Any federal employees facing a furlough?

This:thumbsup2

My DH was a Naval Officer and we lived in VA Beach. Talk about a military town:)

In the DC area, businesses are offering freebies to furloughed government employees who have a gov id. Things like discounts in particular. Some people are empathetic. Others like that poster are just flat out ignorant.

I was just watching the news on the "freebies" and had to laugh. This one place was offering a free sandwich to all government employees with an ID EXCEPT if you work for Congress--then they were giving NOTHING!:thumbsup2

Over 8,700 people have been furloughed at my husband's place of work. If you don't think the surrounding restaurants and small business will notice, you must not live in a military town.

To everyone here, please stop making this a political debate. Political threads are not allowed on this website and will be locked. The only intent of this thread is to share stories and share ways to make it through OUR furlough periods. Unless you are being furloughed, you really have no reason to be posting in this thread. Yes, this is a public forum, but this is a hard time for many of us, and quite frankly we don't need to be jumped on about things we have absolutely nothing to do with. It isn't our fault the government is shut down. It isn't our fault the government is too big. It isn't our fault that this is happening, so please leave us alone and let us seek comfort in the fact that people here understand what we are going through and NOT people who assume they know what we are going through because some of you don't have the slightest clue.[/QUOTE

No it isn't your fault. Hang in there, hopefully this won't last.

PS. DH was a Govt emp.

I did look at data. I have a college degree, and the jobs I was comparing were jobs that required a college degree. I like my job it's close to home, but I'm not the one complaining about getting a pay cut. My point was government employees are overpaid. I know you probably think taxes should be raised to support your income, but I believe in cutting spending and lowering taxes. I guess we have a different way of looking at things. I doubt anybody will even notice the "non essential job furloughs" because they are just that "non essential" jobs that are not necessary.

Government employees in positions that require a college degree are not overpaid. Absolutely not. I know how much my peers in government make and I make $40.000 more a year with a better benefits package. And my salary is not unique in the private sector. The biased Heritage Foundation study was designed to get the results that that authors wanted. Many other studies have found the exact opposite.

Sorry, but you are quite misinformed.

So when I left work today I found out that one of the guys who was supposed to be on paternity leave was called back in because he is an excepted employee, he was home for about 1 week with his new daughter, and now he has to work nights until this is done, I am sure his wife is real happy.
I know another person who is in disney right now and was told he has to cancel his vacation. He either has to come home or stay on vacation and not get paid.

Great benefits there.

Over 8,700 people have been furloughed at my husband's place of work. If you don't think the surrounding restaurants and small business will notice, you must not live in a military town.

This is called a company town. They did not feel the effects in 2008, because the government kept paying. Others towns felt it then. This time it is a different company.

To everyone here, please stop making this a political debate. Political threads are not allowed on this website and will be locked. The only intent of this thread is to share stories and share ways to make it through OUR furlough periods. Unless you are being furloughed, you really have no reason to be posting in this thread. Yes, this is a public forum, but this is a hard time for many of us, and quite frankly we don't need to be jumped on about things we have absolutely nothing to do with. It isn't our fault the government is shut down. It isn't our fault the government is too big. It isn't our fault that this is happening, so please leave us alone and let us seek comfort in the fact that people here understand what we are going through and NOT people who assume they know what we are going through because some of you don't have the slightest clue.

I understand it and I am confused by the poor me attitude. You really did not see it coming? Living paycheck to paycheck is a very dangerous way to live.

Anybody can lose their job at any time.

I remember, in 2008 - 2010, reading posts from government workers that they were safe and scant show little compassion for those laid off. They did not have a job to go back to, like the ones here do.

I feel sorry for the ones who had approved vacation or are on medical leave that are not allowed to go or are deemed essential and must report.

Since your DH was only furloughed for 6 days and mine was for 15 days, do I get more say then you do? :confused3. That is what you are telling the others. :rolleyes1

He is furloughed again today. We are not crying poverty or going to the food bank. We put his time to good use and have him do tasks that need to be done.

Exactly. Dentists, construction workers, retail workers, restaurant employees. Everyone here is struggling with the effects of the prior salary freezes, overtime freezes, and furloughs. School bonds etc. are being put off because we know they won't pass.

I find it hard to fathom ANYONE thinking it doesn't affect them.

And govt. workers haven't? As already mentioned they haven't gotten raises in years and they often time get paid considerably less than their private sector equals. I also know plenty of people who have been promoted and are still being paid at lower salaries, doing more work for less money, but they continue to do it because they love their work and their country and believe what they do is important.

As I already stated, in this situation I am excepted so I have to work but I have no idea if or when I will get paid, but I will continue to do it because my job is important. My wife is furloughed and likely won't get paid. My Sister and BIL are both furloughed. Our Disney trip at the end of the month that I have planned and saved for over the past year is now in jeopardy. But hey thems the breaks huh? That is what we get for being greedy contractors and lazy govt. workers. We should have to face cutbacks like the rest of the country, right, nevermind the hardships that my family has been going through already over the last few months which forced us to sell our house for a loss. Uninformed people like you are a huge part of this problem. It's unbelievable.

You are grossly misinformed about a lot of this, and I suggest you do some research before you continue to spout off about these topics that you obviously know very little about.

::: stands and applauds :::
:cheer2:

I doubt anybody will even notice the "non essential job furloughs" because they are just that "non essential" jobs that are not necessary.

you must not live in an area with a large fed employee/military community. we still haven't recovered from the furlough this summer.

My daughter is a server in a restaurant in a military town. Business is DEAD today.

Yes, really! Believe what you want. It won't change what they posted.

Saying it doesn't make it true either.

But if it is true, what can you say? Some people suck. And there is plenty of evidence of that on this thread.

I did look at data. I have a college degree, and the jobs I was comparing were jobs that required a college degree. I like my job it's close to home, but I'm not the one complaining about getting a pay cut. My point was government employees are overpaid. I know you probably think taxes should be raised to support your income, but I believe in cutting spending and lowering taxes. I guess we have a different way of looking at things. I doubt anybody will even notice the "non essential job furloughs" because they are just that "non essential" jobs that are not necessary.

Not true. My sister is an attorney with a branch of the federal government. When she worked for a private firm, she made lots more money. But she loved working being on the other side, so after a few years at a firm, she went back to federal work. She gets paid a lot less than she did back then, hasn't seen a raise in years, worked thru Thanksgiving weekend (including Thanksgiving Day) a few years ago for no extra money, and for her hard work she got furloughed. So she won't be spending any extra money, and it will be worse for her team, so someone will be feeling that.

:cool1::cool1:
Saying it doesn't make it true either.

But if it is true, what can you say? Some people suck. And there is plenty of evidence of that on this thread.
:cheer2::cheer2::yay::yay:
I wouldn't ever beat somebody up when they are down. If it was in my power to help I would. And how prepared can somebody be when they have just ridden out a furlough? I would guess some savings went toward that. And remember that many of the non-essentials are lower paid workers such as house keeping, kitchen workers, yard workers... There are single mothers, parents who are responsibly paying their kids' college tuition... I know as a private worker my dh has been laid off repeatedly over the past three years. We haven't had time to recoup and prepare for another downturn. Many federal workers have had several furloughs as well. They have also been on a pay freeze for several years and before that their raises did not come close to cost of living. Civilian DOD workers do not have the perks of government workers. But enough of that.
Here's a prayer for all that this madness will end soon, before the next fight over the debt ceiling. If republicans are opposed to Obama Care they need to fight to have it repealed through legitimate means, the same way it is passed. If elected officials vote their constituents wishes and it is repealed I would support that. You can't just bypass the process by holding people hostage to your bully tactics.

My husband is Active Duty and we are currently stationed overseas. My children attend a DoD school. Teachers have to work, but don't know when or if they will get paid. Government workers here are being furloughed all over base. Seems like a small thing, but we now have lost our AFN (TV for American's living overseas). Not a big deal to most, but when you are far from home, every little bit helps. Our commissary is thankfully still open, but don't know for how long. Shopping entirely on the Japanese economy will interesting and expensive.

It's just a totally sucky situation!

My husband is Active Duty and we are currently stationed overseas. My children attend a DoD school. Teachers have to work, but don't know when or if they will get paid. Government workers here are being furloughed all over base. Seems like a small thing, but we now have lost our AFN (TV for American's living overseas). Not a big deal to most, but when you are far from home, every little bit helps. Our commissary is thankfully still open, but don't know for how long. Shopping entirely on the Japanese economy will interesting and expensive.

It's just a totally sucky situation!
When my daughter worked in Tokyo she didn't find it that expensive to buy on the Japanese economy. Those who did were the ones who insisted continuing the American diet and not adjusting to how the Japanese eat and live.

I understand it and I am confused by the poor me attitude. You really did not see it coming? Living paycheck to paycheck is a very dangerous way to live.

Anybody can lose their job at any time.

I remember, in 2008 - 2010, reading posts from government workers that they were safe and scant show little compassion for those laid off. They did not have a job to go back to, like the ones here do.

I feel sorry for the ones who had approved vacation or are on medical leave that are not allowed to go or are deemed essential and must report.

Since your DH was only furloughed for 6 days and mine was for 15 days, do I get more say then you do? :confused3. That is what you are telling the others. :rolleyes1

He is furloughed again today. We are not crying poverty or going to the food bank. We put his time to good use and have him do tasks that need to be done.

Show me one post, just one, where I have ever said "poor me". You must have me confused with someone else. My comments were in response to the two people who have come into this thread today only to be disrespectful to those who have been furloughed and to talk politics. That is not what this thread is supposed to be about. We don't live paycheck to paycheck (couldn't be further from the truth, actually), so I'm not sure why you are saying I am living dangerously. :confused3 We knew it was coming, and we are very prepared. I also have no idea what are talking about when you say "that is what you are telling the others". The ONLY thing I have said in this thread today is that it is a thread meant for information and support and that it is not a political thread. I have been, and will always continue to be, respectful to every poster on this site. I don't know who or what you think I am, but none of the comments you have made in your post really apply to me, except that my DH was furloughed for 6 days. I am sorry that your husband had to be furloughed, and I can assure you that had I been on this site in 2008-2010, I would have been one of the first people showing support for those in that situation. I truly don't understand your comments towards me, but hopefully this post will clear up any confusion on who I am, and what I'm all about.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "company town". We live in a military town, as in Wright-Patterson AFB. Thousands of civilian and military workers.

Every single person furloughed here today got a SF-8 form to use for filing for unemployment benefits. :confused3

Nope. We did not. Nor was it mentioned.

From what I can find, apparently we may be eligible, but you realize it takes 3-4 weeks minimum to process applications if you're even eligible? So, let's spend more gov money. It's such a chess game. But, I also find conflicting info that says Fed employees "may" be eligible. It varies state to state. I'm guessing we're not eligible in the DC area which doesn't surprise me.

Everyone who is not sure whether they qualify for unemployment should contact your state labor department or wherever you would file for unemployment and ask if you qualify for unemployment when furloughed and what you have to do to collect.

I was furloughed for two weeks in 2008. I qualified for unemployment based on my state regulations, and the fact that I was furloughed for five or more consecutive days. Others who worked at the company but lived and worked in other states did not qualify for unemployment in the same way.

I think it took a few weeks to get the unemployment check, which was around half my salary, but I was grateful for it. I am not sure what the process was, since everyone in our office was furloughed, HR provided the forms and outlined the process (I just followed the directions provided by HR and mailed the form, it was a very simple process).

Good luck to all of you going through this. :grouphug:

When my daughter worked in Tokyo she didn't find it that expensive to buy on the Japanese economy. Those who did were the ones who insisted continuing the American diet and not adjusting to how the Japanese eat and live.

I'm not sure how you meant that, but honestly, why should they have to adapt to the Japanese diet? They have access to a commissary because they are US military serving overseas and the commissaries should be open. They're not there for a cultural experience.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter