Anyone Else Not Like New Orleans?

She didn't say NO sucked. She said she didn't like it and asked if anyone else felt the same. :rolleyes:

Apparently, NO people are super sensitive.

You dont have to be rude........I dont think we are sensitive. But someone who comes to your city and does NOTHING that a typical tourist does and kind of goes off the beaten path when it comes to hotels, restaurants, attractions and then says "well, that was no good"......well, thats just nuts! I just know that this city has SO much more to offer than Bourbon Street and the French Market but it didnt sound like the OP did any of that . Just make a real concerted effort before coming on a message board and saying how terrible something is.

TheAviator said:
I like it but only as a single person that likes to party ;) I don't consider it a family friendly place at all really and it would not be on the list at all for a family vacation IMO. Now a guys trip to party, absolutely. I do like it all in all, I just think its very neat and unique its almost like going to another planet, I like to watch all the freaks on Bourbon, but that's just me.

What I do remember from my trip as a kid is that at least once a day we saw a guy whip it out and pee on the street. And some of these guys looked like they were on their way to a business meeting in a three- piece suit. The locals also told my parents to have me back in the hotel by 3 pm because that is when things really became adult oriented. I don't know if it is still like that, but I was there in the early 90's.

I didn't like New Orleans either and while I enjoyed some of the experiences, it didn't make me want to visit over and over again.

We went to the aquarium. We ate at Pat O'Briens. We walked Bourbon Street. We took a vampire walk. We stayed at the Hotel Monteleone.

I can see why people would like NO, I just don't. I think the OP might be trying to express the same thing.

SnowWhite607 said:
You dont have to be rude........I dont think we are sensitive. But someone who comes to your city and does NOTHING that a typical tourist does and kind of goes off the beaten path when it comes to hotels, restaurants, attractions and then says "well, that was no good"......well, thats just nuts! I just know that this city has SO much more to offer than Bourbon Street and the French Market but it didnt sound like the OP did any of that . Just make a real concerted effort before coming on a message board and saying how terrible something is.

Oh my gosh! How many things must a visitor do to be given the right to say they do or don't like your city? Crazy.

I was born in St. Bernard parish (borders New Orleans on the east side) and now live in Jefferson parish about 10 minutes from downtown. I am not a drinker and not much for crowds so I don't go to Bourbon Street at night. I could spend the entire day in Jackson Square just listening to the street musicians and soaking up the atmosphere or spend a lazy afternoon shopping on Magazine Street. There are areas that I avoid because I don't feel safe but I am sure that is the case in most large cities.
I recently went to NYC for the first time. I am glad I went and enjoyed it but it is just not for me and probably will not go back but I totally see the appeal to most people.

I think our best restaurants are little mom and pop places that are mostly known only to the locals. The best macaroni and cheese, gumbo and stuffed peppers I have ever eaten is at a little restaurant in Chalmette called Rocky and Carlo's. Chalmette is just a few minutes from downtown.

As everyone has said, it really does take lots of planning and you just need to know the things to avoid that will not appeal to you. I have family members who will not miss a Mardi Gras downtown and then there is me who who rather go to the much smaller parades in surrounding areas because I can't deal with the crowds.

I was born in St. Bernard parish (borders New Orleans on the east side) and now live in Jefferson parish about 10 minutes from downtown. I am not a drinker and not much for crowds so I don't go to Bourbon Street at night. I could spend the entire day in Jackson Square just listening to the street musicians and soaking up the atmosphere or spend a lazy afternoon shopping on Magazine Street. There are areas that I avoid because I don't feel safe but I am sure that is the case in most large cities.
I recently went to NYC for the first time. I am glad I went and enjoyed it but it is just not for me and probably will not go back but I totally see the appeal to most people.

I think our best restaurants are little mom and pop places that are mostly known only to the locals. The best macaroni and cheese, gumbo and stuffed peppers I have ever eaten is at a little restaurant in Chalmette called Rocky and Carlo's. Chalmette is just a few minutes from downtown.

As everyone has said, it really does take lots of planning and you just need to know the things to avoid that will not appeal to you. I have family members who will not miss a Mardi Gras downtown and then there is me who who rather go to the much smaller parades in surrounding areas because I can't deal with the crowds.

Ahhhhh, mac and cheese from Rocky and Carlo's! YUM!!!:banana:

Lol, not showing that Nola happy happy! I've never heard anyone told they have no right to like or not like a city. Totally a hoot!

Or, god forbid, post it on a MESSAGE BOARD!

Lol, not showing that Nola happy happy! I've never heard anyone told they have no right to like or not like a city. Totally a hoot!

Show me where I said in writing that she had NO RIGHT TO NOT LIKE NEW ORLEANS. Please. Now.

I said she was crazy to come on a board and say she didnt like it when she really didnt do anything "new Orleans like" but as far as the words YOU HAVE NO RIGHT, uh uh lady.:confused3 You;re dreaming.

I like it but only as a single person that likes to party ;) I don't consider it a family friendly place at all really and it would not be on the list at all for a family vacation IMO. Now a guys trip to party, absolutely. I do like it all in all, I just think its very neat and unique its almost like going to another planet, I like to watch all the freaks on Bourbon, but that's just me.

I would consider NOLA to be family friendly. I was born and raised there. Growing up I didn't spend much time in the French Quarter. Just like now - I live 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and never go to the beach.

Oh my gosh! How many things must a visitor do to be given the right to say they do or don't like your city? Crazy.

Maybe it was the wording of the title of this thread that got us defensive.

HAHA ! Silly Granny , you are a hoot too . If you read back I clearly explained my issue is with thread. : ) ... I don't love certain places, but I don't join a group inviting large amounts of strangers to discuss all the reasons we all dislike said area.

I also said, yes the FQ can be stinky and sticky and there are a bunch of drunks , as many have mentioned. Cant deny that fact one bit . If she doesn't like it , fine, I get it . I find it silly though that she did very little , came at the worst time, Super Bowl and Mardi Gras , doesn't like basil and didn't get to do much of anything she wanted to do because she allowed herself to be outvoted by family members . I wouldn't have enjoyed that vacation very much either lol, but wouldn't have started to discuss all I dislike about the area because the city didn't have a ton to do with why I didn't enjoy my vacation .

I would have started a thread complaining about my family members who took over my vacation , only to be told in thread by disers that I should have grabbed my husband and stuck to original plans instead of hanging out longer on Bourbon than I wanted to . : )

Happy Lundi Gras yall !! I'm hoping to catch a few beads tomorrow with friends between rain drops . Rain Rain go away !

And any NYer would tell you to avoid the touristy stuff if you want to see what NYC is really all about. And if you didn't like NYC, no one would care.

And then you get nasty with Granny for no reason. Tell her what to do with her comment? Your attitude is giving NO more of a bad vibe than anything anyone here has posted.

No kidding. I do touristy at disney. Otherwise, whether Paris, Boston or Nola give me a local perspective. I still can't wait to go back next January with friends.

I've only done NYC as a teen on a choir trip, lol, so would love to see the real NYC also. :)

Omg I got hate mail from her! Over a message board post! That is crazy! No idea people did that kind if thing!

Not nice, snowy!

You know, I think if OP had posted "I had a miserable time in New Orleans" and put it down to eating basil and being dragged to places she didn't want to go none of us Louisiana folks would've had had a problem. But her OP was very negative towards NO based on feeling sick because she ate basil and because got dragged around, which really wasn't fair to the city, so, of course we rushed to its defense, because we love that place; imperfect though it is, it is culturally unique in all the world and somewhat magical to us.

snarlingcoyote said:
You know, I think if OP had posted "I had a miserable time in New Orleans" and put it down to eating basil and being dragged to places she didn't want to go none of us Louisiana folks would've had had a problem. But her OP was very negative towards NO based on feeling sick because she ate basil and because got dragged around, which really wasn't fair to the city, so of course, we rushed to its defense, because we love that place; imperfect though it is, it is culturally unique in all the world and somewhat magical to us.

True. It was poorly stated. But everyone has the right to an opinion. :) her opinion was far nicer than the pm I got... So crazy defensive is just plain crazy.

Pointing out the things missed and your love for it is far different. :)

Lol, but I'm not supposed to have any business posting!

Big difference in the tone of a lot of posts on this thread. And that tone is what makes the difference. If so people didn't immediately get offended and accusatory maybe this whole thread wouldn't have taken the turn it did.

Big difference in the tone of a lot of posts on this thread. And that tone is what makes the difference. If so people didn't immediately get offended and accusatory maybe this whole thread wouldn't have taken the turn it did.

I think some of us apparently got more offended than others LOL, but def gets your back up when 10 posts in someone starts talking smack about Katrina refugees . That is where threads about Nola go alot .. if you aren't from area, you prob would not notice or even care.

I think some of us apparently got more offended than others LOL, but def gets your back up when 10 posts in someone starts talking smack about Katrina refugees . That is where threads about Nola go alot .. if you aren't from area, you prob would not notice or even care.

Completely understand but that comment didn't come from OP or Granny, yet they seem to be the ones who are taking a thrashing in this thread for simply stating their opinion. I think many Katrina refugees got a bad rap simply because they were stuck in the middle -- no where to go, no money to get there and no government backing. They were hung out to dry. Unfortunately, I also believe that many were angry about that, and rightfully so, and may not have projected the best attitude (again, rightfully so). After having just been through Sandy in this area, I can completely see the pain, hurt, anger and despair people have been dealing with. That alone causes them to be someone other than they usually are at times. As much as this area is still devastated by Sandy, we are only fortunate enough to have had the help and support we do because you've all gone before us and, unfortunately, been the guinea pigs.

Completely understand but that comment didn't come from OP or Granny, yet they seem to be the ones who are taking a thrashing in this thread for simply stating their opinion. I think many Katrina refugees got a bad rap simply because they were stuck in the middle -- no where to go, no money to get there and no government backing. They were hung out to dry. Unfortunately, I also believe that many were angry about that, and rightfully so, and may not have projected the best attitude (again, rightfully so). After having just been through Sandy in this area, I can completely see the pain, hurt, anger and despair people have been dealing with. That alone causes them to be someone other than they usually are at times. As much as this area is still devastated by Sandy, we are only fortunate enough to have had the help and support we do because you've all gone before us and, unfortunately, been the guinea pigs.

: ) all above is true , some deserve the rap , they act like that all the time, some were like you said in limbo and then others should not be lumped into either category .

Granny and Snow seem to be in the middle of their own issue lol , I had to go back to read and figure out how or what that was about. As far as OP , quite frankly I will continue to still think it is a bit crazy to start a thread about an area that you don't like , but ... blah blah blah , etc etc etc.

Stay calm and don't eat the basil folks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter