Any other families planning for a furlough?

psimon said:
Here, if we do get approval for overtime, as a professional, our overtime rate is less than our regular hourly rate! On top of that, there is a ceiling as to how much we can make in total.... so we are not paid well to work overtime.

---Paul in Southern NJ

This is semi the logic why I always go for comp time over OT, and am very grateful to have that option. OT is taxed, and at the end of the day I'd rather have my free time back than more money than expected.

My fiance prepared for the furlough by getting a new job. He starts Monday.

They were already being told before these potential cuts that there basically wasn't going to be any money to fund the projects they were working on so basically they would just be sitting around and they already shut down his work location and moved him to another location a few months ago. The location they shut down was the only location in the US where his type of work could be done.

Its ridiculous how much spending waste there is in his division alone. I'm glad I won't have to hear the stories and have first hand knowledge anymore. This isn't anything new and has been going on forever so it has nothing to do with the current administration.

This is semi the logic why I always go for comp time over OT, and am very grateful to have that option. OT is taxed, and at the end of the day I'd rather have my free time back than more money than expected.

Agreed! :thumbsup2

After struggling with teaching jobs and layoffs for several years we moved last September 900 miles so my husband could accept a DOD instructor job. Move was at our own expense, and we haven't recovered from this yet...add on top of that that I just found out that my work contract is ending (completely separate thread...) so now we are completely dependent on his income. This couldn't come at a worse time.

That said, he has heard nothing about furloughs...yet.

So no, we aren't prepared, but are already looking at what we can tighten because of my job loss.

After struggling with teaching jobs and layoffs for several years we moved last September 900 miles so my husband could accept a DOD instructor job. Move was at our own expense, and we haven't recovered from this yet...add on top of that that I just found out that my work contract is ending (completely separate thread...) so now we are completely dependent on his income. This couldn't come at a worse time.

That said, he has heard nothing about furloughs...yet.

So no, we aren't prepared, but are already looking at what we can tighten because of my job loss.

Just out of curiosity, what base is your DH at? I am in Pensacola. DH is at Corry Station and is an instructor too.

I finished my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and decided both because I wanted to and because the economy was iffy two years ago to get a master's too. Now I'm trying to move back home to MD and get a job and its like everything is stagnant. Everyone's holding their breath to see what happens.

My parents were already fine with me moving back in and know it might take me a little longer to find a job but man, you don't expect to get an advanced engineering degree then worry about being employed. I don't want to be a drain on them.

I finished my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and decided both because I wanted to and because the economy was iffy two years ago to get a master's too. Now I'm trying to move back home to MD and get a job and its like everything is stagnant. Everyone's holding their breath to see what happens.

My parents were already fine with me moving back in and know it might take me a little longer to find a job but man, you don't expect to get an advanced engineering degree then worry about being employed. I don't want to be a drain on them.

Not that this is going to help you feel any better, but even people who just got PhD's in science and math fields are having trouble getting work right now, so at least you can know it's not just you.

Not that this is going to help you feel any better, but even people who just got PhD's in science and math fields are having trouble getting work right now, so at least you can know it's not just you.
I agree with mistysue, I work in HR and we see many people who are applying for lower level work who have a PhD and have tons of experience in other areas. Hang in there. :goodvibes

Depending on where you are in MD, have you considered switching to Software Engineering? The Beltway Bandits are continuing to grow, even in this economy.

Just out of curiosity, what base is your DH at? I am in Pensacola. DH is at Corry Station and is an instructor too.

We moved from Pensacola (Pace) to Fort Lee in Virginia. He had taught middle school in Santa Rosa County.

Fyrefly said:

Ford Motor Company is hiring - Dearborn, Michigan.

Trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and cancel our cable tv, the newspaper, and my gym membership. DH and I are instituting "operation tighten our belts" so I guess it's time!

We've been joking that we're going to cut back on our wine budget, my jewelry and manicure budget, going out to the movies, our daily coffee habits,etc. We know how to squeak a penny, so cutting back on things we already spend $0 on won't really help! DH has proclaimed he will now use his daily tea bag for two days!:lmao:

Trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and cancel our cable tv, the newspaper, and my gym membership. DH and I are instituting "operation tighten our belts" so I guess it's time!

Be careful.... depending what your "plan" is, your internet costs may go up negating a good portion of your savings or you may lose it totally!

---Paul in Southern NJ

Be careful.... depending what your "plan" is, your internet costs may go up negating a good portion of your savings or you may lose it totally!

---Paul in Southern NJ

Yeah, I'll be asking what the best deal is. We may not be able to cut lower. We have the problem with most things we've talked about cutting, already being on a basic plan.

We've been joking that we're going to cut back on our wine budget, my jewelry and manicure budget, going out to the movies, our daily coffee habits,etc. We know how to squeak a penny, so cutting back on things we already spend $0 on won't really help! DH has proclaimed he will now use his daily tea bag for two days!:lmao:

I would get rid of the gym membership and the newspaper but I would keep at least basic cable and definitely the internet. You need some type of entertainment.

And here @ my job, we have multiple engineering positions open but not enough qualified people applying.

Depending on where you are in MD, have you considered switching to Software Engineering? The Beltway Bandits are continuing to grow, even in this economy.

Not really feasible - I can do some programming on my own but I'm not going back to school for 4 years for CompSci. Completely different fields.

And here @ my job, we have multiple engineering positions open but not enough qualified people applying.

What firm? I'll apply. :thumbsup2

I think the above poster stating "de-certifed for AUO and FLSA" in addition to one day off with pay every 2 weeks = 40% less pay. You have to adjust for the de-certifed for AUO and FLSA which reduces your salary significantly. Wow! Not good.

I would get rid of the gym membership and the newspaper but I would keep at least basic cable and definitely the internet. You need some type of entertainment.

We're definitely keeping internet. I'll need it for my job hunt!

It's just hard to know how real this thing is. We already live frugally, we have an emergency fund etc., but as to whether this will be a non-existent, temporary, or permanent squeeze, it would be nice to know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter