Anyone else at the Animal Kingdom 10 years ago?

officer tigger

DIS Veteran
I've tried this post in the past nd did not get very many responses. Since it's been about 5 years since I last tried, here it goes again.

My wife and I honeymooned in Disney when the AK had its grand opening. We took the "sneak peek" tour for WDW guests only on Monday. I remember seeing different areas roped off for numerous talk shows to do their shows. Then on Wednesday morning the parking lot was full and closed by 7:00 AM. It made the other parks empty because everyone wanted to be in the new park. How empty the other parks were is what I remember the most.
Anyone else on here that was there and would like to give their memories?

:simba: I was at AK in October of 1998. I remember riding 'Countdown to Extinction' before they changed the name to 'Dinosaur'. I also remember a really cool parade type thing that they did with people on stitls, I haven't been back since so I'm not sure if they still do that or not. I remember that there wasn't a whole lot to do, as far as rides, it was mostly about the animals, I don't think the Asia section was even being built at that time. I do remember going through the entire park pretty quickly though. :banana:

We were there in April 1998 when they were doing sneak peeks for DVC members. It was awesome to be there for the opening of a new park.

We were there opening day! I remember we were staying at the Contemporary and got up super early (still dark) and went and waited for the bus to AK. I remember the bus was jam-packed and everyone was so excited to see the new park. :yay:

this actually sounds kind of sweet. i wish i was there on opening day of a new park. thats history in teh making. imagine opening day of MK? sheesh

I didn't make opening day but was there within a month.

I remember the HUGE grin I got (and still get) on the Safari.... I love that park.
I will be there tomorrow to celebrate 10 years!

We were there honeymooning in November of 1998. So we were there opening year, not opening day. I remember they still had the boats operating in the water around Discovery Island. We never rode them. Wish we had now. I also remember how awesome the Festival of the Lion King was.

We went on our Honeymoon as well. Kind funny that this keeps popping up in the thread. Though we where there at the end of May. We too stayed at CR.

Last trip we talked with a gardner at AK about all of the landscaping. Our October vist was our first visit in years and the difference in AK was very noticable. In 98 you could see how the landscape was going to grow and shade the walkways. Last October we really noticed that this has happned.

The gardener said they do alot of work keeping the plants from taking over the walkways.

I think DW and I like EPCOT and AK the best. MK is good for the rides and such but just to walk around and look at things, which is what we like to do. The kids have other ideas of course. :rotfl:

We bought into AKV and the lodge is simply awesome. We might not be able to go there in our next trip and I'm disappointed that we might to stay at Saratoga.

Does anyone remember the boats there? I don't remember when they took them out, but I definitely remember them.

I've tried this post in the past nd did not get very many responses. Since it's been about 5 years since I last tried, here it goes again.

My wife and I honeymooned in Disney when the AK had its grand opening. We took the "sneak peek" tour for WDW guests only on Monday. I remember seeing different areas roped off for numerous talk shows to do their shows. Then on Wednesday morning the parking lot was full and closed by 7:00 AM. It made the other parks empty because everyone wanted to be in the new park. How empty the other parks were is what I remember the most.
Anyone else on here that was there and would like to give their memories?

:simba: I was at AK in October of 1998. I remember riding 'Countdown to Extinction' before they changed the name to 'Dinosaur'. I also remember a really cool parade type thing that they did with people on stitls, I haven't been back since so I'm not sure if they still do that or not. I remember that there wasn't a whole lot to do, as far as rides, it was mostly about the animals, I don't think the Asia section was even being built at that time. I do remember going through the entire park pretty quickly though. :banana:

Yea, my DW and I were also at AK in October 1998, honeymooning. I think I do remember the boats but not much else other then what our room looked like. :banana: :love: :love2:

Not me but my father and stepmother were there in a month. My dad was a truck driver (over 35 years) so his sense of direction is great. All he did was complain about how hard it was to find things. My husband and I went later that same year (October) and I found everything without fail.

I remember saying how much "wasted" space there was between Dinoland and Asia. I think that's what threw off my father. You couldn't really make a full circle of anything.

But then we were both back for the Annual Passholder preview of Expedition Everest. What a difference that made!

Animal Kingdom, in my opinion, is the most improved park.

Does anyone remember the boats there? I don't remember when they took them out, but I definitely remember them.

Oh I liked the boats. I miss them. They were nice and relaxing and you could see cool stuff.

People complained because they went nowhere. What were they thinking we were going to Africa? :confused3

I love AK, but IMHO EE has taken away some of the charm. To me it's always been a "stop and smell the roses" kind of park not a "race from ride to ride" park. EE seems to be encouraging "commando touring"

When I read on the DIS that "I hated AK" I can pretty much tell what comes next... First I got FP and then powerwalked to Kali and then back to EE and then new FP and then powerwalked to Safari and so on.... And it's Hot and I walked a lot.... And you missed all the animal trails and cool stuff between point A and B in your "Race" to do this in half a day "because everyone told me it's a half day park" Heck I have spent a good hour watching the gorillas play with thier toys LOL!

Me and my DH were there during the grand opening! WE also did "Countdown to Extinction" before it was changed. There were all kinds of talk show chaos going on as well...we even saw a glimpse of Regis!

The plants and flowers were all fresh and it was just a cool time to be there knowing we were one of the "FIRSTS" in the AK!:goodvibes

i was there in sept 98 --- i have a picture of me and my daughter (4 then) sitting on the water fountain outside with the huge countdown to extinction sign in the back -- we wanted to retake the picture when we were there in october with the dinosaur sign in the back -- but you can no longer sit on the water fountain. oh well i still have the picture to remeber the original ride

We were there a week before AK officially opened. They were running buses for a soft opening , but we were told that there was very little actually operating in the park that day. We decided not to go, because we didn't want to waste precious park time there if nothing was really working. Had our trip been longer, I think we would have sacrificed the time to go and check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter