Anyone here try NOT using the DDP? How did your costs go?

The reason it still works for you is you have THREE kids that are still true Disney kids. They are a gold mine when it comes to the DDP. Once they age up, I think you might find the math no longer works.

That may be true, we'll probably re-evaluate when that does happen. But mine are the type that will sit through a meal and say, "Whelp, I've filled up one leg, time to fill up the other," and put down another plate of food.

The reason it still works for you is you have THREE kids that are still true Disney kids. They are a gold mine when it comes to the DDP. Once they age up, I think you might find the math no longer works.
Definitely. @compshu is in the DDP "sweet spot". Honestly, he'll be in the sweet spot even after his oldest ages up.

Not doing the dining plan here. I'm traveling with my husband and two adult sons. I made the hotel, flight, and Fastpass arrangements. I've talked to them about meals, they don't want to plan, they want to "wing it". As much as I know we'd enjoy some of the nicer restaurants, I don't like that you have to make the ADR, and get charged if you change your mind. I have the smallest appetite in the group, so I'm happy eating at F&W booths for three days. And I'm not making plans for the guys that they may decide they don't want to go along with. I'm sure it will work out fine, we've never done a dining plan, it seems too restrictive to me.

Without knowing the restaurants/meals OP is planning for, I think it can be difficult to guess how much will be spent on dining. I do agree with not buying bottled water - never a good use of a snack credit.
Agree with PP - take a look at where and what you will want to eat and you should be able to get a pretty good idea of whether the dining plan will be good for your party.

Everytime I've gone to the trouble of pricing out the meals family, our out-of-pocket cost ends up about 80% of the cost of the Dining Plan so $800 would be my guess as well.

Well guys, I wanted to check back and give my results.

We spent approximately $700 on food and snacks on our stay. A few factors:

We got to the resort after midnight on the first night. And we left at noon on our last day there. So even though I paid for 5 nights (and the DDP would have provided 5 days worth of food) we really only had 4 full days. On our fifth (last) day, we actually didn't eat at all until we got to the airport at 2 p.m.

Also, in our time this trip, we only had 3 table service meals, the rest were counter service and snacks. I anticipated this to be the case ahead of time.

So, again, like everyone said, the many factors involved could make the DDP worthwhile, depending on your eating habits and length of stay. For us on this visit, that just wasn't the case, and I'm glad I tried this little experiment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter