• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any other families planning for a furlough?

DH will be of one day every week. They also found out today which jobs they will need to cut from their office next year. Fortunately, most of those positions are not even filled, so it won't affect too many actual people.

We have done 3 days so far. And yes it's hurts a lot. Lets just hope they wake up or this will continue for 9 more years. I know a lot of people that are leaving because of this plus no raises

DH's starts tomorrow as well, he will be off every Friday. I looked into unemployment, but according to what I've read online in NC it has to be consecutive, not one day a week.

I can't remember what he called it (I was looking for painkillers for a toothache while he was talking), but for DH's position he's required to be in the National Guard and his unit is working on adding extra drill days to try to make up for some of the pay. Also at the beginning of Oct. DH goes to active duty because he has to go back to school for a new MOS so his furlough won't be as long as others, that'll take some of the sting off of us.

We're estimating we'll lose about $700 a paycheck like Smitch and it's pretty scary for us. Of course just in this week we've found out our son needs surgery next week (about $800 out of pocket), DH tore his ACL and he needs new brakes on his car. Oh, and our downstairs air conditioner went out, but we put in a window unit to deal with that and it hasn't been bad at all. But when we were talking to the kids about losing pay and cutting back our 9yo says "well, at least I'll get to spend more time with Daddy" :lovestruc so, yeah, there is that.

I know many people who have lost their jobs due to this and a few who are down to 20 hours per week.

Unemployment is not based on how much you lost but how much you still make. If you have a $52K/year job, that means you make $200/day. You will be making $800/week and not get any unemployment.

I am a Payroll Mgr. and work with unemployment all the time. A lot of factors go into collecting unemployment. Yes it is based on how much you still make but how much you made in previous quarters also plays a roll. If you had high quarters last year and are cut to 32 hours now you might be eligible if your wages are not over the highest amount of qualifying wages. Not everyone makes $52k/year. Our company works a lot of overtime in the summer months and then is slow during the winter and I have seen employees that only need 1 hour off to be able to collect unemployment. Just thought it might help someone in this situation.

Best of luck to you! DH took his first furlough day Monday. He'll go to Fridays starting next week, but has the option to pick different days each week if he wants to. I am just ready for the first furlough check to come so we know exactly what we are dealing with. We have estimated a $700 pay cut per check. Hopefully our math is wrong! :rotfl2:

Yikes, I hope it isn't that much!

I know many people who have lost their jobs due to this and a few who are down to 20 hours per week.

Unemployment is not based on how much you lost but how much you still make. If you have a $52K/year job, that means you make $200/day. You will be making $800/week and not get any unemployment.

The scary thing is that out of that $800 per week still has to come the 30% plus worth of taxes, ins, etc etc etc and what you are left with won't be much.

The scary thing is that out of that $800 per week still has to come the 30% plus worth of taxes, ins, etc etc etc and what you are left with won't be much.

A few of my co workers saw over 200 reduction in take home for one day

DH's furlough days are on Wednesdays so we have gone through our first one. I know only one day will be off the first check. I really need to see that first check with both days off to get a complete picture. I think we will be OK. I have been stockpiling food :rotfl: and whatnot so we can have minimal expenditures. Between my stockpiles and what we have in savings I think we will be OK but I don't really know.

We have already started discussing what to do for next year though as DH is pretty sure they will just keep doing this to us.

We began furloughs this week also. A few months ago we were given a spreadsheet to calculate what our take home would be without the 20%. It shows what figures stay the same and what changes.

We began furloughs this week also. A few months ago we were given a spreadsheet to calculate what our take home would be without the 20%. It shows what figures stay the same and what changes.

We were given that calculator, too. Sadly, our math is probably not incorrect, but until I see it in the account, I still have a glimmer of hope. :rotfl2:

DH is on a 4 day week, 8 hour days. IF it wasn't such a hit on the finances, it would be a great work week. :rotfl:

He works for the DoD and it is the biggest employer in the area, so thousands are affected by it. I think it would have an impact on the local economies as well.

I know we are not planning on dining out, or even getting take out for the next couple of months. I put off getting new carpet, and other home improvements.

DD18 will be starting school in the fall, and we are looking at used vehicles, BUT, unless I can get a really terrific deal, we won't be doing that either.

I, also, wanted to take a weekend w/ DH for our 20th anniversary that is coming up, but we won't be doing that either.

So we won't have any problems meeting our financial obligations, but all the discretionary spending has stopped. :(

I'm IRS. So far, I've taken three out of the five furlough days.

Our acting commisioner sent all of us an email detailing that if we give up our bonuses for the year, he'll cancel the two additional furlough days.

Here's the problem. My anticipated bonus is more than two days pay.

As a result, I'd be working the additional two days, and get paid less.

We'll see what happens. Our union is naturally fighting this proposal. I just wish something constructive would be done. But with the scandals rocking the IRS this summer (of which 95% of the IRS had nothing to do with), I'm not anticipating any break from Congress.

Defense furloughs down from 11 days to 6!!!

DH is a DoD employee. He has not received official notice so we are hoping and praying that he is included. The news article I read said SOME DoD employees.

I'm DoD employee, my husband is DoD employee. Between us, we've lost $2,000 a month, or $500/a day/a person. It's been hard--we can pay our necessary bills & that's it--nothing fun or extra. At least there's an end in sight (until next year, when it may start again). I think we'll actually get back most of what we've lost with taxes in April when we file them, but it's the living in the meantime that's been hard. Like others, we've cut lots of fluff anyway, and don't spend anywhere near the amount we've lost on unnecessary stuff. The government could have made it easier as well--if *something* could have been planned--1 day a paycheck vs. 2 for example. Combined with no COLA increases & no bonuses, we're getting paid less now than 4 years ago, as of course insurance has gone up every year. I know other families have suffered as well, for this & other non-related stuff, so I'm trying not to whine too much. I also heard the anti-governement employee talk, which drives me nuts. Like others have said, the work doesn't go away with furlough (or vacation), just waits until the next work day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter