Anyone collect Disney Hawaiian shirts?

Experiment_626

Stealth Geek
I love Disney Hawaiian shirts and collect them -- they make great practical collectibles, because (duh!) you can actually wear them. And I do -- I wear a Hawaiian shirt every day except for wedding and funerals. Luckily, I work at a university and the dress code is very relaxed -- the fact that I wear socks and athletic shoes means I'm more "dressed-up" than some people!

I have about eight Disney-related shirts, and would love to find more. However, there's no one, as far as I can find, that keeps any sort of catalog of what is and has been available. Many of the shirts I've only seen once, and it isn't unusual to search eBay every couple of weeks and find one I'd never previously seen. Just today, in fact, in fact, I found a Reyn Spooner Lilo & Stitch shirt listed, and it's the first time I've ever seen that one. Wrong size for me, unfortunately; I'd love to have it as that's one of my top-five favorite Disney films, but there's no point in buying a shirt I cannot wear. But at least now I know they exist!

Does anyone else collect these? And does anyone know of any sort of web site that catalogs the shirts that exist?

My two most recent acquisitions are the Reyn Spooner Cars 2 shirt and the Shag-designed WDW 40th anniversary shirt -- I felt lucky to get that last one because it is a limited edition, but I happened to go to WDW just a day or two after it was released.

A few years ago I was in line at Test Track and saw a guy wearing another shirt I've only seen once -- it had an all-over pattern composed completely of signs from WDW attractions and shops. In fact, it may have been all Magic Kingdom stuff. Only saw it once, and I was able to find one solitary reference to it existing online (without photos).

I think these are great items to collect, and if no one has a site that tracks them, someone should start!

Scott

Last year I bought my son the Reyn Spooner "Up" shirt from a Disney Outlet--orig. priced about $80 and I got it for $2.99 no lie! Crazy find! I'd love to find more, too, as he is a HUGE John Lasseter fan.

May want to try doing an Ebay search for 'Disney Tiki Shirt'. Good luck, sounds like a fun collection!

- MaterializedHaunt :hmghost:

I know I'm like a year late here (well more), but in case you do still read this. I AM a Disney Hawaiian Shirt Collector...well...more so pixar hawaiian shirt collector. But I do have a few Disney ones. Anyway I think I have a grand total of about 30.

Off the top of my head.

Toy Story 2 - One Buzz, One Woody
Toy Story 3 - one by disney store (cheap replica), then the good one by Reyn Spooner
Brave
Ratatouille - My first and favorite
Wall-E
Bolt
Cars 1 - Two types, one tan with desert theme, one black with night theme
Cars 2
Monsters Inc
Finding Nemo
Haunted Mansion
Tomorrow Land
2 Customs - One Disney Land themes, one Green Alien Men from toy Story themed
Incredibles - ONe blue one Red
Lilo & Stitch
Princess and the Frog

I Think the only Pixar film I don't have a hawaiian shirt for is A Bugs Life, and the first Toy Story.

Cheers.

gspin2k1 said:
I know I'm like a year late here (well more), but in case you do still read this. I AM a Disney Hawaiian Shirt Collector...well...more so pixar hawaiian shirt collector. But I do have a few Disney ones. Anyway I think I have a grand total of about 30.

Off the top of my head.

Toy Story 2 - One Buzz, One Woody
Toy Story 3 - one by disney store (cheap replica), then the good one by Reyn Spooner
Brave
Ratatouille - My first and favorite
Wall-E
Bolt
Cars 1 - Two types, one tan with desert theme, one black with night theme
Cars 2
Monsters Inc
Finding Nemo
Haunted Mansion
Tomorrow Land
2 Customs - One Disney Land themes, one Green Alien Men from toy Story themed
Incredibles - ONe blue one Red
Lilo & Stitch
Princess and the Frog

I Think the only Pixar film I don't have a hawaiian shirt for is A Bugs Life, and the first Toy Story.

Cheers.

Oh my Gosh! A Haunted Mansion Hawaiian shirt? How cool! Can I see?? I collect Haunted Mansion stuff n have never seen one!!

My DH loves Disney Hawaiin (well, button up shirts) and they are really hard to find. He has about 6 of them. He has a HM short we got in Disneyland that rocks, I'll try to get a pick soon. Hopefully we'll find something special for him during or trip to WDW.

Oh my Gosh! A Haunted Mansion Hawaiian shirt? How cool! Can I see?? I collect Haunted Mansion stuff n have never seen one!!

I'm new so I can't post links yet.

but there's a picture of how it looks like if you google

"haunted mansion shag shirt"

They have a purple and green one.

Oh my Gosh! A Haunted Mansion Hawaiian shirt?
I'm the OP and had the good sense to subscribe to this thread, so I'm still here (usually hang out on the Photography board).

I saw the Haunted Mansion shirt mentioned -- I had a chance to buy one in the park, but my wife balked at the $78 price (I think that's what it was). Now they go for twice that or more on eBay.

I learned my lesson -- when the Shag WDW 40th Anniversary shirt came out last year, I snatched it up in the park.

SSB

A few years ago I was in line at Test Track and saw a guy wearing another shirt I've only seen once -- it had an all-over pattern composed completely of signs from WDW attractions and shops. In fact, it may have been all Magic Kingdom stuff. Only saw it once, and I was able to find one solitary reference to it existing online (without photos).
Quoting myself here to note that my wife did eventually catch this one online and got it for me. She found it in a XXL size which normally fits me quite comfortably, but this one is a bit tight on me. Fine when I'm standing but snug when I sit down. So if you see one of these and want it, be aware they apparently run a bit on the small side.

SSB

It is fairly easy to find these shirts on eBay if you're diligent, though some come up much more often than others. If they're Reyn Spooner or Shag designs, expect to pay twice the original tag price, or even more in some cases (though sometimes you might get lucky). Disney Store shirts and even some that were park exclusives without "name" designers sell for much less, even though many of them are very good.

SSB

It is fairly easy to find these shirts on eBay if you're diligent, though some come up much more often than others. If they're Reyn Spooner or Shag designs, expect to pay twice the original tag price, or even more in some cases (though sometimes you might get lucky). Disney Store shirts and even some that were park exclusives with "name" designers sell for much less, even though many of them are very good.

SSB

What's hilarious, well not so hilarious. Is that when the Princess and the Frog Reyn Spooner shirt first came out on eBay they were like $150. So I snatched it. Then a month later, I'm on vacation and stumble across them in a Disney outlet store...$20 a piece...:(. I bought an extra one just in case I ever ruin my other one, I figured at that price it's worth it. Anyway, to this day I think they still sell on eBay for like $150-$200/each. I probably should have bought like 10-20 of them, and just randomly sold them on eBay to help pay for my other Disney Hawaiian shirts.

Getting the older Reyn Spooner ones definitely take a lot of work, as you say, some pop up more than others. Others are just very random. i.e. Toy Story 2, I've seen maybe 5 different ones pop up over the past 2-3 years. I check eBay, disneystore.com at least once every 3-4 days for em.

Really hoping the Wreck It Ralph ones come out soon for general sale. Sadly the ones for Brave were not and were collectors items only. So i was forced to get it from an eBay seller (no idea how he/she got them).

Really hoping the Wreck It Ralph ones come out soon for general sale. Sadly the ones for Brave were not and were collectors items only. So i was forced to get it from an eBay seller (no idea how he/she got them).
Maybe someone thought the Brave shirts would have less appeal for men ...

In general I've noticed the Spooner shirts have tended to disappear from the parks pretty quickly, although the black Toy Story 3 shirt was an exception. There's usually some sort of Hawaiian shirt, often a Spooner, released in advance of Fathers Day.

I had the WALL-E shirt that I also got at one of the outlet stores, but it was too small for me and would never fit me unless I was starving to death. My wife listed it on eBay for $100 and it was gone in a snap. I told her she should have listed it for at least $150.

SSB

Registered just to post on this thread - amazing to see there are as many people obsessed with Disney Aloha shirts as I am!

Has anyone seen/heard if the Wreck it Ralph shirts are available at the parks yet? I see they've hit eBay (at a very high price) and I'm wondering where the seller got them. I know in the past I've gotten them from both DLR and the Disney Studio Store on Hollywood Blvd, but I've moved farther north so if someone happened to notice them in stock somewhere, I would totally make the drive down if they were available direct.

Aloha,
Scott

Just answering my own question for anyone else that might stumble on this thread wondering: the Disney Soda Fountain & Studio Store (where I purchased both the Incredibles and Toy Story 3 shirts) does not carry the Reyn Spooner Wreck it Ralph shirt, and I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with a very patient DelivEARS rep who tried every possible way but could not even find a listing for it anywhere in her system. She even went through every Wreck it Ralph shirt listed (in and out of stock) and couldn't find it. So it doesn't look good. :worried:

Does anyone know if it might be available directly at the parks themselves even if DelivEARS doesn't have a listing for it? Or another way to get one besides paying $170 on eBay?

Mahalo very much,
Scott

Has anyone seen/heard if the Wreck it Ralph shirts are available at the parks yet? I see they've hit eBay (at a very high price) and I'm wondering where the seller got them.
I would presume that seller got them in the parks; he must have either stocked up on them or lives close and can buy them straight from the parks when someone orders one, because he lists all sizes available.

I've gotten at least one of my Spooner shirts in the Emporium on Main Street at WDW and as far as I know, the parks are the only place they're sold. I mean, they may be available at Mickey's of Glendale and/or at Pixar Studios, and maybe the cruise line, but other than that I don't know where else they're sold.

I do have friends down at the parks now; I'll see if they can find out whether they're available.

At one time, I believe the Spooner shirts were available (while supplies last) on the Reyn Spooner web site, but I haven't found anything there in years. I have no idea why these shirts are produced in such apparent limited quantities, except for the Toy Story 3 shirt which was available for quite a while. You'd think they could sell more than they typically make, even without changing their prices.

SSB

Just answering my own question for anyone else that might stumble on this thread wondering: the Disney Soda Fountain & Studio Store (where I purchased both the Incredibles and Toy Story 3 shirts) does not carry the Reyn Spooner Wreck it Ralph shirt, and I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with a very patient DelivEARS rep who tried every possible way but could not even find a listing for it anywhere in her system. She even went through every Wreck it Ralph shirt listed (in and out of stock) and couldn't find it. So it doesn't look good. :worried:

Does anyone know if it might be available directly at the parks themselves even if DelivEARS doesn't have a listing for it? Or another way to get one besides paying $170 on eBay?

Mahalo very much,
Scott

I have been looking at Disneyland but have not seen any Reyn Spooner shirts since the Toy Story 3 one. My husband collects the Disney shirts.

Hello everybody!

So I stumbled upon this thread and thought I would add some (perhaps helpful) info! I've collected/worn hawaiian shirts for years, and began acquiring Reyn Spooner Disney/Pixar shirts several years ago. I find them on occasion in the parks, often on ebay, and once in a blue moon at the disneystore site. I also have several of the SHAG shirts (tiki room, Haunted mansion in green and purple) and a host of Disneyland "land" designs. Great stuff when you can find them!

I recently tried to find a Wreck it Ralph shirt, and was frustrated it could not be purchased anywhere except ebay for roughly 170 bucks. Now the regular retail on the Spooner shirts is 79.95 plus tax, so that price was a bit too much. As part of my quest, I emailed Reyn Spooner HQ in Hawaii to find out just how these things get distributed. I was informed that Reyn does not sell them at any of their shops anymore (nor online) they are made exclusively for Disney who basically does whatever they wish with them.

I was also searching for a Brave shirt at the time, after seeing a nice guy at DL wearing one. His son works at PIXAR so he was able to buy it at their studio store. Unfortunately, the public is not allowed to walk in off the street and buy, although disappointed - pressed on. I finally found an ebay seller who does not gouge as much as some, and purchased it from him. He was kind enough to let me know he would soon have Monsters 2 - Frozen & Planes.

If anyone would like his info, let me know. Not sure how people obtain these things, but at least they are available in some way/shape/form to we unwashed masses! The shirts are a LOT of fun to wear, and I always get compliments. I often have Disney park employees marvel at how cool the designs are - and ask where I got them. Even more fun!!

Kurt

I also collect these great shirts. As far as I know, only one seller on Ebay sells most of these Disney Reyn Spooner shirts and has all sizes. I bought many shirts from him so far and got a great deal. I don't know of anyone else that carries Braves, Wall-es and Wreck it Ralphs all sizes. He's a great guy and if you're willing to buy multiple shirts, he doesn't have a problem giving a discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter