Any tips for WDW with child with T1 Diabetes?

Krisu

Meeska, mooska, Mouseketeer, Mousecartoon time now
We (Grammy & PopPop!!) are planning to take our grandson in a year when he is 4. He has a pump and is doing very well. Would appreciate any tips from folks that have dealt with traveling with a child with T1. Thanks

I have a 4 year old and a T1 husband. So I'll combine the two and offer you what my husband said. He said test blood sugar frequently, drink lots of water, bring snacks and glucose tablets (the orange ones are yummy). Remember that heat and activity will require less insulin to stay in the correct range. My husband also suggested that you might want to locate and stop into the first aid station in each park, just to familiarize yourself with the location and who is there. :)

How much experience do you have with dealing with your grandson's diabetes? Do you know things like carb counting?

Our tips...:

Because of the excitement and heat DD's numbers often go crazy. One thing we made sure was that she always had low supplies in her pocket. A little baggy of jelly beans. That way if we got stuck on a ride, she lost her bag, she got lost, or something else happened she had it on her person. Also we make sure every bag with us has low supplies in it.

Also some Doctors have a loaner travel pump that you can take with you. In case something happens to yours while on vacation.

Have copies of all your prescriptions. We keep back up pictures of them on our phone.

We've had insulin go bad while on vacation. So we usually keep a 1/3rd filled vial with ice packs; in our bags. And that will be our 'park' vial. That way if it spoils we don't lose the whole amount.

Ziploc baggies to keep her PDM dry on water rides.

We tag everything that is important with our cell phone numbers.

We test before getting on major 'can not easily get off' rides. Like the roller coasters. In case it gets stuck. I also suspend the pump on those rides.

We keep a mini flashlight keychain in each bag. So that if the lancet falls to the bottom of the bag I can find it at night.

Great tips! He lives upstairs from us and we are very hands on with managing his carbs and his pump, but being away from home for a week is different. Is there a special type of cooler I should look for? Anything special I need to know about flying with his supplies?

A lot of people with diabetes use Frio packs. They keep the insulin cool without the risk of freezing that is possible using ice.
http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/

Also, there are usually a couple of active threads about type on diabetes and kids on the disABILITIES B oars most of the time. So, besides the good info you've gotten here, you may want to pop over to the disABILITIES Board and check it out.

I am a Type 1 diabetic and fly with insulin and supplies. I always just put them in the quart ziplock for fluids and send them through the scanner. Last time I forgot to take the ziplock out of my bag and they didn't notice it, but usually I make it clear.

I always carry snacks for lows, especially at WDW. I have seen others mention using bolus doses of about 3/4 of normal just due to all the activity at WDW, and that seems like a good start. Otherwise you will be perpetually chasing lows.

I have also seen posts that suggest not making any note of diabetes on your reservation. I am not sure why you would note it, but leaving it off makes sure that you can manage your meal choices and not be told that the poor kid can't have sugar.

I hadn't seen the Frio packs before, but I am ordering one for my next trip. Another benefit of the DIS boards!

I was looking at the Frio's on the web site. I heard it's difficult to get carb counts from the restaurants:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter