another WWYD

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by cepmom, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Mkrop

Mkrop <font color=coral>I just cant go on demand<br><fon

well that is a bunch of baloney, given the incubation period, if she hung out with your DD at all, she could have already infected her...way for this mom to be defensive and rude to you.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Katy Belle

Katy Belle DIS Veteran

I probably wouldn't....

BUT...I did keep a friend's child for a weekend, days after her first lice treatment. The parents had planned a weekend away and we had agreed to keep their 3 kids. A couple of days before they left, they discovered lice in the DDs hair. I kept her anyway. Partly because I had the control over the situation. She was the only girl child, so would not be sleeping in the same room as any of my kids. We lived in a house that was all ceramic tile, and had a housekeeper, so it was easier to keep things clean. I washed the bedding every night and used the nit comb in her hair. No one else ever got the lice...but the poor girl had them for months and months!

4. cepmom

cepmom <font color=red>Mine are painted too<br><font colo

You hit the nail on the head....just kept on trying to justify why it was okay without thinking of others. Yes, she told me, gave the option of not going, but then made me feel like crap for backing out.

5. mjkacmom

mjkacmom DIS Veteran

There is always so much lice going around in the younger grades (just received this week's notification), that we do have a no nit policy. In order to be allowed back in school, the nurse will check the child over for about 20 minutes with a pointy stick and a large special magnifying light.

Therefore, lice is a real problem if your child gets it - no school until the nits are gone.

ETA - if someone has lice, the whole class gets checked by the nurse (and usually more turn up).

6. Hannathy

Hannathy <font color=darkorchid>When I stop laughing I will

I'm a bit confused why she can't go if they are going to a neutral place and you dd takes her own bedding since I see she is with her in school? How is that any different? if she was away from this child it may make sense but if she is seeing her in school in her class she is being just as exposed as she would over the weekend.:confused3

Why one place and not the other?

7. cepmom

cepmom <font color=red>Mine are painted too<br><font colo

They aren't in class together, only on the same bus. they have spent any time together outside of a 5 minute bus ride for a couple weeks. Yes, she may have been exposed during the bus ride, but I didn't think it was smart to send her for the weekend where they'll be together for 3 days straight, just in case their might be a chance my dd could come home with lice. They don't spend 3 days straight together during school.

We've never had to deal with lice before(knock wood!) and it was my understanding that one needed to continually comb for nits everyday at least until the 2nd treatment was done to be sure it was taken care of.

I'm not really in a position to deal with a lice issue right now as I recently had shoulder surgery and my right arm is useless at the moment making combing hair nearly impossible, stripping beds, vacuuming etc difficult. It's not a risk I was willing to take right now

. Now if dd has already been exposed, of course I'd have to deal with it somehow, but that's different than knowingly sending her away for 3 days with someone that was just treated for lice and could possibly need further treatment, combing etc.

8. Hannathy

Hannathy <font color=darkorchid>When I stop laughing I will

well that makes more sense that they aren't in the same class. Because I was thinking if they sit next to each other all day what difference would sitting next to each other somewhere else make.

9. Kellydelly

Kellydelly DIS Veteran

You are doing what any NORMAL parent would do, protecting your kid from further unecessary exposure to a child with a case of lice. I have the feeling that this mom has not taken this as seriously as she should and hasn't washed every piece of bedding in her house, bagged up stuffed animals and other items, and actually spent hours looking for nits. This is my worst possible nightmare, and luckily I haven't had to deal with it but my poor sister did recently and she did not give one hair treatment and have the lice and nits go away. It takes at least a couple treatments and cleaning your home thoroughly. I would never expect anyone to want to stay with my possibly nit infected kid for a weekend party. That mom is a idiot and I am suprised at how many people responded here that they would send their kid. Not me! I would be running out to buy some tea tree oil hair products and avoiding close contact with that girl for a little while. Lice is no joke to deal with, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone that I like ;).

10. luvsJack

luvsJack DIS Veteran

The op should or course do what she feels is best but I don't know why anyone would be surprised that some have said they would let their child go. All 3 of my kids have had lice and I have had them all at different times. I have thick coarse curly hair that makes it really hard to use the nit comb. Just never had the. issues getting rid of them that some of you have had. For that reason I just don't freak out about them. RID always worked in two apps.