Any security changes at WDW?

My $0.02:

Freak accidents and attacks by evil or ill people can happen anytime, anyplace. About a month ago, a sinkhole opened up under a house not far from where I live and swallowed a man alive while he was sleeping. People run red lights and text while driving, causing horrific accidents. You have things like Boston and Aurora. There is very little to stop these kinds of things from happening. So I'm not going to let fear and the "what-ifs" keep me from enjoying life. If I did, I couldn't feel safe anywhere, not even in my own house or while driving to school. I believe that Disney is well aware of the need for security and have no reason to doubt their ability to keep me reasonably safe while I'm there. It's no use worrying about what could happen, so I will continue to visit Disney and won't fret about it.

My $0.02:

Freak accidents and attacks by evil or ill people can happen anytime, anyplace. About a month ago, a sinkhole opened up under a house not far from where I live and swallowed a man alive while he was sleeping. People run red lights and text while driving, causing horrific accidents. You have things like Boston and Aurora. There is very little to stop these kinds of things from happening. So I'm not going to let fear and the "what-ifs" keep me from enjoying life. If I did, I couldn't feel safe anywhere, not even in my own house or while driving to school. I believe that Disney is well aware of the need for security and have no reason to doubt their ability to keep me reasonably safe while I'm there. It's no use worrying about what could happen, so I will continue to visit Disney and won't fret about it.

:thumbsup2

As I was first planning this vacation I started searching for information on the safety of Disney World just because I worry a lot. Honestly I couldn't find much information just the same thoughts from like from people here that they feel its safe, but to me, simple bag checks are not enough. We will be there for 10 days over the 4th and my plan is just not to be at WDW that day for several reasons but it also makes my paranoid heart feel a bit better too. I soooooo wish we lived in a different time and place, I feel bad that our kids have to grow up in this era.

As I was first planning this vacation I started searching for information on the safety of Disney World just because I worry a lot. Honestly I couldn't find much information just the same thoughts from like from people here that they feel its safe, but to me, simple bag checks are not enough. We will be there for 10 days over the 4th and my plan is just not to be at WDW that day for several reasons but it also makes my paranoid heart feel a bit better too. I soooooo wish we lived in a different time and place, I feel bad that our kids have to grow up in this era.

Just because bag checks are the only visible thing you see that doesn't mean that is the only security measure Disney takes. Disney prides itself on keeping business operations(even security) as close to invisible as possible to maintain the magic. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. And honestly those type of measures make me feel way safer than the false sense of security given by overly grandiose security measures taken by other places. (*cough*TSA*cough*)

You're right, they're not. Which is why Disney does a lot more than that. It's just not visible to you. PPs have mentioned the large number of plainclothes security officers constantly roaming the parks and hanging around the bag check/turnstiles, keeping an eye out for suspicious behavior. There are hidden cameras all over the place. I'm sure there are plenty of other hidden security measures. Disney is well aware of the target they become by being open to such large crowds, and they take safety very seriously.

And yes, lots of tragedies are happening during this era...but taking a long, hard look at history, is it really drastically worse than any other time? I agree that it's difficult to explain what's happening to young kids and to feel like you can protect them. But somehow I don't think terrible things happen any more or less often now than they ever have. The proliferation of the media may make it feel that way, but I don't think it's really the case.

I don't say any of that to bash you or to imply that your feelings and concerns aren't legitimate. I sympathize and simply wish to offer some reassuring logic :hug:

They aren't just there in plain clothes, either, they are VERY observant. My dad was stopped on his way in and asked if he was carrying an off-duty weapon. He's a corrections officer and I don't know if he was wearing his PD shirt or if he just has that "look" (lol) but he was stopped. I didn't even realize it had happened until we were in the park. They are very discrete.

My $0.02:

This. To live in fear isn't the way my family does it, either. We were on our honeymoon at Disney on 9/11. We continue to go there because we were so impressed with the way things were handled. Disney is a very secure, safe place.

Do you think Disney will increase guest screening or make any changes to security because of the Boston bombings? Personally, I would be ok with going through a metal detector before entering each park.

Why? So you can feel "safer"? Metal detectors will cause delays and longer lines than you already have. And will accomplish nothing. Metal detectors don't make you safe.

Why? So you can feel "safer"? Metal detectors will cause delays and longer lines than you already have. And will accomplish nothing. Metal detectors don't make you safe.
There are quite a few downsides to metal detectors that make them impractical for use at the WDW parks, but it isn't true that they do not increase security.

Do you think Disney will increase guest screening or make any changes to security because of the Boston bombings? Personally, I would be ok with going through a metal detector before entering each park.

Good question but Disney is one of the few places were metal detectors are NOT needed. WDW is pretty much it's own city and there are SO many camera's (hidden and visible) that it would be almost impossible to do something and not be caught.

Now if someone walks in with a death wish... that's a different story.

agame2323 said:
Good question but Disney is one of the few places were metal detectors are NOT needed. WDW is pretty much it's own city and there are SO many camera's (hidden and visible) that it would be almost impossible to do something and not be caught.

Now if someone walks in with a death wish... that's a different story.

That's the scary part. Many people have no problem martyring for their cause.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Today we saw a handful of uniformed officers at DHS exit & the K-9 unit was visibly parked in front of MK the other day. To some degree, that type of increased security is for guest reassurance. Skittish guests will be reassured by the presence of additional security, though I agree there is a fine line between that and armed guards. :)

There was a noticeable k-9 presence last week, before anything happened. We've noticed the dogs frequently in all our trips.

Just another layer to the security.

*No bashing just saying....

I live in Boston. The coverage has been 24/7 and it's the most horrific thing most any of us have ever witnessed unless you have been a soldier in active duty. I have friends who were at the finish line who witnessed the most horrendous sights... that isn't hype. With all the coverage most stations had terror experts on and they specifically mentioned major theme parks as being a perfect target. I'm sure Disney is aware of this and even if unnoticed they are at a heightened security. We are leaving for Orlando bright and early tomorrow. Getting through Logan airport will take more time than normal. Boston is such a small city, sadly it seems like everyone knows someone who was affected. We will not allow terror to stop us from living life, but here in Boston there is a great sense of sadness and anger. Needing some Disney magic now more than ever!

Beautifully said! We lived in Boston until three years ago and it's an amazing city... I agree that the word hype came across as insensative.

Actually after Sandy Hook, I thought about that... how horrific it would be if something like that happened at Disney (although I can't imagine anything more horrific that Sandy Hook). I have to admit, I wouldn't mind metal detectors and bag carrosels. Most bag checkers at Disney (before monday anyway) just peaked in the bag... I can't imagine it wouldbe too difficult to hide a weapon.

They will come. maybe not today but they will

Our Six Flags has metal detectors and it's really no big deal and doesn't cause huge backups. Just like the airports or the court buildings, if you beep they have you remove your watch or belt or whatever and have you walk through again. Or they take that wand and scan you up and down.

Personally, I don't think it would be a bad thing at the parks. This country is too far gone as far as hand guns go. We are never going to be the UK, Japan, Australia, or Canada in that respect. They hold a lot of ammo and carrying a couple through in your cargo shorts wouldn't be difficult regardless of how many cameras or people are watching.

I don't doubt Disney has fabulous security. That being said, I would never rely on them alone to protect my family. I am always watching and aware of my surroundings. I always know who is standing next to my son, and after travelling through many airports, I always notice an unattended bag.

Eyes and ears open everyone! :earsboy: Don't be afraid to speak up.

In Disney now. The only thing I saw different yesterday was a Orange County officer at bag check. Not sure if that was because of the bombing or not. There is no "noticeable" increase in security.

There is always a deputy at the bag check area all 4 parks and water parks too,
perhaps you haven't noticed them

I don't doubt Disney has fabulous security. That being said, I would never rely on them alone to protect my family. I am always watching and aware of my surroundings. I always know who is standing next to my son, and after travelling through many airports, I always notice an unattended bag.

Eyes and ears open everyone! :earsboy: Don't be afraid to speak up.

This the best that all of us can do, everywhere we go

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter