Anyone on the Dream right now? Castaway Cay Damage?

It really amazes me how hard the CMs must work to get things like this in shape, and how they always have a smile as though they aren't exhausted from all the work they've done. Amazing. It just makes me look forward to our trip even more!

It really amazes me how hard the CMs must work to get things like this in shape, and how they always have a smile as though they aren't exhausted from all the work they've done. Amazing. It just makes me look forward to our trip even more!

I mean, they do live on Castaway Cay... I'm sure its not all gumdrops and lollipops (supposedly the bugs are horrific), but it does have some perks.

We definitely had a windy day on CC on Wednesday! Captain Henry had a really hard time docking. We were positioned near the island when I woke at 7 and weren't able to actually dock until after 10. It was near 11 when people started leaving the ship.

The wind was fierce! The waves were full of sand and we couldn't stand to sit still for long, so it wasn't our best day on the island ever--but honestly I enjoyed it more than our Sept cruise when it was so terribly hot this FL girl couldn't stand it in the shade! The sun warmed it up a bit--it was certainly better inland where we were sheltered from the wind. I also noticed that vegetation near the shore was brown in patchy sections. I assume it was from the sea water.

I've gotta' hand it to the crew--they really did an amazing job cleaning up and making our CC day magical!

We were also on CC on Wednesday and I also commend Captain Henry for getting us in. It was definitely worth the wait! I thought the island looked great. Very little evidence of a storm to this newbie. We enjoyed the beach chairs and a few swims. Loved the waves coming in. The water was cool but refreshing. So thankful we were able to delay a day and actually get off the ship. Also thankful to all the crews getting the island ready for us.

Hi all, We were on CC on Saturday and I talked with a couple different cast members. The snorkeling is still cancelled, not sure when it will re open. We were told it is still murky water and some of the sculptures have light damage. The stingrays were cancelled as well, we were told a couple escaped and the others are in the holding area while the en-closer is being fixed. There was one building (near the boats) that was battered pretty bad, we were pointed it out by a crew member, who also said there were many palm trees down and snapped in half! We saw none of that because they are amazing and had them all cleaned up. :)

Hi all, We were on CC on Saturday and I talked with a couple different cast members. The snorkeling is still cancelled, not sure when it will re open. We were told it is still murky water and some of the sculptures have light damage. The stingrays were cancelled as well, we were told a couple escaped and the others are in the holding area while the en-closer is being fixed. There was one building (near the boats) that was battered pretty bad, we were pointed it out by a crew member, who also said there were many palm trees down and snapped in half! We saw none of that because they are amazing and had them all cleaned up. :)

Thanks for the update. Hopefully we can get a report from this week's Dream/Fantasy visitors on the snorkeling situation. Hate to drag the snorkeling gear along if it is not needed on our 11/11/12 Dream departure.

How was the water temperature?

We just got back yesterday. We went to CC on Saturday and I would say 75% of the foliage was brown. There were a lot of places they normally disguise with greenery that we could see, like a big dumpster and some of the CM "houses". The snorkel lagoon was closed. Clayton said it was due to the water being churned up and bad visibility, but the water was beautiful and seemed clear to me. Water tempurature was 78°. We didn't go in, but saw a lot of people in the water. One lady told me it felt pretty cold. There were also a few piles of sand on the paths that hadn't been cleared away yet.

We've been to CC after hurricanes in the past and were not surprised at what we saw. It will all come back eventually.

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

We just got back yesterday. We went to CC on Saturday and I would say 75% of the foliage was brown. There were a lot of places they normally disguise with greenery that we could see, like a big dupster and some of the CM "houses". The snorkel lagoon was closed. Clayton said it was due to the water being churned up and bad visibility, but the water was beautiful and seemed clear to me. :confused3 Water tempurature was 78°. We didn't go in, but saw a lot of people in the water. One lady told me it felt pretty cold. There was also a lot of sand on the paths that hadn't been cleared away yet.

We've been to CC after hurricanes in the past and were not surprised at what we saw. It will all come back eventually.

I'm glad to heard that things are getting back to normal. i just checked casy the cat facebook page and someone posted a new photo of him dated yesterday. He looks well. bet he was loney and hungery. I cryed when i read that castaway key took a hard hit.:sad2:

We just got back yesterday. We went to CC on Saturday and I would say 75% of the foliage was brown. There were a lot of places they normally disguise with greenery that we could see, like a big dupster and some of the CM "houses". The snorkel lagoon was closed. Clayton said it was due to the water being churned up and bad visibility, but the water was beautiful and seemed clear to me. Water tempurature was 78°. We didn't go in, but saw a lot of people in the water. One lady told me it felt pretty cold. There were also a few piles of sand on the paths that hadn't been cleared away yet.

Being Floridians, we thought that the water was chilly but there were TONS of people in the water, we got in as well and once we were in it was great. I got a little bit of a sunburn which is not the norm for me, so the weather was good! :) I did not notice it being brown or things being seen since we have not been there before, I thought it was Heaven!! ;P

FLbadders5 said:
Being Floridians, we thought that the water was chilly but there were TONS of people in the water, we got in as well and once we were in it was great. I got a little bit of a sunburn which is not the norm for me, so the weather was good! :) I did not notice it being brown or things being seen since we have not been there before, I thought it was Heaven!! ;P

That's us. As any FL resident knows, if the water is below 80° F, it is freezing.

realityland said:
That's us. As any FL resident knows, if the water is below 80° F, it is freezing.

You got it. And, DH isn't happy if the water temp is below 85°!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

disneyholic family said:
cruise to nowhere is better than getting off in nassau!!!

sorry you weren't able to get into CC!

we were there on tuesday and were lucky with our weather.
though our last night (wed night) we were really rocking and rolling!!!

This made me snicker!! Thank you! I only get off the ship in Nassau if I have someone with me that has never been. I'd much rather relax in the Adult area on the ship for the day. (ZzzZzzzzZzzz)
....and sleep!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

We were there Nov 6. The island is very brown. Most of the plant life had major damage, but we still had fun. The stingrays were back in the pen and up and running. The snorkeling lagoon appeared to be open too.

We were there Nov 6. The island is very brown. Most of the plant life had major damage, but we still had fun. The stingrays were back in the pen and up and running. The snorkeling lagoon appeared to be open too.

Thanks for the update! We'll be there in a couple of weeks. Glad we'll get to meet the stingrays. DS is really looking forward to it!

The island is rather brown, but there were already green sprouts shooting up on some of the damaged plants.

Everything seems to be up and running as normal. Snorkeling lagoon was open - however, I swam nearly the entire area and didn't see a huge amount of fish.

Water was cool, but very tolerable. A bit chilly for the first 10 seconds, and then perfect. We are big "cold water wimps" living here in Florida - and we had no issue with the water temp. Matter of fact, my step-son and I spent the better part of the day in the water and never felt cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter