Any security changes at WDW?

I can vouch for this. Several years ago we were staying at VWL and heading out to the parks in the morning. I stayed behind to leave little "gifts from Mickey" for the grandchildren to find upon our return. Apparently my 2 yr old granddaughter didn't like being carried out to the main lodge by her grandfather and started crying - louder & louder. I couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 minutes behind them. But by the time I got to the main lobby there were 4 or more "tourists" surrounding my husband, granddaughter & grandson - with granddaughter now crying at the top of her lungs for "Gigi!". My husband explained what was going on, but they were stuck to him like glue till I arrived on the scene. Then one of the "tourists" said: "Thank God you're here, Gigi!" and they all just disappeared....

Another time I was sitting near the Star Wars Jedi Training stage waiting for the kids to have their turn as Padewans. Someone apparently left a backpack near some tables & chairs nearby. I didn't even notice it until plainsclothes & uniformed officers with dogs surrounded the bag. They seemed to appear spontaneously out of nowhere. The bag ended up being left innocently by someone, but the response by security was "magical" in more ways than one.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I LOVE the anecdotes from people who have seen "hidden" security first hand. And Gigi, I'm sure EVERYONE was happy when you showed up--most of all your granddaughter!! GREAT story!!! :wave2:

Thanks, johnsmom - You're right -I'm sure everybody in the lobby WAS relieved! Her screams could be ear-piercing at that age - and that lobby is cavernous!!!:duck:

In Disney now. The only thing I saw different yesterday was a Orange County officer at bag check. Not sure if that was because of the bombing or not. There is no "noticeable" increase in security.

There's always OC officers in the park, they're just usually backstage.

Like others have said, there is a lot of unseen security in Disney. I remember years ago my friend and I were speaking with her older sisters husband, they lived in Florida at the time and were over visiting, we were discussing how great it must be to live there etc and we got round to talking about Disney security (his friend trains dogs for the K-9 units). He said that the security there was second to none and mentioned that highly trained working dog units are in all parks and resorts all day, every day behind the scenes. At the time I thought 'I have never seen or heard dogs unless with the very visible K-9 unit' but last year when getting the ME into SSR my mum and I saw a dog close to where any vehicles turn in to enter the resort, it wasn't in full view and it made me think that there actually could be highly trained sniffer dogs everywhere ready to alert security to any suspicious odours that they detect. I really don't know if this is the case but after seeing that dog I don't think it's impossible.

My neighbor told me a story about when they were in line for It's a Small World and a girl fell between the boats breaking her leg. He said the amount of security that showed up within seconds was astounding. With that said, it still doesn't prevent anyone from sneaking a gun in their pockets and getting a few rounds off. I would be okay with the metal detectors but I'm sure too many people would complain about the added wait time. There will never be pat downs so I just can't see it being that secure. Not to mention how easy it would be to do something at one of the resorts or DTD.

My neighbor told me a story about when they were in line for It's a Small World and a girl fell between the boats breaking her leg. He said the amount of security that showed up within seconds was astounding. With that said, it still doesn't prevent anyone from sneaking a gun in their pockets and getting a few rounds off. I would be okay with the metal detectors but I'm sure too many people would complain about the added wait time. There will never be pat downs so I just can't see it being that secure. Not to mention how easy it would be to do something at one of the resorts or DTD.

I shudder to think of the lines with metal detectors. Having to either wear no jewelry, or take it off and put it on again. No belts. Even gum wrappers set of the metal detectors in my home airport. And what would they do if you set the detector off more than once? Pat down? They would have to have bins and tables just like the airports, for you to put your stuff in. And then someone on the other side to make sure the right person is picking up the right stuff. It would be a lot of trouble for not much reward.

once during an EE in tomorrowland (in front of the people mover) i literally walked into DH and i fell down - i'm clumsy like that....

before i even got up off the ground there were 3 security types in black with walkie talkies right there next to us, asking if i were alright

i said "where did you 3 COME from????!!!!"

they wouldn't leave until i assured them i was fine, all good, nothing to see here...

Since 9/11, I've worried about terrorism and Disney. It's such a wonderful, magical place for families...

There are times when our bags have been passed through with hardly a glance. I assume they must know what they are looking for...

Thankfully when I get inside, the magic trumps any worries for me.

KC

I don't worry much about security in the parks. What bothers me is the transportation system. Suicide bombers on a crowded bus or monorail seems like it should be easy.

I can vouch for this. Several years ago we were staying at VWL and heading out to the parks in the morning. I stayed behind to leave little "gifts from Mickey" for the grandchildren to find upon our return. Apparently my 2 yr old granddaughter didn't like being carried out to the main lodge by her grandfather and started crying - louder & louder. I couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 minutes behind them. But by the time I got to the main lobby there were 4 or more "tourists" surrounding my husband, granddaughter & grandson - with granddaughter now crying at the top of her lungs for "Gigi!". My husband explained what was going on, but they were stuck to him like glue till I arrived on the scene. Then one of the "tourists" said: "Thank God you're here, Gigi!" and they all just disappeared....

Another time I was sitting near the Star Wars Jedi Training stage waiting for the kids to have their turn as Padewans. Someone apparently left a backpack near some tables & chairs nearby. I didn't even notice it until plainsclothes & uniformed officers with dogs surrounded the bag. They seemed to appear spontaneously out of nowhere. The bag ended up being left innocently by someone, but the response by security was "magical" in more ways than one.

This is really good to know they are watching and around to take charge in a bad situation :thumbsup2

We visited EPCOT September 2011. My mother in law and I didn't have any bags so we walked right in while my husband and father in law waited to have their bags checked. The family that was before my husband in the bag check line finished and proceeded to walk towards the park. A man in regular clothes approached the family and asked the guy what he had clipped under his shirt. The guy lifted up his shirt and he had a small handgun. They explained to him he couldn't have the gun there. I didn't stay to hear what happened, I'm assuming they either took it or told him to leave. They must have been watching him as he was in line. He walked right by us and I couldn't tell he had anything under his shirt.

We visited EPCOT September 2011. My mother in law and I didn't have any bags so we walked right in while my husband and father in law waited to have their bags checked. The family that was before my husband in the bag check line finished and proceeded to walk towards the park. A man in regular clothes approached the family and asked the guy what he had clipped under his shirt. The guy lifted up his shirt and he had a small handgun. They explained to him he couldn't have the gun there. I didn't stay to hear what happened, I'm assuming they either took it or told him to leave. They must have been watching him as he was in line. He walked right by us and I couldn't tell he had anything under his shirt.

Concealed weapons are often not undetectable. They print through your clothes and a person often walks differently when wearing that weight. Some people also have the bad habit of touching their weapon not unlike the unconscious habit of checking one's keys.

I understand why Disney has plain clothes officers in the park, however, I do not think an increase in uniformed officers is a bad idea either. Sometimes a uniform is a deterrence in itself. The military will increase the number of uniformed members as a means of deterrance for particular situations. I am all for deterrance, proactive over reactive. Just saying... adding a few more uniformed officers at the security check points is not a bad plan.

Also, I am one of those that actually thanks airport security when they give me extra checks. I feel much better knowing they are doing good job checking everyone, no matter how much it may delay me getting through security or how much I have to remove from my pockets.

I understand why Disney has plain clothes officers in the park, however, I do not think an increase in uniformed officers is a bad idea either. Sometimes a uniform is a deterrence in itself. The military will increase the number of uniformed members as a means of deterrance for particular situations. I am all for deterrance, proactive over reactive. Just saying... adding a few more uniformed officers at the security check points is not a bad plan.

Also, I am one of those that actually thanks airport security when they give me extra checks. I feel much better knowing they are doing good job checking everyone, no matter how much it may delay me getting through security or how much I have to remove from my pockets.

Not sure if it was mentioned previously but the whole bag check was done out of appeasing the public after 9/11. Disney management knew that is was not "effective" security countermeasures, but due to customer complaints about a lack of security it was put in place. It serves merely as a deterrent.

Anyone that works in the security/law enforcement/counter terrorism could point out countless flaws in that system (employees are not screened, no metal detectors, free access to resorts/monorails, no screenings for vehicles, etc). But, it gives people a sense of security and that is a big thing. If someone wanted to do something bad, they don't have to do it in a park, but merely in the proximity of Disney (heck if they did something at a Disney store in Iowa, the headlines would just display "disney").

Not sure if it was mentioned previously but the whole bag check was done out of appeasing the public after 9/11. Disney management knew that is was not "effective" security countermeasures, but due to customer complaints about a lack of security it was put in place. It serves merely as a deterrent.

Anyone that works in the security/law enforcement/counter terrorism could point out countless flaws in that system (employees are not screened, no metal detectors, free access to resorts/monorails, no screenings for vehicles, etc). But, it gives people a sense of security and that is a big thing. If someone wanted to do something bad, they don't have to do it in a park, but merely in the proximity of Disney (heck if they did something at a Disney store in Iowa, the headlines would just display "disney").

I agree the Disney bag checks doesn't seem to accomplish much. They don't dig around far enough into the bag to really tell what is in there and bags are not being scanned by any machines to detect anything. When I go through the line, I start pulling things out my bad so they can see the bottom. Not many people do this and they just end up looking at the top of the bag. I am AD military and yes I notice many security flaws in many places. Coming back into port from a cruise has thus far been my observation of worst security measures. They did not even check our documents, just kept waving us through until we were out on the street.

After 9/11 Disney security was asked by the government to help with how to handle security. They are considered the best with technology and behind the scenes security. I'm sure there are bomb and chemical sensing devices around. We saw a man tear a Disney workers pocket on his shirt when the guy tried to jump line. Within 60 seconds he was on the ground with three plain clothed sec guards, 2 in uniforms and a couple Orange County sheriffs. They literally came thru bushes and took him down.

I was there before, during and after the bombing. No noticeable difference. I will say that sometimes the bag check is more complete then you think. One time my power charger for my cell phone was removed and examined. The officer explained that it looked a lot like something (can't recall what but I think it was a weapon) that wasn't allowed in the parks but once he examined it then I was good to go in with it.

Bag checks are never completely effective in and of themselves, but they can be an important part of a larger security plan. As others have stated, they provide a good way to allow the crowd to be checked out using means in addition to the bag checks. It should also be noted that a number of firearms have been found via the bag check, so apparently it is somewhat effective.

That being said, I don't believe that any actual Disney management has ever stated that they were aware that the bag check wasn't 'effective' or that it was point in place merely to appease the public.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Today we saw a handful of uniformed officers at DHS exit & the K-9 unit was visibly parked in front of MK the other day. To some degree, that type of increased security is for guest reassurance. Skittish guests will be reassured by the presence of additional security, though I agree there is a fine line between that and armed guards. :)

Ah, yes some skittish guests will be reassured. However, this guest (not necessarily skittish ;)) would think differently.

If I go somewhere and see uniformed officers and K-9 units at a place I don't normally see them, my first reaction would be "what do they know that I don't know, why are they here today". I would much rather not see them but know they will come out of sewer drains if necessary if something does happen.

We have witnessed security coming out of nowhere to check an unattended bag while eating at a CS place (was in DHS, don't remember where specifically, was a few years ago).

It really is amazing how on top of things they are. I don't need to know what they are doing, I don't need to see it regularly, I just need to know they are there, and watching everything.:thumbsup2 (IMHO).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter