Annual pass changes coming........

As a FL resident, we're not happy about this at all. There's no longer any real fl resident discount. We had annual passes that expired last July and loved them, used them all year long - took all kinds of day trips. But we never used photopass, just not our thing. So we didn't renew thought we'd take a few months off, and now the price increase is huge, unless we start to put up with blackout dates. That sucks - I don't want to get blocked out at Christmas, those are some of the best times to go. Looking at this, we probably won't buy passes at all. I know Disney doesn't care about losing individual customers as long as they make more money in the long run, but it's pretty disheartening.

I don't know what to think about being "blocked out" from any dates, that's something new....

Depends on how you do the math. 1500 for food + 150 for TiW = 1650 total spend. $300.00 savings in food divided into 1650 total spend is 18%- unless I am really bad at math :)- which is probably the case.
The math is $300-$150=$150 savings/$1500 purchase = 10% ;), but I get your point :D. Obviously, if you spend more, on multiple trips (which is the only way TIW every makes sense IMO), you save more, e.g. assuming $2,500/wk. (2 sit downs a day for family of 4 with 2 kids) @ 2 weeks = 17%; @3 weeks = 18% :teacher:
And depending on the restaurant and/or whether you purchased alcohol.. That 10% true discount might actually be 0%. IE, a person who gets TIW for $150 is by definition a DVC member, or a passholder who already gets a 10% discount on many of the restaurants in TIW.
FYI, 57 out of 102 (56%) of the restaurants that accept a TIW do no accept any other discounts per mouseperks.com.

I bought two vouchers for annual passes that we pan to activate when we are in WDW in December. These were for regular Annual passes - paid $654 each. So if I read things correctly if we don't pay the difference between these and the new "platinum" pass we will have everything EXCEPT the photo paste benefits. I can live with that. For now.

When this pass expires in December 2016 I doubt we will continue getting annual passes and thus take less trips to WDW.

My biggest issue with the price increase, as a family it made a lot of sense to have one person buy a higher level pass, and the rest of the family have lower level passes. Now you are paying for the "free" parking (and photopass) you don't need multiple times, which can add up pretty quick for a decent size family.

Confused.. We are DVC members in Texas. Can we buy Platinum or the Gold we don't live in Florida is that correct? The difference between Platinum and Gold and the blocked out dates ? :)

This is all I am trying to say. The same thing goes for already activated tickets.

Yes... but the point that was being made is there is something Different happening in this round of price changes than in February.

Previously... If a person bought an AP in January before the February price increase. Then in March wanted to upgrade to the PAP. The difference they would pay is the (new) March cost of the AP and the (new) March cost of the PAP. The original price paid was irrelevant in the calculation.

Today it's slightly different... There is NO mapping of the AP to the new Platinum pass (or PAP to P+). In fact, technically there was NO price change on the AP or PAP. They are simply discontinued products. So Disney is using the old/last price of that product to calculate the upgrade.... This is what is different in the upgrades that are being performed today (and a slight departure from prior experiences).

BTW, it should be noted... Those upgrading from Weekday selects and Epcot after 4 are getting the NEW price of their existing ticket for upgrade purposes. Those two tickets were not discontinued and did experience a price increase today. (And of course anyone who bought tickets before the February increase are getting the benefit of the post increase pricing when upgrading as well).

Confused.. We are DVC members in Texas. Can we buy Platinum or the Gold we don't live in Florida is that correct? The difference between Platinum and Gold and the blocked out dates ? :)

Edit - removed incorrect information

Not true. non-resident DVC members can buy the Gold AP as well. Only the Silver, Weekday Select, and Epcot after-4 pass are Florida resident exclusives.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I'm in the minority here. We currently have Weekday passes, and were planning to renew the same in November. For us, the changes are good. Our total renewal price is about $60 more, but we get free parking now. That's 3 days worth of parking, and since we take several day trips each year, we'll save some money there.

The 50% increase in TiW really sucks though. We finally bought it in August, and are quite enjoying it. I'm not sure it's worth it at an extra $50.

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here. We currently have Weekday passes, and were planning to renew the same in November. For us, the changes are good. Our total renewal price is about $60 more, but we get free parking now. That's 3 days worth of parking, and since we take several day trips each year, we'll save some money there.

The 50% increase in TiW really sucks though. We finally bought it in August, and are quite enjoying it. I'm not sure it's worth it at an extra $50.

I'd say it was good except only one of us needs "free parking".

As a FL resident, we're not happy about this at all. There's no longer any real fl resident discount. We had annual passes that expired last July and loved them, used them all year long - took all kinds of day trips. But we never used photopass, just not our thing. So we didn't renew thought we'd take a few months off, and now the price increase is huge, unless we start to put up with blackout dates. That sucks - I don't want to get blocked out at Christmas, those are some of the best times to go. Looking at this, we probably won't buy passes at all. I know Disney doesn't care about losing individual customers as long as they make more money in the long run, but it's pretty disheartening.

I agree that the Florida residents and DVC took the worst of these price increases this time around. But the #1 benefit Florida residents have always had with Disney prices is the ability to pay significantly less for passes than everyone else, in exchange for blackouts. In fact, why else would Disney treat their Florida customers different than out of state guests, other than the fact they through discounted tickets can encourage residents to come at non-peak times who are more likely to be able to due to their proximity to the parks.

The charts states DVC members however DVC member can only purchase the Platinum and Platinum Plus...correct ?

Here is my Comparison Chart of old/new WDW Passes Prices/Benefits I posted on other forums last night (DIS was down):

Walt%20Disney%20World%20Passes_zps1egoxqk5.png

Sources:
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/ticket-tour/walt-disney-world-pass/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/florida-residents/passholder-program/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/m...enefits/WDW-AnnualPass-Blockout-Calendars.pdf
https://shop.omniticket.com/wdw/renewal/index.cfm

Correct. All DVC members can buy the Gold pass, regardless of what state (or country) they live in.

Not true. non-resident DVC members can buy the Gold AP as well. Only the Silver, Weekday Select, and Epcot after-4 pass are Florida resident exclusives.

Thank you for the clarification. Editing previous post.

So we have vouchers to activate our AP on our trip in December (5th-11th). We are DVC members and this is our first trip as owners and with AP's. So we could "upgrade" ONE of our passes to the Gold pass and have photopass for the 3 trips we have planned (Dec/May/Sept) for $20?

We will never EVER travel during the blackout periods so the changes aren't awful, but they are annoying. And now our plans to buy TiW are out the window as it no longer is a deal for us (we don't drink)....but I would be happy to stick it to the mouse by using the HELL out of photopass for a mere $20 over the next year!

Whew that makes me feel better with a large family taking a huge hit at 120 plus a ticket for 9 people... We will just go with Gold and Blocked out dates if this is correct.. crossing fingers! :)

Even this site states "For Florida Residents"

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2015/...l-passholder-program-prices-for-parking-rise/

Disney Platinum Pass
New: $749 + tax

Florida Residents and DVC Members $649 + tax.

Platinum Pass Includes: Parking, park hopping, no blockout dates, Photopass, admission to all 4 parks

For Florida residents Disney is offering:

Disney Gold Pass:
New: Florida Residents and DVC Members $549 + tax.

Gold Pass Includes: Parking, park hopping, Photopass, admission to all 4 parks, Block Out Dates: December 17–31, 2015; January 1, 2016; March 19–April 1, 2016; December 16–31, 2016; January 1–2, 2017.

I'm actually really excited about the new AP photopass benefit, and don't mind paying for it. My only issue would be them not pro-rating the price difference for current AP holders who want to bridge over to receive the new benefits. I don't mind a surcharge at all, but I feel like we should only pay for the months we will be able to use it, not months that happened before the new feature.
The PhotoPass benefit is worth $300-$450 assuming 2-3 trips per year, which compared to the $300-400 AP price increase per family of 4 is a wash.
The charts states DVC members however DVC member can only purchase the Platinum and Platinum Plus...correct ?
Correct. All DVC members can buy the Gold pass, regardless of what state (or country) they live in.
DVC can buy Gold (which includes PhotoPass downloads but has March/December block out dates):
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/ticket-tour/walt-disney-world-pass/.

See my previous post for a summary of all announced and confirmed prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter