Anyone still take stroller for a 5 year old?

dsnygirl2006

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone
I was wondering if I should still take my stroller for my 5 yo DS? I don't know if he is too old, he never sits still, but I was thinking at WDW he will get tired and may want to sit down for a little while?:confused3

We just went with our 4 year old, and we're going again next year when he'll be 5. Admittedly we have a newborn who uses the stroller, but even if we didn't we'd bring it.
DS is really energetic and walked a lot, but it was great when he was tired and also when we were running to make fastpass times, meet family, etc. It is also a place to put things.
My sister has 6 and 3 year old DD's and they both used the stroller. They got a cheap-o one from walmart and left it at our resort.

Absolutely. I doubt your son uses a stroller at home but I also doubt that he walks up to 10 miles a day at home too (that's the most we've done in a day with DD but we usually walk at least 7-8 miles a day). It's a LOT of walking. Personally, I would rather deal with the hassle of the stroller than deal with a meltdown if my DD decides she needs a rest. Also, at Disney, its not that unusual to see older children in stollers (the Disney strollers could easily hold an adult).

I got a Maclaren Volo for my 5 year old for our upcoming trip.

We're going back to the resort each afternoon for a nap/swim. After that it will be off to our 5 pmish dinner reservations. I figure we'll grab the stroller then.

When my 5 year old has had enough, she falls asleep. No gradual winding down, she just conks out. So I'm thinking the stoller will make it a whole lot easier on all of us-- we won't have to carry a sleeping 50 lb child back to the room.

My 5 yr old DD is gonna share a double stroller with my 6 yr old neice. Im also taking one for my DS who is 20 months. My little girl is in that stage where if her brother is ridding, she wants to.....we also got DS a backpack buddy so I hope that helps him...

He can walk quite a bit but there are multiple reasons I bring him a stroller. He can't walk all day everyday and still have fun. Sometimes just standing in line is enough for him mid day and he needs to rest.

When it is very crowded, a child in a stroller is a child I don't have to worry about losing. People may disagree but when we are on the ferry in the morning from the TTC and in that swarm trying to get off the boat and into line both of my boys are in the stroller. It is much less stressful. Also, leaving the parks in a mob, or just walking in very congested areas we have the everyone in rule.

After the crowd thins they can hop out and walk. They walk alot in the morning and ride almost all afternoon.

I also have 2 Maclaren Volo's for my boys. I find 2 unbrella strollers so much easier than a double. My older ds only rides at Disney.

My DS who was 6 when we went for his first trip did fine without a stroller and kept asking us why there were so many kids his age that were in one. He told us it just didn't make sense.

I used a strolle rfor my 6 uear old son last year. I will be bringing it this year as well. (he will be turning 7 in August on this trip.)I am planning on using it for the late nights when he may get tired. If he doesnt want to use it than I guess I have the best thing I could as k for to carry all of our crap around for the night. Snacks ,Water , Ponchos, Umbrellas and any other stuff we might need for a summer night in Florida. These things tend to get heavy .

i am bringing one for my 5 year old in that the stroller will aide in her lasting longer through out the day. we might leave it in the car the first day and see how it goes.

Yep, definitely worth taking, lots of reasons already mentioned.
Plus, then you can take a bigger bag and it can ride on the stroller rather than on me! Drinks, snacks, hand sanitizer, no one ever stops us. All your souvenir shopping can go right in the stroller. You can take jackets or sweatshirts on those just in case days and its no big deal. Same thing with rain gear.

If you think you'll need it, then take it. I stopped using a stroller when my kids were 5 because they were hyperactive and never sat down. It worked for me because they were able to go all day and then slept like a rock at night.

We just took our Phil and Ted's double stroller for our 5 and 2yo and it was great. Our 5yo rarely walked but then she's a stroller girl and would still ride in it at home if I would let her!

Whoa you can tell this is the family board! This same question was posted on the theme park board and the Op got blasted! I thought it was crazy that people were actually upset about other people putting a 5 year old in a stroller.:confused3

Disney is a big place. Take the stroller if you have room and think he'll need it. It's also a good way to keep track of him if he is hyper-active! We rented a double for our then 3 year old and 5 year old and brought our umbrella graco for the then 1 year old. Of course this was before the price increase.

I did it in December. We were able to go all day with going back to the resort to rest. My DD understood that Mommy was not able to carry her. ( iT was just the two of us.) I can't carry my daughter for long distances bc of a foot problem. A stroller at her age made for a much more enjoyable vacation. We are going back in January and she will six, stroller is definitely coming with us! There is just no denying that the little ones do get tired and mommies get tired too!

Well, I guess I'm not the norm here. But we did not take a stroller for my son when he was five.

This has been something that we have been debating about for awhile. My son will be 5 when we go to Disney in May. He is 4 now, and doesn't use a stroller anymore, hasn't for some time.

We have decided that we are going to take a stroller for him though. What finally made up our minds? We went to the Circus the weekend before last, and he fell asleep during the end of it. My husband had to carry him up all the stairs, out of the stadium (packed with people), then all the way to the car. He looked at me then, and said "Yep, we are taking a stroller to Disney." We can just see him falling asleep during the fireworks (he did on the 4th of July), and us having to carry him back to the resort.

If he doesn't use it during the day, we can at least have it to put our stuff in (like the backpack with their extra clothes). Saves me from having to tote everything around all day.

We've been debating this too. We're bringing our kids two months before our son turns 5. We're starting to wonder if we'll have to pay to bring strollers on the plane. If so would it be better to rent one (I have to check out the prices of that still)? We haven't completely figured this out yet. I guess we'll see. Thanks for all the info here though!
~Christy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter