Any federal employees facing a furlough?

Uncle Remus said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :thumbsup2

And to the PP, you really don't know what you're talking about.

I totally agree on both points. To PP, this really isn't the place to express your pre judgments about what you've decided are 'insulated' workers. You really don't have any idea about how hard working both our military and our civilians are.

Sadly, yeah. I sometimes wonder at the number of people who just don't get the idea that roads, bridges, passports, their safety, the (somewhat) clean air that they breathe, the non-spoiled food that they eat and the safe drugs that they take were all brought to them via government services. I think they think those things just somehow happen. :confused3

I think people get that, but there is so much waste, and too many regulations. A lot of government jobs should be cut. Our government is bankrupt. I don't get why government employees think they should be immune to cut backs. In the private sector people get their hours cut all the time. Yes we need our roads, schools etc, but there are a ton of government programs and jobs we could get rid of, and this country would be better off for it.

It's embarrassing that this actually happened and neither "side" is correct. People need to grow up and work together to fix something that is badly broken. The American people are just stuck between two stubborn children who refuse to compromise and we are the ones that are getting hurt.

Yes. No one in congress or the senate is losing any money.

Ofinn said:
I think people get that, but there is so much waste, and too many regulations. A lot of government jobs should be cut. Our government is bankrupt. I don't get why government employees think they should be immune to cut backs. In the private sector people get their hours cut all the time. Yes we need our roads, schools etc, but there are a ton of government programs and jobs we could get rid of, and this country would be better off for it.

Have you considered starting your own anti thread?
This thread is for honest, hardworking folks to keep in touch and share. The positive support offered here is very helpful to those that are personally affected.

Other than the military and those associated directly with it - I'm ok with it. I also don't believe that those non-essential employees should be given back pay. Let them take unemployment (if out long enough) like the rest of the common folk.

The private sector has been struggling for many years now. Maybe the insulated govt employees will see what it's like to live with job uncertainty. Lots of folks downsized years ago are underemployed and working more than one job to make ends meet all the while supporting plum government jobs.

It's time to figure out what the real role of government is and only fund it to that extent - we have far overreached what's necessary to run the country and in fact have stretched government to the detriment of the private sector.
Of course you're OK with it. It doesn't affect you. You must be one of the "Cut everything.......unless it affects me" crowd.

Your comment shows much ignorance.

FYI. The private sector is much affected. There are hundreds of thousands of government contractors who are on unpaid leave because their government programs are closed. These contractors don't get back pay either. Think about that.

I don't think government workers feel that way. We al know that cuts need to be made and, when those cuts are made, they should be made with a strategic look at each agency and done in a smart way so that unneccesary positions are eliminated. That's just common sense. And the federal workforce has fallen over the past several years. It's already happening.

We are, however, resentful at cuts being made because our leaders can't or won't do their job.

There ARE cutbacks. Frozen salaries, hiring freezes, elimination of overtime/comp time. Not many lay-offs because so many government workers are near retirement age and the government can easily cut-back via attrition. That often means that the remaining workers need to pick up the slack to accomplish the same work with less staff. More work without more money.

Government workers also do not get nearly the same perks that many of their private sector peers enjoy. No pizza lunches, complimentary coffee, morning doughnuts, holiday parties, happy hours, etc.

I'll also add the government has grown in large part due to pork barrel spending by the politicians. Again, any ire needs to be directed towards Congress and the White House, not the civil servants.

I don't think government workers feel that way. We al know that cuts need to be made and, when those cuts are made, they should be made with a strategic look at each agency and done in a smart way so that unneccesary positions are eliminated. That's just common sense. And the federal workforce has fallen over the past several years. It's already happening.

We are, however, resentful at cuts being made because our leaders can't or won't do their job.

I agree, but are government fails to do this time and time again.

Every single person furloughed here today got a SF-8 form to use for filing for unemployment benefits. :confused3

Nope. We did not. Nor was it mentioned.

From what I can find, apparently we may be eligible, but you realize it takes 3-4 weeks minimum to process applications if you're even eligible? So, let's spend more gov money. It's such a chess game. But, I also find conflicting info that says Fed employees "may" be eligible. It varies state to state. I'm guessing we're not eligible in the DC area which doesn't surprise me.

There ARE cutbacks. Frozen salaries, hiring freezes, elimination of overtime/comp time. Not many lay-offs because so many government workers are near retirement age and the government can easily cut-back via attrition. That often means that the remaining workers need to pick up the slack to accomplish the same work with less staff. More work without more money.

Government workers also do not get nearly the same perks that many of their private sector peers enjoy. No pizza lunches, complimentary coffee, morning doughnuts, holiday parties, happy hours, etc.

I'll also add the government has grown in large part due to pork barrel spending by the politicians. Again, any ire needs to be directed towards Congress and the White House, not the civil servants.

Pizza, coffee and doughnuts are perks. Happy hours??? I guess I'm working for the wrong company. I know we don't get nice government pensions.

Pizza, coffee and doughnuts are perks. Happy hours??? I guess I'm working for the wrong company. I know we don't get nice government pensions.

Tell me what you consider the "nice government pension" to be? What do you think government workers are getting these days?

I don't know anyone that hasn't had to do more with less. Frozen salaries, frozen hiring process. I have double the work with half the coworkers. Gov't workers taking paycuts, forced non paid days off, and the military is going to be destroyed from inside if Congress never passes a budget.

Your beef needs to be with the lack of true working representation from the people on The Hill. Tell them what you think and that it needs to be made better.
This kicking the can down the road doesn't work for anyone.

I'm sure it's better than what most of us get which is nothing.

Actually, most people, at least in the DC area and other cities that have good industry, get something. Usually in the form of a 401K, which is what the government workers get (called the TSP).

Again, I am sensing a real "sour grapes" attitude here. I don't normally take this attitude with people because I know luck often has a lot to do with things but the words have been used toward me before, on this very site.

If you are unhappy with your life, your job, your benefits, then you have made poor choices. Rather than wish that people "get theirs" why don't you try to make your own job better? If you think a government job is such a cakewalk or some luxury job, then get one yourself. Hint: rather than listen to political parties that have made the civil servants scapegoats in order to further their agendas, actually read what you get and don't get in the civil service. You might learn the truth.

I don't know anyone that hasn't had to do more with less. Frozen salaries, frozen hiring process. I have double the work with half the coworkers. Gov't workers taking paycuts, forced non paid days off, and the military is going to be destroyed from inside if Congress never passes a budget.

Your beef needs to be with the lack of true working representation from the people on The Hill. Tell them what you think and that it needs to be made better.
This kicking the can down the road doesn't work for anyone.

They need to balance the budget if it means getting rid of government jobs and services than that's what needs to be done. It sucks for a lot of people, but the government can't continue down the path it's on. I feel bad for people, but this is the kind of stuff us private sector people deal with on a daily basis. I haven't had a raise in 5 years, I have had to non paid days off that's life. I don't go on message boards looking for sympathy.

Actually, most people, at least in the DC area and other cities that have good industry, get something. Usually in the form of a 401K, which is what the government workers get (called the TSP).

Again, I am sensing a real "sour grapes" attitude here. I don't normally take this attitude with people because I know luck often has a lot to do with things but the words have been used toward me before, on this very site.

If you are unhappy with your life, your job, your benefits, then you have made poor choices. Rather than wish that people "get theirs" why don't you try to make your own job better? If you think a government job is such a cakewalk or some luxury job, then get one yourself. Hint: rather than listen to political parties that have made the civil servants scapegoats in order to further their agendas, actually read what you get and don't get in the civil service. You might learn the truth.

Not a sour grapes attitude. I love my job and my life, but I have had to make sacrifices when the company is not as profitable.

They need to balance the budget if it means getting rid of government jobs and services than that's what needs to be done. It sucks for a lot of people, but the government can't continue down the path it's on. I feel bad for people, but this is the kind of stuff us private sector people deal with on a daily basis. I haven't had a raise in 5 years, I have had to non paid days off that's life. I don't go on message boards looking for sympathy.

Then you of all people should understand. We would give you sympathy.

But as is suspected, you have a race-to-the bottom attitude about it. If you got shafted, so should everyone else.

I agree that gov't elected representatives need to do their job. I agree that a real budget needs to be passed. I will never point the fingers at other Americans and say "sucks to be you." The people need to be mad as hell at Congress and that's it. Congress got money in their bank account today and hundreds of thousands did not. Smirking at those hurting is worthless.

Like I said before, DH's agency has a different funding source so he has to work and will supposedly get paid....except the paychecks are processed through a different agency which is effected, so who knows when the checks will get processed. Wonder if DD's private school will wait for its tuition....

What a nightmare...

Oh, I really love the crack about government pensions. That's a laugh. DH's TSP is set up exactly the way his private company 401(k) was. We contribute and get a match. That's pretty common in the private sector.

I personally blame Congress (both houses and both parties) and the President. How dare these people run this country into the ground! I do not blame government workers who are just trying to do the job they were hired to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter