Anyone here try NOT using the DDP? How did your costs go?

Supernootz

Earning My Ears
We (DW, DD,12 and myself) will soon be visiting for our fifth time. We have always used the DDP but I was often left wondering if we made out better or worse than we would have by paying out of pocket as we go.

The fact that you eat more than you really should when using the DDP doesn't help the waistline either.

Our stay this time is 6 nights, although we arrive at 11 pm on the first night, and on the day we leave, we have to leave the resort by about 1 p.m.

Anyway, the cost of the DDP with 1 table and 1 QS for us would have been approx. $1000. I elected to try and forgo that this time and pay as we go (with the credit card linked to the magic bands, there is really no inconvenience).

We will probably average 1 TS and 1 QS meal a day. I'm not much for snacks, but I used to use my snack credits for bottled water, which I of course will be purchasing now.

What do you all think as far as what this will cost compared to the $1000 they wanted for the DDP?

Last January I kept track. We spent 1495 for 14 nights. Five guests. Three adults, two kids. The dining plan, with tips would have been about 3500.

Everyone is different, and for us, every trip is different.

Sometimes we save money and sometimes we don't.

The absolutely best way to figure it out is to calculate where you will probably eat and what you will most likely order and pound out the numbers.

I used it for the first time this summer. Normally my family has not used it. I personally think we spent more on the DDP than we would if we actually paid cash. That is because at QS restaurants, we were given dessert every time, and I never like getting desserts at QS. Also, at some TS restaurants, I will get a dessert or an appetizer, but I also didn't want the most expensive thing on the menu. I don't think my family and I will use the DDP again. I just want to point out also, that tip is not included in the DDP at TS restaurants. Make sure you have cash in your pocket for the tip.

Thanks, guys, good responses and on par with what I suspected! Anyone else, feel free to also chime in. I'll also try to remember after my trip to come back here and post up my results.

but I used to use my snack credits for bottled water, which I of course will be purchasing now.

You don't have to purchase the bottled water. You can get free ice water at any QS location and you don't have to wait in line. Just go to the pick-up counter. If they don't have some already out (they usually do), just ask. If you're worried about the taste, grab some of the Crystal Lite or other brand flavorings you add to water before you leave home and just add those to it. We use Brita bottles to help filter out any off taste.

My guess is you'll spend around $800 out of pocket unless you're really big eaters. I was also going to recommend not buying bottled water.

I don't no how anyone can really make the DDP cost effective unless you are with small kids and eating at a character buffet every day. Most figure the DDP at $65 is a cost of 40$ for TS and 20for CS and $5 for snack. So if you look at the places you'll be eating and crunch the numbers you can get a better idea. I agree it's convient but as you pointed out so is charging to you MB.

What else I think people need to consider is plans can change. We were on the DDP once when the stomach flu ran through our party and it wreck havoc on my dining plans. I was scrambling to make sure no credit was lsft behind at the end of our trip. A stress I would not have by eating OOP.

My guess is you'll spend around $800 out of pocket unless you're really big eaters. I was also going to recommend not buying bottled water.
Without knowing the restaurants/meals OP is planning for, I think it can be difficult to guess how much will be spent on dining. I do agree with not buying bottled water - never a good use of a snack credit.
Agree with PP - take a look at where and what you will want to eat and you should be able to get a pretty good idea of whether the dining plan will be good for your party.

I know I spent more money without the plan than with, and I felt like I was hemorrhaging money.. You need to do the math and be very honest about how you all will likely eat. Will you want dessert? Do you have a snack during the day? Are you price driven? Do you have a beverage?

I have not used the dining plan since 2007. It does not work for me. It works for some, and some just like it.

There are actually very few parties that can save substantial money using the plan.

I won't buy bottled water either, but there are some people who insist on it. I know a few folks who won't drink water unless it is commercially bottled, filtered water, and some who will drink only bottled spring water (they have to order their own at a place like WDW which has mostly Dasani, which is tap water with extra filtering.)

I used to HATE the DDP, but I've learned to love it during Food & Wine Festival. Now that you get 2 snacks per day and no dessert at quick service, it's game changing. Some of the snacks at the kiosks at F&W are over $7!!! I also have 6 year old twins and we tend to do character meals and buffets. Last year we did H&V Fantasmic and that's one of the best deals on DDP.

That being said, without little kids and the need to have a "rest" with meals, I think forgetting the DDP works! We usually throw some waters and light snacks in our backpacks, whether we do DDP or not. I would recommend doing table service for breakfast when it's cheaper. I honestly think either way works. It's not like you'll be losing out on hundreds of dollars without the plan. Have a great trip!

This last trip I had free dining, which I upgraded to deluxe dining for about $500 (1-adult, 1-child for 9 nights). I totalled up our receipts (less the tip since that would be a wash whether it's dining plan or not) and our food bills were about $1600. So in our case, because of the free dining promo, we did save. Had we paid outright for the deluxe dining plan, we would've had nominal savings.

The question is, would I have eaten the same way if I were paying OOP? That's the current struggle I'm having as I debate what to do for our next trip. I can definitely say there were times that I ordered an appetizer that I would not have, if I weren't on the plan. I also had a lot of snack credits left over at the end of our trip (about 30) that I got take home snacks for, which is fine, except I felt like I didn't really get to try some of the great snack options during our trip because I was not hungry between meals.

less the tip since that would be a wash whether it's dining plan or not

I disagree. For my family of four Disney adults, it does make a difference and is far from a wash. If we're on the plan, that's FOUR desserts on the table. Considering only two of us really eat desserts, that's three too many. We prefer water, but DH and I MIGHt order coffee, so that's at least two drinks we don't need. When you subtract those from any TS meal, that's an extra $5 in tip per meal we don't have to pay. Take away the coffee and the more expensive entrees to make the plan worth it, and that number goes up even more. That's an extra snack a day or over the course of a week, that extra tip money pays for a QS meal for all of us.

I disagree. For my family of four Disney adults, it does make a difference and is far from a wash. If we're on the plan, that's FOUR desserts on the table. Considering only two of us really eat desserts, that's three too many. We prefer water, but DH and I MIGHt order coffee, so that's at least two drinks we don't need. When you subtract those from any TS meal, that's an extra $5 in tip per meal we don't have to pay. Take away the coffee and the more expensive entrees to make the plan worth it, and that number goes up even more. That's an extra snack a day or over the course of a week, that extra tip money pays for a QS meal for all of us.

I agree with what you are saying, which was the 2nd half of my post in considering how I would order if not on the dining plan. But, assuming I would order the $1600 worth of food that I got on the dining plan, then it would be a wash.

Like you, OP, my husband and I always used the free dining plan which coincided with our visits. We are only 2 adults and we decided to forgo the ddp last year and see what happened. I would say it is a win/win for us:)
We ate where we wanted to and when we wanted to. There are some great QS places to eat. We did set up 3 reservations as we have a few favorites that we love. However,only 3 res's for a 10 day visit was not much. We loved the freedom to eat when we were actually hungry, not when it was set up l80 days in advance! We found that we shared several meals, and were satisfied that way. We did not have to leave tips, which saved money. We also did not eat desserts, but had treats when we felt like it. We always passed up on the treats because we were too full or waiting for an adr to come up. As you can guess, we love not using the ddp and will not go back to it.
However, our daughter and family (2 big teenage boys, 1 preteen girl) used the fdp and loved it. They ran out of credits because the boys ate so much:)
So, I guess it depends on your family and their eating habits to really know what to do. I think you will like not having to plan and hurry to reservations, even if you are not hungry.

DDP is convenience vs savings IMO...and we just don't find it convenient. More work to make sure use credits allotted vs just paying as we go.

We usually only get the DDP when it's "free". I think we paid for it once years ago.

You are in a bad spot for the DDP with a tween girl who probably is outgrowing character meals and eats like a kid rather than an adult. Something to keep in mind, most TS places will allow anyone to order off the kids menu, even adults. At 12 my DD still ordered off the kids menu when it was available (not a buffet or fixed price meal). She just didn't have the appetite or palate for adult WDW meals. Paying for the DDP for my tween/teen "Disney Adult" would have been a colossal waste of money. We stopped going to buffets for the same reason. I couldn't stomach paying $40-$50 for her to eat fruit and pasta.

If you plan on going to buffets and you'll buy 3 refillable mugs anyway then it *might* be worth it. Here is an up to date list of all the buffets and AYCE restaurant prices: http://www.disboards.com/threads/buffet-character-shows-aycte-pricing.3108466/ .

If I were to add up the cost of everything my family eats during the course of one week in WDW, between TS, QS, and snacks, it would total way more than what we spent on the DDP. Now, a lot of people say the DDP changes the way the look at menus, and that if they were paying out of pocket, they wouldn't order half as much as they do on the DDP. The same is true about us, but only for financial reason. We find real value in the DDP, and because we have it we are able to enjoy entrees that we wouldn't normally order, dessert with every meal, all of those snacks saved up for the F&G booths, and some character meals. We use the DDP because we enjoy all of the food, in the end we spend less, and it's also nice knowing that it's already paid for.

If I were to add up the cost of everything my family eats during the course of one week in WDW, between TS, QS, and snacks, it would total way more than what we spent on the DDP. Now, a lot of people say the DDP changes the way the look at menus, and that if they were paying out of pocket, they wouldn't order half as much as they do on the DDP. The same is true about us, but only for financial reason. We find real value in the DDP, and because we have it we are able to enjoy entrees that we wouldn't normally order, dessert with every meal, all of those snacks saved up for the F&G booths, and some character meals. We use the DDP because we enjoy all of the food, in the end we spend less, and it's also nice knowing that it's already paid for.

The reason it still works for you is you have THREE kids that are still true Disney kids. They are a gold mine when it comes to the DDP. Once they age up, I think you might find the math no longer works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter