Another Disappointed 2006 Bride

janine

DIS Veteran
I just got off the phone after speaking to Jennifer (my EM).
I told her I had spoken to a lady from this board that had her reception at the summer house at the GF, and that I really liked the sound of it.
She told me that I could not have it as I would have to be a custom bride.
She said if that is what I wanted she could pass me on to the custom brides department.
I have contacted the conventions department to see how much this reception may cost me, and if it is worth me going custom to get this, then so be it. Otherwise I can only have 'dinner' in a hotel restaurant, and go into Epcot to watch (without my wedding attire), or watch it from the bridge.
I wanted something a little 'magical' for my guests, ie fireworks etc, and now it alls seems flat & boring.
I always thought it would be so much easier to have a wedding at Disney.
Janine

I also asked her the 2006 price for intimates and it is $2450, it has gone up $100.
I asked how much discounts were on tickets for guests, and she said they average $5-$10 per ticket depending on which ticket you buy.
I think it may still be worth shopping around don't you?

Janine- Have you thought about treating your guests to a fireworks cruise? I'm not sure exactly how many guests you have, but this might be a great option for you. There are many past Disney brides on the boards who have had intimate weddings, and had an amazing experience. I wouldn't give up if you really want a Disney wedding. Best wishes. :wizard:

Hi
yes I have thought of that. In fact it was my first thought to have dinner aboard the Grand 1 yacht, but the maximum allowed is 13 and there is 15 of us.
I just can't decide what to do. I feel I am running out of ideas except go custom (GULP!).
I looked at the custom wishbook to make a plan, and I still only came to $5000.
I would have to add on lots & lots of bits to meet it.

Janine, don’t lose heart! There are still lots of neat things you can do with your guests with an Intimate Wedding.

It’s true that your venue choices are quite limited with an Intimate Wedding and you have to go Ccustom to get access to a wider variety of venues. However, there are many wonderful and very unique restaurants on Disney property where you could take your guests after your ceremony. I hear that Narcoossee’s at the Grand Floridian has a view of the Electrical Water Pageant and possibly Wishes as well. Also, you could try to rent two of the pontoon boats to do Illuminations cruises. Each boat will hold up to 10 adults, so with two boats you would have plenty of room. Plus, all the boats are close to each other during Illuminations itself. You could also think about attending a Disney dinner show like the Spirit of Aloha one at the Poly or the Hoop Dee Doo over at Ft. Wilderness.

Janine,
I'm planning my intimate vow renewal. I've found you can have many of the same options as a custom bride but you have to book them seperately yourself. For example if you wanted an illuminations dessert party, you call Epcot catering and events to book it seperately yourself. Same with the Grand Floridian ...call them yourself and book your party seperate from your intimate wedding.
More work on your part but it should be worth it to get what you want and not spend the extra ca$h.

crissy

Hi
Thanks for the info.
I tried calling the GF conventions dept and they told me if I was having an intimate wedding I would need to let me EM take care of it, and told me to contact her.
My EM says no you can't have it there unless you go custom.
hmmm!
Janine

Janet2k could tell you more. But I was sure that she said she has held more than one private affair there including one as part of an intimate vow renewal. Maybe she'll pop over here and give you some advice.

I think I would try insisting that my em check again to see if it is possible. Or maybe try talking to the GF conventions and tell them you want to book the party on such and such date . Plan it seperate from your wedding. If omitting that you're having an intimate wedding earlier that day when talking to GF is what it takes then I would do it.
If those things don't work, then I guess you'll have to decide on custom or an alternative.

Crissy

Hi
I tried again and this time I got a nice lady that didn't dismiss me, just because I am having an intimate wedding. I wasn't going to mention the wedding until she asked if it was a special occasion. I am not a good liar so I told her it was a wedding dinner.
She said that's not a problem, took all the details and someone will call me back today. Fingers crossed they do.
Janine

I'm so glad it worked out! I'm having doubts about the intimate. We would really like a reception like dinner after, and I want to invite more than 10 people. And we really want a private fireworks show. :(

The numbers now are 18 guest for an intimate, but that includes bridesmaids and groomsmen, even flower girls/ring bearers . They even count children under 3 in that number if I was told correctly.

Crissy

Actually it is 18 guests, (total count of 20 including the bride and groom). I am having an intimate wedding on November 1st and we have 18 guests. I have also called to look into a private dinner at the Grand Floridian and there was no problem but it was not what we really wanted so today I booked the Illuminations dessert party. So we will be getting married at 10am then we have the cake cutting, toast and couple of scheduled dances at the Floridian reception for 1 hour (it is blocked for us for 1 hour) and then off to lunch at Porta Bellos (sp?) at 12:30 and back to the Boardwalk Villas at 2:30 for a well needed nap! Then off to Epcot around 8pm for the dessert party. An intimate bride can have as much as she wants she just has to figure out how to go about booking everything. I know it can be confusing and I had to call many numbers and talk to many people to finally get some info but the GF reception or a dessert party at Epcot or MGM can both be done by intimate brides. Hope this info helps!

For your reception, could you do the Chef's Table at Victoria & Alberts? I don't know how many they'll seat, but I've read that this is an incredible experience.

MApigletfan,

Are you going to be allowed to wear your bridal gown for the illuminations dessert party?

No gown at the Illuminations dessert party if you are an intimate bride, but that is fine with me. Since we have from 2:30 to around 8:00pm with no activities planned, I plan on putting on some comforable relaxing clothes and taking a nap. I am sure that I will be tired, will be to excited or nervous to sleep much the night before and I have to wake up early to get my boys ready, so a nap sounds great to me. :rotfl:

Janine -- Please let me know what you find out about a party at the Summerhouse at GF (including photos). We are getting married on Castaway Cay in 2006. The more I think about it, the more I want to do something special for our guests at WDW the night before we sail (we are going to recommend everyone arrive in FL the night before to avoid problems with the airlines and then them missing the boat). I think it would be fun to have a welcome dinner party at the Summerhouse and Wishes viewing, then go to one of the mini golf places for a mini golf tourney. It will give everyone a chance to get comfy with each other before we are all together on the DCL for several days. There will be 14 of us. The private room at Palo's restaurant on the DCL only holds 14 adults, so we are only having 14 people at the wedding including us.

I'm eager to learn what time they think you should start the party in order to be on the dessert course by Wishes, cost per person, menu choice, etc, etc.

Thank you!!

Jennifer

Hi
another 2 days have passed and no one called me back like they promised they would. ahh well back to the drawing board I think.
I may opt for the yachtsman or the concourse instead as I have heard good reports about them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter