Annual pass changes coming........

Time will tell if they overplayed their hand or not but based on their profits and attendance over the last 5 years every time they have made a change like this the effects have been positive despite all the complaining here.

From 2009 to 2014 (5 years) DisneyWorld attendance is up a total of 9.37%
From 2009 to 2014 (5 years) Universal Orlando attendance is up a total of 38.15%
(source wikipedia List of amusement park rankings)

Disney is still the clear #1 and likely always will be, but Universal is growing leaps and bounds due to their MUCH lower cost and MUCH faster pace of adding new Headliner Attractions. Largely irrelevant for first timers, but increasingly important for repeat visitors.

If I already have annual passes do I automatically get the photopass?
No

So pretty much if you have the regular AP now that becomes the Platinum and the Platinum now becomes the Platinum Plus?
Yes

Okay, also probably answered but if we have a current AP when we renew next (even if switching from Premium to Platinum Plus or Regular AP to Platinum), we will still receive the renewal rates?
Yes

Disney doesn't need to have a great deal in annual passes to get people to come, so they can raise the prices to whatever they want (unfortunately).

If I lived near Orlando, I would get one in a heartbeat (no matter the cost), but since I don't, I don't see the annual pass being a value unless I was going to go on multiple LONG trips within one calendar year.

I am trying to put a value on an out-of-state annual pass .. how many days would I need to go to make $750 "worth" it? When you can get theme park tickets for 10 days for half that cost ... you'd have to go a LOT to make that price worth it it seems.

Every time I see this thread title I think:
2247124.jpg

Just me? :p

The price increase is only $107 for the regular annual pass. Memory Maker is $160 if bought ahead of time. Memory maker runs out in a month, you get to download all your photo pass photos all year with the new pass rules. I think this change is wonderful and very much worth while.

Disney doesn't need to have a great deal in annual passes to get people to come, so they can raise the prices to whatever they want (unfortunately).

If I lived near Orlando, I would get one in a heartbeat (no matter the cost), but since I don't, I don't see the annual pass being a value unless I was going to go on multiple LONG trips within one calendar year.

I am trying to put a value on an out-of-state annual pass .. how many days would I need to go to make $750 "worth" it? When you can get theme park tickets for 10 days for half that cost ... you'd have to go a LOT to make that price worth it it seems.
Worth it is harder to figure without knowing your touring habits. If you compare an AP to a PH pass it makes it a more even comparison since an AP allows you the opportunity to hop. If you never, ever hop, wouldn't even with an AP, then that makes it much harder to bridge the costs. But if you'd like to hop but don't because you want to save the money on your tickets then is helps bridge the cost.
Plus, there are some additional discounts that come with an AP. They are small but depending on your touring style they are included in the cost savings
You get a discount on all purchases in the stores, unlike the $50 min that comes with Disney Visa
There are room discounts on top of regular discounts. Most are just 5% more but sometimes they are more, sometimes less. Again, if they benefit you depends on how you like to stay.
Parking and MB are included, for those that off site
Some tours and meals are discounted for AP holders too. Again, if you are a Disney Visa holder you already get these same discounts so they may or may not benefit you

They definitely need a kids AP or at least a gold + that doesn't include parking or PP, 650 for a 9 year old is insane, but like most we'll suck it up and charge it to the game.

Apparently not enough people chose YES on the Disney AP survey when they asked: Do you think Disney is GREEDY?

I did my part and clicked yes. So no one can blame me for this round of highway robbery.

And before someone says you don't have to go, I bought a 50 year contract to stay on site, so I kind of do. This might be part of the increases too; Disney may have signed enough of us on the dotted line to guarantee that they have a trapped population.

And yes I can sell my contract. But I better do it quickly, because the bottom is about to fall out of these contracts when the resale market is flooded.
I just inquired this morning about selling my DVC contracts.

I guess we are an exception. We're AP holders that still spend far too much money on our hotels, food, and souvenirs, even with the APs.

Us too! I have a 3 day trip next week at Polynesian with DxDP. I am sure we will spend a some more money at F&W. Sinece I don't spend a lot on travel I spend more at the parks! We don't use a lot of perks like MDE, so we sort of pay for those things we don't use. I guess this will be the case with the photo pass now.
Some of our trips are less extravagant, but over the course of a year I spend a lot of money at Disney. Over the past 40 years I bet I have spent more than the average family has over a lifetime.

You would only have to go for two separate one week trips to make it worth it. Assuming you are out of state, A 7 day adult park hopper is $450 x 2 trips = $900. Mem maker =$160 x 2 trips = $320. $900+$320=$1220. The price of the new annual pass aka. Platinum pass = $800 after tax. You get significant savings on just 2 trips.

[QUOTE="MrInfinity, post: 54531617, member: 441626]

For me, the APs didn't make sense before and they still won't now, even after having seen the MYW tickets and now finally the AP prices all go up. For our trip, 7-Day tix are running us $310 after taxes, so even on the "before" pricing even getting two trips out of an AP would not be a savings. You really have to want to go a lot before the AP will be worth it. Around 3 tourist trips per year or a bunch of weekends if you're local.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, WDW website shows a 7 day base ticket at $356 after taxes, $424 with park hopper. So are you buying your tickets from somewhere else to get them for $310?

I do believe had they added back in a child discount for AP people would be *****ing a little less.

I guess we (my family) can't complain much as we hit the break even point in the first few months. But yea I think that would quell a lot of the pitchforks as full price for anyone under driving age is quite stupid and sorry PP is NOT a perk, your still paying for it.

I do believe had they added back in a child discount for AP people would be *****ing a little less.
The difference from child to adult ticket is about $6, I think. So they assume that an annual ticket has already met that discount for use, basically. There are no child discounts on annual passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter