• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any thoughts on battling after cruise dizziness???

omalley1118

DIS Veteran
I do not get seasick. I get after sea sickness. We cruised in 2010 and 2011, and I had a hard time both times. The vertigo lasted over a week the second time. I took mess afresh the first cruise and during Nd after the second and neither real helped...

I was 100x more miserable getting off my last cruise than I ever have been seasick. I really hope someone has something that will help because my upcoming 8 day might just ruin me for a solid week afterwards. Still totally worth it.. but still.

I do not get seasick. I get after sea sickness. We cruised in 2010 and 2011, and I had a hard time both times. The vertigo lasted over a week the second time. I took mess afresh the first cruise and during Nd after the second and neither real helped...

I've read that some people need to continue taking their sea sickness meds for several days following a cruise in order to get their "land legs" back.

I also read a couple of reports where flying helps. :confused3

I've read that some people need to continue taking their sea sickness meds for several days following a cruise in order to get their "land legs" back.

I also read a couple of reports where flying helps. :confused3

I can tell you that neither mess nor flying worked for me. I love cruising, it it seems to get worse each time.

I took bonnine for 4 days after we got off our cruise. I get vertigo real bad after too. But this time I was fine. Once I stopped feeling like I was still moving, after day 4, I stopped bonnine. Never got vertigo but would have moments when I felt like I was still moving in those 4 days. Planning on doing it again after our next cruise.

The timing of this post is impeccable. Just got off the Fantasy on Saturday. Never had a moments issue with sea sickness but GOOD LORD I have struggled ever since we got off. I think DH thinks I'm making it up. :confused3

There's a med reason why. I don't remember off hand what it is but basically its a build up of fluid near your ear drum. Over the counters typically won't work. Meclozine is the only thing I can think of.

I get the dizziness afterwards also. I keep taking the meclizine until it goes away.

I got terrible land sickness after my last cruise. I felt sick for days and it seemed like the ground was moving around under me. I felt a little better when I rode in the car or walked on the treadmill. I'm sure I'll get land sickness again after my next cruise but I figure it's worth it.

I think DH thinks I'm making it up.
I think people thought I was making it up too. Everyone seemed skeptical when I told them about it. Then they would talk to me days later and say something like "I googled land sickness and it is a real thing!" and meanwhile I was clutching the wall and trying to remain upright. :sad2:

I am so glad to see this thread! I loved our cruise last May, and I want to cruise again soooo bad. However, I wanted to just die in the TEN days following the cruise! I have secretly hope to cruise again in October for my 40th, but I am terrifiedof the vertigo following the cruise. DH and I both had it.

I have this problem after every cruise. Got off Fantasy March 30th and finally the feeling has just now gone away. Usually lasts 2-3 weeks for me.

Most cruises I just have a little of the ground moving underfoot (mostly in the shower) for 2 or 3 days. But after our 1st Alaska cruise, it took almost a month before I felt like I was really back on solid ground. Not sick, but just a lot of rocking.

Sorry to hear of all the suffering... As a Meniere's disease patient, I understand how distressing bouts of vertigo can be...

There is a group working on this syndrome with links to research and access to support and educational info. I'm not sure if all the content on their site is safe or reliable, but it's worth a shot: www.mddsfoundation.org Hope its helpful.

Since it is a rare disorder, at least bring the full name of the syndrome and some facts from this site to clue in your local doctor, if you need to be seen for this. Feel better everybody and happy sailing!

Stinkerbell1973 said:
The timing of this post is impeccable. Just got off the Fantasy on Saturday. Never had a moments issue with sea sickness but GOOD LORD I have struggled ever since we got off. I think DH thinks I'm making it up. :confused3

Just off the Dream on Thursday and I'm still rocking! The only time it doesn't bother me is laying flat. My hubby tells me its in my head too! I do get motion sickness and wear a patch onboard, but had no problem this time, just now.

I've had the same feeling both after cruises and after being on my parents pontoon boat. Meclizine or Bonine (OTC Meclizine) helped. The worst time I had was my honeymoon, but I also had a bad case of vertigo four days before my wedding and was still getting over it.

For those of you who have experienced this, are you also prone to sea sickness? I am really nervous of our cruise now, it is only a 3 night, but I do get sea sick, and it would be a nightmare to experience this land sickness too. :faint:

For those of you who have experienced this, are you also prone to sea sickness? I am really nervous of our cruise now, it is only a 3 night, but I do get sea sick, and it would be a nightmare to experience this land sickness too. :faint:

I do not get sea sick. I am prone to ear infections though .. so perhaps it's my ears that cause me to get "land sick" every time.

No sea sickness here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter