because we will be travelling with our son's power wheelchair rather than manual, and we can't use the town car service we usually use. We're concerned about late arrival, and will have fingers crossed! We figure our teenages boys will appreciate the extra sleep. We also have late dining this time, so a later lunch will be okay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter