• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone do the new Segway tour @ Epcot?

I did this tour last month. I've done several Segway tours, all of the Disney ones plus some in other locations.

Disney's are very tame as they regulate the Segway speed. Tours elsewhere are more fun if you are looking strictly for Segway experience.

I went this time with 2 friends; both took nasty spills on them. I felt so awful because I think they are easy to ride and convinced them to do the tour.

I preferred the old tour without the breakfast. Still, a few hours on a Segway is hard to beat.

I did the old tour a few times, once alone, once with a friend, and once with my mom. The only time in 3 tours I ever saw someone spill was my mom in the last one, and it was less a spill and more she felt uncomfortable and stepped off, causing the scooter to start clicking and go in to bushes. What happened with your friends?

I agree about the speed regulation being not so exciting, but you still get a lot of great info. The story about Morocco and the Tower of Terror is still one of my favorite Disney factoids.

I also agree with PPs about the pin. I like the new one, but prefer the old one!

I did the old tour a few times, once alone, once with a friend, and once with my mom. The only time in 3 tours I ever saw someone spill was my mom in the last one, and it was less a spill and more she felt uncomfortable and stepped off, causing the scooter to start clicking and go in to bushes. What happened with your friends?

I agree about the speed regulation being not so exciting, but you still get a lot of great info. The story about Morocco and the Tower of Terror is still one of my favorite Disney factoids.

I also agree with PPs about the pin. I like the new one, but prefer the old one!

Both of my friends, had issues with the extra width of the Segway. They did fine in the training inside but once out in the countries where they weren't as focused, they caught the wheels. One went down in China early in the tour by hitting a curb and then caught the leg of a park bench at the location where the photos are taken. That was her second spill and she got dinged up pretty badly as she hit the corner of the bench before hitting the ground. She was scraped and bleeding. The other friend went down going up the winding pathway in Japan. She caught the side of the Segway against the path edge and tumbled into the landscaping.

Both of these women are young and in good shape. I was really surprised by it. The one who fell twice was very sore and it took the zip out of the next few days of the vacation.

And I agree on the pin; the old one was a lot more unique. I am glad they changed it though.

Both of my friends, had issues with the extra width of the Segway. They did fine in the training inside but once out in the countries where they weren't as focused, they caught the wheels. One went down in China early in the tour by hitting a curb and then caught the leg of a park bench at the location where the photos are taken. That was her second spill and she got dinged up pretty badly as she hit the corner of the bench before hitting the ground. She was scraped and bleeding. The other friend went down going up the winding pathway in Japan. She caught the side of the Segway against the path edge and tumbled into the landscaping.

Both of these women are young and in good shape. I was really surprised by it. The one who fell twice was very sore and it took the zip out of the next few days of the vacation.

And I agree on the pin; the old one was a lot more unique. I am glad they changed it though.

proof that women are bad drivers.

hjic15102 said:
I was told there is a weight restriction. Anyone know anything about that?

Was looking at the Disney site this morning and I think I saw 250lbs.

I was told there is a weight restriction. Anyone know anything about that?
Yes.
250 pounds. That is the weight restriction for the Segway, not a restriction set by Disney.
I don't know about the new tour set up, but in the old one, the introductory class information mentioned the weight limit, then the CM said there was a scale if anyone wanted to check their weight. It was off to the side and the weight was not visible to anyone other than the person using the scale.

I did the tour 4 times also and each time, someone had a spill, some more thn one. Most were misjudging width or height as Pakey mentioned. One person got going too fast coming down a hill and panicked. One almost ran into someone and when she tried to avoid them, she crashed into a light pole. She fell off and ended up with a scraped knee.

Having trouble with the camera, so the shots aren't the best. But these are the pins. The old one is the one with the person on the segway. I like it better than the new one. The old one says "Around the world at Epcot", and the new one says "See the World, Share the Dream. Keep Moving Forward".

118.jpg

Hope this helps.

I just booked my Segway tour for December 2012. I am on the first tour at 7:45 am. Does anyone know if I can get through the International Gateway at this time?

If not, does anyone have experience taking a taxi from Art of Animation to EPCOT? I've never taken a taxi on property before.

I just booked my Segway tour for December 2012. I am on the first tour at 7:45 am. Does anyone know if I can get through the International Gateway at this time?

If not, does anyone have experience taking a taxi from Art of Animation to EPCOT? I've never taken a taxi on property before.

Yes, if you tell the CM's at the IG turnstile they should have your name on a list. At least this is the case for later tours. I am not sure if there will be a CM at the gate that early! Although I would think so, since there will be people going to the Princess breakfast as well, right?

We just did the Segway tour last month...in our 40's. We didn't have anyone in our group that was in their 60's. Physically, I don't think It's very hard. I did notice some leg muscles were just a little sore afterwards. I think this is because I was a little tense. I had no problems learning how to use the Segway in our training session. When we got out and into the park for some reason I kept leaning too far forward without feeling like I was. So I had a hard time correcting that the few times it happened. But our trainer was right there to slow me down and straighten me out. Yes...they only go 6 and a half miles per hour, but it felt faster when I was losing control! It was a good time. I enjoyed it in spite of the issue I had with leaning too far forward. If they are fit and generally active, they should be able to do it.

sasquatch said:

I am not sure about the international gateway...you mean where the boat dock is? Not sure if they have someone there that early. I would think so since people do breakfasts before park opening as well.You can take a taxi if you want, but we stayed at Pop and just took the bus. They run early enough.

Took the tour Saturday morning. Was booked in the 8:30 tour but got there early as we hit the 7 am bus and were the only riders. Arrived at 7:15 and waited outside the gates till about 7:35 then were let in and went straight to the guest relations building. Fortunately for us, 2 people didn't show up and my wife and I were moved up. I had taken the tour last year and my wife had never taken it. We had 4 other great couples on the tour with us. All between the 20's and 40's. Larry was our instructor and did a great job. Dustin was our guide and was very knowledgeable for a young whippersnapper. Only two differences between the two tours are breakfast (so-so) at the land pavilion and no movie, just instructions from Larry. Nobody fell at any time during our tour. My wife had some problems going downhill, but I think she only had problems when I was in front of her so maybe it was cause she either wanted to get closer :flower3: or wanted to collect some life insurance money:sad:. Great morning, great time.

Took the tour Saturday morning. Was booked in the 8:30 tour but got there early as we hit the 7 am bus and were the only riders. Arrived at 7:15 and waited outside the gates till about 7:35 then were let in and went straight to the guest relations building.

Didn't realize buses ran that early to EPCOT. What resort we you staying at?

AoA...but I am told there is a bus to MK and Epcot at 7:00 due to breakfast ressies at every hotel.

Thanks! I'm staying at AoA too. I don't think the agent I booked with was too knowledgeable. I was already researching taxis. Hope I can save a few bucks by taking the 7:00 am bus.

Thanks! I'm staying at AoA too. I don't think the agent I booked with was too knowledgeable. I was already researching taxis. Hope I can save a few bucks by taking the 7:00 am bus.

If you are down there at the bus stop by 7 a.m., you will have a nice peaceful bus ride to Epcot. We had 8:30 resssies but were afraid a bus wouldn't pick us up till 7:30 and we wanted to be sure to get there on time. Taxi was last resort. We were there at about 5 till 7 and the mk bus came first with the Epcot bus right behind it right on time. Our driver said 7 am is the first pickup and that there is always a 7 a.m. pickup. When we got to our tour, there was a couple staying at POP that had paid 25 for a taxi and were surprised to hear about the busses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter