Anyone else dying inside from the exchange rate?!

we were at .81 when I paid off my vacation iv been watching the rate and watching myself losing my spending money but we have gone up the last couple days .77 so im hoping we can hit .80 and ill swap my money over but yea its awful

That's because the bank tacks on an additional exchange fee of 2-3% on top of the given rate :(

Yes but many have trip insurance thru their CC, like us thru TD. That's where I'm racking up the biggest bill. For spending $ maybe, but if I want cancelation insurance & medical then airfare, tix & hotel all go on my CAD $ CC.

I regret not paying in full last July when I booked the WDW trip. I am keeping a close eye on the exchange rates which will hopefully go up a little bit more before the election. It sucks but I am looking at it as a once in a lifetime trip for my granddaughter's 5th birthday.
I hope you have a wonderful trip anyway. I have DVC and I'm considering selling. Was going to buy AP this year and try to get 3 trips in, but sadly, not with the exchange rate the way it is.

Hopefully the exchange rate gets better for you. Your granddaughters 5th birthday will be magical at least. And she'll always have her Nana to thank for it. :)

I hope you have a wonderful trip anyway. I have DVC and I'm considering selling. Was going to buy AP this year and try to get 3 trips in, but sadly, not with the exchange rate the way it is.

Hopefully the exchange rate gets better for you. Your granddaughters 5th birthday will be magical at least. And she'll always have her Nana to thank for it. :)

Thanks, AM! I am sure it will be magical!!!

We cancelled our cruise recently mostly because of the exchange rate. And being on mat leave, we haven't saved enough. The good thing about canceling, was when we originally booked on board in jan 2013 we were pretty close to par... So I made money when I got the deposit back! Haha... $325 charged in 2013 and $445 returned last month.

We really want to go next year for our 10 year anniversary so hoping it gets a bit better. I usually buy a bit each payday, but we haven't been buying much this year.

Went to the bank yesterday to change just a little bit more (just in case) and I'm happy to report the rate was slightly up! However, as soon as I told the bank teller I wanted to change my money into US$ she gave a big sigh...I just said "I know...don't worry, I was prepared for the number" :rolleyes: She mentioned how a lot of people are giving her grief over the difference and how she hadn't been cussed at so many times in years! Poor girl...If you are at the bank doing any exchanges, be extra nice to the person on the other side of the counter, they probably need an extra smile or two! :goodvibes

The exchange rate will affect how and where is spend our money. I just go for the weather! DW and kids like to shop. I can see more pool days planned!

We just returned home, coming from South Africa our exchange rate was. U$1-00 equals R14-00 South African Rands! It was insanely expensive so it will be our last trip for many years! On the positive side you all should come to South Africa for holiday, it is becoming cheaper by the day for tourists!!

The exchange rate will affect how and where is spend our money. I just go for the weather! DW and kids like to shop. I can see more pool days planned!

Hi I am with you here
I am looking forward to the weather because I just know by the time March gets here I will be
willing to spend anything to get alitle warmth and sunshine. My plans this year are for 1-2 park days and the rest spent at the resort by the pool.
I'm still trying to figure out if I have the stamina to do two parks in one day and save my one day ticket for another year. I will be going to Disney Springs (DTD) but more to see the changes than shop and maybe take in a movie. Last spring I increased my "Christmas Time Fund" at work and thank goodness I did because the exchange rate is going to eat up my entire xmas fund this year. (DVC Dues).
I am Definitely planning a more relaxed vacation this year.

Hugs Mel

we were at .81 when I paid off my vacation iv been watching the rate and watching myself losing my spending money but we have gone up the last couple days .77 so im hoping we can hit .80 and ill swap my money over but yea its awful

Yeah, luckily we paid off our November trip back in April when things were a bit better. I can't see us doing another US trip soon, unless the CDN$ perks up some. We'll likely stay home next year and do a few projects around the house that we've had on hold for a while. On the bright side Mexico is a viable option, financially, and I recently saw a pretty deluxe 13 day tour of Italy for about the same price as our 7 day Disney trip is costing this year. So there are options out there.

I am looking forward to the weather because I just know by the time March gets here I will be
willing to spend anything to get alitle warmth and sunshine.

Lol, we did this very thing in 2013...no we weren't gonna go, no way not this time. Then March came along with a week of heavy snow and blizzards settled in. Had to push the cars our of drifts-twice! By Friday PM, we had a week at WDW booked and we left Saturday. US Customs asked about the last minute plans but once we explained why, the officer just said that he wished he could do the same!

But the bank is still charging 1.345 :confused3. I never look at the exchange rate reports. The only thing that matters is what the banks are charging. & it sure isn't 1.20ish.

This!!! Got $605 from the bank last weekend and it posted at $815!! ugh...this will be the last stateside trip for a long time. Our typical vacation is Beach club, dining and 9 day hoppers for a 10 day stay. for almost the same price this year we are at CBR...a mod for BC prices :( I'm a little depressed, but still happy I will be in Disney!!!! We checked into Westjet vacations for our next year vaca and are looking to book Paradisus family suite in Mexico...for CHEAPER than this vacation!! ALL inclusive, private hot tub, exclusive family suite pools and a personal staff member whom we can contact for ANYTHING via walkie talkie...yes please!

This year..not so much, but future, yes. We went on the Fantasy in May (got a great GT rate) and are heading soon to DL- the plan for this year was the DL trip, but the cruise kinda just happened (we kept the costs down as much as we could- aeroplan flights, limited spending, no excursions etc) and this DL trip is going to be as cheap as we can make it too (cheap allegiant air flights, airmiles for the park hoppers, renting a car for the price of a shuttle and buying groceries for breakfast and lunch) with our only big splurges being a Halloween party and possibly Fantasmic BB package, although I'm really throwing around if the BB package is worth the crazy exchange.
If the dollar stays where it is, I don't see us travelling much next year...will see

Yes it will effect HOW we spend our money. We will probably cut out most table service dining, at this point we only have 3 meals booked, will be eating breakfast in the room ( cereal, granola bars etc). I am also packing food for the plane down, as not to buy expensive crappy airplane food. Souvenirs money is gone when it's gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter