• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Anyone on the Dream right now? Castaway Cay Damage?

cruise to nowhere is better than getting off in nassau!!!

sorry you weren't able to get into CC!

we were there on tuesday and were lucky with our weather.
though our last night (wed night) we were really rocking and rolling!!!

What's wrong with Nassau? We visited Nassau over Easter and very much enjoyed it.

We just got off the dream and it was rough the whole trip. The first night there were many many sick people. We went down the coast and near key west. Then Friday we headed back into the storm toward Nassau but were unable to dock. While a cruise to nowhere might seem fun...it wasn't. The aqua duck and outside decks were closed the entire trip. We were really rocking last night and flying Around the ship. Disney offered us 25% off of a future 3 day cruise only....no other options. I feel like it was a bad decision for Disney to have even sailed period on this cruise. We called Disney before the cruise and asked if we could change to a different date and they said no. We were all sick...the weather and seas were awful....everything was closed and we couldn't even go outside or sit on our balcony...I was scared and felt that Disney made a bad call on this.

disneyholic family said:
cruise to nowhere is better than getting off in nassau!!!

sorry you weren't able to get into CC!

we were there on tuesday and were lucky with our weather.
though our last night (wed night) we were really rocking and rolling!!!

I know we stopped at CC on Tuesday but I am shocked so many people got off the boat... It was cloudy, which was ok, but the wind was INSANE. I got off the ship for a couple of hours maximum. You could tell a storm was coming.

From the article:

The folks who were on the Fantasy could comment on that.

OK I'll bite.
Or you could sail into the outskirts of the storm and test how she will handle 18 meter waves head on.:lmao:
I'll admit it was fascinating to see/experience for a while, but after 2 hours of that I was done.
Unforgettable for sure.
It helps put things into perspective.;)

We just got off the dream and it was rough the whole trip. The first night there were many many sick people. We went down the coast and near key west. Then Friday we headed back into the storm toward Nassau but were unable to dock. While a cruise to nowhere might seem fun...it wasn't. The aqua duck and outside decks were closed the entire trip. We were really rocking last night and flying Around the ship. Disney offered us 25% off of a future 3 day cruise only....no other options. I feel like it was a bad decision for Disney to have even sailed period on this cruise. We called Disney before the cruise and asked if we could change to a different date and they said no. We were all sick...the weather and seas were awful....everything was closed and we couldn't even go outside or sit on our balcony...I was scared and felt that Disney made a bad call on this.

So sorry minnieluvzmickey.....sounded bad. And you're right....25% off a future cruise after paying full price for this one doesn't sound all that good considering the expense to travel to Port Canaveral, days off from work, expectations etc.

We were on the Dream and it was horrible. We had bad weather the whole time not just getting in to port. Everything outside on the ship was closed in landing the AquaDuck. People sick in the ball ways and other public areas. One of the props started rolling off the stage during Believe and the ship was creaking as it rolled through the waves. We should never have left port. Very disappointed in our first Disney cruise. We tried to switch to another date but were denied. Even trip i
nsurance is not good for that.

OK I'll bite.
Or you could sail into the outskirts of the storm and test how she will handle 18 meter waves head on.:lmao:
18 meters, seriously or an exaggeration? I have been through "9 meters plus" according to the monitor in the lobby, and that was quite the ride, but 18?

minnieluvzmickey said:

Did you have trip insurance? And if you did could you of opted not to go and get your money back?

Did you have trip insurance? And if you did could you of opted not to go and get your money back?

One of our party did (there were three families traveling together) and they could not reschedule either. Trip insurance only covers things accident/illness/death in the family, not weather conditions.

scootch said:
That is why I added "Cancel for any reason" on my trip insurance.

Don't most "Cancel for any reason" riders only pay out half of the cost of the trip? Even so, I guess half is better than having to endure a miserable trip or lose all of your money.

18 meters, seriously or an exaggeration? I have been through "9 meters plus" according to the monitor in the lobby, and that was quite the ride, but 18?

We were in 30 foot waves, then about every 30 - 45 minutes we would hit a wave 50-60 feet, for three hours between 1-4am. I asked all officers I saw "What was the highest waves?" All said the same, to me, verifying my guesstimates. To make a ship that size move laterally like that, even when coming down nose first off a 30 foot wave, the height had to be over 50 feet.
No exaggeration. I truly hope a smaller wave wouldn't create the movement we experienced.

One of my friends was sailing with you, and also sailed with me on the one I mentioned, which was on the outskirts of hurricane Hilary on the west coast of Mexico in 2005. She posted on facebook that this was the worst she had ever experienced, so I believe you, just wanted to verify because the number surprised me....

We were in cabin 5500 back then, which is the first passenger cabin forward, and 9 meters up the crest of a wave and then double that into the trough was nauseating - double that, wow. Bring on the meclazine.

I got off the Dream this morning. Yes, crossing the Atlantic Coastal Current last night was horrible, but the motion the rest of the week was minimal for the size of the waves. We talked to the Captain Friday night and he commented that the classic ships would have been much more "active" in those seas.

I am a person who gets sick on roller coasters, and I only needed Dramamine the last night. I think the descriptions of people being sick everywhere is a little dramatic. Of course, people may have been holed up in their cabins, but they weren't in every hallway and club tossing cookies. The night coming back to port is almost always the worst due to the current.

My experience with seasickness is that I feel worse cooped up in my cabin than I do in a large open space or out on deck in the wind. I found that candied ginger works like magic on nausea, although it tastes nasty.

I keep seeing new posts and come back to see if there is any new info on CC, but everyone is just arguing about Nassau. Can you start a new thread to do that please? Or just look for an old one...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter