Anyone not like Poly? Why?

We've stayed at the Poly many times and it's so far our favorite. It does remind me of the BB episode too, but I think that's why I like it. It seems authentic as far as the theming goes. I just find it very peaceful and relaxing.

That all being said, we did have a "not so good" stay there last time. We had toilet troubles and rude CMs~hence our GF booking this time around. We're not leaving forever, just giving it a break.

Most of the complaints I've read are fair (although the "Brady Bunch" analogies are getting tired), but I don't get the complaints that walking between buildings is a chore when it's raining. How is it the resort's fault? It's like complaining about exhaust while standing at a bus stop.
Someone asked what we don't like about the Poly, that's what I don't like. What's not to get?

Most of the complaints I've read are fair (although the "Brady Bunch" analogies are getting tired), but I don't get the complaints that walking between buildings is a chore when it's raining. How is it the resort's fault? It's like complaining about exhaust while standing at a bus stop.

The Brady Bunch analogies always make me shake my head because the Polynesian looks nothing like it did in the Brady Bunch decade (1970's)

If you look at older pictures of the place that are found on sits like tikimans, you will see some pretty ghastly looking furniture and flooring, all that would be right at home in a Brady Bunch episode. I would post them but I've heard Steve's site is blocked and they probably wouldn't show up.

Believe it or not, the Polynesian was modeled after the Kaanapali Beach Hotel in Maui and if you visit the site you will see the resemblance. They also use the traditional "long house setting" where the buildings are not attached to each other. This wasn't by accident why Disney built the Polynesian this way and makes it different from a standard "cookie cutter" hotel that seem to be everywhere and all look the same.

http://www.kbhmaui.com/

As for the price, you got me there. I also feel it's too high, but what can you do? It's considered a Disney classic and one of the original resorts that opened back in 1971. It's also sitting on a prime piece of Disney real estate and you're paying a high price for that as well. If Disney only charged $180 a night for a garden view room, you wouldn't be able to book a room and the waiting list would be pretty long. It's high, but seems in line considering the prices of hotels in Manhattan and San Francisco, etc.

The Polynesian has improved over time and I'm glad to see that. You would be hard pressed to find a hotel of it's age and time period, that has held up as well. I think it's done of better job of aging than the CR has, IMO.

A hot tub should be built and Disney needs to control/prevent the pool hoppers from using the facilities. The Volcano pool is too small to handle all the people who would love to swim there. I also think they should replace the original quiet pool and put in a updated version as well, something with a zero entry feature if possible.

I look forward to my July trip to the Poly and many others hopefully to come. The Polynesian holds a special place in my heart and I have very fond memories of my two stays there. I love the history of the place, the atmosphere, the theming, and the overall, cool vibe it gives off. Walt Disney, who had a hand in the design of this resort, would be proud of how many people have loved this resort over the 36 years it has been opened. There's a lot of good vacation memories in those 36 years, I'll bet.

Your post was a model of poise and fairness, disneyfan67.

Thank you very much. When I read some of the statements in this thread, I just wanted to let people know some of the facts. Especially the reason why the Polynesian doesn't have hallways connecting to each longhouse. When I did research on the resort, what I found began to make sense why Disney designed it the way they did. I was fascinated that they used a traditional Hawaiian resort like the Kaanapali Beach Hotel in Maui. In fact when I go to Hawaii one day in the near future, that's the resort I'm planning to stay at. It looks like the perfect place for families. When I first came across it, the Polynesian similarities were unmistakable.

resort-main.jpg

When you go to "tikiman's" site or "Widen your World" website, they have so much interesting info and it's neat to see what it was like years ago. If people think the Polynesian is Brady Bunch now, they should check out what it looked like back in the day.:lmao:

I'm a fan of the Polynesian resort, but that's not why I posted in this thread. I want to make sure that whoever is interested in staying there, gets the true or total picture of it. It's easy to make assumptions and generalizations, but sometimes those can be misleading and paint a false picture. The resort isn't perfect and I won't try and say it is, but it certainly has more pluses than subtractions.

Why is it that people complain about having to walk outdoors from a longhouse to the GCH at the Polynesian, but you never hear the same complaint about the Grand Floridian?

I do not know what is "Brady Bunch" about the Polynesian. Can someone please explain? The decor is not '70's. It is tropical / island style. When the Brady's went to Hawaii, I think they actualy stayed at the Hilton Hawaian Village, a high rise mega-resort - not anything like the Polynesian.

I agree about doing something to rid the place of the pool hoppers.

We're going to Tikifest this year (that took care of the high room rate which would be my only complaint.) Can't wait to take a few tiki-torch lit walks with my sweetie:love:

Why don't we get a name / website / EMAIL / address and start writing letters to management abut pool hoppers ? I would be glad to if I knew who to contact.

Thanks

Patti:banana: :banana: ( I just looove the banana guy ! )

I'm with you Patti O'furniture. If the Poly took care of the pool hoppers, I'd even be inclined to try there again. The pool hoppers were the "straw that broke the camels back" for me the last time we stay there, but my daughter talks of wanting to go back. Let me know if you find a name or e-mail.

oh, yes, yes, yes! who do we write? I will write and recruit others to write as well. Really, I mean it is said that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. . .

Perhaps discreet words to the management while on property would help as well. I don't mean to start a brawl or whatever, I would never confront another guest but perhaps management would be willing to ask for resort ID if someone was obviously out of place and bragging about it?

I don't know, I just want to be able to find a chair and am hoping my adventurous pool slide loving kids and DH get to use the pool we paid for!

Why is it that people complain about having to walk outdoors from a longhouse to the GCH at the Polynesian, but you never hear the same complaint about the Grand Floridian?

I do not know what is "Brady Bunch" about the Polynesian. Can someone please explain? The decor is not '70's. It is tropical / island style. When the Brady's went to Hawaii, I think they actualy stayed at the Hilton Hawaian Village, a high rise mega-resort - not anything like the Polynesian.

I agree about doing something to rid the place of the pool hoppers.

We're going to Tikifest this year (that took care of the high room rate which would be my only complaint.) Can't wait to take a few tiki-torch lit walks with my sweetie:love:

They stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki and the travel channel had a special where most of the cast went back and retraced their steps. Here's a link below.

http://starbulletin.com/2003/07/03/features/story1.html

As for why some people refer to the Brady Bunch when talking about the Polynesian? I guess because they think the resort is still styled after the 1970's. In reality there's nothing left of the place that's original from those days. It's been through several rehabs since it's opened. Maybe it's the color scheme or something. One never knows, but I laugh when I hear that saying though. I'll be at tikifest as well and look forward to meeting you!:thumbsup2

I think the problem is that people don't like the fact that the resort is comprised of several small buildings that force you to walk outside to get to the lobby and central areas. Many people like being able to stay one big main building where everything is located when they stay at a hotel. It's not so much the Polynesian's fault when it is raining, but if you were at a resort like the YC/BC, AKL, WL, or the Contemporary tower when it was raining you wouldn't necessarily have to go outside in the rain to get to the main lobby areas of your resort because there arent multiple lodge buildings. The Grand Floridian has this same problem, although at least there you have the (very expensive) option of staying in the Main Building if you book Royal Palm Club concierge.

Thanks for the link disneyfan67. I am planning a family vacation to Hawaii for next year and would love to see that Travel Channel special! Maybe they will re-run it sometime.

We will not arrive at the Polynesian until the 31st, so we will miss the "official" Tikifest event on Sunday. Maybe their will be a lapu lapu get-together in the Tambu Lounge:)

Why don't we get a name / website / EMAIL / address and start writing letters to management abut pool hoppers ? I would be glad to if I knew who to contact.

Thanks

Patti:banana: :banana: ( I just looove the banana guy ! )

There may be a few pool hoppers at the Poly but the biggest problem with the Poly pool is it is just too small a pool for the number guests who stay at the Poly.
There are 853 guest rooms and Suites at the Poly and the Poly pool only holds
110 guests.

PoolRules-1.jpg

There are1,504 guest rooms and Suites at All Star Music. The quiet pool alone at All Star Muic holds 118 guests.

asm_14.jpg

I do not know off hand how many guests the main pool at Music holds but that pool is at least about 3 times the size of the Music quiet pool.

That means that even though Muisc has about 2 times the # of guest rooms ( a little less actually) of the Poly
Music has about 3 times the pool capacity of the Poly.

JMHO

But to use the pools at the All Stars, you would actually have to stay there :eek: - (Blech! Stayed 1 night and never again!) There is absolutely no comparison from a resort experience perspective between the Polynesian and the All Stars IMO.

But to use the pools at the All Stars, you would actually have to stay there :eek: - (Blech! Stayed 1 night and never again!) There is absolutely no comparison from a resort experience perspective between the Polynesian and the All Stars IMO.

I was just comparing how small the Poly pool really is.
Our family did swim at the Poly pool in the 1970's and 1980's before FW had a pool and FW RV guests were allowed to swim at the other resort pools.
I think the old Poly pool had more guest capacity than the new pool does.

As to your remark about All Star Music-well , everyone has there own opinion.

I happen to enjoy actually swimming in a pool, & not having a problem finding a nice lounge chair to relax on by the pool. When I stay at All Star Music there is always a lot of room in the pool and lots of chairs and lounges to choose from.

I travel several times a year for pleasure and often stay at 4 star hotels. We can well afford to stay at any of Disney's resorts . I have tried all levels of the resorts at Disney and I have found that I enjoy staying at All Star Music the most.

Different guests enjoy different experiences when staying at Disney.

I just happen to enjoy the whimsical and fun theming at All Star Music.

Have fun at Disney wherever you choose to stay!:wizard:

oh, yes, yes, yes! who do we write? I will write and recruit others to write as well. Really, I mean it is said that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. . .

Perhaps discreet words to the management while on property would help as well. I don't mean to start a brawl or whatever, I would never confront another guest but perhaps management would be willing to ask for resort ID if someone was obviously out of place and bragging about it?

I don't know, I just want to be able to find a chair and am hoping my adventurous pool slide loving kids and DH get to use the pool we paid for!

A few of us emailed Poly managment last year but I never heard anything back. If you all decide to send letters or emails let me know because I will be more than thrilled to write again since we asre staying there in October.

Just so you all know, I am reporting all negative posters to the Poly Police. Expect a visit from Tikiman and the Mouse dressed in a grass skirt for a good old fashion 'ohana beating. :)

We love the Poly. Our only gripes are the lack of hot tubs and that the resort could use one more good restaurant.

I definitely understand people looking at the theme/decor as vintage 1970's. It does seem to call up a certain the Brady's go to Hawaii feel.

It is amazing how first impressions can stay with you. My DW refuses to try the BWI - despite my pleas to give it a chance - based on nothing more than her brief walk around the grounds. :confused3 For those who based their opinion on only a visit, I'd say give it a shot if it wasn't so expensive. At the prices they get, you have to be sure you are going to like it.

when i stayed there in 2002 (i think) they had the bus stop on a small set of stairs right in the middle of the roadway where busses went through on 1 side and cars on the other.....i was so upset about it-there were little kids and i was so nervous someone was going to get hit
since then they have changed the bus stop to be more like the other resorts
that was my 1 big complaint-i really couldnt believe a deluxe hotel didnt have a better and safer bus stop and it still is amazing it took disney so many years to change it
other than that the place was great

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter