Anyone concerned about getting the swine flu?

Yes, I am afraid because my middle son has a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy with an additional history of pulmonary hypertension. We are lucky he is still with us at age 5 but he is immune-compromised and a serious case of the flu could mean death. The good news is that I think he is eligible to take Tamiflu now that he is over age 5 ... but that, in turn, makes me worried about his little brother.

Anyway, our planned road trip vacation is in jeopardy ... flying on a plane to San Diego and hitting many, many theme parks and museums all the way to San Francisco seems not very smart for my family. Full payment for our Disney package is due soon - we'll make our decision this week.

ETA: A friend of mine works in public health for one of the larger counties in CO and she was in all-day meetings re: swine flu on Friday. She says, if she were in my position, she wouldn't go.

Jennifer, if I were in your position, I would also very seriously consider cancelling my trip. Unfortunately, that can sometimes be a hard decision to make. Hope everything works out well for you and your family and you can get any money back that you have spent so far. :hug:

we are going on Tuesday to meet with the wedding planner:banana::lovestruc
We are going to buy that new stuff that coats your nostrils and prevents any air born virus from getting in.
I cant remember what its called. but better safe than sorry. I am pretty phobic about that stuff.
But I , like Mechurchlady can not let myself get all freaked out about it.
Life is too short!
besides, I wash my hands a lot at DL and use the antibacterial gel after. I think we will be alright.
Ill post updates about my meeting with the DWP after our meeting:woohoo::bride::wizard:

We are going to buy that new stuff that coats your nostrils and prevents any air born virus from getting in.

Any idea of what its called? I'm getting a bit worred about it myself since i'm leaving Tuesday for my trip to LA and we don't seem to know all the details yet. I would probably feel better if I was leaving later and we knew more so I could be more prepared.

AAAAHHHHHH its the swine flu! Its the END of the WORLD! :eek: Everyone run for their lives! Women and children first! AAAAgggghhhhh! It got me...Im dying....dying......dyi.....dy....Croke! Nah Im just kidding. Im not worried about the Swine flu. Come two weeks from today we'll be enjoying DL. :thumbsup2

No worries I can get it just as easy here in Vegas .......hey maybe it will keep the crowds down.

I'm sure The Walt Disney Company is continuing to monitor the situation.

I will say that, at this time, all Walt Disney Parks and Resorts sites worldwide continue to operate as normal. There have been no changes to Park Schedules that I'm aware of.

I'm almost certain that, in the event of a emergency situation, the Disneyland Resort in California, as well as the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, will follow the advice of the American Centre for Disease Control (CDC) as well as the instructions issued from Local, State and Federal Governments.

Likewise, I'm sure that Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney Resort, and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort will follow the advice of the relevant French, Japanese and Chinese authorities, respectively.

These measures may include actions up to and including temporary cessation of operations as part of a Public Health measure to limit human contact. However, I'm sure precise measures will depend on the decisions of the Government Agencies concerned, as well as what is best to ensure the safety of our Guests and Cast Members.

If you feel unwell at any time while visiting a Disney Park, please visit the nearest First Aid centre. Locations are indicated on all Park Guidemaps, or you can ask any Cast Member.

For updated information on Park Operating hours, visit the Disneyland Resort website at http://www.disneyland.com/.

Let me just say that there hasn't been any formal announcement on this matter from Disney, so this is all conjecture at this time. I'm sure more information will emerge as the situation develops.

Everyone in my family has asthma, so this could be a crisis. Last year one of my boys had an ear infection about 3 weeks before our trip. Our doc wrote a script for antibiotics just in case he got a bounce-back infection while we were gone. I'd guess he'll give us a prescription for Tamiflu, just in case.

Yes, I'm worried...but the cases I'm hearing about are in Texas and Kansas, so since we live in Colorado it's not like this isn't a possiblity anyway.

Man to constantly live in fear, I'm glad it is not like that up here. I mentioned earlier the news, and there is a total difference in news coverage down there and here, some news agencies down there are saying possible pandemic/most likely. Up here it says health authorities are monitoring the situation and that no deaths have occured in the united states.

I think its fine to be concerned, but don't run for the bomb shelters yet.

Nope, not worried yet. Just paying attention to it like everything else on the news.
If schools close around here and we get any cases I would worry. If Anaheim area schools close or people are quarantined than that would warrant me cancelling our next trip.
But right now it's not that worrisome.

Man to constantly live in fear, I'm glad it is not like that up here. I mentioned earlier the news, and there is a total difference in news coverage down there and here, some news agencies down there are saying possible pandemic/most likely. Up here it says health authorities are monitoring the situation and that no deaths have occured in the united states.

I think its fine to be concerned, but don't run for the bomb shelters yet.

I agree, the news media loves to hype things like this because it gets people to listen to them = ratings.

Those with health issues may want to take extra precautions, but I'm not going to spend extra time to worry about it. I wash my hands before I eat and don't put my hands up to my mouth or nose. Other than that, I don't think there is much to do but wait and see how this turns out. We have to go to work. :confused3

Yes, I'm worried. Primarily because a LOT of people visit DLR from Baja California (Mexico) on the weekends...a LOT!!! The "2 Fer" deal is for So. Cal residents AS WELL AS residents of Baja California. The first weekend that was in effect, there were a LOT of people there from Mexico.

I'm also worried because I have an autistic 4 year old whose main stimming behavior at the moment is chewing on his fingers. He CONSTANTLY has his hands in his mouth, to no avail. It drives me crazy, because he is always sick. I was planning to go to Disneyland today with my kids...my son didn't want to go...had a meltdown...I have to say, after reading the news this morning, I'm sort of glad we stayed home.

It's not about "living in fear". It's a REAL danger, especially in a place like Disneyland, where there ARE people from Mexico visiting daily. They may be carrying this flu virus without knowing it, and it's extremely easy to catch illnesses at Disneyland. I know. Every single time we go there, my kids are sick 3-4 days later (due to DS's incessant hand chewing). I can wash his hands a million times, and use wet ones to no end, but it's not enough.

I would CERTAINLY not travel to Mexico anytime soon (although, swine flu would be the LEAST of my worries in doing so...) and if I had a cruise, or other vacation planned there pending in the next month or so, especially with my kids, I'd cancel it immediately. Not worth it.

Yes, I'm worried. Primarily because a LOT of people visit DLR from Baja California (Mexico) on the weekends...a LOT!!! The "2 Fer" deal is for So. Cal residents AS WELL AS residents of Baja California. The first weekend that was in effect, there were a LOT of people there from Mexico.

I'm also worried because I have an autistic 4 year old whose main stimming behavior at the moment is chewing on his fingers. He CONSTANTLY has his hands in his mouth, to no avail. It drives me crazy, because he is always sick. I was planning to go to Disneyland today with my kids...my son didn't want to go...had a meltdown...I have to say, after reading the news this morning, I'm sort of glad we stayed home.

It's not about "living in fear". It's a REAL danger, especially in a place like Disneyland, where there ARE people from Mexico visiting daily. They may be carrying this flu virus without knowing it, and it's extremely easy to catch illnesses at Disneyland. I know. Every single time we go there, my kids are sick 3-4 days later (due to DS's incessant hand chewing). I can wash his hands a million times, and use wet ones to no end, but it's not enough.

I would CERTAINLY not travel to Mexico anytime soon (although, swine flu would be the LEAST of my worries in doing so...) and if I had a cruise, or other vacation planned there pending in the next month or so, especially with my kids, I'd cancel it immediately. Not worth it.

How do you know they are from Mexico? Did they tell you or are you assuming?

There is also many Americans and other foreigners traveling to Mexico, for business or vacation who are bringing the virus back with them.

How do you know they are from Mexico? Did they tell you or are you assuming?

There is also many Americans traveling to Mexico, for business or vacation who are bringing the virus back with them.

Well, gee, if the tour buses from Mexico in the M&F parking lot were any indication...

Um, gee...what else? Oh...maybe all the B.C. license plates I managed to see while I was simply waiting my turn in line to get into M&F parking structure!

Come on, don't do that. I'm not presuming. I'm not being racist, or discriminatory. I can tell a group of foreigners when I see them. I can distinguish a group of Mexican people visiting FROM MEXICO from a group of Mexican California residents. I've lived here long enough...

And, your second point is a good one. LAX has numerous flights in/out each day from Mexico. LAX is also a major hub for people arriving to So. Cal to visit DISNEYLAND. Sure, there are separate terminals, but eventually, facilities merge, and there is no way to separate ALL the people who have come in from Mexico from all the rest of the people in that airport. And, the ones who make their way to Disneyland, which is a LOT, well...you get the point.

Yes, I'm worried about it. I certainly don't want my 4 or 3 year old sons to catch swine flu. And, there have already been cases confirmed in California, so it's not just a possibility anymore...

In fairness, it's my understanding that the swine flu in Mexico is primarily around Mexico City, and I haven't heard anything at all about cases in Baja, Mexico. Given the amount of tourism Mexico City gets and the distance from Mexico City to Baja, it could easily be MORE prevalent in areas of the US than in Baja, Mexico.

I see the bigger issue as that a lot of tourists from all over come to Disneyland, and the flu has already reached Europe, so there could be a lot of carriers bringing it over to Disneyland, regardless of where they are from.

I will say that hybrid flu is one of my biggest fears (that and ToT ;) ). I'm wondering if it's already a lot more widespread than has been reported...my co-worker's young son got VERY ill on Friday morning, and I think another co-worker's friend also got quite sick recently.

But at this stage it doesn't appear to be anything to panic over in the United States--even in Mexico City, they are saying that a large number of the victims have been discharged from the hospital. So right now, I would not cancel any plans to go to DL unless I or others in my party were immunosuppressed or had other vulnerabilities to the flu. (Early reports say that it's worse for young, healthy adults, so I would not currently cancel just because I had a senior or a child in the party.)

I'm certainly keeping an eye on it and if it gets to the point where the government is advising or demanding we avoid public places, I would likely cancel. Luckily I haven't bought admission tickets and my room is refundable until a couple days before check-in.

Considering they've closed down things like museums in Mexico I don't think the level of concern on a travel site is really that out of whack. If I had known that there was a brutal flu going around ds's school I probably would have stocked up ahead of time last February, we didn't leave the house for about two weeks. I basically view this as a case where we are getting extra warning because it's a weird flu, I'm not necessarily scared of it.

Also we are going to New York in a month for my 10th aniversary. I'm hoping it all calms down by then. This is basically a once in a lifetime trip for us that we've been planning for over a year. I don't want to get sick or be paranoid about it the entire time we are there.

The media has a lot to answer for in terms of balancing reality with scare mongering. That's why it is hard for us regular people to actually make an accurate judgment of what is going on. It is scary when you hear of people dying of swine flu, students in NZ being diagnosed with it,and cases all over the world. It makes you think that it is a pandemic. In Australia a few years ago we were told the BIRD FLU was going to destroy Asia, and they sited cases of it being spread to humans, and in the end it was a big media beat up. Not that I am saying this is the case, but the media often isn't balanced or has the public interest in mind when publishing the story.

IT is hard to know whether I would travel now?? We go in Sept so will just have to monitor the situation as best we can. :sad2: I think each person needs to do what they think best for their own family situation and appetite for the perceived risk. Everyone's situation is different.

80 people died in mexico, which probably had a lot to do with sanitary problems of the city. The city has a population of 8,836,045 and 80 people died. It doesn't seem that bad when you take that into account. NO ONE has died in the states, not to say they won't but the odds are definately in your favour to survive.

I can appreciate your son's dilemma, and the safest thing to do for you, is not go to Disneyland. There are all sorts of germs in a place like Disneyland...and with your concerns and fears it is best not to go.

Umm, many people died of the avian flu outbreak and SARS. Maybe not in this country, but in other countries. The Bird Flu and SARS were considered pandemic. If the WHO is making a big deal out of it, it's because they don't want the disease to become pandemic. 68 people died of it in Mexico which is just across the border from Cali (and many other states). Imagine how many people are crossing everyday from Mexico to the U.S. carrying the virus. How man y are on planes, trains and in cars that are carrying/infecting others as I write this? 7 people now in Cali were infected with it. The testing shows that it's the exact same strain of flu as the one that killed all those people in Mexico. I'd say that is something that people need to be concerned about. They are recommending on CNN tha people wear face masks if they are coughing or sneezing to protect others around them from geting sick, and of course to wash hands vigilantly. Also, they are saying if you have a cough or are sneezing and have had any other symptoms like fever that you should go to the DR immediately.
Of course I know many people died from SARS and Bird Flu; I'm not at all saying it wasn't serious. I live in a place where hundreds of intercontinental flights go in and out, particularly between the major Asian Pacific Rim cities. I live 140 miles away from Vancouver, BC, where there were a number of reported SARS cases. I still remember driving around and seeing pedestrians with masks on. But what I am saying is this. I recall the countless headlines that said something along the lines of 'SARS, major global pandemic?'. Same thing with bird flu. Most fortunately, both strains were contained within a few months and that never happened. Will I take extra precaution regarding personal hygiene and sanitation? Yes. But will I let this paralyze me? No. And will I let this stop me from going to DL. NO. And even if I were guarantee to contract it down in DL and die from it, would I still go? YES.

Mexico is a country with many people living in very poor conditions without adequate sanitation or nutrition. That affects mortality rates.
The NZers who may have caught it are all recovering well with no major issues.
If the numbers of dead in a first world country reflect those numbers I'll start to worry. Right now as healthy people with good nutrition I wouldn't worry for our family. If any of us were immune compromised of course I might be slightly more careful about what we did and where we went.

Obviously here in NZ we feel we are so remote that here is the last place pandemics will reach but it goes to show just how small the world is now.

Authorities here have taken this threat very seriously, they have tracked everybody else on the plane and are monitoring them for symptoms. At this stage two people have been hospitalised and are not "recovering well'. It hasn't been confirmed as swine flu at this stage, that is going to take a couple of days before this is confirmed, what is confirmed is it is a class A influenza which is serious.

Looking at the timeframe of its expansion through Mexico, we are about two weeks behind Mexico in the spread of this bug. The good news is we have a "heads up" on this thing, people who may want to play down the threat do so at their and their families peril....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter