Anyone find out if a child's AP can be used for discounts?

thelittlemermaid

<font color=purple>My life was forever changed whe
I have been searching the net to see if I could find anything, but I haven't.

I remember reading that someone emailed Disney to find out if a child's AP could be used for AP discounts. Just wondering if they have heard anything.

I have read on these boards that yes - child's ap can be used for discounts- but a CM told me the AP holder must be the lead person on the ressie.

To get an AP discount for a room, someone in your party must be an AP holder. I've been an AP holder for 10 years. This does include a child, as my daughter has gotten a room discount because we purchase an AP for our grandson when he travels with us, and she has gone with him without us too. HOWEVER, now with the new DDE (dining discount) passholders can get a years membership for 20% off of dining for a fee of $50. The AP holders MUST be 21 years old. So if you want the dining discount perk, you need to purchase an adult pass. Mostly it depends if you want some of the perks under a child pass, or ALL of the perks under an adults' pass.

n2mm said:
To get an AP discount for a room, someone in your party must be an AP holder. I've been an AP holder for 10 years. This does include a child, as my daughter has gotten a room discount because we purchase an AP for our grandson when he travels with us, and she has gone with him without us too. HOWEVER, now with the new DDE (dining discount) passholders can get a years membership for 20% off of dining for a fee of $50. The AP holders MUST be 21 years old. So if you want the dining discount perk, you need to purchase an adult pass. Mostly it depends if you want some of the perks under a child pass, or ALL of the perks under an adults' pass.

n2mm....Is there a place that I can read up on the dining plan? DH and I were talking about the dining plan that comes with a package, but if we could save that way plus on our room, I think in the end the AP would pay for it's self.

The AP rate affects everyone in your party, right? What I mean is, if you got the dining option, everyone can benefit from it, not just the AP holder?

Thanks!!

I've sent 3 emails in two weeks and other than the post saying they got it and will get back to me..nada. So, for now I'll have to believe the email I got in January still holds true..that just one person in the room needs an AP, and they may get up to three rooms.

CheapMom said:
I have read on these boards that yes - child's ap can be used for discounts- but a CM told me the AP holder must be the lead person on the ressie.
So, if you have a child's AP, you can use it to get an AP discount on a room? If the ressie must be in the lead persons name (child, in this case for discount) can that work? Can you make a ressie in a child's name? You don't have to be 18 or older to make a ressie?

I ask because I would only buy an AP for room discounts. We only make it Orlando once a year. If it is possible, I would definitely buy a child's to save some $.

So, if you have a child's AP, you can use it to get an AP discount on a room? If the ressie must be in the lead persons name (child, in this case for discount) can that work? Can you make a ressie in a child's name? You don't have to be 18 or older to make a ressie?

The person making the ressie does not have to have the AP. One person listed on the ressie must have the AP at check in. We have had a child's AP on numerous occasions to get the discount. The dining plan appears to be the wrench. (see thelittlemermaid's post). Doris, I'll be watching for your post when you get that email. :)

Thanks! Now to decide if I will actually save $ on a ressie to make the child's AP worth it...tick tock, tick tock!

another question...does it need to be the premium AP or just the regular?

What the CM told me is - no- a person under 18 can't be the lead name on the ressie because that is the person that enters an agreement (contract) with Disney. This is contradicting what others are saying and I tend to beleive these other Disers. CMs get it wrong quite often.

CheapMom said:
What the CM told me is - no- a person under 18 can't be the lead name on the ressie because that is the person that enters an agreement (contract) with Disney. This is contradicting what others are saying and I tend to beleive these other Disers. CMs get it wrong quite often.
That is correct, a person under 18 cannot be the lead name. However, you don't have to be the lead name to use an AP..you just have to be in one of the rooms. I often get 3 rooms, and I'm not the lead name on all three.

I haven't seen anything official that says you can't use the child's AP "loophole" BUT:

1) You can't buy DDE with a child's AP
2) Will cheap airfare motivate a quick adult only weekend trip? Many of us have been seduced with one or more of SW's $110 R/T specials.

Well I called the morning ap codes came out for 4/17 and made ressie I told him I did'nt have Ap and my daughter did,and he told me I did'nt have to get a Ap because her name is on the ressie because she is in the room with me.

Finally..I got a phone call. It came form Jennifer Gallager, who coincidentally, is the same person I talked with when we had a problem at POP.

She is going to follow it up with an email, so I can copy and paste, but she says that the children's AP does not indicate a difference, and it is not. YOu may use either AP for your room discount. She did say that they will be following up on the other person's email that was posted, to see if they can track down that name, and so retraining. She said the CM's have so much information to learn, that she understands they sometimes give the wrong info, but the best place to get the correct info is directly from the corporate office, which is where guest services sent my notes (all three of them). She does not know why the other poster got the info she did, but stated it is incorrect, and she will follow up with an email.
She is also looking into the DDE card, ..oh..she just called back again. It's a Disney Dining Experience criteria, that you must be 21 to own the card. So we all knew that, so nothing new there.

This is VERY good news! Thanks for posting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter